• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

The patent itself covers a way to deal with these incompatible discs: Return errors (or something along those lines). That's all it does by its own. Which is why I think it has always rather contradicted your argument.

And since you have provided a >1000 page document (Mt. Fuji), please point me to pages that support your argument. I think you can save yourself the trouble though, because this document seems to solely deal with software, so of course it won't mention required physical changes. Hell, it says on the title page that 'this document provides for commands to implement'. Just from that I would think that it doesn't tell you how to actually build your drive at all. I might be totally off, but I believe you have just misunderstood what that document provides and jumped to the conclusion, that all changes could simply be made in software.

Please point me to that 'Panasonic-Sony tweak' though. I don't know what to look for.
That's the point, there are no physical changes, it's all firmware changes.

1) This 2010 article is about the Panasonic - Sony tweak 33GB/layer disks. http://kotaku.com/5441116/sony-increasing-the-storage-capacity-of-blu-ray-discs
2) They can be read by standard drives but maybe not reliably (see iMLSE below).
3) If a drive is firmware updated it can reliably read a 33 GB/layer disk
4) The patent is about inverting the track information of a 33 GB/layer disk so it can't be read by a drive that has not yet been firmware updated. The firmware update is mentioned in the cite on line #1

The V2 format was in the 2010 Sony patent mentioned by NAME as V2 that mentioned the Panasonic-Sony tweek that allowed the extra compression which Sony said just required a Firmware update and the same patent mentioned that drives in 2010 could read the three layers. The 2010 BD-R whitepaper updated the specs so that a drive could reliably read three layers with the tweak which is why BDXL can read version 2 UHD disks. .

Page 32 of thr BDA whitepaper says this:

Table 1.4.3.1 shows brief physical specifications of Ultra HD Blu-ray™ discs. Dual-Layer (DL) disc of 50 GB & 66 GB and Triple-Layer (TL) disc of 100GB are applied for ROM. The liner density of 66 GB DL and 100 GB TL ROM disc is same as that of 100 GB BDXL™.

Table 1.4.3.1 shows Minimum-Mark length 0.149 &#956;m 25GB/layer <> 0.112 &#956;m 33GB/layer Mark length is shorter for 33GB/layer

The signal quality of 25 GB SL disc or 50 GB DL disc is measured by Limit Equalizer. On the other hand, since the liner density becomes higher (with reduced mark length) , the new signal quality evaluation index as i-MLSE, which stands for integrated Maximum Likelihood Sequence error Estimation using PR (1,2,2,2,1) is applied for 66 GB DL disc, 100 GB TL disc or 128 GB QL disc [This is the firmware update in #1 above, the Panasonic- Sony firmware tweak for 33GB/layer]
The Mount Fuji book goes into more detail on all the changes needed and they are summarized in the differences between book 8 and 9. which I listed here. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206412916&postcount=703

And then for the less technically minded, the Microsoft VP said in 2013 at the Launch for the XB1 that the Hardware is there to support UHD Blu-ray. Which means he knew that the drive could be firmware updated and the XB1 was UHD Capable. The latter was confirmed with the release of the April 2015 letter I cited.

horkrux

That's the point, there are no physical changes, it's all firmware changes.

No. A document meant to talk about software changes does not fit the argument that there would be no physical changes.

The kotaku article is wrong. I've read quite a few news articles on that topic now and it has become apparent, that old drives being compatible with those discs is just some outlets jumping to conclusions. It wasn't guaranteed that the drives would be compatible. The format also never seemed to have materialized - until now of course. No 66GB games for PS3 :(

The whitepaper explicitly states:

50GB Ultra HD Blu-ray™ disc cannot be played back by the players designed with Blu-ray Disc™ Read-Only format (2K/HD) specified in Mar. 2011 because of incompatibility of video coding methods, content protection systems, Disc Information, etc..

Now they are not even talking about three-layered discs here or DL 66GB, but only DL, 50GB.
BDXL is also incompatible with normal drives (of course), for which they have fancy pictures even. Now I know you want to believe that something happened between then and now that changed this, but I still haven't seen any real evidence that it did. Juggling around all those old documents sure doesn't help, when all evidence apparantly has to be 'read between the lines.'

Since no normal players today have actually been made compatible by a firmware update, you'd have to argue that it was just a conspiracy to force us to buy new drives.

So don't upgrade to S if I'm looking for a cheap 4k player?
If you're in the market for an Ultra HD Blu-ray player now-ish, you're unlikely to find a player of that quality and with that assured level of support at that price point anytime soon. The S seems like a great bet to me. The Samsung player (the only standalone in the U.S. right now) is $399, so if you're going to spend that much anyway, why not get a sexier Xbox in the process?

There has been no official word in years about Ultra HD Blu-ray support in the existing models. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Plus...hey! Ultra HD Blu-ray playback is ready to go and everything on the S:

1465938013_1.jpg

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It was never going to happen, they had not even finalized the spec in 2013 when these launched. This is never going to happen irrespective of the length of posts that Jeff keeps on posting.
To be fair, neither was 3D when the PS3 launched.

mjpopcorn.gif

No. A document meant to talk about software changes does not fit the argument that there would be no physical changes.
Which is why I never made that argument until you brought it up but it's true.

The kotaku article is wrong. I've read quite a few news articles on that topic now and it has become apparent, that old drives being compatible with those discs is just some outlets jumping to conclusions. It wasn't guaranteed that the drives would be compatible. The format also never seemed to have materialized - until now of course. No 66GB games for PS3 :(
First, the 2010 BD-R whitepaper, 2010 Patent and 2010 Panasonic-Sony tweak show everyone setting what would become the UHD Blu-ray disk in 2010. Even if a drive couldn't, as the article states, be firmware updated to reliably read a disk with a reduced mark length they had three years to insure BD-ROM drives that could. We should be able to assume newer drives able to read at more than 6X (1.5 times what is needed for UHD Blu-ray to support HEVC multi-view plus depthmap that requires 1.5 times the bandwidth/size for 3D and VR) would support iMLSE.

The whitepaper explicitly states:

50GB Ultra HD Blu-ray&#8482; disc cannot be played back by the players designed with Blu-ray Disc&#8482; Read-Only format (2K/HD) specified in Mar. 2011 because of incompatibility of video coding methods, content protection systems, Disc Information, etc..
Now they are not even talking about three-layered discs here or DL 66GB, but only DL, 50GB.
If you carefully read that sentence it's saying that the 50GB standard disk can be read by a standard drive but can't be played by a HD player because of HEVC, AACS2 and disk directory/Java engine etc. changes.

BDXL is also incompatible with normal drives (of course), for which they have fancy pictures even. Now I know you want to believe that something happened between then and now that changed this, but I still haven't seen any real evidence that it did. Juggling around all those old documents sure doesn't help, when all evidence apparently has to be 'read between the lines.'

Since no normal players today have actually been made compatible by a firmware update, you'd have to argue that it was just a conspiracy to force us to buy new drives.
The major change to a BD-ROM drive is the ability to read a version 2 disk reliably because the mark length was reduced to increase the density of the disk. That is a routine called iMLSE that was developed before 2010 and became a part of the 2010 BD-R spec, Panasonic-Sony Tweak and mentioned in the 2010 patent. iMLSE is in the BDA whitepaper and Mount Fuji book 9 for UHD 33Gb/layer version 2 disks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray said:
On January 1, 2010, Sony, in association with Panasonic, announced plans to increase the storage capacity on their Blu-ray Discs from 25 GB to 33.4 GB via a technology called i-MLSE (Maximum likelihood Sequence Estimation). The higher-capacity discs, according to Sony, will be readable on current Blu-ray Disc players with a firmware upgrade.

The drive must additionally support BD+ and BD-ROM mark which the PS3 drives support. The drive must pair for a key to support encryption across the USB or eSATA which the PS3 does but for PCs must be able to do this with a drive manufacturer supplied server which also supports a white list. AACS2 and BD+ routines must run in the TEE. The Mount Fuji book changes from book 8 to 9 give the changes to the firmware needed to support this and I've read them all in about an hour and they do not require hardware changes.

As to reading 3 or more layers.

In January 2007, Hitachi showcased a 100 GB Blu-ray Disc, consisting of four layers containing 25 GB each.[78] Unlike TDK and Panasonic's 100 GB discs, they claim this disc is readable on standard Blu-ray Disc drives that are currently in circulation, and it is believed that a firmware update is the only requirement to make it readable to current players and drives.[79]

In December 2008, Pioneer Corporation unveiled a 400 GB Blu-ray Disc (containing 16 data layers, 25 GB each) that will be compatible with current players after a firmware update. Its planned launch is in the 2009&#8211;10 time frame for ROM and 2010&#8211;13 for rewritable discs. Ongoing development is underway to create a 1 TB Blu-ray Disc as soon as 2013.[80]
Sony has a BDA licence for a BD-ROM4 spec drive (UHD) but they have not made drives since 2012. Key here is the drive and Player require a server for encryption key pairing across the USB or eSATA and a white list server which is maintained by the drive licencee. So for my speculation to be accurate, beyond the firmware update Sony has to buy a licence for the BD-ROM4 drive and provide the servers. Since Sony has a UHD blu-ray licence for every platform which includes PCs they just need to work with drive manufacturers and they can firmware update any drive and provide the servers as part of the Player PC application. LG-Hitachi is the only other BD-ROM4 licencee so every UHD Player out now would have to have a drive made by LG-Hitachi.

LG-Hitachi is the only other BD-ROM4 licencee so every UHD Player out now would have to have a drive made by LG-Hitachi.
You're seriously arguing that the Samsung, Panasonic, and Philips standalone players all have drives by Hitachi-LG? There is no way in hell that Samsung would ever build a product using LG hardware. Why would any manufacturer with a long history of making Blu-ray drives possibly have to rely on Hitachi-LG as a supplier? You need to provide proof for such an outlandish claim. Why would you possibly think a PC license somehow extends to supplying the drives for every other UHD BD device? I can't quickly find evidence of Hitachi-LG being responsible for anything other than laptop/desktop optical drives.

For what it's worth, Xbox chief Phil Spencer uses lots of terms/phrases you dislike about what makes the S different:

With upgrading the HDMI technology in the box, we're able to support 4K video streaming. So we said, okay, if we're going to support 4K video streaming, let's also put a UHD Blu-ray drive in there for 4K disc, so you can watch video in 4K.

The one definitive feature that's different is HDR. So, with the increased HDMI capability, it has the ability to support High Dynamic Range.

Also:

But I'll say, having an Xbox One at $299 is going to be really important for us. It's the only $299 console on the market right now, and it supports 4K video with the S, that's going to be a really good selling feature for us, and we've got our biggest lineup of games coming this year in 2016.

If every Xbox One will be able to play UHD content in the next couple of months, why make the distinction?

Stevey

I don't really get this thread.
Like if its true why are they holding it back?
Why would they hide it?
Doesn't make sense at all, like why would MS release the new Xbox and advertise it as a 4K blu ray player if the One could already do it, but its locked away behind firmware?

Planet

As to reading 3 or more layers.
This article specifically refers to variants with 25GB per layer, so that may be just fine, but has no relevance for the UHD-Blu-ray standard, which goes for the 33GB layers, which the very same article states as unable to be made compatible with a firmware update.

You disprove yourself and don't even notice it.

You're seriously arguing that the Samsung, Panasonic, and Philips standalone players all have drives by Hitachi-LG? There is no way in hell that Samsung would ever build a product using LG hardware. Why would any manufacturer with a long history of making Blu-ray drives possibly have to rely on Hitachi-LG as a supplier? You need to provide proof for such an outlandish claim. Why would you possibly think a PC license somehow extends to supplying the drives for every other UHD BD device? I can't quickly find evidence of Hitachi-LG being responsible for anything other than laptop/desktop optical drives.
Sorry, the drive licence is included with embedded and Game console players but think about what you are pointing out:

BD-ROM4 Movie Player/BD-ROM Game Console/BD-ROM Test Player
Dongguan Digital AV Technology Corp., Ltd.China
Funai Electric Co., Ltd.Japan
Mitsubishi Electric CorporationJapan
Panasonic Japan
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Korea
Sony Corporation Japan
Sony (UHD PC Drive Licence) doesn't make drives since 2012 and you are saying Hitachi-LG (second PC drive Licence) can't be providing the drives for the other Embedded UHD Blu-ray players so there are multiple BD-ROM4 spec drives being made by multiple companies or is it that the standard drive is firmware update-able and they buy one and have it firmware updated for their player.

Sorry, the drive licence is included with embedded and Game console players but think about what you are pointing out:
I know exactly what I'm pointing out: you made a completely outlandish claim that doesn't stand up to the slightest bit of thought or scrutiny.

Why would it be some kind of shocking revelation that the Samsung Ultra HD Blu-ray player has a Samsung drive? They've made Blu-ray drives for ages. Ditto for Panasonic and Philips. The crux of everything you've been ranting about is that there's no such thing as an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive, so why would established Blu-ray drive manufacturers all of a sudden have to farm out that work?

Chinn, NO ONE brought any evidence to this thread that the Launch consoles would not support ALL UHD media.
This is not really a great argument because if the initial argument (i.e. your evidence) is full of holes...one does not need to counter it with the counter-factual.
C I brought evidence to this thread that they could and were officially UHD capable.
This evidence you mention was never sufficient enough beyond its speculation and news paper clipping-like approach. I think that is why most people dismissed the content of this thread.

SPCTRE

Sony opens the conference:

"We've heard you wanted 4k blu-ray, right? Just update your console now. This one is for you Jeff!"

*drops the mic
one could probably argue that crazier things have happened*

*itsstillnothappening.gif

I don't really get this thread.
Like if its true why are they holding it back?
Why would they hide it?
Doesn't make sense at all, like why would MS release the new Xbox and advertise it as a 4K blu ray player if the One could already do it, but its locked away behind firmware?
Why didn't Microsoft announce UHD Capable and HEVC support in the XB1. They had test benches running multiple XB1s with HEVC streams before launch but didn't announce HEVC till June 2015 and within days AMD announces that they use the same hardware for HEVC that is in the XB1. Why did Sony announce no DLNA support in the PS4 when they always had plans to support Vidipath which requires DLNA?

There must be a NDA still in effect. Having tens of millions of UHD blu-ray players out in consumer hands will have an impact on sectors of the CE industry including stock price and official announcements must be controlled. The Letters I cited mentioning Launch PS4 and XB1 UHD Capability were put on the web I think April 2016 but were written April 2015.

Having tens of millions of UHD blu-ray players out in consumer hands will have an impact on sectors of the CE industry including stock price and official announcements must be controlled.
...but you're still hellbent on claiming that this is coming to all PS4s and Xbox Ones by mid-October at the latest, with very few standalone UHD BD models coming out between now and then. So what difference would a few months make? Why does the S get a free pass? Why does the Xbox camp say that the S requires new hardware (including the UHD BD drive you say doesn't exist), and why does the EVP in charge of PlayStation hardware say the same? Are they colluding to mask the existence of a magical firmware upgrade? Does it all tie into Sony-Microsoft.com?

The answer, of course, is that you're looking for a conspiracy where there is none.

Stevey

Why didn't Microsoft announce UHD Capable and HEVC support in the XB1. They had test benches running multiple XB1s with HEVC streams before launch but didn't announce HEVC till June 2015 and within days AMD announces that they use the same hardware for HEVC that is in the XB1. Why did Sony announce no DLNA support in the PS4 when they always had plans to support Vidipath which requires DLNA?

There must be a NDA still in effect. Having tens of millions of UHD blu-ray players out in consumer hands will have an impact on sectors of the CE industry including stock price and official announcements must be controlled. The Letters I cited mentioning Launch PS4 and XB1 UHD Capability were put on the web I think April 2016 but were written April 2015.

Ok, but why would they put 4k capable drives in the consoles if they couldn't be used for 4K and they couldn't tell anyone about it due to a theoretical NDA.
Surely that's just needlessly adding cost to the production of the console.

This is not really a great argument because if the initial argument (i.e. your evidence) is full of holes...one does not need to counter it with the counter-factual.

This evidence you mention was never sufficient enough beyond its speculation and news paper clipping-like approach. I think that is why most people dismissed the content of this thread.
Official recognition that the Launch PS4 and XB1 are UHD capable:

http://www.eceee.org/static/media/u.../games-consoles-va-letter-to-stakeholders.pdf

Second letter from Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo on Voluntary power which has Power Tiers confirming the Launch consoles can support UHD and will be updated Jan 2016. Further it has power tiers that align with the 2017 console refreshes/iterations and have a 2019 power tier which must be the next refresh iteration or generation console.

https://ec.europa.eu/energy/sites/e...les Self-Regulatory Initiative V1 - Final.pdf

Ok, but why would they put 4k capable drives in the consoles if they couldn't be used for 4K and they couldn't tell anyone about it due to a theoretical NDA.
Surely that's just needlessly adding cost to the production of the console.
If the HD blu-ray drive is firmware updateable then there is no additional cost except for HD blu-ray and licence. Why did Microsoft for the first time include HD Blu-ray in a console? Why for the first time is Sony going to support UHD blu-ray on PCs? The answer here I think is the UHD Blu-ray digital bridge which makes Game Consoles and PCs with Hard disks and HD/UHD players/drives and the digital bridge more valuable. Vidipath needs servers and customers setting up their home network to support this in preparation for the same with 4K antenna TV vidipath tuners and Cable TV DVRs that also support Vidipath.

Microsoft releasing Xbox dongle, Xbox Mini STB,Xbox1 Slim, XB1 Scorpio is also in preparation to use Vidipath. The same with Game sharing over the home network which has the hardware to support Vidipath over the home network when you add the Playready DRM.

For what it's worth, Xbox chief Phil Spencer uses lots of terms/phrases you dislike about what makes the S different:

Also:

If every Xbox One will be able to play UHD content in the next couple of months, why make the distinction?
And I agree this type of talk does seem to point to UHD blu-ray support starting with the Slim. Since the XB1 APU didn't get a refresh in 2015 like the PS4 Southbridge did, if I am totally wrong about everything, the 2015 version for the PS4 should be able to support UHD blu-ray while the XB1 would have to wait for the Slim 2016 version.

But we have to assume there is some reason Sony didn't announce UHD Blu-ray support for the 2015 second revision that launched at the end of 2015 about the same time UHD Players launched. Or we must believe that UHD blu-ray support in the consoles is not something that Sony would find attractive and isn't going to support UHD with the consoles. Microsoft is just throwing it in for giggles because they can and the $60,000 licence is not a factor nor is the contracting with third party for the player or the certification or required servers and all the other requirements that come with UHD Blu-ray support. "We are doing it just because we can."

So Sony or one of the other licencees is writing the Player for the XB1

BD-ROM4 Movie Player/BD-ROM Game Console/BD-ROM Test Player
Dongguan Digital AV Technology Corp., Ltd.China
Funai Electric Co., Ltd.Japan
Mitsubishi Electric CorporationJapan
Panasonic Japan
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Korea
Sony Corporation Japan
Every one of the above have their own embedded UHD player except for Sony but Sony has a licence for every platform including PCs. Could Sony perhaps know that Game consoles will be UHD blu-ray Players and there are already tens of millions of them on the market so releasing one now is not economical.

But we have to assume there is some reason Sony didn't announce UHD Blu-ray support for the 2015 second revision that launched at the end of 2015 about the same time UHD Players launched. Or we must believe that UHD blu-ray support in the consoles is not something that Sony would find attractive and isn't going to support UHD with the consoles.
...or that version of the PS4 isn't capable of Ultra HD Blu-ray either, in keeping with what Ito said. ...or there's the possibility that Sony is reserving that functionality for the Neo and on, regardless of what may be technically possible.

I guarantee you that approaching zero people know if they have that specific revision of the PS4. I mean, it's not as if it was marketed as being anything different. If it were possible to do a firmware update for those consoles only, that just seems like it'd lead to terrible confusion about who can watch what. Going to the time/expense to add that as a feature to an unlabeled subset of consoles would probably cause more harm than good.

...or that version of the PS4 isn't capable of Ultra HD Blu-ray either, in keeping with what Ito said. ...or there's the possibility that Sony is reserving that functionality for the Neo and on, regardless of what may be technically possible.

I guarantee you that approaching zero people know if they have that specific revision of the PS4. I mean, it's not as if it was marketed as being anything different. If it were possible to do a firmware update for those consoles only, that just seems like it'd lead to terrible confusion about who can watch what. Going to the time/expense to add that as a feature to an unlabeled subset of consoles would probably cause more harm than good.
UHD Capable means in the second letter that all the PS4 and XB1 consoles are UHD capable with the first letter stating the 2013 consoles are UHD capable. For your argument to be valid, UHD BLu-ray would not be considered a precursor for UHD Antenna TV (ATSC 3.0 in the US) or an additional Vidipath source on the home network.

Your previous post on Microsoft touting the Slim with UHD BLu-ray at little to no additional cost for the drive and the other requirements I mentioned amortized over millions of consoles:

With upgrading the HDMI technology in the box, we're able to support 4K video streaming. So we said, okay, if we're going to support 4K video streaming, let's also put a UHD Blu-ray drive in there for 4K disc, so you can watch video in 4K.

The one definitive feature that's different is HDR. So, with the increased HDMI capability, it has the ability to support High Dynamic Range.
1) HDR is part of the UHD Capability
2) increased HDMI capability is part of UHD Capability
3) UHD streaming is UHD Capability
4) The launch XB1 and PS4 are UHD Capable
5) The UHD drive costs no more than a HD drive or at least the price difference is negligible and it supports both HD and UHD blu-ray. Is a UHD drive a firmware updated HD drive? This is the only legitimate argument/question and only answerable with the MS VP statement at launch and a technical understanding from the BDA and Mount Fuji book which I am barely able to follow and could have missed something. I have shown that the Version 2 disk supported by the BD-ROM4 spec was envisioned prior to 2010 and specs published in 2010. A BD-ROM3 drive can be firmware updated to support Version 2 disks. The other differences appear to be firmware as far as the drive is concerned.

I hope this gets people to understand that a UHD drive is not expensive. Economy of scale is not built into the early release UHD Players while it is built into the game consoles. One of the reasons I believe the HD drive is firmware update-able is that it makes it easier and cheaper to support UHD blu-ray. This seems to be supported as the price of a drive supporting UHD on the XB1 slim did not change the price of the XB1 slim.

UHD Capable means in the second letter that all the PS4 and XB1 consoles are UHD capable with the first letter stating the 2013 consoles are UHD capable. For your argument to be valid, UHD BLu-ray would not be considered a precursor for UHD Antenna TV (ATSC 3.0 in the US) or an additional Vidipath source on the home network.
...but it's not established that every version of every PS4/XB1 console is UHD capable. I put zero stock in those vague, non-descriptive EU letters. If that's the only "evidence" you have without going back to quotes from 3 years ago, then you have nothing. I'm not sold on absolutely everything hinging on ATSC 3.0 or Vidipath either. That hasn't stopped standalone UHD BD players from existing.

1) HDR is part of the UHD Capability
No, HDR is a requirement of using the Ultra HD Premium label, but it's not inherently part of UHD.

Phil Spencer sure is making it sound like the original Xbox One can't stream 4K video or handle HDR, although he's certainly said some other questionable stuff over the past couple of days, so it's not certain how bulletproof that is.

Are you backing away from your fiery insistence that every version of every PS4/XB1 console can play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with a firmware update? Are you done calling people blithering idiots for daring to suggest that there is such a thing as an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive?

...but it's not established that every version of every PS4/XB1 console is UHD capable. I put zero stock in those vague, non-descriptive EU letters. If that's the only "evidence" you have without going back to quotes from 3 years ago, then you have nothing. I'm not sold on absolutely everything hinging on ATSC 3.0 or Vidipath either. That hasn't stopped standalone UHD BD players from existing.

No, HDR is a requirement of using the Ultra HD Premium label, but it's not inherently part of UHD.

Phil Spencer sure is making it sound like the original Xbox One can't stream 4K video or handle HDR, although he's certainly said some other questionable stuff over the past couple of days too.

Are you backing away from your fiery insistence that every version of every PS4/XB1 console can play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with a firmware update? Are you done calling people blithering idiots for daring to suggest that there is such a thing as an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive?
I occasionally rethink my position, do more research to confirm and am always open to proof. To this point, given the letters, my two year old views on this have been confirmed except for the drive against multiple posts saying I am insane, troubled, an idiot or worse and seriously condescending.

There is a stubborn insistence that UHD Capable does not mean UHD Capable when the PS3 is considered HD and it supports what you and others consider 4K support and what you think UHD capable means. I believe you are guilty of what you and others have accused me...your views are so rigid that you deny every point without thinking it through. Others are so locked into this that they fail to see the big picture which you have reffered to as yadda yadda yadda.

Only the DRIVE is in question which I am acknowledging. I have presented what should be proof if I read the paper correctly but no one else appears to want to do so to confirm. The last guy stopped at the first sentience that he thought meant the drive when it was talking about the player not able to read a standard disk with UHD blu-ray media. I had to read the line twice and did so because of my views.

If you read Phil Spencer's statements with my view, the HDMI port has likely been upgraded from supporting the basic HDMI 2 features to nearly the whole quote extensive set. Neo is getting a HDMI 2 upgrade as mentioned in the Developer notes.

Only the DRIVE is in question
Nope! There's also your misunderstanding of what UHD is. Look at Netflix's Ultra HD section and note the microscopic percentage of content with HDR, for instance. Oodles of UHD displays (not UHD Premium, though) do not support HDR.

I am also absolutely putting the EU letters into question as a resource of any real consequence, and virtually every dot you're connecting hinges on that.

except for the drive against multiple posts saying I am seriously condescending.
So you think things like:

For those who are clueless and assume the Launch XB1 can't support UHD Media,

are warm and cheery? You've repeatedly said that people who think that regular Blu-ray drive can't be firmware updated are clueless and ignorant. Do you not remember posting that animated GIF of a cartoon character flipping over a table when you got especially exasperated (for something you were ultimately wrong about)?

they fail to see the big picture which you have reffered to as yadda yadda yadda.
"yadda yadda yadda" is basically another way of saying "etc." It means I didn't feel like typing out a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be there. Pretend I wrote "Vidipath HTML5 <video> PlayReady ooVoo 4K Korean Olympics broadcasts ATSC 3.0" instead.

I believe you are guilty of what you and others have accused me...your views are so rigid that you deny every point without thinking it through.
My "view" is that there's a world of difference between fact and speculation. If you're guessing, even if it's an informed guess, don't present it as absolute fact, and for crying out loud, don't give specific date ranges that something will happen if it's just speculation. You're spreading misinformation! Yes, I am very rigid about that. For someone who's so obsessed with documentation and white papers, I'm sincerely surprised that you're not.

I've said all along that I'm open to the possibility that a firmware update could exist, although that's seemed less and less likely to happen as the days went on. (Why would I not want it to be true? I'm a home theater nut and own both of the consoles in question.) If I were putting bets on things a couple of years ago, I'd have said that UHD BD support was a lot more likely than Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, and look how that shook out. It's not the concept of UHD BD support that I've been questioning, exactly, so much as your methods for arriving at that conclusion (or, as I see it, you arrived at a conclusion and are grasping at straws to support it).

horkrux

Which is why I never made that argument until you brought it up but it's true.

Why, yes, of course you did. All I was saying is that claiming there to be no recessary physical changes cannot be proved by a document that only talks about software in general. It wouldn't mention it anyway.

First, the 2010 BD-R whitepaper, 2010 Patent and 2010 Panasonic-Sony tweak show everyone setting what would become the UHD Blu-ray disk in 2010. Even if a drive couldn't, as the article states, be firmware updated to reliably read a disk with a reduced mark length they had three years to insure BD-ROM drives that could. We should be able to assume newer drives able to read at more than 6X (1.5 times what is needed for UHD Blu-ray to support HEVC multi-view plus depthmap that requires 1.5 times the bandwidth/size for 3D and VR) would support iMLSE.

Like I have said: There was no reason at all for them to build their drives with this in mind when there is no medium available (for YEARS, 2016) that makes use of this except for BDXL, which are only compatible with drives that are explicitly labelled as BDXL-compatible. They want to sell new products and not stealth-release compatible drives years before the format is finalized.

If you carefully read that sentence it's saying that the 50GB standard disk can be read by a standard drive but can't be played by a HD player because of HEVC, AACS2 and disk directory/Java engine etc. changes.

No, the sentence doesn't say that at all. It says that it can't be played back.

The major change to a BD-ROM drive is the ability to read a version 2 disk reliably because the mark length was reduced to increase the density of the disk. That is a routine called iMLSE that was developed before 2010 and became a part of the 2010 BD-R spec, Panasonic-Sony Tweak and mentioned in the 2010 patent. iMLSE is in the BDA whitepaper and Mount Fuji book 9 for UHD 33Gb/layer version 2 disks

Alas we have yet to see any evidence that any actual non-BDXL drives were designed with this in mind (except for new UHD players of course). And you still haven't provided good evidence that physical changes haven't been necessary.

Regarding the wikipedia quotation: Please check the source for that claim (btw. it is the same problem as with the kotaku article)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3977

The source says 'might be compatible.' Now it might be the case that the source linked on wikipedia was only used for the second part of the statement and they took the claim that it was compatible from somewhere else (which would be even worse, no citation at all). I have reason to believe though that Sony and Panasonic never said that it will definitely be compatible. Here is another source, but it is in German:

Ob aktuell im Umlauf befindliche Abspielgeräte durch ein Upgrade aufgerüstet werden können, ließ der Bericht der "Nikkei" offen.

It says that Nikkei (the original source of this whole affair) didn't say whether currently available players could be upgraded (by firmware) to support this.
In the sentence before, they said that current laser optics would support this (that is what Sony and Panasonic have originally said), but there is more to a drive than that and so they were sensible enough not to make any claims of their own.

But we are talking about news articles from six years ago! The wikipedia article really is an amazing read -of disappointments that is, because nothing ever come out of these supposedly dead-sure innovations, that would have us see 200GB discs, compatible with drives of that time. There is one way to sum this all up:

itsfuckingnothing.gif

The Mount Fuji book changes from book 8 to 9 give the changes to the firmware needed to support this and I've read them all in about an hour and they do not require hardware changes.

Now you're just repeating what I have already adressed.

Why, yes, of course you did. All I was saying is that claiming there to be no recessary physical changes cannot be proved by a document that only talks about software in general. It wouldn't mention it anyway.

Like I have said: There was no reason at all for them to build their drives with this in mind when there is no medium available (for YEARS, 2016) that makes use of this except for BDXL, which are only compatible with drives that are explicitly labelled as BDXL-compatible. They want to sell new products and not stealth-release compatible drives years before the format is finalized.

No, the sentence doesn't say that at all. It says that it can't be played back.

Alas we have yet to see any evidence that any actual non-BDXL drives were designed with this in mind (except for new UHD players of course). And you still haven't provided good evidence that physical changes haven't been necessary.

Regarding the wikipedia quotation: Please check the source for that claim (btw. it is the same problem as with the kotaku article)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3977

The source says 'might be compatible.' Now it might be the case that the source linked on wikipedia was only used for the second part of the statement and they took the claim that it was compatible from somewhere else (which would be even worse, no citation at all). I have reason to believe though that Sony and Panasonic never said that it will definitely be compatible. Here is another source, but it is in German:

It says that Nikkei (the original source of this whole affair) didn't say whether currently available players could be upgraded (by firmware) to support this.
In the sentence before, they said that current laser optics would support this (that is what Sony and Panasonic have originally said), but there is more to a drive than that and so they were sensible enough not to make any claims of their own.

But we are talking about news articles from six years ago! The wikipedia article really is an amazing read -of disappointments that is, because nothing ever come out of these supposedly dead-sure innovations, that would have us see 200GB discs, compatible with drives of that time. There is one way to sum this all up:

itsfuckingnothing.gif

Now you're just repeating what I have already adressed.
And I'll repeat again, Sony and Panasonic developed the shorter mark length method to create a 33 GB/layer disk before 2010 and were going to present it to the BDA for implementation. If it can be implemented via firmware update or required a change to BDA specs that had to be implemented with a new chipset, it was early enough that all newer drives should include it as all BDXL drives already do because it was included in the 2010 BD-R whitepaper.

The purpose of the 2010 patent gives us a clue. They couldn't implement shipping a 33 GB/layer disk when there could be BD-ROM drives that wouldn't read the disk reliably because a firmware update wasn't done or needing a more powerful DSP for iMLSE. So they don't do so except for new classes of drives like BDXL which were introduced after the BD-R paper was published in 2010.

They now have a newer class drive spec called BD-ROM4 for UHD which can be a newer firmware updated BD-ROM3 drive that will read a 33GB/layer disk when it's in UHD mode and will refuse to do so when in HD mode. If you are a drive manufacturer, do you want to have two lines of drives or one that does both if it costs nearly nothing extra to do so? If you are the BDA, you want it as easy as possible to support UHD.

We are discussing 33GB/layer version 2 disks because this appears to be THE major change between HD and UHD disks that the drive will have to support. The other changes appear to be firmware differences between the BD-ROM3 and BD-ROM4 specs in how the drive communicates with the Player. HD and UHD are different modes in the drive and Player. This is why a BDXL drive can read a 33 GB/layer UHD disk but it can't work with a UHD player without a firmware update.

PlayStation Type C
Yes the PS4 "C" chassis is the 2015 revision that has an identical APU but forged at Global Foundries using their advanced 28nm process that is denser which results in more chips per wafers which use less power with denser memory chips and half their number no longer in the clam shell configuration.

For this thread, the Southbridge chip was completely changed including moving some of the functions in support chips into Southbridge for a simpler cheaper MB.

Southbridge contains the ARM trustzone TEE and HDCP 2.2 so if HDCP 2.2 didn't make it into the Launch PS4 it would be in this 2015 revision as would a UHD Drive as the "C" revision shipped within 2 months of the UHD players. Please understand that the letters I cite confirm the launch PS4 is UHD Capable but leave room for doubt about the drive which I also affirm can support UHD blu-ray with a firmware update.

Arguments about timing not allowing HDCP2.2 and a UHD drive for the 2013 launch PS4 do not apply to the 2015 version and Sony has not announced UHD blu-ray for that either. You must assume Sony is not going to support UHD Blu-ray or for some reason they are not ready to announce support for it.

Yes, and UHD is used in the PS4 photo app. Doesn`t mean it`ll do UHD Blu-ray, though.
The PS3 can output 4K also and it is labeled as a HD capable console where the PS4 is labeled as a UHD Capable console. That precludes the PS3 playing UHD or UHD Blu-ray but does not preclude the PS4 from playing UHD or UHD blu-ray. Others have argued and rightly that the PS4 displaying a photo in 4K does not make it UHD capable and the PS3 doing so supports that.

Nope! There's also your misunderstanding of what UHD is. Look at Netflix's Ultra HD section and note the microscopic percentage of content with HDR, for instance. Oodles of UHD displays (not UHD Premium, though) do not support HDR.
HDR is part of the UHD standard and will be part of every UHD media including media streamed through the browser, UHD Blu-ray, ATSC 3 or Netflix.

I am also absolutely putting the EU letters into question as a resource of any real consequence, and virtually every dot you're connecting hinges on that.

This is where I think you are stretching. The two letters are from different sources, both in contact with the Game Console manufacturers and the EU. They confirm what I have speculated based on other papers, the breadth of which form a picture of what is coming that is compelling in it'self.

"yadda yadda yadda" is basically another way of saying "etc." It means I didn't feel like typing out a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be there. Pretend I wrote "Vidipath HTML5 <video> PlayReady ooVoo 4K Korean Olympics broadcasts ATSC 3.0" instead.
This is part of the picture that is compelling.

My "view" is that there's a world of difference between fact and speculation. If you're guessing, even if it's an informed guess, don't present it as absolute fact, and for crying out loud, don't give specific date ranges that something will happen if it's just speculation. You're spreading misinformation! Yes, I am very rigid about that. For someone who's so obsessed with documentation and white papers, I'm sincerely surprised that you're not.

I've said all along that I'm open to the possibility that a firmware update could exist, although that's seemed less and less likely to happen as the days went on. (Why would I not want it to be true? I'm a home theater nut and own both of the consoles in question.) If I were putting bets on things a couple of years ago, I'd have said that UHD BD support was a lot more likely than Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, and look how that shook out. It's not the concept of UHD BD support that I've been questioning, exactly, so much as your methods for arriving at that conclusion (or, as I see it, you arrived at a conclusion and are grasping at straws to support it).
I respect this attitude, you are open to the possibility compared to the "it isn't happening" and you are insane to think so or to continue to believe against "proof offered" when none has been offered. Facts are not proven by vote or by consensus.

Arguments about timing not allowing HDCP2.2 and a UHD drive for the 2013 launch PS4 do not apply to the 2015 version and Sony has not announced UHD blu-ray for that either. You must assume Sony is not going to support UHD Blu-ray or for some reason they are not ready to announce support for it.
Adding a feature like this to a revision of a console that very few people know if they own or not makes no sense. It'd be different if any new features for a revision were more "self-contained" -- making an existing feature a bit more efficient, running/downloading apps that can't run on other versions iOS-style, even physical changes like the 360 adding HDMI after launch, etc. -- but when you're trying to compel people to go out and buy stacks of movies, it seems obvious (to me, anyway) that that's something else entirely. If the conversation were even about UHD downloads, I could see that being in a specific revision since you could screen out incompatible hardware in the PS Store, but we're talking about going to a brick-and-mortar store and buying discs here. Sony would never want a situation where someone wants to buy a disc but doesn't know if it'll play in their console or not.

Seriously, even on an enthusiast forum like this, if you asked people cold what version of the PS4 they had, approaching zero people would know. How do you even market that? Do you have to broadcast a message on it saying "okay, your PS4 can play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, but not millions upon millions of other ones that look exactly like it"? Did your PS4 Wonka Bar contain a UHD golden ticket? It's easier to roll that sort of thing out with a better defined revision, like going from fat to slim. Assuming if it's technically possible, I would argue that adding Ultra HD Blu-ray playback to a not-obvious revision is a bad idea. You'd be sowing confusion rather than growing the market base for UHD BD.

Also, let's say that the Neo adds a dedicated HEVC decoder as Ito suggested. Do you think it makes sense for Sony to maintain two separate methods of HEVC decoding (one for the new box, another for the 2015 revision)? Hell, for marketing reasons alone -- look at our sexy new box! It does 4K! -- it makes more sense for Sony to wait.

If xbox one can do 4K/UHD then I shouldn't buy a xbox one S Rigby?
I would not make any decisions based on his speculation. There are no leaks, rumors, remotely recent official statements, etc. to that effect. Phil Spencer has been talking about how new features for the Xbox One S make it possible to support 4K, in contrast to what Jeff has been saying, and the executive VP leading the PlayStation hardware team has also spoken about how the PS4 currently doesn't have the hardware to support UHD BD either.

As c0de said above, there's not much incentive for them to add this feature to the original consoles when they can try to sell you a new box instead. It'd be nice, but there's no indication that any sort of update to the launch consoles is going to happen or is even possible.

HDR is part of the UHD standard
Not in the way you're suggesting. It's part of the Ultra HD Premium standard. You can have Ultra HD without HDR, and you can have HDR without the Ultra HD Premium label. (In fact, Sony's own displays meet the Ultra HD Premium requirements but do not use them.)

This is where I think you are stretching. The two letters are from different sources, both in contact with the Game Console manufacturers and the EU. They confirm what I have speculated based on other papers, the breadth of which form a picture of what is coming that is compelling in it'self.
The two letters say almost nothing of consequence related to this, neither say anything about Ultra HD Blu-ray specifically, and neither specify every version of every XB1/PS4 console. You're taking a console name, a month/year, and the words "UHD Capable" and developing an entire story around that. That vague and potentially meaningless information is not a strong foundation for the weight of the argument you're putting on it. It'd be different if there were other documents substantiating this, but there aren't.

If xbox one can do 4K/UHD then I shouldn't buy a xbox one S Rigby?
If it's just for the UHD Blu-ray then no wait. The Slim is supposed to be slightly more powerful and probably will support more OpenVX with accelerators and HDMI 2 features.

Most of the features in the 15 special blocks in the launch XB1 have not been fully used which is true for the PS4 Southbridge also.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
great job for shitting on the dude because you don't agree with his theories

stay classy

Well I was kidding but his theories are wrong and he's been calling other posters "clueless" for three years and seven pages.

I can't speak for Sony but the Xbox One S will be the first Xbox physically capable of playing UHD optical media.

Adding a feature like this to a revision of a console that very few people know if they own or not makes no sense. It'd be different if any new features for a revision were more "self-contained" -- making an existing feature a bit more efficient, running/downloading apps that can't run on other versions iOS-style, even physical changes like the 360 adding HDMI after launch, etc. -- but when you're trying to compel people to go out and buy stacks of movies, it seems obvious (to me, anyway) that that's something else entirely. If the conversation were even about UHD downloads, I could see that being in a specific revision since you could screen out incompatible hardware in the PS Store, but we're talking about going to a brick-and-mortar store and buying discs here. Sony would never want a situation where someone wants to buy a disc but doesn't know if it'll play in their console or not.

Seriously, even on an enthusiast forum like this, if you asked people cold what version of the PS4 they had, approaching zero people would know. How do you even market that? Do you have to broadcast a message on it saying "okay, your PS4 can play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, but not millions upon millions of other ones that look exactly like it"? Did your PS4 Wonka Bar contain a UHD golden ticket? It's easier to roll that sort of thing out with a better defined revision, like going from fat to slim. Assuming if it's technically possible, I would argue that adding Ultra HD Blu-ray playback to a not-obvious revision is a bad idea. You'd be sowing confusion rather than growing the market base for UHD BD.
Which is an argument that I have made that the Launch consoles would support UHD blu-ray and you disagreed. Which is it?

Also, let's say that the Neo adds a dedicated HEVC decoder as Ito suggested. Do you think it makes sense for Sony to maintain two separate methods of HEVC decoding (one for the new box, another for the 2015 revision)? Hell, for marketing reasons alone -- look at our sexy new box! It does 4K! -- it makes more sense for Sony to wait.
The Xtensa accelerators are used for vision processing and codecs which would not be the case with a hardware codec. AMD already uses the Xtensa processors for HEVC and gesture middleware and will use them for OpenVX acceleration. Additionally the accelerators can be used for other codecs and provide insurance against strong arm tactics by the HEVC patent holders.

I would not make any decisions based on his speculation. There are no leaks, rumors, remotely recent official statements, etc. to that effect. Phil Spencer has been talking about how new features for the Xbox One S make it possible to support 4K, in contrast to what Jeff has been saying, and the executive VP leading the PlayStation hardware team has also spoken about how the PS4 currently doesn't have the hardware to support UHD BD either.
I won't make any decisions yet either. The MS VP stated the XB1 has the hardware to support UHD BLu-ray and the Playstation VP said there is no HEVC codec in the PS4 while Microsoft has already released a HEVC profile 10 codec via firmware update for the XB1. If you take everything at face value the XB1 is going to support UHD blu-ray and the PS4 isn't. Let the console wars begin if this is true and I'll lose money on the Sony stock I own.

As c0de said above, there's not much incentive for them to add this feature to the original consoles when they can try to sell you a new box instead. It'd be nice, but there's no indication that any sort of update to the launch consoles is going to happen or is even possible.
See above

Not in the way you're suggesting. It's part of the Ultra HD Premium standard. You can have Ultra HD without HDR, and you can have HDR without the Ultra HD Premium label. (In fact, Sony's own displays meet the Ultra HD Premium requirements but do not use them.)
HDR is part of the UHD standard and the HDMI port has provisions for the negotiation to determine if and what HDR scheme is supported. ATSC 3.0 supports HDR which means the browser supports HDR. The HDMI2 negotiation is passed through to the TEE where every HDR scheme should be able to be supported. It's the display that has the limitations.

The two letters say almost nothing of consequence related to this, neither say anything about Ultra HD Blu-ray specifically, and neither specify every version of every XB1/PS4 console. You're taking a console name, a month/year, and the words "UHD Capable" and developing an entire story around that. That vague and potentially meaningless information is not a strong foundation for the weight of the argument you're putting on it. It'd be different if there were other documents substantiating this, but there aren't.
One letter specifically mentions the Launch Consoles and the other makes no distinction and just lists the PS4 and XB1 as UHD capable. If the Launch consoles support UHD capable then according to the logic in a statement you made above, later models should also or it will be confusing to the public. Neither say anything about UHD Blu-ray, that is an assumption on my part for the Launch PS4 and XB1 in part supported by the MS VP stating it can support UHD BLu-ray. The 2015 PS4 version and the XB1 Slim have no possible reason to not support UHD BLu-ray as provably drives were/are available in 2015.

c0de

Well I was kidding but his theories are wrong and he's been calling other posters "clueless" for three years and seven pages.

I can't speak for Sony but the Xbox One S will be the first Xbox physically capable of playing UHD optical media.

And we are done.

c0de said:
But they want you to buy the S version which is why they won't do a firmware update for the old boxes.

And we are done here.
A little history to get you to understand where I'm coming from.

Microsoft was bench testing multiple XB1s before the 2013 launch with a HEVC multi-view codec running on the Xtensa accelerators because they feared a RROD like episode. UHD Blu-ray doe not use the HEVC multi-view extension but multi-view is the most intensive and likely to be the most used version of the HEVC codec because it will be used for both Cable and Antenna 4K TV with multiple streams of 1080P or lower resolution in the HEVC stream thus the multi-view.

ATSC 3 sets the standard for HTML5 <video> MSE EME and for parts of Vidipath and the UHD Blu-ray digital bridge. For Microsoft's Playready ND and Vidipath to work across multiple platforms they must conform to the same standards. So everything waits for the HTML5 <video> EME MSE standard which includes trick modes and commercial insertion.

UHD Blu-ray is the precursor providing 4K media for 4K TVs like HD Blu-ray did for the 1080P TV. This time there will be a DRM standard across platforms provided by the browser which every platform must support because 4K media is delivered to a browser web page. ATSC 3 will support DRM because the HTML5 <video> MSE EME supports DRM. The common DRM chosen for Vidipath is Playready and for the UHD blu-ray digital bridge, the same Playready ND. The PS4 intellectual notice has Playready and WMDRM in the PS4 and the PS3 is getting a Playready embedded port.

There is a chicken and egg component for UHD BLu-ray which the digital bridge and Vidipath for Cable TV DVRs mandated by the FCC as well as Vidipath antenna tuners will help overcome and vice versa.

This is the big picture for the Xbox which I believe also applies to Sony. This plus the Microsoft VP stating the XB1 hardwre can support UHD blu-ray made me believe the drive is firmware update-able. I did the research as much as can be done. The two letters just confirm UHD Capable.

The FCC DSTAC is likely going to mandate an open Cable TV replacement for the Cable card allowing Manufacturers to write APPs that allow watching TV on your XB1 and PS4 using HTML5 <video> EME MSE. This is about 1.5 years off but Comcast is writing their own apps that do the same now with co-operation from the manufacturer.

Which is an argument that I have made that the Launch consoles would support UHD blu-ray and you disagreed. Which is it?
A PS4K/Neo/slim is hardly the same thing as an unlabeled, visually imperceptible revision. The Xbox One S is obvious proof. Are you saying that the S won't support UHD BD? How is any of this confusing to you?

You're wrong about HDR. Quote from the "Ultra HD Standard" that says otherwise. UHD Premium is not the same thing as Ultra HD.

On my phone and can't respond about the rest right now.

Top Bottom