• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War down 18% at retail

What caused Shadow of War to have one of the best UK retail holds this year?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jawmuncher

Is it really that hard to actually think a bit?

Just about every sales and financials report has reported a higher and higher digital sales each year.

It depends on the drop off. When you're looking at 50%-75% drop off. Digital even with growth isn't covering all of that. But yeah in this instance it's almost all but assured that it did. Hell even with retail down 18% there's a chance it actually did more than the last one.

BigEmil

This is all because current gen consoles now has so many games to choose and everyone has bigger backlogs compared to 2014 where there was hardly any good games to choose from

Just like how with Nintendo Switch right now all games there selling very high in its first years, then in 3rd, 4th year game sales will drop for many

Mix of backlog + bigger library

That drop could easily be compensated by the increase in digital sales. That plus microtransactions will make it healthtier.
Finally some good news.

It is a losing proposition anyhow. The market has shown us, over and over again, that they are fine with such practices.

I am fine with the practice of a game that doesn’t force me into lootboxes. That’s perfectly fine and why I had zero issue buying this one. The majority who play it seem to agree that the lootboxes aren’t invasive nor required.

NewDust

Not applicable as the game was nextgen only. The bigger question is why are we not seeing a bump at retail as the generation has progressed? There are unquestionably more PS4 and X1 owners today vs 3 years ago. Is digital outpacing userbase growth?

Shadow of Mordor wasn't nextgen only, only during release. PS3 is actually one of the most fucked up cross gen releases.

Incoming... But but digital. Digital Stores was already there when Shadow of Mordor was released.. also 360 and PS3.

This is probably a case where digital might actually make up the difference.

This isn't a huge discrepancy like Destiny. It's probably not likely that the difference there is going to be made up.

Digital adoption is increasing in a lot of cases. Physical adoption is decreasing in a lot of cases. It's probably reasonable to think that the difference between the physical copies could be made up in the form of digital adoption.

There is also the possibility of people waiting to get it until after they receive the new Xbox.

I doubt it contributes to more than 1-2%, but that is definitely me. My launch haul will include Ass Creed and Forza, then when I'm done with the first I'll likely pick up Mordor almost immediately. Everything points to this game having the chance to make more profits than the previous title, albeit we don't know how much they spent on development - plus marketing seems bigger than ever too, so overall it might still be less profitable. Curious to see official numbers.

LAA

As is sadly known, most don't care about loot boxes and etc. While digital sales will help get a full picture, I'd be shocked if they were higher than physical.
Seems insanely priced compared to physical, I can't imagine anyone going digital unless they're that committed to being digital only or impatient. Certainly no value benefit for dlgoijg digital.

Jumeira

Banned
Great game, good results. Loot boxes doesn't offset the brilliance of the game, i mean i havent been hindered by the boxes either. I lament the concept of loot, but im not blind as to ignore the hard work put into a game. I hope loot numbers are low but the game does deserve good sales.

Kill3r7

This is about the best result WB could have hoped for (essentially flat sales from the first).

If I am not mistaken 2K18 was actually up YOY. So there is precedent out there for them to hope for increased sales even in the face of controversy.

I mean, Uncharted dropped but that was a given considering we went from a mainline release to an expansion of sorts. I don't think it should be lumped in with the rest as they are direct sequels.

Either way, yes, we need more digital info as they continually increase in relevance. SoW did fairly well, all things considered.

Matt

If I am not mistaken 2K18 was actually up YOY. So there is precedent out there for them to hope for increased sales even in the face of controversy.
I’m talking about the general weakness the market has shown recently. Plus SoM was an unexpected hit in a slow time, so staying ~flat isn’t so bad.

UC should not be on that list .
Any way could be up or flat thanks to DD .
Which is not bad for WB since they could make money on other stuff also .

Vashetti

Banned
Honestly this is a great result for WB considering no PS3/360 versions and the whole Shelob and lootbox controversies.

Yeah this is likely flat or slightly up factoring in digital. Combine that with Loot Boxes and this is likely driving higher revenue that the first game did.

Overall a solid performance for sure

m_dorian

I am disappointed it did not fail but people have spoken with their wallets.
May they be always fat to buy those boxes.

br3wnor

Physical continues it’s downward slide into irrelevance. Figures I saw talking about Destiny 2 were saying digital could account for 25% more sales than they did in the past few years. Wish we could just have a clear and accurate sales accounting for all games combining physical w/ digital.

lotr is a much stronger IP than any of those titles franchises

name alone helps a ton.

also, the general audience doesnt give a shit about how bad lootboxes sexy shelob or orc raps may represent/affect the game

lotr is a much stronger IP than any of those titles franchises

name alone helps a ton.

also, the general audience doesnt give a shit about how bad lootboxes sexy shelob or orc raps may represent/affect the game

Especially if the game is good, has a totally unique system (Nemesis) that no other game has and the lootboxes are practically irrelevant if you listen to those who actually played the game. This game has no reason to fail, as much as some people here would like it to.

Loxley

It really feels like the retail market in general is down.

I am disappointed it did not fail but people have spoken with their wallets.
May they be always fat to buy those boxes.

People's jobs and livelihoods at Monolith likely depend on this game doing well. I get we're all pissed at WB for shoe-horning in lootboxes, but c'mon, wishing for a game to fail is as petty as it gets.

Anung

Un Rama
I didn't pick it up because of MT's and it'll be 7.99 in a year or so and even if I was going to this month is stacked so I've prioritised the games I'm super hyped for (TEW2 and Wolfie 2)

Vashetti

Banned
I've absolutely no basis for this, but we're four years into the current gen. Is it possible fatigue is setting in and the peak has passed?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I didn't pick it up because of MT's and it'll be 7.99 in a year or so and even if I was going to this month is stacked so I've prioritised the games I'm super hyped for (TEW2 and Wolfie 2)

I really do think the price of video games is the biggest reason for decline of sales for $60 games this year.

Not because its too expensive but because they simply become too cheap too quickly. They've become so devalued it really makes no sense to spend $60 on a game day 1 unless its a game you -have- to get day 1 in order to get the most out of it, which is the case for heavy multiplayer games especially annualized ones

If someone never played the 1st game they could have bought Mordor GOTY for under $10 on every platform some point this year instead of spending $60 for this game. I'm actually surprised this game did as well it did given all the negative talk about its business model shortly before release as well

oti

Banned
18% down from a game released in 2014 is actually pretty bad. There were way less PS4's and XBONE users back then.
Look at the drop percentages of other games. For Shadow of War specifically a drop of "just" 18% is pretty darn good, considering some other drops we've seen. Add-in the increasing digital ratio of sales and the new revenue stream thanks to loot boxes. Shadow of War is doing fine. The bigger picture here is that the UK retail market quite obviously is on the decline.

Welfare

This is a really good result for WB. Including digital, Shadow of War is either flat or slightly up from Mordor.

Acorn

Expected it to be down more tbh. More, better and bigger competition compared to the originals release.

m_dorian

It really feels like the retail market in general is down.

People's jobs and livelihoods at Monolith likely depend on this game doing well. I get we're all pissed at WB for shoe-horning in lootboxes, but c'mon, wishing for a game to fail is as petty as it gets.

I am sure they are talented enough to secure their future. This 'petty' person has nothing against those people, it is not personal but i kind of wanted the people making those loot box decisions to have a very difficult week.
Dont worry though, there are many customers that made them happy.

It's a great game. Been having a blast with it so far.

Glad to see it's probably about even with, or higher than, the first game if you factor in digital sales, given how a lot of other sequels have had far larger drops.

lefty1117

Gold Member
The word of mouth on this game post release has been really positive, from media and just in conversations like on here. I'm sure that has something to do with the softer drop; we see in the movie industry too that word of mouth can have a big impact on size of the subsequent drop, good or bad.

Matt

18% down from a game released in 2014 is actually pretty bad. There were way less PS4's and XBONE users back then.

That's not quite how it works. People who buy the systems earlier are more likely to buy games at their launch. Larger install bases should help total title sales to a larger extent than they help initial sales.

Again, if you compare SoW to how other high-profile games are doing right now, keeping flat is pretty good accomplishment.

Top Bottom