• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts November 2023: PS5 Accounted for practically half of the games consoles sold during November

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox Series X was discounted to £430 in the UK BF 2022. This year it was discounted to £360. Last year they had Pentiment, this year they had Starfield and Forza. When they have a better games lineup and such a drastic reduction in price and see basically no YoY growth I can't say they did well.

They knocked £70 off compared to last year and barely sold more.

Sony had a discounted ps5 for 399 with spiderman 2 didn't they?

Vs last year when they had no stock.

Context is key.

AALLx

??? First, it's clear to me that you didn't understand what I'm saying or what I mean. I invite you to review the beginning of the "discussion"... Second, XS being +4% compared to BF 2022 where it sold almost twice as much as PS5 due to the lack of stock of the latter (it was 40% XS, 40% Switch, 20% PS5). I mean, there's a context to PS5 up % as well.

PS: XSX is up 247% from the previous month on BF 2 week discounts alone. It's not that the sales discount haven't done anything simplily that, at the same price, is not enougth vs PS5.
Err, no. Xbox had a 40% YoY decline last October that's why it had 247% MoM increase this November:

MoM only looks high because previous month was a disaster.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
??? First, it's clear to me that you didn't understand what I'm saying or what I mean. I invite you to review the beginning of the "discussion"... Second, XS being +4% compared to BF 2022 where it sold almost twice as much as PS5 due to the lack of stock of the latter (it was 40% XS, 40% Switch, 20% PS5). I mean, there's a context to PS5 up % as well.

PS: XSX is up 247% from the previous month on BF 2 week discounts alone. It's not that the sales discount haven't done anything simplily that, at the same price, is not enougth vs PS5.

Exactly.

Someone post November 2022 ps5 unit sales vs xbox 2022.

Then post this year where ps5 had stock. And a ps5 at 399 with spiderman 2. There were even better deals than that. I'm sure I saw it at 369 at some places.

All in all everyone had a great November.

Last edited:

H-I-M

Xbox Series X was discounted to £430 in the UK BF 2022. This year it was discounted to £360. Last year they had Pentiment, this year they had Starfield and Forza. When they have a better games lineup and such a drastic reduction in price and see basically no YoY growth I can't say they did well.

They knocked £70 off compared to last year and barely sold more.

So Microsoft is pretty much giving Xbox away for free (+ gamepass in corn flakes) and all they could achieve was a +4% growth?
That's deeply concerning.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So Microsoft is pretty much giving Xbox away for free (+ gamepass in corn flakes) and all they could achieve was a +4% growth?
That's deeply concerning.

You're deeply concerned?

Scarred For Life What GIF by Sunnyside

Mowcno

Sony had a discounted ps5 for 399 with spiderman 2 didn't they?

Vs last year when they had no stock.

Context is key.
So you're saying that Xbox sales this year were completely cannibalised by their competition and that's why despite massive discounts and a better games line-up compared to 2022 they were only up 4%. I mean yeah I don't take issue with that stance. But I also don't see how that can translate to Xbox did well or rather "they all did well."

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Err, no. Xbox is down 33% last October that's why it had 247% MoM increase this November:
ergo..... Thank you for making it clearer that the BF discounts have had an effect on sales.

PS. In October XSeries sold more expensive than PS5 and the latter with great discounts... It's called "context"

Darsxx82

Exactly.

Someone post November 2022 ps5 unit sales vs xbox 2022.

Then post this year where ps5 had stock. And a ps5 at 399 with spiderman 2. There were even better deals than that. I'm sure I saw it at 369 at some places.

All in all everyone had a great November.
Not only these, also weeks with stock liquidation price for old PS5 version meanly XSX y XSS more expensive than in 2022. Context is impotant to evaluate these %.

That said, I wouldn't say that all of them did well, so the PS5 did fantastic and the others did it right.
I still have no idea why you guys think Xbox is having a great November 2023... but

🤷‍♂️
You've been confused then. I didn't say that. I recommend you to check again what comrade Elio and I were discussing. It's something else: The context.

Last edited:
November estimates:
PS5: ~237,000
XBS: ~135,000
NSW: ~101,000

Compared to October:
PS5: ~95,000
XBS: ~41,000
NSW: ~37,000

November Weeks 1 - 3:
PS5: ~154,000
XBS: ~78,000
NSW: ~47,000

Black Friday Week estimates:
PS5: ~83,000 (35% of November)
XBS: ~57,000 (42% of November)
NSW: ~54,000 (53% of November)

November estimates:

Compared to October:

November Weeks 1 - 3:

I don't know who to consider Black Friday's winner anymore

Darsxx82

Xbox Series X's have been selling for £342-360 during Black Friday and close to Christmas. And still getting outsold 2:1.. Oof.
Again, it's not that it hasn't had to compete with PS5 with similar BF discounts, the release of Spider-Man 2, PS5 slim launch and NOv first weeks of discounts for old PS5 version....

Complete context is important dont you Know?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So you're saying that Xbox sales this year were completely cannibalised by their competition and that's why despite massive discounts and a better games line-up compared to 2022 they were only up 4%. I mean yeah I don't take issue with that stance. But I also don't see how that can translate to Xbox did well or rather "they all did well."
Yup. I think its completely safe to say that. Starfield didn't land where people wanted it to and forza is good for a niche market but it was far from perfect. Put this with a playstation 5 that was actually in stock this black Friday. The first time since its launch, as per the article. Coupled with spiderman 2 and also heavily discounted to over £140 off msrp and you have fierce competition from the market leader.
4% YOY growth with huge discounts, no stock shortages and multiple big exclusive releases this year is terrible.
4% up vs a year where they had no competition from Sony and had black Friday sales period all to themselves.

Look at the numbers, not the percentages.

Can anyone share the actual numbers for 2022 vs 2023?

hinch7

Again, it's not that it hasn't had to compete with PS5 with similar BF discounts, the release of Spider-Man 2, PS5 slim launch and NOv first weeks of discounts for old PS5 version....

Not really the same thing. Bundles still work out at £400 for SM2 and EA Sports FC. Cheapest standalone PS5 console I think I saw was from Curry's for £390 and no game. New PS5 consoles are much more expensive than outgoing ones.

For Xbox, Starfield was supposed to be their flagship and forever game and their TES in Space. Their console discounted nearly £100 off usual selling price and at the same time PS5's selling for near full MSRP or at most £60 off. And only gone up 4% YOY over last with an insane price cut and a big title on there.. alongside other stuff on Game Pass. How is that not bad. For context.

Last edited:

jm89

4% up vs a year where they had no competition from Sony and had black Friday sales period all to themselves.
Sure they had more competition from sony this year, that still doesn't excuse how terrible the 4% growth is considering all the moves xbox made.

And looking at the estimates above, getting close to outsold 2:1 in a market where they've been much closer is a terrible result.

Last edited:

AALLx

You've been confused then. I didn't say that. I recommend you to check again what comrade Elio and I were discussing. It's something else: The context.
If you're just trying to justify why Xbox is doing terrible, then... okay? It's still doing terrible no matter how you justify it.

Can anyone share the actual numbers for 2022 vs 2023?
All I could find was this comment on last year's thread. But I'm not sure if it's accurate:

Nov 2022:
NSW: ~140,000
Xbox: ~125,000
PS5: ~111,000

Nov 2023:

tr1p1ex

Walmart in the US was blowing out the Xbox SEries X Diablo IV bundle and non-bundle for $350. I couldn't help but buy one even though I didn't want one and remains to be seen if I do more than check it out.

Mr Moose

Slim didn't launch until the 29th.

Ar¢tos

I'm confused. If a 231% increase over a month turns out to be just 4% yoy, how is that a good thing?
Sounds terrible to me.
Why are people praising that amount of increase?
I'm I interpreting wrong and it means something else or is it fanboy spinning?

I'm confused. If a 231% increase over a month turns out to be just 4% yoy, how is that a good thing?
Sounds terrible to me.
Comparing month over month is foolish because November is far bigger than October, year over year is a fair comparison.

Woopah

Sounds terrible to me.
If you are selling more in November 2023 than November 2022, then that's a good thing.

hinch7

Are you in the UK?

You are aware the ps5 has been 399 and as low as 369 with spider man 2 for months? And all over November?

Like since August? It's been massively cheaper than the series X.

Yep and they weren't any special offers on Black Friday for Standalone PS5's in November. They actually went up from September and October. As like you said were already discounting them before the launch of the newer SKU's. Which is an even worse look for Xbox in the UK.

For PS5's, most of the big deals were bundles for around £399 and one game.. BF deals for PS5's were way less generous. For a console in its third year you'd expect to see a big jump in sales, especially with more games on the platform and a huge discount.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Xbox Series X was on sale for £430 BF 2022. £360 this year, £70 cheaper but only sold 4% more. Released starfield and Forza in 2023 and nothing in 2022. Only sold 4% more.

I don't see how MS can possibly get this thing selling if £70 cheaper than last year barely moves the needle.
US is going to be interesting as XSX has been going for $350 on and off in Walmart and Amazon.

StereoVsn

It's curious, Why you talk as if PS5 had not had promotions that were very much on par in price with XSX??..... In fact, PS5 has had better promotions than XSX all year also Nobember with Spiderman !!

Of course, it is not that XSX is the only one that has been sold with a price reduction compared to the BF of 2022.
PS5 OG was on quite a large discount all over Continental Europe. Talking like €420-430 for the OG Disk version. And I think €450 for SpiderMan 2 new disk version.

Not sure about UK though.

Darsxx82

Slim didn't launch until the 29th.
"Officially. The number of pre-orders for the release date..

That said, it's just another reference to add context. The discounts for the old version for the whole month, Spider-Man 2, and discounts for the BF similar to those of XS are surely more relevant for these "context"
Sounds terrible to me.
Well, maybe XS sold very well in NOV 2022 and PS5 very badly due to the lack of Stock (40% XS vs 40% Switch vs 20% PS5) and you can contextualize it with the fact that during November XS only had the BF discounts as a relevant situation while PS5 had a discount on the old version throughout the month, Spiderman 2, similar discount as XSX during the BF and even the launch of the PS5 slim version...

I don't think people are praising that increase per se, rather they are putting the situation of NOv 2022 vs Nov 2023 into context (my case at least).That is, it's not simply the situation where XS sells cheaper than last year and only grew by 4%, it's one where it competes (I repeat) with PS5 unleashed in sales a cross 2023, full of units in stock, similar price discount for 2 weeks of BF (the rest weeks of NOV XsX was more expensive, also than NOV 2022), Spiderman bundle 399 and discounts of the old PS5 version.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
November estimates:

Compared to October:

November Weeks 1 - 3:

Huh, more context.

StereoVsn

Is Black Friday a big sale period in Europe as well? Always thought they while there were BF sales in Europe it wasn’t as big an event as in US.

My impression was that the run up to Christmas in December was larger.

That PS5 year over year increase is kinda nuts there's no way they can improve that in 2024
I mean ps5 is on its way to sell 25M in a single year. Something no other PS console ever did. It will be hard but possible, depending on hardware promos, game lineup, PS5 Pro release, etc.
That said PS5 is going to surpass 100M somewhere in 2025 or early 2026 when their 1st party studios will be firing in all cylinders and still 2 or 3years to go before the gen is over.

Things are about to get more and more interesting. This gen is hardly peaking for them.

Looks like Super Mario Bros Wonder can't hold of the decline for Switch. Switch is tracking for a 20% decline in Europe, if it has a global decline of 20% for the quarter then it will sell around 6.6 million. This would be it's worst Q3 ever but it would still be a huge gain on the NDS's equivalent Q3 of just 2.06 million. I still think Switch will outsell the NDS but it will be tight.

mAWC2FD.png

kJjOKQq.png

All I could find was this comment on last year's thread. But I'm not sure if it's accurate:

Nov 2022:
NSW: ~140,000
Xbox: ~125,000
PS5: ~111,000

Nov 2023:
A 19% yoy decline for Switch would put it at 113k.

Top Bottom