• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: "Police probe into 'transphobic' tweets unlawful"

BBC said:
The police response to an ex-officer's allegedly transphobic tweets was unlawful, the High Court has ruled.

Harry Miller, from Lincolnshire, was contacted by Humberside Police in January last year after a complaint about his tweets.

He was told he had not committed a crime, but it would be recorded as a non-crime "hate incident".

The court found the force's actions were a "disproportionate interference" on his right to freedom of expression.
BBC said:
Officers visited Mr Miller's workplace and in a statement said they had "received reports of a number of transphobic comments being posted on social media".

Mr Miller's barrister, Ian Wise QC, argued the force's response had sought to "dissuade him from expressing himself on such issues in the future".

Mr Justice Knowles said Mr Miller "strongly denies being prejudiced against transgender people" and had regarded himself as a participant in a public debate.

The judge said: "The claimants' tweets were lawful and there was not the slightest risk that he would commit a criminal offence by continuing to tweet.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Don't let this distract from the fact that wrongthink is a thing in the UK and if you say the wrong thing on social media you can expect a knock at the door.

Glad I live in a free country.

Where do you live, the US? Where one wrong tweet will merely get you doxed, banned from services, fired, and unable to support yourself and your family? That is freedom?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Where do you live, the US? Where one wrong tweet will merely get you doxed, banned from services, fired, and unable to support yourself and your family? That is freedom?

While a decent point, it’s the same overseas. At least the US has government-protected free speech, even if everything else has gone to shit. With that, and some common sense precautions, like anonymity online, you can protect yourself.

When you have neither, it’s an order of magnitude worse.

Its way more fucked up that the police will actually investigate you for a damn tweet and he wasn’t even an officer any more!!! I hate the mentality that if you don’t believe the same thing as everyone else then you are racist bigot 😔

#Phonepunk#

Banned
does this happen? hasn't happened to anyone i know. lol this nightmare scenario you outlined sounds insane. did you read it in a magazine or something?

i live in the US. our police do not give a shit about what we post on the internet. thank god.

hopefully this madness doesn't cross the Atlantic. scary times we are living in

Last edited:

In the U.S. we have the freedom to say what we want on social media (and in real life) without the police knocking at our door because we have anti-left opinions such as "men are men and women are women." That's the point.

The extent to which social media causes people to lose jobs is a different issue entirely; these people are not being fired for disobeying any laws. But the UK has been heading in the direction of criminalizing "hate speech" and wrongthink.

In the U.S., hate speech is protected under the first amendment of our Constitution.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
On the flipside... (btw the Spectator, while being a right-wing publication, is absolutely fantastic - so much excellent writing, proper grown-up journalism)

I stand with Kate Scottow

Why are the police wasting time arresting Twitter transphobes when they could be tackling knife crime? That was the question asked by Boris Johnson in an article for the Daily Telegraph last February, in which he lambasted officers for arresting a mum for sending some rude tweets. A year on, Boris Johnson is Prime Minister. And now that mum has a criminal record.

Today’s judgement was a hard sight to bear: a 39-year-old mother of two children, one of whom is autistic, listened as the judge at St Albans Magistrates’ Court found her guilty, under the Communications Act (2003), of using a public communications network to ’cause annoyance, inconvenience and anxiety’.

The verdict means Kate Scottow is unlikely to be able to fulfil her ambition of becoming a forensic psychologist, after completing her master’s degree in the subject last year.

Her crime? To send some offensive tweets to a trans woman called Stephanie Hayden. These included describing Hayden as a ‘pig in a wig’ and referring to Hayden as ‘he’ or ‘him’.

Scottow’s tweets were, admittedly, uncivil. But nothing she wrote was worse than what can be seen every day on Twitter and other social media platforms, where thousands of cruel insults and threats are regularly posted without any comeback at all. Hayden herself has referred to people as ‘nutters’ on Twitter. She has also referred to social media site Mumsnet as ‘Nuttersnet’.

Hayden admitted during the trial to being a serial litigator in the civil courts. ‘I am litigious, I put my hands up. I use the law if I feel I have to use the law,’ she told the court. In 2018, Hayden launched civil proceedings against Father Ted writer Graham Linehan for harassment after he allegedly published tweets with her previous male name. The case was later dropped.

Scottow was not so lucky. That the police took the accusations against her seriously is extraordinary. After arresting her, Hertfordshire police allegedly kept her in a cell for seven hours, away from her young children – including the 20-month old son she was still breastfeeding. That the Criminal Prosecution Service (CPS) then saw fit to prosecute is even more remarkable.

Bear in mind that we are repeatedly told the criminal justice system is creaking at the seams. Police, we are told, sometimes lack the resources to pursue criminals. So why is it that Hertfordshire police decided to expend time and money pursuing this woman?

As I sat in court today, I listened to the judge’s ruling with incredulity. She told Scottow that ‘we teach our children to be kind’ (as if this was at all relevant) and took particular exception to Scottow’s use of ‘Mandy McGirlDick’ as a Twitter handle. Is this really a matter for the courts?

The implications for freedom of speech here are chilling. In Britain, we have traditionally been allowed to be rude to people. In fact, that is what freedom of speech means. Freedom of speech does not refer to the freedom to say nice things, or ‘kind’ things: it means the freedom to say things that others find disagreeable. As George Orwell wrote: ‘If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.’

In an odd stroke of timing, Orwell came up again in another case relating to freedom of speech heard today. Harry Miller was contacted by Humberside police for some allegedly ‘transphobic tweets’, which were then recorded as a non-crime ‘hate incident’. Miller challenged the decision in the High Court and the court ruled that the force’s actions were a ‘disproportionate interference’ on Miller’s right to freedom of expression. ‘In this country,’ said Mr Justice Julian Knowles, ‘we have never had a Cheka, a Gestapo or a Stasi. We have never lived in an Orwellian society.’

These are fine words. Perhaps others should take heed.

Son Tofu

Banned
The fact that this shit even reaches the courts is a farce. If you don't like what someone says on Social media, report it, block them and move on. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the UK Police force to Police Twitter/Facebook etc. Absolute waste of time/money & resources.
Nah... That's too rational, We can't have that.

Top Bottom