• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Azure J

There are so many characters that Haggar should never get in on, but people invevitably fuck up.
At least I fuck up a lot. fuck the mayor :(

Pretty much the biggest reason why I respect the ehll out of Smurf's Mayor. I mean who else but the player of a Viper/Dante/Strider team can be faulted when the mayor is getting in so fray and doing work on top of it all. BTW, smurf, any critique you could send my way would be appreciated although I have a few things to note on:

- I didn't zone anywhere near enough. A combination of fearing arrow dudes and their perfect speed projectiles to put me in the Haggar blender and wanting space for things before that.

- Didn't attempt throw breaks enough until I experimented with that Viper/Haggar match start. Shades of unpatched Ultimate right there. :lol

- The entry mixup (is that Violent Axe?) didn't get blocked enough times in the earlier matches, in the later ones, I got to greedy and thought "blocked/avoided mixup? OVERHEAD TIME!" only for O==(°口°)==O LARIATOOOO! to catch me.

- Playing Viper footsies (aka cr.M) vs. 2 horizontal assists and jumping pipe or LARIATOOO is actually rougher that it seems. I'm pretty happy that I have a good number of rapid Seismos down and I did stuff assists a few times with it, but I didn't capitalize heavily.

- STILL having problems doing even the simpler Dante combos online. :(

- Strider does SO much against your team, but I really need to learn to stop Vajra H-ing around. My anti-grab punish tech is worthless against a character that turns himself into a invincible hitbox as I'm coming down on him.

smurfx

get some go again
well i think you need to use your viper ex moves at better times. there were times were i thought you would get me with it but you didn't seem to be trying to punish on reaction to some of the things i was doing. when i played drew grimey he ex's me a bunch of times when trying to do stuff which made me more caution on my approach. you also didn't use viper beam enough. that thing can be so annoying if the viper player keeps it charged all the time and blows up my assists.

So what's Marvel GAF's must play game that they haven't played (ala Enzo never played MGS1)?

I have never played a mainline FF game after FF6.
I think if I listed all of the major series I've never played, I'd get shouted out of the thread.

Edit: I wish we had character art for Devil Trigger Vergil for me to post my team. It just doesn't feel right if it's normal Vergi. He is not yet a man in that state.

Nert

I play this game way too much to not start posting more here.

h5mtw.jpg
0WJA3.jpg
tZ7jB.jpg

So what's Marvel GAF's must play game that they haven't played (ala Enzo never played MGS1)?

I have never played a mainline FF game after FF6.

I have the opposite problem: I've never finished a FF game before FF7. I really should play 6, at least.

Azure J

Team colors?

Q0Mey.jpg
1H2wc.jpg
isU4Q.jpg

zsns5.jpg
AB3Q5.jpg
86WOC.jpg

TPv5j.jpg
BOVqI.jpg
h9Cgr.jpg

Going all in with this one. I just wish if Dante had a red/black alt I liked because that Strider in team slot 3 is godlike and Claire Viper is growing on me.

well i think you need to use your viper ex moves at better times. there were times were i thought you would get me with it but you didn't seem to be trying to punish on reaction to some of the things i was doing. when i played drew grimey he ex's me a bunch of times when trying to do stuff which made me more caution on my approach.

A few of those wildly lol full screen EX Thunder Knuckles were my attempt at trying to catch you with an assist or cancel into EX Seismo but either flubbed because of my net at the moment or just poor decision making/meter management. The hardest part about Viper for me currently is knowing how to use my resources.

I think if I listed all of the major series I've never played, I'd get shouted out of the thread.

Edit: I wish we had character art for Devil Trigger Vergil for me to post my team. It just doesn't feel right if it's normal Vergi. He is not yet a man in that state.

I'll do it if you do it. Hell i'll start:

Never played a Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Halo, Pikmin, Call of Duty... Actually, it might be easier to ask what I have plyed. :lol

Basically, if it wasn't a platformer or action game that came out recently or available on Nintendo/SEGA stuff back in the day, chances are I've missed out on it. As a would be designer and from general love of this hobby though I'm determined to at least try and play some of the bigger things from the past. Had a blast getting through Chrono Trigger back in 2010 on the DS and that was my first real experience with it.

Dahbomb

Edit: I wish we had character art for Devil[Trigger Vergil for me to post my team. It just doesn't feel right if it's normal Vergi. He is not yet a man in that state.
vergil2.jpg

The only DMC game I've played is 2. I should probably remedy that in the future.
I have the opposite problem: I've never finished a FF game before FF7. I really should play 6, at least.

You're missing out by not playing 6, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like it.

Never played a Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Halo, Pikmin, Call of Duty... Actually, it might be easier to ask what I have plyed. :lol
Deal. And I won't count demos as having "played a game", nor if I've only played the game once for an hour.

I've only played a Call of Duty because I was at my wife's family's house, but I played it for about 10 hours so I'll count that.

I have never played any games from the following series, along with highly opinionated reasons why:
Metal Gear (just never felt like it; saw some MGS1, looked boring)
Tekken (I knew it sucked from watching it at the arcade)
Grand Theft Auto (they are in poor taste)
Uncharted (they seem boring)
Mass Effect (played the first one for an hour, determined that it sucked)
Resident Evil (I have RE1 still wrapped)
Metroid Prime (tried MP1 and MP3 and got bored with both within an hour)
Crash Bandicoot (these games suck, 1 hour at most before dropping)
Assassin's Creed (sucks)
Batman (sucks)
Tomb Raider (sucks)
Bioshock (played the demo for the original, and I want to play this sometime - was good)
Ratchet and Clank (tried a PS3 demo, was impressed but not motivated to buy)
Splinter Cell (boring)
God of War (sucks)
Rayman (never heard of it until recently, grouped it with other crappy Mario rip-offs)
Kingdom Hearts (disinterested, but no hate for the series)
Half-life (tried playing HL2 once, thought it sucked)
Tales games (look like generic anime crap)
Devil May Cry (tried it, thought it sucked, I'll give it another shot some day)
Onimusha (looked like generic crap, never touched it)
Shenmue (confused this with Onimusha for the longest time; still don't know the difference)
Max Payne (looks like a game GTA fans would like)
Animal Crossing (these games are huge pieces of crap IMO)
Guild Wars (just never tried it)

I think that covers all the major series I haven't played.

It's out of place, though. I'll have to wait for GB's amazing portrait to represent my team.

Nert

Now that I think about it, I've actually done a pretty good job catching up with a lot of the major franchises and games that I missed out on at the time (there was about a decade in my life where I played almost nothing but Blizzard and Nintendo games). In the last two years, I've played Resident Evil 4, Half Life 2 (and episodes), Chrono Trigger, The Witcher, Okami, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Viewtiful Joe.

I still need to work on some older Final Fantasies, the Metal Gear Solid series in general and some of the Devil May Cry games (I have an unopened copy of DMC3 Special Edition: should I start with that?). After that, I probably have a few dozen unplayed Steam games left to tend to : /

Giant list

The only one I feel strongly about pushing back on is your dismissal of Metroid Prime. That game is a total masterpiece, imo. Your comment on Animal Crossing made me laugh, because I sort of agree with you even though I put about a hundred hours into the Gamecube one (the amount of time I spent unlocking the NES games was stupid).

Azure J

I actually really love the colors on GB's endgame team.

@Nert: DMC3 is a great start into that series.
@Karst: Wow, we're pretty similar in tastes and backlog. :lol

Metroid Prime 2 is the one you need to play if any of them. God I love that labyrinthine game.

smurfx

get some go again
one game i've been wanting to play is majoras mask. that is the one game i missed out on in the n64 era.

Now that I think about it, I've actually done a pretty good job catching up with a lot of the major franchises and games that I missed out on at the time (there was about a decade in my life where I played almost nothing but Blizzard and Nintendo games). In the last two years, I've played Resident Evil 4, Half Life 2 (and episodes), Chrono Trigger, The Witcher, Okami, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Viewtiful Joe.

I still need to work on some older Final Fantasies, the Metal Gear Solid series in general and some of the Devil May Cry games (I have an unopened copy of DMC3 Special Edition: should I start with that?). After that, I probably have a few dozen unplayed Steam games left to tend to : /
I say go with the mood. Just right now I am playing through the following games as I feel like it (and as my wife feels like it, for the multiplayer titles):
Sin and Punishment 2
Metroid: Other M
NSMBWii
Donkey Kong Country Returns

The only one I feel strongly about pushing back on is your dismissal of Metroid Prime. That game is a total masterpiece, imo. Your comment on Animal Crossing made me laugh, because I sort of agree with you even though I put about a hundred hours into the Gamecube one (the amount of time I spent unlocking the old NES games was stupid).
I actually really love the colors on GB's endgame team.

@Nert: DMC3 is a great start into that series.
@Karst: Wow, we're pretty similar in tastes and backlog. :lol

Metroid Prime 2 is the one you need to play if any of them. God I love that labyrinthine game.
I would have picked up the MPTrilogy by now if Nintendo didn't make it so damn rare. I played MP1 on my sister's Gamecube for a bit, and it wasn't bad, but at the time I wanted a sequel to Super Metroid (plus I had to sit in my sister's room to play). MP3 I had a hard time getting into because there's an actual story going on, and I want to know what's up (and not just in the summary fashion). So, the Metroid Prime series is one I'd like to give an honest shot, because I didn't think they were bad games (I enjoyed what I experienced), I just had a hard time getting into them.

Azure J

I agree with Karst wholeheartedly on Metroid Prime. I never saw what everyone on GAF loves about that game.

It's one of those game series where the hype is really deserved (dat world design, use of lore/scanning, Prime 2's complexities in boss and puzzle design) but I personally can understand folks that don't get into it. I don't feel like it's ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY tier, but it's right under that.

Metroid Prime 3 doesn't deserve halfway as much hype/reverence as it gets vs. Prime 2 imo, but that's a matter for another thread. Also, agreed on the Trilogy comment. seeing it run for 70~100 on amazon from time to time just makes me all sad.

Edit: OK, last thought before I go back to Marvel mode, Other M's Samus in mobility and actual gameplay ideas (barring pacing dictated by story) would have been a cooler alt take on 3D Metroid with a lot more time in the oven and Retro's art direction/previous application of the Wii Remote for First Person modes.

I say go with the mood. Just right now I am playing through the following games as I feel like it (and as my wife feels like it, for the multiplayer titles):
Sin and Punishment 2
NSMBWii

I would have picked up the MPTrilogy by now if Nintendo didn't make it so damn rare. I played MP1 on my sister's Gamecube for a bit, and it wasn't bad, but at the time I wanted a sequel to Super Metroid (plus I had to sit in my sister's room to play). MP3 I had a hard time getting into because there's an actual story going on, and I want to know what's up (and not just in the summary fashion). So, the Metroid Prime series is one I'd like to give an honest shot, because I didn't think they were bad games (I enjoyed what I experienced), I just had a hard time getting into them.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are really really good. More importantly, Bioshock is one of my 3 favorite non-fighting games of the generation. You should pick it up, it's only like ten bucks now. On a similar note, games I'm playing now:

Black Mesa(in bursts so I don't get motion sickness)
Resident Evil 6
Alan Wake(cause I got it for free from a gaffer)
Rock Band 3

Randomly with my girlfriend:
Gears of War 3
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

But 90% of the time when I turn on a console, it's for training mode in UMVC3. I stopped playing P4A because I can't get online and there's not as much stuff to play with in training mode. The rest of GAF has probably caught up to me in that game by now :-(

Except Q, cause he mashes too much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My backlog for games is truly epic. No other way to describe it.

Though by completing OoT I feel like I've made massive strides. Right now I want my buddy to hand over his TWEWY so I can finally play that. Can't think of much else I'm longing to play, though.

I think what I'm going to do is play Magneto/Doom/X-23, and swap out Doom with Dante for counter pick matchups, like other missile users or Hawkeye.

Though by completing OoT I feel like I've made massive strides. Right now I want my buddy to hand over his TWEWY so I can finally play that. Can't think of much else I'm longing to play, though.

Oh man, I don't even want to talk about my backlog. I still haven't beat FFXII and I got it on launch day.

Frantic

I'm more than OK with this. (Poor Frantic)
Haha, I don't care much. I like to think my 373 posts shows I'm not too addicted to this game. :p

Speaking of better Dante bro, you really shouldn't have shown me that multiple Million Carats loop. Dante's getting very close to breaking 900K without a j.S/Hammer starter at this rate from the little bit of time I've tried hammering out shot loops after the second instance of Carats.

So damn good.
If you can break 900k off a non-Hammer confirm, that'd be pretty nuts. Especially if you can get it off a cr.L or something.

My team:

ebHjB.jpg
ROcQs.jpg
bS8Jj.jpg

I like it a lot, even if it's not the most optimal team. It clicks with me better than Dante/Vergil/Strider ever did.

I've also got a million other teams, but no way I'm going through that list, haha.

I'm sorry, you're now automatically a terrible person.
A terrible person I am, then! How many of those have to be off the list to be not-terrible? I might open Resident Evil 1 for Halloween.

Edit: OK, last thought before I go back to Marvel mode, Other M's Samus in mobility and actual gameplay ideas (barring pacing dictated by story) would have been a cooler alt take on 3D Metroid with a lot more time in the oven and Retro's art direction/previous application of the Wii Remote for First Person modes.
I'm actually hating the gameplay more than anything right now, but I'll see how it turns out. The whole "permission to use powers" thing was worse than I thought. Not because of the feministic issues, but it just seems so random. "Samus decides not to use her powers until Adam says so." Oh...okay? Then 10 minutes later "Samus, I give you permission to use all the stuff you just decided not to use." Alrighty then. It didn't have any impact on the gameplay aside from being annoying for those 10 minutes.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are really really good. More importantly, Bioshock is one of my 3 favorite non-fighting games of the generation. You should pick it up, it's only like ten bucks now. On a similar note, games I'm playing now:

But 90% of the time when I turn on a console, it's for training mode in UMVC3. I stopped playing P4A because I can't get online and there's not as much stuff to play with in training mode. The rest of GAF has probably caught up to me in that game by now :-(
Want me to give you things to figure out in training mode for me? :-D

One day I think I will play through the original Bioshock.

TWEWY is fantastic.

Solune

It's out of place, though. I'll have to wait for GB's amazing portrait to represent my team.
I'm not really a fan of Kaneko's designs in general.
one game i've been wanting to play is majoras mask. that is the one game i missed out on in the n64 era.
Eh, I hate Majora's Mask. steaming pile of shit zelda game IMO.
Sin and Punishment 2
NSMBWii
Good list, even with the flak Other M gets. That piano song alone is godlike. It definitely needed refinement and would've benefited from classic controller pro controls.
It's one of those game series where the hype is really deserved (dat world design, use of lore/scanning, Prime 2's complexities in boss and puzzle design) but I personally can understand folks that don't get into it. I don't feel like it's ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY tier, but it's right under that.

Metroid Prime 3 doesn't deserve halfway as much hype/reverence as it gets vs. Prime 2 imo, but that's a matter for another thread. Also, agreed on the Trilogy comment. seeing it run for 70~100 on amazon from time to time just makes me all sad.

I hate MP2. It's one of the few Metroid games I struggled to play through. MP3 did a good job of implementing mandatory motion controls IMO. I think that's one of the reasons it gets more praise than it's predecessor.

smurfx

get some go again
i never really got into metroid prime. i almost felt obligated to buy it since its metroid. i used a guide to pass it. didn't have much drive to actually pass the game. i passed it once and never played it again.

I played OoT and hadn't played another Zelda game since Twilight Princess. Now there is a steaming pile of shit. I got Majora's Mask for my Nintendo Platinum Reward this year, so I might play it.

Good list, even with the flak Other M gets. That piano song alone is godlike. It definitely needed refinement and would've benefited from classic controller pro controls.
I have good taste!

I don't like you anymore.

I played OoT and hadn't played another Zelda game since Twilight Princess. Now there is a steaming pile of shit.

And I'm not sure how to respond to that.
I will agree with whoever says it's kinda overrated though.

Personally, I missed most major franchises last gen that didn't make it to the Gamecube due to being a Nintendo fan, and not old enough to get my own money and buy other consoles. The one that I really want to try is DMC, but god damn it my backlog is huge already and I spent most of my gaming time with fighting games.

Azure J

Solune, it's like almost everything we enjoy is at odds with one another. You're still one of my GAF-bros through and through though. :p

I'm actually hating the gameplay more than anything right now, but I'll see how it turns out. The whole "permission to use powers" thing was worse than I thought. Not because of the feministic issues, but it just seems so random. "Samus decides not to use her powers until Adam says so." Oh...okay? Then 10 minutes later "Samus, I give you permission to use all the stuff you just decided not to use." Alrighty then. It didn't have any impact on the gameplay aside from being annoying for those 10 minutes.

Pretty much, the pacing dictated by the story they wanted to tell really killed any fluidity the game might have had and for a Metroid title that's a big deal.

Haha, I don't care much. I like to think my 373 posts shows I'm not too addicted to this game. :p

No lies, this has been the only game I've consistently played since getting my Xbox in March or so. Wild.

If you can break 900k off a non-Hammer confirm, that'd be pretty nuts. Especially if you can get it off a cr.L or something.

The hardest part is knowing that there's a way but being stumped at what to do. Like, if I do shot loops and the standard followup, I'm scaling the combo even though after Million Dollars the number looks like 878 ~ 880K. The range never changes, but seeing it is giving me hope. :p

I need to get more play in though, so I might not be lab monstering for a bit. If it were any earlier, I'd ask you for a game but now I'm going to go pass out like I should have hours ago.

Zissou

Despite playing dante for almost the entirety of ultimate, mine is still laughably bad. I have a serious case of 'only my first character is good' syndrome. If doom puts in work, I can do really well, but when he dies, my remaining dante/strider pairing, which is theoretically good, gets wrecked pretty badly. I guess it's because I have so much less play time with them- especially non-x-factor strider, who I have played maybe four times in my life.

Solune

i never really got into metroid prime. i almost felt obligated to buy it since its metroid. i used a guide to pass it. didn't have much drive to actually pass the game. i passed it once and never played it again.
I was really against the idea of having an FPS Metroid, I actively "boycotted" MP until my brother sat me down and we played through it. The music and atmosphere in MP1 is really breathtaking. It's still the best in the Prime series. Not to mention it still holds up well graphically, aside from RE4 it's aged really well.

Ironically I always thought when I was younger that a TPS Metroid would serve the series better. Then we got Other M and well... we know how that goes.
I played OoT and hadn't played another Zelda game since Twilight Princess. Now there is a steaming pile of shit. I got Majora's Mask for my Nintendo Platinum Reward this year, so I might play it.

I have good taste!
I won't let "nostalgia" tell me it's a good game, I genuinely love most other Zeldas... somewhat.. Wind Waker is too much of a time sink and I hate the way Link looks, the graphical style itself is good though. Way too much sailing filler.

Personally, I missed most major franchises last gen that didn't make it to the Gamecube due to being a Nintendo fan, and not old enough to get my own money and buy other consoles. The one that I really want to try is DMC, but god damn it my backlog is huge already and I spent most of my gaming time with fighting games.
DMC4 PC is pretty cheap if you can afford it. It gets a mixed reception but it's still a solid title.
I don't like you anymore.

And I'm not sure how to respond to that.
I will agree with whoever says it's kinda overrated though.

Solune, it's like almost everything we enjoy is at odds with one another. You're still one of my GAF-bros through and through though. :p

Best portable Zelda: Link's Awakening
Best console Zelda: LTTP

DO I WIN ANYTHING?!

Also I think our taste is similar, just on the other ends of the spectrum I suppose.

A post I just made on GFAQs made me realize that my true team name should be "Team Cheap Spammable Hypers":
"Let me explain my team strategy a bit more. I'm always calling Dark Harmonizer, so at first the battle is all Vergil saying "You're going down!" over and over while I run around the screen haphazardly. Sometimes Vergil dies, so my opponent gets to hear "I summon the power! Run...RUN!" over and over. If Dormammu dies, my opponent gets to hear "SouSouSouSouSouSouSouSouSou". Regardless of whether Morrigan wins, my opponent gets to hear Vergil remind my opponent that this time, he's going down."

Best portable Zelda: Link's Awakening
Best console Zelda: LTTP

DO I WIN ANYTHING?!
I loved Minish Cap.

Of course LTTP is the best console Zelda. 3D Zelda is shallow compared to that came.

Dat shit ain't swag, bro.
It's classic! Plus I took all the time to type it up for you, so I expect you to use it!

In all seriousness, just look at one of a billion Dante combo videos out there. There is no "one" combo Dante does, it's all about what your team and your hands can do.

Solune

I loved Minish Cap.

Of course LTTP is the best console Zelda. 3D Zelda is shallow compared to that came.

I actually don't think I dislike any of the pre-DS portable Zelda games, that I remember anyways. Phantom Hourglass is shit. I love the Oracle games, Minish Cap is good too.

---

Beef, what the hell have you done in that Avatar thread.

Top Bottom