• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How would you cut meter gain in half without nerfing the fireballs? You can't really change the rate of meter gain in the game... it's either through damage change or simple on/off.

You don't know it's impossible to do. For all we know, it's just a modifier they'd have to add as a result of being in Astral Vision state.

Going to have to go with Viscant on this one, the meter gain on it has to go. In exchange she can have better startup/recovery on it. Either that or you can reduce the damage of the fireballs to Vanilla level.

Again, no one wants or cares about this. I'd rather reduce her fireballs to Vanilla status than eliminate her meter gain entirely.

Dahbomb

You don't know it's impossible to do. For all we know, it's just a modifier they'd have to add as a result of being in Astral Vision state.
Maybe, we are making changes to characters based on stuff that the engine is capable of as we know it. So you guys just suggest we reduce the meter gain by 50%?

You already nerfed Missiles, yes? I see no reason to further damage her.

He can already aim it up in the air, just not right away. No animation change necessary.

And Sentinel's command grab is called "Human Catapult" - it should send people far! I think it's fine as-is. It's meant as a corner pressure tool.
I do enjoy that it launches folk across the screen. Less recovery on it then :p

It's also the same reason it's kind of a bummer to think Hulk won't be throwing fools as far.....especially since he can already combo off of his command throw. Hell he can get a gamma crush mid screen.

Dahbomb

You already nerfed Missiles, yes? I see no reason to further damage her.
It wasn't nerfed to a point where MorriDoom isn't still a top tier strat.

Missiles still have full tracking at full screen. Missiles coming down still combo break. Missiles still lock you down so you eat more fireballs/block more fireballs. Missiles still OTG. Missiles still protect spaces that Morrigan is weak at.

They are less potent yes but their utility is still the same and Morrigan is still able to fully exploit the utility of the assist. With stuff like Vergil Spiral Swords nerfed, Zero + Jam Session nerfed, Nova's throw game nerfed... this strat is still extremely powerful.

Morrigan does not place at all without Hidden Missiles. People will cite Dieminion, but 95% of that team's work is done by Viewtiful Joe. The rest of the team is dysfunctional. Dr. Strange and Morrigan only close out the game once Joe has built a ton of meter and killed a character or two. My only concern with Astral Vision is that it leads to 1-player games. Chaining one Astral Vision after another is damaging to the game's meta. However, chaining Astral Vision, and Astral Vision being as effective as it is, only exists in a world with Hidden Missiles in its current state.

The buff on Hidden Missiles really is massive. I cannot stress enough how non-functional Morrigan/Doom will be against teams with beam hypers on them now. ChrisG's Morrigan, which is the closest to perfection we will ever see in her gameplay, still gets bopped. He still went 10-20 against Nemo's team, and Nemo's team isn't going to get any serious buffs across the characters.

I think that Morrigan nerfs are really premature, and she is merely forcing everyone to learn to play fighting games. I can't take a nerf on her seriously until top players stop raw tagging into 8-10 Soul Fists that make them lose half of their life or more.

Morrigan does not place at all without Hidden Missiles. People will cite Dieminion, but 95% of that team's work is done by Viewtiful Joe. The rest of the team is dysfunctional. Dr. Strange and Morrigan only close out the game once Joe has built a ton of meter and killed a character or two. My only concern with Astral Vision is that it leads to 1-player games. Chaining one Astral Vision after another is damaging to the game's meta. However, chaining Astral Vision, and Astral Vision being as effective as it is, only exists in a world with Hidden Missiles in its current state.

The buff on Hidden Missiles really is massive. I cannot stress enough how non-functional Morrigan/Doom will be against teams with beam hypers on them now. ChrisG's Morrigan, which is the closest to perfection we will ever see in her gameplay, still gets bopped. He still went 10-20 against Nemo's team, and Nemo's team isn't going to get any serious buffs across the characters.

I think that Morrigan nerfs are really premature, and she is merely forcing everyone to learn to play fighting games. I can't take a nerf on her seriously until top players stop raw tagging into 8-10 Soul Fists that make them lose half of their life or more.

I agree on all of this. I still think there's an answer for MorriDoom in the current game, people just haven't experimented enough.

It really just reminds me of Spiral/Sentinel and people flipping out over that. It still ended up being good, but not the broken mess everyone claimed.

Uncle AJ

I like OTG property for Kikosho. I always cringe every time I see Chun's pathetic damage scaling, but then I look at Dante. But then I remember how simple it is for Dante to end his combos with Million Dollars while Chun relies on not only tighter execution for a hyper finisher, but also an assist, which limits her DHC options afterwards.

Should we still keep infinite jump cancels on her j.2M? A.K.A. still keep the "original TAC infinite"

I feel like buffing the invincibility on EX SBK will make Tenshokyaku pretty much obsolete, both as a reversal and as combo filler.

Also here's a humble suggestion: change the input for Kikoanken from HCF+H,H to HCF+S. Capcom did their best to make this move more consistent to pull off, but it's still too easy to accidentally get Kikoken or Lightning Legs, which kinda blows since it's part of her max damage BnB starters.

Dahbomb

I thought I said we aren't going to use results in these arguments. Because if we start using results than Morrigan is a S tier character undeniably. You can cite all the matches that ChrisG has lost with Morrigan... I can cite 5 times as many where he has won with her, many times without losing a game in GF.

All you Morrigan players are trying to get Morrigan into the patch better than ever while putting ALL the blame on Missiles while also nerfing all the other top tiers. There is no way that Missiles is still useless especially since the assist is still capable of combo breaking you and still tracks extremely well. Not every team is going to have beam hypers on it (or the meter to use them against that composition), not every team is going to have Nova's godly air throw on it that dodges all the missiles. Most of the teams are still going to get destroyed by this like they get destroyed now.

I mean it's one thing to say "Morrigan is fine now" it's another to try to give her more buffs and leave the actual problem with her unaddressed. So if she's "fine" in the game now why is she getting buffed?

Here's the reality of the situation... if Capcom is going to patch this game you can bet your candy ass they will be looking for solutions to nerf AV/fireball pressure. They know people don't like having to sit there and block for the duration of the hyper (which is why I nerfed SS fairly). So it's better to come up with a decent solution yourself rather than leaving it to Capcom and having them do a triple nerf on the character like reduce fireball damage + durability + hit stun + no meter gain.

Well then I suppose nerf her meter building. That'll just make her fly around and dodge everything for a bit longer until she builds enough meter for AV again. Nerf her damage on soul fists and it'll just take longer to die. Nerf both and maybe people will be happy.

Maybe if her AV soul fists disappeared when she got hit then it would make shit better.

Dahbomb

I just did the math.

Morrigan is supremely buffed in the game under the new 35% chip change.

Everyone else has 20% more health... but it still takes Morrigan the EXACT SAME NUMBER OF FIREBALLS to chip them to death (40-41 fireballs on Wesker). In the current game, Morrigan could be fought against because you could kill her in one hit but now you really can't and most characters cannot afford to get in again to open her up because they are going to die from the chip.

How is this mathematically fair? Essentially a character like Morrigan has been 20% buffed in the game because it takes her the exact same time to kill someone on block as before. More health for her to chip means more meter for her as well.

How would you cut meter gain in half without nerfing the fireballs? You can't really change the rate of meter gain in the game... it's either through damage change or simple on/off.

Going to have to go with Viscant on this one, the meter gain on it has to go. In exchange she can have better startup/recovery on it. Either that or you can reduce the damage of the fireballs to Vanilla level.
Then we go full nuclear. Nerf the ball damage. Killing meter gain is too heavy handed.

I'm not a big fan of the system-wide buff to chip damage. This is especially true with the current X-factor values in the third post being what they are.

Dahbomb

The only change that makes sense is to nerf the fireball damage. Pretty much what FChamp was talking about in his podcast. 85K on a 5 durability fireball that can be on the screen 4 times is too much.

Morrigan Vanilla fireball damage was 70K IIRC. I will do the math of values in between to see which is the most appropriate.

In new game and old game it takes 40 fireballs to kill a full health Wesker on block.

In new game if you reduce Morrigan's fireball damage to 75K she kills a full health Wesker in 45-46 fireballs. This is about a less than 15% decrease in her zoning capability. This still puts her 5% above the system changes as even though it takes 15% more effort for her to kill on block, every other character has 20% more health than before so she still comes out ahead.

I like OTG property for Kikosho. I always cringe every time I see Chun's pathetic damage scaling, but then I look at Dante. But then I remember how simple it is for Dante to end his combos with Million Dollars while Chun relies on not only tighter execution for a hyper finisher, but also an assist, which limits her DHC options afterwards.

Should we still keep infinite jump cancels on her j.2M? A.K.A. still keep the "original TAC infinite"

I feel like buffing the invincibility on EX SBK will make Tenshokyaku pretty much obsolete, both as a reversal and as combo filler.

Also here's a humble suggestion: change the input for Kikoanken from HCF+H,H to HCF+S. Capcom did their best to make this move more consistent to pull off, but it's still too easy to accidentally get Kikoken or Lightning Legs, which kinda blows since it's part of her max damage BnB starters.
Folk need to not overlook this post

Especially the bolded.

I don't even know why the command is HCF.....well I know it's because that's what her fireball is in other games when it's non charge. It's just so arbitrary though.

Dahbomb

If you reduce the fireball damage from 85K to 75K (still 5K above Vanilla value) the values even out in terms of UMVC3 Morrigan compared to new Morrigan. The Soul Drain fireball should still remain at 85K though.

Reducing fireball damage reduces meter gain so no need to nerf the meter gain.

And how about this Morrigan change... TK Soul Fist (aimed downwards) OTGs. Maybe get a combo off of throw with fly into air dash?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If you reduce the fireball damage from 85K to 75K (still 5K above Vanilla value) the values even out in terms of UMVC3 Morrigan compared to new Morrigan. The Soul Drain fireball should still remain at 85K though.

Reducing fireball damage reduces meter gain so no need to nerf the meter gain.

I'd gladly accept that, personally.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";73233086]Why does she deserve a buff to her throw game? resetting the neutral on a hard zoning character isn't good enough?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much every character in the game regardless of archetype has ability to combo off of throw especially in this patch. Besides she can already combo with SS XF air dash.

Or would you prefer we take away air throw combos from Hawkeye? She isn't even going to get big damage off of it.

Pretty much every character in the game regardless of archetype has ability to combo off of throw especially in this patch. Besides she can already combo with SS XF air dash.

Or would you prefer we take away air throw combos from Hawkeye? She isn't even going to get big damage off of it.

Hawkeye can combo off any of his throws. But Hawkeye kills people with combos, not chip. Even with Rapid Slash.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";73234656]Hawkeye can combo off any of his throws. But Hawkeye kills people with combos, not chip. Even with Rapid Slash.[/QUOTE]
And we nerfed her chip now by 15%. Also Dorm and Chris also kill with chip they get full combos from air throw too (and we nerfed Chris' Flamethrower and Dorm's damage from combos).

Dante can still combo with non OTG assists though so its not a major problem for him.

Dahbomb

Screw doom missles I'm more worried about this with morrigan
Assists: Purification (Tracking)
LOL
She can already do that with Vajra sort of. In essence Vajra is better for her because it knocks them into the fireballs, someone flying above the fireballs would just get swatted up away from the fireballs with Purification. Purification is useless against ground characters because he is going to throw it out, they will dash forward and now two characters are open. In that situation Jam Session would be preferable and that's why I nerfed Jam Session in advance.

With the new OTG buff she can get combos from Vajra..

I don't feel like Soul Fist should OTG. The animation just doesn't look right. And if it did, you're opening yourself up to Soul Fist chains after a grab if Morrigan is in AV.

I approve of nerfing Soul Fist damage but not touching AV.

If people really want her air throw and command grab to lead to combos, just make them cause a ground bounce at the end. She slams them pretty hard as it is.

Curufinwe

I got my used copy of the Brady Guide in the mail today and the seller wasn't lying about it being in Almost New condition. I am really looking forward to diving in now.

Dahbomb

I don't feel like Soul Fist should OTG. The animation just doesn't look right. And if it did, you're opening yourself up to Soul Fist chains after a grab if Morrigan is in AV.
And that's a bad thing why? Her SF damage is already getting lowered.

Cap's aerial Shield Slash OTGs and that's the same concept. Pretty much every move that goes in an angle down or low to the ground is fair game for OTG. SF definitely qualifies.

I will gladly take Morrigan being able to combo off throws/get damage from them for being able to survive chip for 15% more hits/time.

I don't want her to get a ground bounce because that would make it too easy. TK Soul Fist, fly cancel, S to get a combo. Seems in line with the execution style of the character.

But hey if you don't want the OTG fireball and throw combo that's fine by me. As long as SF goes from 85 to 75k.

If she uses Soul Fist to OTG, then the untechable knockdown has to be improved. Right now her throws are tight links into Shadow Servant, which is 10+10 startup. Aerial Soul Fist is 10 frames, plus probably 10 frames of travel time and the jump...you're probably looking at extending the knockdown by 20 frames to make it realistic.

Maybe j.S should just OTG - that comes straight out of the ground!

Morrigan:
*Minimum hitstun on j.S reduced slightly.
*Shadow Servant THC chosen for all assist types.
*Finishing Shower hitstun increased.
*Vector Drain air OK.
*Darkness Illusion leaves opponent in a crumple state.
*Soul Fist and Soul Drain damage reduced to 70,000.
*Aerial Soul Fist L and M and Soul Drain now hit OTG.
*Air throws and Vector Drain (all) untechable knockdown increased by 30 frames.

Assists: Shadow Blade H, Dark Harmonizer, Soul Drain

Morrigan is now a grappler confirmed.

I'd rather them just cause a ground bounce, though. OTG Soul Fist is a weird idea to me. This also opens up new combo enders like:
Spike, TK Soul Fist, fly, Shadow Blade, Finishing Shower.

Dahbomb

Fine extend it by 20-30 frames.

Need to talk about Sentinel again.

Also I recommended that damage decrease to 75k. That's where the numbers make most sense. At 70K it becomes less effecient for the work required. Trust me, those numbers matter!

And Soul Drain damage should remain the same.

Fine extend it by 20 frames.

Need to talk about Sentinel again.

Also I recommended that damage decrease to 75k. That's where the numbers make most sense. At 70K it becomes less effecient for the work required. Trust me, those numbers matter!
I think it's fine at 70K, because we're trying to make it harder for her to lock people out, and we're encouraging using her command grabs and going in. During Astral Vision, players are still eating 140K at a time, so it's fine.

There's no reason to complicate things by making Soul Drain's damage different; no one will care if its damage goes down. It's all about the move's utility.

Dahbomb

OK if you say so.

Sentinel:
*Flight Startup reduced to 8 frames; Flight time increased to 180; Flight movement increased; Sentinel now turns faster when passing by opponents during Flight.
*Health increased to 1,100,000.
*j.M, c.M, s.S, j.S, and j.H now deal 15% chip damage.
*s.S returned to Vanilla hyper armor status.
*Rocket Punch +0 on block; hitstun increased to Vanilla levels.
*Hard Drive given a small vacuum effect on characters it hits; characters no longer drop out.
*Sentinel’s Taunt now provides passive super armor for 300 frames.
*Sentinel Force H startup reduced to 30 frames; drones arrive if Sentinel is hit on frame 1.
*Sentinel Force L/M fly-cancelable.
*j.H reduced to 14 frame startup.

Assists: Sentinel Force L, c.H, Launcher

I feel like if we are giving him these many great tools there should be a base damage nerf on the character. Most likely with a faster j.H, faster flight, increased hit stun on Rocket Punch... he is going to have better combos now too anyway.

It would make him less derp since that's what he is now. He only gets by on his high base damage because he touches you he kills you with easy combo.

Agreed.

It is gone through system changes.

EX SBK isn't a good anti-air.

Done.

OK if you say so.

I feel like if we are giving him these many great tools there should be a base damage nerf on the character. Most likely with a faster j.H, faster flight, increased hit stun on Rocket Punch... he is going to have better combos now too anyway.

It would make him less derp since that's what he is now. He only gets by on his high base damage because he touches you he kills you with easy combo.
Max damage Sentinel is like 800K for 1 bar. He has never been super high damage.

He also has terrible scaling for a heavy. 10/10? Christ.

Dahbomb

That's how much damage he does right now... with improved combos his combo potential/damage potential goes up. This is more like a pre-emptive nerf.

Also he definitely can cross 850K solo for 1 bar. With assists he can definitely cross 900K.

http://youtu.be/_00cJtEDq4U?t=57s

Either that or maybe reduce the damage on Plasma Storm or something. I mean for sure with those tools, health, mobility... that's a lot of easy front loaded damage.

That's how much damage he does right now... with improved combos his combo potential/damage potential goes up. This is more like a pre-emptive nerf.

Also he definitely can cross 850K solo for 1 bar.
He can cross 850K maybe by starting a combo with s.S. :p Edit: Or a j.S ground bounce.

The only thing that changed in terms of his hitstun was Rocket Punch, and we returned it to Vanilla levels of hitstun. No one had any good Rocket Punch combos then.

He still needs a reset to kill 99% of the cast now.

Sentinel:
*Flight Startup reduced to 8 frames; Flight time increased to 180; Flight movement increased; Sentinel now turns faster when passing by opponents during Flight.
*Rocket Punch +0 on block; hitstun increased to Vanilla levels; L version hits low.
*Hard Drive given a small vacuum effect on characters it hits; characters no longer drop out.
*Sentinel Force H startup reduced to 30 frames; drones arrive if Sentinel is hit on frame 1; bombs are dropped from a slightly greater height; area of effect slightly increased.
*Damage on Plasma Storm and all non-beam normals reduced by 10%.

Assists: Sentinel Force L, Sentinel Force H, c.H

Dahbomb

People also didn't have a faster flight cancel or a faster j.H back then. :p

Rocket Punch hit stun was nerfed because he got easy mode HSF combos after OTG and he had TAC combos off of Rocket Punch (which become irrelevant because of discover of infinites).

With Sentinel being more usable as a point character that means we will be seeing extensions with assists that let him do more damage. Someone like Wolverine even right now needs "resets" if he doesn't burn more than a bar but with more bars he can kill anyone.. Sentinel is sort of similar with Hard Drive loops into Plasma Storm. Hard Drive being improved means more of that hyper will actually hit the opponent now for more damage.

It's definitely a real consideration. More tools/better mobility means Sentinel will be opening people far more frequently now.

Edit: I just saw the Plasma Storm damage decrease... alright that works I guess

Edit#2: We aren't doing God' Beard idea of fly cancel counting as specials?

Speaking with a friend about this and would like opinions, assuming it's theoretically possible
Reducing damage on SF reduces meter gain on AV as well as damage on chip.

True. I voted in for a 10% nerf on Plasma Storm and all non-beam normals.

Note on Skrull: does anyone else think Inferno should be safe on block? The usual deal is Risky Move + Meter Burn = Safe. That's the rule for Hulk, Wolverine, Akuma, Ryu, etc. Why is Skrull an exception here?

Dahbomb

We aren't using God's Beard idea of fly being counted as a special move?

I guess that's more than enough buffs for Sentinel.

No need to make RP hit low now that it isn't an assist.

If we counted individual changes specifically as opposed to general changes on a single tool... Sentinel has more than 20 buffs. lol

We aren't using God's Beard idea of fly being counted as a special move?

I guess that's more than enough buffs for Sentinel.

No need to make RP hit low now that it isn't an assist.

Sentinel:
*Flight Startup reduced to 8 frames; Flight time increased to 180; Flight movement increased; Sentinel now turns faster when passing by opponents during Flight; Flight now limited by the number of specials used in the air total (3 per jump max).
*Rocket Punch +0 on block; hitstun increased to Vanilla levels; L version hits low.
*Sentinel Force H startup reduced to 30 frames; drones arrive if Sentinel is hit on frame 1; bombs are dropped from a slightly greater height; area of effect slightly increased.

And thoughts on my Skull idea? I kept Rocket Punch L low because it IS useful. When Sentinel does s.H, c.H, Rocket Punch, a lot of players are waiting to chicken block. Keep them crouching for a moment while you decide to fly cancel or whatever.

Dahbomb

does anyone else think Inferno should be safe on block? The usual deal is Risky Move + Meter Burn = Safe. That's the rule for Hulk, Wolverine, Akuma, Ryu, etc. Why is Skrull an exception here?
I thought that's what the other hyper's change was for? I thought that after it was completely, Skrull just recovers instantly?
When Sentinel does s.H, c.H, Rocket Punch, a lot of players are waiting to chicken block. Keep them crouching for a moment while you decide to fly cancel or whatever.
That's a mid screen low that leads into a full combo... now that RP has more hit stun and he can link into HSF from it. It's way too good.

I thought that's what the other hyper's change was for? I thought that after it was completely, Skrull just recovers instantly?
That was changed because even on hit it's not safe for Skrull, really. He still wouldn't be safe with that because tons of hypers and moves can hit him, and it's -11 on block.

Plus, Inferno should be his go-to move to make whiffed command grabs safe. I'd like to make it something like -3 on block so it's a safe option.

I'm getting rid of Sentinel Force L/M being fly-cancelable. I keep thinking about it, and it's just too good for pressure games. They're still solid keepaway tools.

That's a mid screen low that leads into a full combo... now that RP has more hit stun and he can link into HSF from it. It's way too good.
K.
Sentinel:
*Flight Startup reduced to 8 frames; Flight time increased to 180; Flight movement increased; Sentinel now turns faster when passing by opponents during Flight; Flight now limited by the number of specials used in the air total (3 per jump max).
*Rocket Punch +0 on block; hitstun increased to Vanilla levels.

Top Bottom