• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Zissou

I didn't realize we were talking anchor battles, haha. I'm used to having vajra with my Doom against Sent so that certainly skews my view of the match-up. Jump M being a multi-hit instant overhead against him is pretty great though.

You're right about plasma beam though- huge habit of doing them sequentially. I should really do light plasma beam sometimes to try to bait stuff. If someone is already conditioned to respect my durability because they expect heavy beam, light looks identical on start-up but recovers much faster, which might provide additional opportunities. Something to experiment with!

I didn't realize we were talking anchor battles, haha. I'm used to having vajra with my Doom against Sent so that certainly skews my view of the match-up. Jump M being a multi-hit instant overhead against him is pretty great though.

You're right about plasma beam though- huge habit of doing them sequentially. I should really do light plasma beam sometimes to try to bait stuff. If someone is already conditioned to respect my durability because they expect heavy beam, light looks identical on start-up but recovers much faster, which might provide additional opportunities. Something to experiment with!

Yeah strictly anchor. It's a matchup that used to happen very often since a lot of people used to run Doom at anchor. Doesn't happen as much nowadays since Doom seems to typically be second on most teams. Doom/Dante and especially Doom/Strider feel borderline impossible at times. Though it's rarely ever seen, Doom/Shuma is probably the most frustrating of all. Thank goodness no one wants to use Shuma. Doom/Sent I can deal with and Doom/Vergil isn't too bad either.

I'm guilty of multiple plasma beams as well, but I've been working hard to break the habit since it gets me bopped quite often. But yeah AS SOON as I see someone do one, I prepare to rushdown, because that second one is coming without fail.

Has anyone ever played this game with no music? It's really strange. And you can fully hear what all the characters are saying. I used to just make shit up because I had no idea what anyone was saying.

I swore when Iron Man went into xf he was saying "Hype reaction full power", but now that I can clearly hear it I know he's saying "Arc Reactor's full powered"

As an Iron Man fan I should have realized that, haha.

Sigmaah

Anyone tryna play 360?

Also, buying my Qanba stick next week hopefully so I'm coming for you ps3 players!!!

Is the ps3 version laggy as fuck or nah? And should I get a Qanba or stick with madcatz? I've had so many problems with madcatz sticks before soooo what do.

Vice

Anyone tryna play 360?

Also, buying my Qanba stick next week hopefully so I'm coming for you ps3 players!!!

Is the ps3 version laggy as fuck or nah? And should I get a Qanba or stick with madcatz? I've had so many problems with madcatz sticks before soooo what do.

Qanbas are good sticks. I've had a Q4Raf for a year and I've had no complaints.

Frantic

Finally got around to testing something that I was going to try out for my upcoming video: Bold Cancel snapback vs XFC. It works exactly as I was hoping.

Not only does it allow Dante to cancel a mid-startup normal into a snapback(making him the only character to be able to do this), the pre-jump frames make him unable to be thrown if your timing is right. Essentially, if the Dante is good enough to be able to do it on reaction to an XFC, the only way to punish him with an XFC reliably outside of XFC'ing a special is to use a snapback.

Man, I really love when something I imagine in my head actually works. The Dante tech grows ever longer. Now if only my theory of using TK'd snapback to avoid command grabs showed the same results. I have a feeling it'd work, but I must not be doing it correctly.

FSLink

Banned
So I want to pick up Rocket Raccoon completely. Any thoughts of Spitfire vs Log Trap for Zero/Vergil/RR? I'm thinking Log Trap at the moment.

Anyone tryna play 360?

You'll definitely notice the difference in the PS3 version, but it's certainly playable.
Finally got around to testing something that I was going to try out for my upcoming video: Bold Cancel snapback vs XFC. It works exactly as I was hoping.

Not only does it allow Dante to cancel a mid-startup normal into a snapback(making him the only character to be able to do this), the pre-jump frames make him unable to be thrown if your timing is right. Essentially, if the Dante is good enough to be able to do it on reaction to an XFC, the only way to punish him with an XFC reliably outside of XFC'ing a special is to use a snapback.

Man, I really love when something I imagine in my head actually works. The Dante tech grows ever longer. Now if only my theory of using TK'd snapback to avoid command grabs showed the same results. I have a feeling it'd work, but I must not be doing it correctly.
That sounds very useful....and it sounds like something I probably cannot do.

You play Trish too right? Does she beat Wolverine? I've been fighting this guy lately that plays a really good Trish and I just started playing Wolverine again but I'm getting completely worked by her.
So I want to pick up Rocket Raccoon completely. Any thoughts of Spitfire vs Log Trap for Zero/Vergil/RR? I'm thinking Log Trap at the moment.
Both are really good. I think it really depends on your playstyle. Spitfire is really good for mixups since it's not a blockstring. But you can confirm off of Log Trap from damn near anywhere. For Zero/Vergil, I think I might go with Spitfire. These are the teams I use with Rocket Raccoon.

RR/IronMan/Hawkeye (Log Trap)
Wolverine/Akuma/RR (Log Trap)
Wesker/Storm/RR (Spitfire like 90% of the time)

I pick Spitfire with Wesker/Storm because Wesker can do some nice teleport and command grab shenanigans between the shots and Storm isn't too bad with left/right mixups either if you're quick enough with the tri-dash.

I say Spitfire if you wanna be a bit more advanced and go for tricky mixups. Log Trap if you want easy mode.

FSLink

Banned
Log Trap would probably be better for in-coming mixups though plus my Zero's more lame so being able to just shadow clone up, spam some projectiles, annoy the opponent, and then confirm off a Log Trap into LL sounds nice.

But now that you reminded me that it doesn't form a true blockstring, Spitfire Twice could be useful in certain matchup. I'll mess around with both in casuals at the new arcade that opened up in San Antonio. :D

Frantic

That sounds very useful....and it sounds like something I probably cannot do.
It's a little tricky with the timing, but most of it comes down to being able to recognize an XF, and then input it all correctly(if you're too fast with the snapback, you'll get thrown since the prejump frames will be immediately canceled, too long and you'll get bopped, etc.). Just another thing that's massively helpful to Dante that won't really get used, unfortunately.
One day I'll be the best and do that shit for free.

You play Trish too right? Does she beat Wolverine? I've been fighting this guy lately that plays a really good Trish and I just started playing Wolverine again but I'm getting completely worked by her.
She beats him, yeah. He's forced to respect Hopscotch since he doesn't have anything that'll get him over it besides a superjump, and he doesn't have anything(outside assists) to attack her from a range. With Hopscotch out, it lets Trish play around it and get him to block something. His best bet is to get in start of the round, but Trish is pretty good at start of the round.

There aren't many assists that would help Wolv out in that matchup. Tatsu is good for the start, but becomes less useful mid-match since Hopscotch will blow it up(which could be helpful, but Trish can be pretty slippery and get away before Wolverine gets in). Drones can do work, but she can easily hit him with Low Voltage, so it's less useful. Bolts isn't too bad, but she can just duck right behind Hopscotch so you have to try to call it when she needs to refresh Hopscotch(and if she does it in the air, if Wolv is close he can generally get there fast enough to throw her before Hopscotch hits). It's a tough match for him, either way.

If I am playing against characters that stay in the air(Mags, Morrigan, Dr. Doom, etc...) Log Trap is the way to go, because it makes them think of staying up in the air and doing stuff with that assist, ANY character that loves to stay up in the air you NEED to use log trap no matter what IMO.

Zero does have a hard time stopping flyers doing their shit in the air, but alot of Zero players use a very good anti-air assist(Jam Session, Missles) so that is why we don't see zero players having a hard time with flyers at all because of those assists, so you need log trap to deal with those flyers if you don't have Jam Session or missiles.

If Zero is fighting ground based characters, I would use Spitfire 100% besides maybe some characters that have air movement too, but its your choice against the ground characters.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah I usually use missiles or jam so wanted to try something different. And RR anchor definitely scares people more than Dante anchor lol

Ghazi

I can hop on if you still want to play XBL. I want to test a new team.

Was just switching to CoD, yeah let's play! My GT is "Ghazzarro", although I may be forced to get off soon.

Yeah, we're already added, I forgot. You should probably host it, my internet's iffy today since we had a tornado/storm yesterday.

Vice

Was just switching to CoD, yeah let's play! My GT is "Ghazzarro", although I may be forced to get off soon.

Yeah, we're already added, I forgot. You should probably host it, my internet's iffy today since we had a tornado/storm yesterday.

Alright. Sounds good. Hope our connection is ok.

Ghazi

GGs, I can't connect to XBL anymore for some reason even though I have internet. I hate online, so frustrating to play on because of input delay.

Ghazi

I also can't log onto XBL again. GGs, good job being patient against lariat.
I don't really know what I was doing, I haven't played the game in 3 weeks now, so this was just coming back to it. Really don't like my team though, way to scrubby, and I don't have any combos for level 1-3 Frank.

XBL is back if you want to play more matches.

Vice

I don't really know what I was doing, I haven't played the game in 3 weeks now, so this was just coming back to it. Really don't like my team though, way to scrubby, and I don't have any combos for level 1-3 Frank.

XBL is back if you want to play more matches.

The team has so much synergy though.

This video has a lot of F, West combos, some more practical than others.

Once you get to level three Frank has a lot of unavoidable setups with Nova and Dante dur to funny face smasher.

Ghazi

The team has so much synergy though.

This video has a lot of F, West combos, some more practical than others.

Once you get to level three Frank has a lot of unavoidable setups with Nova and Dante dur to funny face smasher.

Ha, I was actually watching that video earlier and couldn't even get the first one shown to work (during the Tools of Survival H->j. M, j. M wouldn't connect).

I still haven't worked on the setups yet, though, I'll get to it one day.

GG's Beef. I was about to leave anyway.....gotta go watch that stupid ass EC <_<

I couldn't help but shake my head and laugh every time I completely blew one of those matches. Lag kept making me TAC on accident too dammit.

There were kids playing outside and it seemed like whenever I lost they started laughing. Felt bad man.

GG's Beef. I was about to leave anyway.....gotta go watch that stupid ass EC <_<

I couldn't help but shake my head and laugh every time I completely blew one of those matches. Lag kept making me TAC on accident too dammit.

There were kids playing outside and it seemed like whenever I lost they started laughing. Felt bad man.

GGs to you too!

FSLink

Banned
Been playing the Vita version online while watching some DBZ DVDs....man the competition on it is terrible...not surprising, but I do dislike how people rage quit so much that they assume I'm also one of them due to my win streak. >_>;
I did get a kick out of someone not believing that I don't rage quit and challenged me...only to get 8-0'd

Well almost got that stupid 6th lord trophy so I don't have to touch ranked on that thing ever again.

Sigmaah

All I wanna do is play marvel.... Fuck everything else lmao.

Having real good success with Zero/Sent/Vergil

Dem drones too good. Still working on my sent tho. I've been getting my Loops on the right side a lot more then I used to and I could only do 1-2 reps on that side only before. (Just feels mad weird that's why I couldn't do them) but I think I found the way!

Vergil with drones pressure is fucking nuts, it opens ppl up a lot.

Played Zangiefan in a long as fuck set and our set ended 43 me 40 him because the match randomly quit out. His Hulk/Haggar pressure is nuts.

Vice

Time to prep for SCR. What is a Doom non-infinite TAC combo that can be learned in a few days? I'm trying to get infinites down already but in the meantime I should up my damage with Doom as much as possible.

Hopefully I get on stream. I've been practicing some interesting setups and combos with both of my teams that I haven't seen done on stream before. I probably just jynxed myself though and I'll end up playing against Chris G. at the start of my pool.

JeTmAn81

Been playing the Vita version online while watching some DBZ DVDs....man the competition on it is terrible...not surprising, but I do dislike how people rage quit so much that they assume I'm also one of them due to my win streak. >_>;
I did get a kick out of someone not believing that I don't rage quit and challenged me...only to get 8-0'd

Well almost got that stupid 6th lord trophy so I don't have to touch ranked on that thing ever again.

The competition on the Vita version is generally a lot easier when compared to the console versions, but there are still some good players on there. I'm talking people who can do lightning loops on the Vita, online. I ran into a guy from Japan the other night who ran point Strider, Dante and Skrull. The connection was surprisingly good, and so was he. Most of the time his Skrull just rolled me. I have no idea how to fight that character, it seems like everything I do gets punished. His point Strider was actually really good too, generally not doing too much of the dumbest stuff, but I have enough Strider experience that he wasn't too much of a problem.

Frantic

Bleh. Finally got time to record some stuff, and the Bold Cancel tech above somehow seems to be behaving completely differently than last time. Either I had a faulty Recording last time, or this game hates me whenever I try to record it(probably the latter, since shit never works right when I try to record.) Another thing did was me backwards plinkdashing away from the entirety of Vergil's Dimensional Slash, but that shit didn't work once I started recording.

Welp looks like no SCR for me. Although UCI is less than a mile from me, I couldn't get myself to cough up $50+ dollars to play a couple games of marvel. I may have considered it more if they had casual stations set up so I could just play all day but last year they didn't have any up until the end of night. Good luck to all that are joining.

Top Bottom