• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer detailed

Depends. Pay to skip can also = pay to win if earning things take an absurd amount of time.

If it takes like 50 hours to get something that Joe Schmoe paid $5 to get instantly, that's BS.
It's still not Pay To Win, even if it takes forever
I think of it as a power cap; if anyone, free or paying, have the same power cap then it's fine

Dave_6

Fantastic! Can't wait to play the MP again. The two betas were up there with the most fun I've had playing a MP game.

xRaizen

I would argue that in some cases pay to skip is pay to win as well.... If the grind is too long. Some games, mostly freemium iOS though, will allow you to technically unlock everything just by playing but it will take so long it's not even realistic to do so.

It really just all depends on how long it takes to unlock stuff. I doubt it's more than a few hours in UC4 though.
Yep. If it's like Black Ops 3, I'll be fine with it. 2 hours of gameplay nets you 30 keys (enough to open a rare supply drop).

xRaizen

It's still not Pay To Win, even if it takes forever
I think of it as a power cap; if anyone, free or paying, have the same power cap then it's fine
You've obviously never played freemium mobile games or the myriad of F2P MMO games that have a pay to skip model. Neverwinter is one of the worst.

The multiplayer will always be niche compared to the sp and other multiplayer specific games. Nice for everyone who loves it, but not Halo/Call of Duty Big.

It's a complete opposite style of what they did for TLOU, which is essentially Pay to Win. There has to be a catch.

There has to be a catch somewhere, and its usually taking a long time to acquire money/gems to buy items.

You've obviously never played freemium mobile games or the myriad of F2P MMO games that have a pay to skip model. Neverwinter is one of the worst.
fam I am the freemium switcher extraordinaire
IMHO, Mobile Freemium is like 100000x better than F2P MMOs with pay-to-skip because at least the Mobile guys just give it to you fast

Cowboy Dan

Neo Member
Well, the trials thing is not coop, but coop is coming autumn 2016!!
26157463154_29afac49f6_b.jpg
Is it supposed to be winter 2016, instead of 2017? Kinda out of order as is.

Nosgotham

Free dlc will make it a lot easier when they patch the game and completely change the damage/balance making it play very differently 5 months in. Yes I'm still bitter they ruined UC2, the best online multiplayer there was

sense

Is it supposed to be winter 2016, instead of 2017? Kinda out of order as is.

probably means january or february 2017 considering that is still considered winter in the US.

edit: damnit beaten

i would guess first dlc is august, second dlc is november, third is february 2017 and the last one is may 2017. one year of content

Drencrom

we want to highlight that all future maps and modes will be included with Uncharted 4 at no additional cost, and all vanity and gameplay in-game store items will be unlockable through gameplay!

Hell yes!

So glad Naughty Dog are finally "getting it", separating your MP community with maps and weapons just isn't a good strategy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's a complete opposite style of what they did for TLOU, which is essentially Pay to Win. There has to be a catch.

There has to be a catch somewhere, and its usually taking a long time to acquire money/gems to buy items.

If it's like the beta, there will be MTs to allow you to choose what cosmetic items to unlock instead of grinding out the relic items to get the chests that give you random ones.

3rdbass

Banned
No Co-op sucks as that is where I spend all my time. I wonder if it is just going to be a traditional horde modes or will it have a separate story also like the past two installments?

I guess I will have to tryout trials in the mean time to quench my co-op needs. I probably won't play much MP as I don't have the time or interest to sink into it.

Definitely a disappointment for me but I also play Uncharted for the Main Story.

Tagg9

So is plunder one of the modes coming next week or do we have to wait for it?

The game launches with all of the modes described in the blog post. So yes, plunder will be available day one.

I need to know if the co-op is offline only or online also.

If anything, the co-op is probably online-only. They wouldn't make it only functional offline.

Falchion

That's awesome to hear that they've got a lot of free support planned for this. Based on my time with the beta's, this will be the first Uncharted game where I really dive into the multiplayer.

DOWN

Banned
It really astonishes me that it has taken game designers so long to learn the lessons of ME3 Multiplayer versus CoD. Map packs just split your community up and shorten the lifespan of your playerbase. Give the maps away for free to make the game last longer!
For real. EA has it perfect with the BioWare games.

Zemm

I think the MP in these games are pretty terrible but I'll give it a go. Naughty Dog moving away from DLC hell is nice to see as well. Looking forward to the co-op more than anything else, hopefully it's pretty meaty content wise and not just an afterthought.

Memento

I think the MP in these games are pretty terrible but I'll give it a go. Naughty Dog moving away from DLC hell is nice to see as well. Looking forward to the co-op more than anything else, hopefully it's pretty meaty content wise and not just an afterthought.

Uncharted 2 MP was the best MP I have ever played in my life. No hyperbole.

Good job naughty dog. Halo doing this was good and it is nice to see a similar direction being taken.

Finally they're learning. I'm fine with cosmetic shit being paid only (though it appears not to be here) but leave gameplay away from pay to win shit

Fantastic news! Loving that Halo 5/R6 Siege route of free maps and modes with optional micro-transactions if you don't play all the time. Bummer coop isn't there at launch, that's what my friends and I get the most fun out of, but better late than never! We'll keep playing Siege and U4 multi til the coop drops. Had better be a wave mode. If I wanted it objective based I'd just play against real people ffs.

Top Bottom