• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United States Election: Nov. 8, 2016 |OT| Hate Trumps Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Time Magazine:
DDw8J4o.jpg

Yessssss. The End is Near, indeed!

On a serious note, this whole weekend and day of the presidency are going to be absolutely crazy. I am afraid of what the Crazy Trump supporters will possibly come up when they realize that their Devil King isn't going to win and that means Color matters!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I was really surprised that only about 66% register to vote and only 57% voted in the last election. That is so low!

saelz8

Been playing with 270ToWin and it isn't going to be easy for Trump to get to 270. He practically has to sweep all the swing states.

Branduil

I was really surprised that only about 66% register to vote and only 57% voted in the last election. That is so low!

The electoral college destroys a lot of the incentive for people to vote in most states. If the US switched to popular vote that percentage would increase for presidential elections.

Donos

i hope this won't be a dejavu like brexit where i wake up here in germany, start the news and see that trump has won. I seriously couldn't belive it for a few minutes when i saw that. That was bizarre.

The electoral college destroys a lot of the incentive for people to vote in most states. If the US switched to popular vote that percentage would increase for presidential elections.

That would make sense if voter registration was much higher for local elections and midterms, but it's much lower.

Don't worry rest of the world. Minorities and women got this.

Branduil

Do swing states have higher percentages of voter registration then?

Generally.

http://www.electproject.org/2012g

A big part of it is you have the three biggest states(California, Texas, and New York) not being remotely competitive(but that's starting to change in Texas).

That would make sense if voter registration was much higher for local elections and midterms, but it's much lower.

Why would that make sense? Most people are more interested in voting for president than for their local rep. If your vote for the president isn't going to matter, you have less incentive to vote... that's exactly why midterms have lower turnout.

I live in a suburb of Atlanta and I have to say I was really surprised at how little choice I actually had when voting. Yeah, I had 3 choices for President and Senator, but every single local office was a Republican running unopposed. It's very telling that other parties don't even bother trying to run against them.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Interested in how close the polling will be to results this go around.

It will be an entertaining night for sure, so I plan on popping some popcorn.

Oh wow Obama is on the way out?

Edit: wtf the guy from the apprentice Is running for president!?! LOL America

Where have you been? lol

Following the election close be glad when it's over. Do the right thing please and crush Trump in a landslide win for Hillary. The world is already fucked up enough, let's not blow ourselves up because the US elected a scumbag to office.

Syder

There's a heck of a lot of hopium over on PoliGAF and GAF as a whole is kind of an echo chamber for Clinton positivity.
As a Brit that witnessed his country make one of the biggest mistakes in its history, I really hope all this positivity is justified.
See that church that got burned down and had 'Vote Trump' sprayed on it? That's only going to get worse if this guy gets in.
Oh wow Obama is on the way out?

Edit: wtf the guy from the apprentice Is running for president!?! LOL America
So when did you get of off that desert island?

giga

If all goes according to keikaku, I just want everyone to thank a minority and/or woman on Wednesday.

doing_my_part_starship_troopers-1.gif

Herne

From an Irish and European person, please go out and vote and please vote for Hillary Clinton. The world is watching with baited breath...

It could basically be done as soon as NH, FL, OH or NC are called right? Trump would have to win all of them.

So at what time can I expect to stop panicking? 10ish?

So we are voting in a single term president either way right?

If its Trump, definitely. But that's by default because it may be the last term for any President of the United States. We'll all either be speaking Russian or dead by 2020

If its Clinton, hmmm good chance of it. I would expect Republicans to double down on the obstruction if she's President and hope she's the one who gets blamed when nothing gets done over the next 4 years; underlying the importance of looking downballot at the polls as well as at the top of the ticket.

Quonny

My wife, who is a staunch Republican, showed me her mail-in ballet. She marked everything Republican except one little circle.

HylianTom

Banned
So we are voting in a single term president either way right?
One four-year Presidential term, and several lifetime Supreme Court appointments.

As of late, most SCOTUS terms are lasting more than 25 years apiece.

The consequences of this one will reach very far into the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom