• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unravel | Review Thread

gamerMan

I like that this is not your typical platformer. Some of the puzzles with the yarn look interesting. The movement doesn't look that great but this is a beautiful game. It looks like a playable Toy Story.

Phyla

Firewatch, Unravel, The Witness, Oxenfree.. indie games off to an awesome start this year! Here's hoping for retail releases.

Alo0oy

Banned
What exactly is an independent developer? Is Fuse an indie game too, since Insomniac Games is independent and it's also an EA partners game?

Journey is called indie despite its publisher being a big corporation, and is frequently cited as a game that put indies on the map, these days indie games are games developed by independent developers, not necessarily self-published.

Like how it works in movies, Fox & Sony themselves distribute independent movies.

danowat

Banned
Isn't it about time we stopped with the indie non-indie nomenclature?

It just muddies the waters and the title holds all sorts of connotations both positive and negative.

Not everything is so black and white.

Been looking forward to this for a while and happy to see all the good reviews. Absolutely love the art style and can't wait to pick this up tomorrow.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Journey is called indie despite its publisher being a big corporation, and is frequently cited as a game that put indies on the map, these days indie games are games developed by independent developers, not necessarily self-published.

Like how it works in movies, Fox & Sony themselves distribute independent movies.

That was my original train of thought.

Made by an independent studio, regardless of funding. Kickstarter in essence is no different than EA, MSFT, or Sony funding an independent studio then.

Alienfan

But even that is shaky logic, because Sunset Overdrive is technically an indie game then.

Alo0oy

Banned
But even that is shaky logic, because Sunset Overdrive is technically an indie game then.

Yes, it does get murky with cases like that. But it's an extremely rare case that happens once or twice a year at most. It gets even more complicated with games like Project Cars, which was a crowdfunded game, by an independent developer, that was later published by Bandai Namco.

There can never be a 100% accurate definition of "indie games" because of rare cases like this. So people accepted that in order for a game to be indie, the game needs to be developed by an independent studio.

This thread shows me why it's good not to care about reviews... Because I'd be confused!
No, it shows you why the content of the review is more important than a number. You read the critique because something that might be a negative to the reviewer just might be your cup of tea.

Avoid the scale, read the content.

maxcriden

I like that this is not your typical platformer. Some of the puzzles with the yarn look interesting. The movement doesn't look that great but this is a beautiful game. It looks like a playable Toy Story.

If you want something like this game but with better movement (from what I've read, and I will say I am looking forward to playing Unravel) and more content, check out Yoshi's Woolly World or Kirby's Epic Yarn. (Granted, the focus on puzzling there is significantly less, especially if you're trying to just beat the games and not 100% them.)

As I get older I'm beginning to feel like mixed review/polarizing games are usually the most interesting to me.

Curious to try this.

Zemm

Are there really complaints about the controls/movement? I just played through the whole trial on Origin Access and it controlled perfectly. Some of the puzzles were pretty clever, beautiful game and music, definitely going to buy it at some point.

That's quite the wide range of scores which I wasn't expecting. I might check it out still at some point once I'm through my backlog

eso76

Polygon (60) complains they had to backtrack a lot to unknot and be able to proceed.
The only other review I read (70) complains the "limited wool on Yarny" mechanics are underused and only forced them to backtrack 2 or 3 times in the whole game, which they felt wasnt enough.

Oh well.

Zemm

I had to unknot once because I completed one of the puzzles but did it so badly I used up way too much wool, then I did it much more efficiently. I'm guessing that's going to be what all complaints about backtracking will be about.

danowat

Banned
OK, so there is a bit in the third level that you could argue that the controls and puzzle mechanics are a little wonky......

Pimpbaa

I personally think it's a solid set of scores, but, these days it seems that if a game doesn't do solid 8's across the board it's not worth considering, at least until a sale or what not.

Fucking glad I don't think like you otherwise I would have missed out on a shitload of great games.

Saty

The Unravel IP isn't owned by the developer studio, hence the game surely cannot be 'indie'. Gearbox is an independent developer that can get into agreements to make publisher-backed non-indie games such as Borderlands and Battleborn or can make something they fully own 'indie' game like Homeworld remastered collection.

Raist

Banned
Seems a bit divided, but overall the main criticisms are a bit odd.

And who the fuck cares if it should count as indie or not? It's a beautiful, original game made by a small team of passionate people.

wouwie

The game is up on the EU store. I can't wait to go home (at work now), buy and play this game. Been looking forward to it ever since it was revealed.

danowat

Banned
Trying to decide between PS4 and PC. I hate Origin but I keep seeing people mention the PS4 version not running great.

Are they?, runs fine on the XBO, can't understand why the PS4 would run worse?

As for the length, the levels are taking me about an hour a piece, so I think, for me, it will be upwards of 10 hours.

Are they?, runs fine on the XBO, can't understand why the PS4 would run worse?

As for the length, the levels are taking me about an hour a piece, so I think, for me, it will be upwards of 10 hours.

I just realized that I read that about Firewatch whoops. PS4 it is for this one then.

Flintty

Such a spectrum of ratings. I should really sign up for EA access again so I can try it myself.

Waiting for the Biogamer Girl review though. Because that's how we do things 'round 'ere.

dan2026

You know what this game needs, a demo.

It seems like a personal taste game.
Feel like I need to try before I buy.

SL128

So Killscreen decided to put up this bizarre anti-review
A videogame called Unravel will be released tomorrow. It may be a good game, and it is certainly a good-looking one, with a soft focus and hazy depth of field; tree leaves rustle convincingly and thick snowflakes pile up as the camera pans ever right-ward. It appears to make use of this tactile world for a series of physics-based puzzles, like moving rocks to get up on ledges and creating makeshift vines with which to soar across little ponds. These may be very clever puzzles, building toward a resolution that is very satisfying, but I will never know, because I will never play Unravel, and that is because its protagonist, a little red yarn-man named Yarny, can go fuck himself.
I’m fine with cuteness—I am a cat person.
Fan art, of which there is a lot, frequently paints Mario and Yarny together, but this makes no sense. Imagine these two sharing a world: Mario would set that motherfucker on fire and keep on running. Mario has shit to do. Yarny just wants you to cry. Fuck Yarny.

Top Bottom