• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

JordanN

Banned
Maybe I can be active in this thread again.

Inspired by Guilty Gear Xrd, I too wanted to make my own "3d cartoon that looks 2D" in UE4. I also wanted to debunk the "Unreal can't do colors" myth.

Ud99FSg.jpg

One difference though is I actually use more sprites than 3d models, just to help speed up production.
aoY2Jtj.png

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
VR Instanced Stereo Rendering is great though, significant CPU savings.

Yup, looking forward to that quite a bit.

---

Picked up a couple of Udemy courses recommended by a friend to help brush up on C++ and get familiar with the basics:
https://www.udemy.com/unrealcourse/
https://www.udemy.com/blendertutorial/
Used this coupon code which reduced them to $15 each, so they came to $30 instead of nearly $400: MACMAGAZINE

Any recommended reading lists? I have lots of free reading time on transit.

desu

Picked up a couple of Udemy courses recommended by a friend to help brush up on C++ and get familiar with the basics:
https://www.udemy.com/unrealcourse/
https://www.udemy.com/blendertutorial/
Used this coupon code which reduced them to $15 each, so they came to $30 instead of nearly $400: MACMAGAZINE

Any recommended reading lists? I have lots of free reading time on transit.

Thanks for that, I was just looking at that c++ course a few days ago but didn't want to spend that much, with the coupon its dirt cheap though.

As for lists, anything on here for you? https://unreal-engine-4.zeef.com/tom.looman

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Thanks for that, I was just looking at that c++ course a few days ago but didn't want to spend that much, with the coupon its dirt cheap though.

As for lists, anything on here for you? https://unreal-engine-4.zeef.com/tom.looman

Nice, glad to help. That list looks good - guess I can just download the videos in advance for transit. Thanks

Edit: yup, Udemy's app has integrated support for downloading the videos in advance.

Tain

heads up to the VR crew, 4.11.1 with updated Oculus SDK support got released today.

Also, 4.11 added fixed timesteps to GPU particle effects. This caught me off guard and I had no idea what was going on when tons of my particle effects were acting choppy. You can configure it with r.GPUParticle.FixDeltaSeconds (a value like 0.011 might be what you want for the new HMDs).

Onemic

What's the best way to begin learning Unreal Engine 4? (And I guess just making a game in general) Im more interested in the coding side than the pure design side, so would doing all the C++ tutorials be a good start? Or should I go with the video tutorials(They seem to cover different things).

Tain

I'd say do some tutorials on basic map design and material editing (should be quick to get basics down), then do some blueprint tutorials before c++. Blueprint gives you a good intro to what you'll be doing in c++, and you may even find that you don't need c++ for what you want.

Been too long for me to suggest any specific tutorials unfortunately.

as someone with little art skills, that is making a game in unity 5 right now i was curious, has anyone seen a top down zelda-like game done in unreal 4? how is the asset store? my strengths again are not in art, but in direction and map creation.

as someone with little art skills, that is making a game in unity 5 right now i was curious, has anyone seen a top down zelda-like game done in unreal 4? how is the asset store? my strengths again are not in art, but in direction and map creation.

There's a top-down game template that comes built-in to UE4 that would work well for a Zelda-like game. You'd have to add your own combat mechanics to it, though, as it's only the movement and camera that are taken care of for you already.

It doesn't come with assets (characters, props, etc) though other than the default blue UE4 guy. You'll have to make assets yourself, or get them from the Unreal Marketplace or elsewhere. I always just make my own.

There's a top-down game template that comes built-in to UE4 that would work well for a Zelda-like game. You'd have to add your own combat mechanics to it, though, as it's only the movement and camera that are taken care of for you already.

It doesn't come with assets (characters, props, etc) though other than the default blue UE4 guy. You'll have to make assets yourself, or get them from the Unreal Marketplace or elsewhere. I always just make my own.
Thanks for the response, guessing you haven't used the unreal marketplace much to compare it to unity's asset store then? If not anyone else able to compare them?

Thanks for the response, guessing you haven't used the unreal marketplace much to compare it to unity's asset store then? If not anyone else able to compare them?

Yeah, I haven't used the marketplace much. I've only bought sound packs from it, which were very good and have been super useful for my game. But I've yet to buy anything visual from it, like models, textures, etc. since I can make those myself.

Have you tried looking through the marketplace? It can be browsed via a web browser without actually installing UE4. It should give you an idea. https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace

IMO, Unity's store is probably still much better in terms of sheer quantity. Unreal's store has some really fantastic, really high-quality stuff, but its quantity is probably still dwarfed by the amount of content on Unity's store. It's just a result of Epic being so late to the store thing compared to Unity. Unity had a huge headstart.

I'm getting a laptop soon and while it's not a power house at all i5-6200u with a HD 520M, how will UE4 run with it? It's coming with 6GB Ram but I'm going to install the 8 from my previous laptop. I'm not looking to create anything intense, just want to mess around with it really.

JordanN

Banned
I'm getting a laptop soon and while it's not a power house at all i5-6200u with a HD 520M, how will UE4 run with it? It's coming with 6GB Ram but I'm going to install the 8 from my previous laptop. I'm not looking to create anything intense, just want to mess around with it really.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Recommended_Hardware
Even the better laptops are getting 30fps at best.
Though it really depends on what you mess with. There are UE4 demos built with mobile in mind so you might see more fps there. But heavier stuff like the Kite demo or anything with a lot of lighting in it = laptop tanks.

Systems with integrated graphics are not officially supported by UE4 or Epic. Some people with Intel Graphics have even had to use hacks and workarounds to even get the editor to launch. Expect performance to be generally poor if you can actually get it to open.

I've seen some say that it will still run okay enough if your game is entirely unlit (by disabling Unreal's lighting system entirely) but I still need to test that myself. I have a Linux Chromebook that also has integrated graphics and I'd love to run the engine on the thing. It's so light and portable so I could get work done when I'm not home if UE4 ran on it.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Recommended_Hardware
Even the better laptops are getting 30fps at best.
Though it really depends on what you mess with. There are UE4 demos built with mobile in mind so you might see more fps there. But heavier stuff like the Kite demo or anything with a lot of lighting in it = laptop tanks.

Systems with integrated graphics are not officially supported by UE4 or Epic. Some people with Intel Graphics have even had to use hacks and workarounds to even get the editor to launch. Expect performance to be generally poor if you can actually get it to open.

I've seen some say that it will still run okay enough if your game is entirely unlit (by disabling Unreal's lighting system entirely) but I still need to test that myself. I have a Linux Chromebook that also has integrated graphics and I'd love to run the engine on the thing. It's so light and portable so I could get work done when I'm not home if UE4 ran on it.
Thanks guys. Yeah, not looking to make anything like the Kite demo at all. Just wanted to test it is all. I'll probably tinker around with it just to do some low level stuff if I can.

JordanN

Banned
It was intentional. I wanted to recreate the high exposure when looking at a bright lightsource so the blinds were just a stand in.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Those blinds aren't an issue of incorrect lighting, it's very obviously a lightmap UV done poorly, likely without padding between faces. (Generally known as light\shadow bleeding)
Wall is also going to need a higher lightmap resolution.
Dynamic shadows are often better than static shadows, though. Static lighting point is global illumination and free shadows - but yeah, you're going to need heavier lightmaps than that.

AmyS

Now that more powerful GPUs are in more PCs these days (i.e. 970 and up) and with more powerful consoles coming next year, especially Xbox Scorpio,
what are the chances that SVOGI would get re-implemented into UE4 ? Or has something equivalent already been added to the latest versions ?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
.. you'll use lightmass and you'll like it!
some kind of lightprobe tech would be nice. Cry and Frostbite have it =\

There's also LPVs, technically...

dr_rus

Now that more powerful GPUs are in more PCs these days (i.e. 970 and up) and with more powerful consoles coming next year, especially Xbox Scorpio,
what are the chances that SVOGI would get re-implemented into UE4 ? Or has something equivalent already been added to the latest versions ?

UE4 is PC focused these days mostly so I'm not so sure that console updates will have much impact on its development.

image_6.gif

The new "VR Editor" mode allows you to navigate and edit levels while immersed in virtual reality! You can select and move objects, and even grab the "world" itself and freely drag, rotate or scale your entire level! With motion controllers in VR, you have one-to-one control over objects and your perspective.

Oh my god

The future is here

AmyS

UE4 is PC focused these days mostly so I'm not so sure that console updates will have much impact on its development.

Well, than strictly for PCs, now that gaming PCs have significantly more GPU performance than the ones in 2012-2013.

JordanN

Banned
Great work! What are you using for reflections - cube/sphere reflection captures or SSR?Also, is this part of a game, or just scene?

I upgraded to the new 4.12 update, which has planar reflections (gives better perspective) and allows you to increase the default cubemap resolution. I only used a sphere reflection actor for this.

And sadly, not a game (at least, not one yet).

Top Bottom