• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

border

This game will flop and Sony will think it's because of the game. No, you idiots. It's because you're releasing this a week before Metal Gear Solid V!

The game will flop because it's the type of game TellTale sells for $25, except priced at $60. Reviews will more than likely trounce it for being a "play once, then put it down forever" affair. It's supposed to be centered around replayability, which is completely at odds with the "You have to start over from the beginning every time" dogma they're also pushing.

I also think that allowing Redbox to carry the game is going to crush sales. I know I'm not buying this for $60 when I can probably beat it in a few evenings.

Walpurgis

Banned
The game will flop because it's the type of game TellTale sells for $25, except priced at $60. Reviews will more than likely trounce it for being a "play once, then put it down forever" affair. It's supposed to be centered around replayability, which is completely at odds with the "You have to start over from the beginning every time" dogma they're also pushing.

I also think that allowing Redbox to carry the game is going to crush sales. I know I'm not buying this for $60 when I can probably beat it in a few evenings.

While those things certainly don't help, I think MGSV is the biggest killer. People probably won't think to rent it because it's just not on their mind.

lazyguy

I'm going to an event this week.It's an Until Dawn presentation. Anything you wanna know and that I'm allowed to talk about I will repord here. So? Any questions?

dr_rus

Horrible release timing. Definetly something I'm interested in but won't have the time nor moneys due to MGS5 and Destiny. At least it'll be a bit cheaper when I do have the time.

Well, it'll be a week before MGSV. The game is 10-15 hours long, you should be able to deal with it in a week?
The next window of opportunity would be late January or February 2016. The schedule is stuffed with major AAA releases between MGSV on 1st Sep until Just Cause 3 and Hitman in early Dec.

Only thing I don't get is why the Move support was dropped. Seems like a perfect fit for a slower, more methodical gameplay experience, and I would imagine many of the characters would be holding a flashlight.

Bundle it with a Move and I think it would sell pretty well.

But, if Byles is to be believed, character deaths are really only the most shocking and obvious part of the Butterfly Effect system. Dozens, if not hundreds, of tiny choices are made throughout the game, and they can impact everything from the relationship between two friends to how much of the overall mystery you actually end up uncovering.

"There’s no empirical answer really to how many decisions you make throughout the game," Byles says. "There are thousands, literally thousands of endings. In fact, I think it’s millions. But that’s not because there are millions of different endings. It’s just that the mathematical permutations of eight people, all of whom can live or all of whom can die in any order in any number of ways. It just gives that many permutations. And that’s just on endings."

Byles says he "can almost guarantee that there will be no two people on the planet who will take the same path through the game." There are events in the story that will happen no matter what through the course of a playthrough, but he also mentions "a huge amount of content" a player will never see if they only play the game once.

More games need this. What's sad is you're getting this freedom of choice in what would otherwise be a linear story-driven game when we should be seeing this level of freedom in RPGs and open-world games.

Alo0oy

Banned

Is that why Quantic Dream's games flopped as well? Oh no they actually didn't.

Stop projecting your view of "value" into the market, the market has decided twice that they'd buy these types of games, if you think they're not worth it doesn't mean the market does.

Sony clearly sees these games as profitable, which is why they greenlit Until Dawn & QD's PS4 project, & we both know that Sony isn't shy of closing a studio that isn't profitable.

Yaari

More games need this. What's sad is you're getting this freedom of choice in what would otherwise be a linear story-driven game when we should be seeing this level of freedom in RPGs and open-world games.

It sounds great but I'll really have to see it before I can put any value to it.

MisterR

This seems like the exact opposite of a play it once, never pick it up again game. With all the different choices to make through the game. I plan on playing it several times.

MMaRsu

Banned
This game is hopefully going to be damn amazing. Im hoping for something a lot better than Telltale's latest efforts in the 'make your own story' genre. In fact the choices in Telltale games hardly have any impact on the overall story.

This game will be mine day one.

ZarKryn7

I can just sense people bashing on the story already just because it has that corny 80s slasher feeling or whatnot. The thing is super massive game made it intentional to have that vibe. I for one find it fun and funny that way. I can finally kill off the idiots and douches and keep the smart and fun ones in my playthrough. That is if I can.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
This seems like the exact opposite of a play it once, never pick it up again game. With all the different choices to make through the game. I plan on playing it several times.

At 10-15 hours, I'll probably just play it once through, myself. But I'm looking forward to seeing how the game differs when my brother and nephew play the game. And I know a few Let's Players that should be entertaining as hell going through this.

I think Until Dawn will be a smash hit on Twitch and the like...

Dinjooh

At 10-15 hours, I'll probably just play it once through, myself. But I'm looking forward to seeing how the game differs when my brother and nephew play the game. And I know a few Let's Players that should be entertaining as hell going through this.

I think Until Dawn will be a smash hit on Twitch and the like...

For me it'll depend on how good the story is. If I get properly invested in these characters, of course I'll try again and see if they can survive this time.

The black man will survive in this game, dammit.

OniBaka

So can you play it with 8 friends where you allocate them to certain characters? That way you pass the control around if it's their character being played. Would that work?

border

Is that why Quantic Dream's games flopped as well? Oh no they actually didn't.

I'd say that the value proposition on these QTE/Choose-Your-Own-Adventure games has been driven down a good deal since Quantic Dream's heyday. The novelty factor has worn off a bit, and there are prolific competitors regularly undercutting these developers with cheaper games while simultaneously utilizing more popular IPs. Even though Beyond was a holiday release and Heavy Rain was early spring, Beyond sold only 1/3 of what Heavy Rain did. In the time since those games were released you also have the rise of YouTube and Twitch -- both of which are pretty damaging to games this highly cinematic and narrative driven.

I can see myself playing through it once, then just watching any interesting sideplots on Twitch/YouTube. I'm not going to replay the entire game just for the sake of making so moderately different choices.....especially if we are talking about a 10-15 hour game. Teen slasher movies are mercifully short, and I'm already a little doubtful if I want to spend more than a dozen hours in a work of fiction full of horror tropes and stock characters.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
had some reward zone coupons and discounts codes so got the game for $5 but starting to think still to much...

Certinty

Nice trailers, got me even more hyped for this.

As long as the story is good this will definitely be among my top games of the year, absolutely love games like this.

ShyMel

The GameStop trailer is amazing! I'm so pumped for this game, even though it comes out the day college starts back for me.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'd say that the value proposition on these QTE/Choose-Your-Own-Adventure games has been driven down a good deal since Quantic Dream's heyday. The novelty factor has worn off a bit, and there are prolific competitors regularly undercutting these developers with cheaper games while simultaneously utilizing more popular IPs. Even though Beyond was a holiday release and Heavy Rain was early spring, Beyond sold only 1/3 of what Heavy Rain did. In the time since those games were released you also have the rise of YouTube and Twitch -- both of which are pretty damaging to games this highly cinematic and narrative driven.

Heavy Rain sold 3 million in 3 years, while Beond 2 Souls sold 1 million in 4 months, how is that a good comparison?

Nobody is "undercutting" those types of games, episodic games are not the same thing at all, retail still makes up the vast majority of video game sales, that is a huge advantage to those types of games. You're making up a false reality & using that reality as evidence, & then making up factors as a reason for that decline when you have no evidence that those factors effect sales, in fact, Twitch & Youtube usually increase sales, there have been cases of extremely old games appearing in the top seller charts when Pewdiepie plays them.

I'm not too thrilled if I can't load up a different save to redo my choices. I mean if I end up having my favorite couple characters die in the first half I'm probably not going to care enough at that point to finish the game.

I think it'll all depend on how good the story is. Especially if they expect me to play it multiple times. 10-15 hours is enough of an investment for me let alone 20-30 to see it twice.

If anything I hope they have some feature similar to 999/VLR that lets me skip stuff in subsequent play throughs to speed things up if necessary.

With that said I'm still extremely excited to play it and it's really one of only 2 or 3 games I'm particularly excited about for the rest of the year.

border

Heavy Rain sold 3 million in 3 years, while Beond 2 Souls sold 1 million in 4 months, how is that a good comparison?

Nobody is "undercutting" those types of games, episodic games are not the same thing at all, retail still makes up the vast majority of video game sales, that is a huge advantage to those types of games. You're making up a false reality & using that reality as evidence, & then making up factors as a reason for that decline when you have no evidence that those factors effect sales

Heavy Rain was confirmed to be at 2 million after a year, and then bumped up to 3 million about 28 months after release. To my knowledge Beyond has had zero sales updates beyond that initial post-Christmas update, and did not crack the NPD during the month of its release or anytime thereafter.

I'm working with existing data here, so I'm not sure why you claim that I am "making up a false reality". It's not exactly controversial that singleplayer narrative-heavy games have trouble sustaining sales. What sort of sales performance are you expecting out of Until Dawn?

Alo0oy

Banned
Heavy Rain was confirmed to be at 2 million after a year, and then bumped up to 3 million about 28 months after release. To my knowledge Beyond has had zero sales updates beyond that initial post-Christmas update, and did not crack the NPD during the month of its release or anytime thereafter.

I'm working with existing data here, so I'm not sure why you claim that I am "making up a false reality". It's not exactly controversial that singleplayer narrative-heavy games have trouble sustaining sales. What sort of sales performance are you expecting out of Until Dawn?

You said the game will flop, do you know what a flop is? & don't use NPD, we've been through the NPD argument a million times, Driveclub sold 2 million despite debuting at 50k on NPD. Uncharted 3 sold 10+ million despite debuting at 700k on NPD, TLOU sold 8+ million despite debuting at 900k on NPD, you do realize that the vast majority of the Playstation userbase is outside of America, right?

America =/= world, America represents about 25 to 30% of the PS userbase.

Your premise is flawed, you're using your own biases as evidence. Something you don't like or feel like wouldn't sell doesn't mean that it actually wouldn't sell.

Elitist1945

Beyond sold 1,000,000 copies within 2013, and since it launched in October, that means 1 million copies were sold in 3 months.

Top Bottom