• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

Karamsoul

Just started: super pumped.
2JEAexg.jpg
can't say much but games almost 40 gb.

How is it, Slasher? First impressions of the game? And when is the embargo up?

I personally can't wait for this game. I've broken my golden rule and pre-ordered, ughh, but i'm sure i'll be OK as everything i've seen appeals to me. Also, lame first post.

takoyaki

Maaaaan, I'm really dying to hear some impressions from anyone who has the game already. I'LL TAKE ANYTHING!

Here you go:

I love horror movies/games and I miss games with a fixed camera perspective, so I might not be 100% objective, but I really like the game so far. I've played around 2 hours after ignoring all trailers etc. and so far, Until Dawn reminds me of Heavy Rain/Obscure/Visual Novels(choices).

The game starts off pretty slow (after [Story Spoiler]
the flashback opening
) and takes its time to establish the characters during the tutorial episode(s), at least by horror movie standards. The graphics look great and the frame rate is pretty stable; most of the animation and voice acting is good, though there are some lines that feel off and I've seen a few over-acted animations so far that I'm pretty sure will be turned into gifs. The actors are well cast, the atmosphere/setting is terrific and the devs clearly watched a lot of old horror movies. People who are not accustomed to a fixed camera might find it annoying from time to time.

There's a motion control and a standard control option, I picked the latter. [Game-mechanic spoiler]
There are some fair QTEs, but sometimes you also have to aim or hold the controller still (even with the standard control option). The game also lets you know that sometimes, not doing/choosing anything can be the right thing to do. The game switches between playable characters even during one episode, you walk around, inspect stuff with x, pick it up with R2 and rotate it with the right analog stick. Similiar to the Order, but here it serves a purpose because you can find hidden clues. There's a list of possible clues to find and I must have missed some even though I played pretty slowly and was actively looking for them. The game tells you that finding more clues will give you a better chance of solving the mystery behind the killings.

One thing that took me by surprise was [Story/Game-mechanic spoiler]
Peter Stormare playing a psychoanalyst who shows up between "episodes" of the game and asks you questions about your (the player's) fears, anxieties and how you feel about people. It reminds me a lot of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and I really like that story-telling device. There’s also something off about him/the analyst setup and I can’t wait to see how this will play out

Right now, I'm not sure how I feel about the [Story/Game-mechanic spoiler]
totems you find throughout the game (collectibles like the coffee mugs in Alan Wake). They foreshadow a possible outcome of events and depending on their color, those flash-forwards are about the death of your character, a friend who's at risk, but also about good events that might occur.
I haven't seen enough of them play out to say if they will give away too much or not.

back of the box, there was no day one patch (so far?)

How scary is this game, for example I don't like really scary games like resident evil games but I did enjoy games like the last of us.

Demoskinos

I'm really torn on this game on one hand the promise of it seems really cool but I also am not entirely convinced they are going to execute on that promise.

Elitist1945

So come Tuesday I'll be livestreaming my playthrough. What would be the better website to stream to: Twitch, Hitbox, or YouTube? I'll be using OBS so any of the 3 work in terms of compatibility.

Here you go:

I love horror movies/games and I miss games with a fixed camera perspective, so I might not be 100% objective, but I really like the game so far. I've played around 2 hours after ignoring all trailers etc. and so far, Until Dawn reminds me of Heavy Rain/Obscure/Visual Novels(choices).

The game starts off pretty slow (after [Story Spoiler]
the flashback opening
) and takes its time to establish the characters during the tutorial episode(s), at least by horror movie standards. The graphics look great and the frame rate is pretty stable; most of the animation and voice acting is good, though there are some lines that feel off and I've seen a few over-acted animations so far that I'm pretty sure will be turned into gifs. The actors are well cast, the atmosphere/setting is terrific and the devs clearly watched a lot of old horror movies. Gamers not accustomed to a fixed camera might find it annoying from time to time.

There's a motion control and a standard control option, I picked the latter. [Game-mechanic spoiler]
There are some fair QTEs, but sometimes you also have to aim or hold the controller still (even with the standard control option). The game also lets you know that sometimes, not doing/choosing anything can be the right thing to do. The game switches between playable characters even during one episode, you walk around, inspect stuff with x, pick it up with R2 and rotate it with the right analog stick. Similiar to the Order, but here it serves a purpose because you can find hidden clues. There's a list of possible clues to find and I must have missed some even though I played pretty slowly and was actively looking for them. The game tells you that finding more clues will give you a better chance of solving the mystery behind the killings.

One thing that took me by surprise was [Story/Game-mechanic spoiler]
Peter Stormare playing a psychoanalyst who shows up between "episodes" of the game and asks you questions about your (the player's) fears, anxieties and how you feel about people. It reminds me a lot of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and I really like that story-telling device. There’s also something off about him/the analyst setup and I can’t wait to see how this will play out

Right now, I'm not sure how I feel about the [Story/Game-mechanic spoiler]
totems you find throughout the game (collectibles like the coffee mugs in Alan Wake). They foreshadow a possible outcome of events and depending on their color, those flash-forwards are about the death of your character, a friend who's at risk, but also about good events that might occur.
I haven't seen enough of them play out to say if they will give away too much or not.

back of the box, there was no day one patch (so far?)

Thanks for the impressions! They might just have pulled it off after all! It's sounding super promising.

UberTag

If this game reviews poorly next week, it's going to be due to the plethora of "person wanders alone through series of empty rooms/caves/corridors/dimly lit woods" while holding a light source aloft as they meander to the next QTE sequence or cutscene.

Because there is a LOT of these. And it's a shame because the game gets so many things right.

hbkdx12

Seen some German twitch streams of his earlier today. Looked good. Saw one part that was very reminiscent of heavy rain. Looking forward to trying this out even though it seems like jump scare central lol

Kolgar

Wow, game looks awesome. Just watched streams for an hour and I'm totally sold. Charter models and animations look nuts.

Those impressions are delicious <3
And I'm so pumped Move controls are in! It'd be lovely if someone could test it, PRETTY PLEASE WITH CHERRY ON TOP

Just a few little tid bits. There is a whole range of behind the scenes videos to unlock. Cast interviews, etc....really sells the idea of this movie like experience almost like bluray features. Also if you have a camera, the game will record you at key jump scenes. Those are fun to watch back.

dracula_x

Just a few little tid bits. There is a whole range of behind the scenes videos to unlock. Cast interviews, etc....really sells the idea of this movie like experience almost like bluray features. Also if you have a camera, the game will record you at key jump scenes. Those are fun to watch back.
Cool. Probably I should buy a camera for PS4 for that. Actually, this feature reminds me similar one in Burnout Paradise.

Nice! I like watching these as bonuses.

carlsojo

That's wild.. too bad I don't have a camera. Maybe I should get one for when the wife plays!

Just pre-ordered this and decided to hold off on Dishonored Definitive until a later date. I'm so excited for this game, it looks so promising! Tuesday can't come soon enough :D

Elitist1945

I wonder how good of an idea it would be to run Polls during decision making moments of the game in a Livestream. That'd probably get annoying after a while, I guess.

Another interesting thing. I can't see trophies. Not sure if it's cause its not live yet for launch or what and I've yet to see any trophies pop up while playing.

playstationlifestyle said:
"Strangely enough, it appears as though the game is learning your every move, be it through the decisions you’re making during gameplay, or during mysterious between-chapter psych evaluations being conducted by a lunatic. Do you dislike clowns? Don’t tell the game, because you’re going to encounter a clown mask. It made me rethink the way I answered anything the game was asking of me."

This game is doing really interesting stuff.

UberTag

That's an inventive feature. Very smart. Like the automatic cameras at key jump scare points in a haunted house.

UberTag

I wonder how good of an idea it would be to run Polls during decision making moments of the game in a Livestream. That'd probably get annoying after a while, I guess.
I love the idea of interactive audience participation livestreams for this game but there's a lot of situations where key decisions that impact the game are under a timer or reaction-based so there's not much that can be done about those.

But any decision where there's no urgency to decide... yeah, that approach would work fine.

Did the devs say everyone can survive? If so holy fuck, I have no idea how I could avoid some of the things I've experienced in this first playthrough.

GSR

This game's been peripherally on my radar, but hearing impressions and seeing more trailers has notched up the interest quite a bit. Seems like a Heavy Rain geared towards horror rather than crime fiction, and honestly, that sounds pretty great to me. Looking forward to the reviews.

Replicant

Did the devs say everyone can survive? If so holy fuck, I have no idea how I could avoid some of the things I've experienced in this first playthrough.

Isn't there a
Supernatural angle to this? A Butterfly effect or some sort? Maybe you can't avoid bad ending on your first play through until certain elements kick in and the protagonists learn about it themselves. Then on subsequent 'realities', they learn to be better.

This game's been peripherally on my radar, but hearing impressions and seeing more trailers has notched up the interest quite a bit. Seems like a Heavy Rain geared towards horror rather than crime fiction, and honestly, that sounds pretty great to me. Looking forward to the reviews.

I'm expecting mainly 7's and 8's.

Top Bottom