• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

Brofield

Honestly, I don't expect much in terms of gameplay. I went into TellTale's Jurassic Park solely for the story and enjoyed myself, and that's what I plan to do here. I just want something that'll make me shit my pants like P.T., and so far these reviews are promising. I'll pick this up soon as I can.

This sounds more like a party game ("what should I choose, guys?") than a shit-your-pants game like PT or Amnesia.

Nothing wrong with that, though. I'll definitely check this out when it drops in price.

Riptwo

I did the full restart. It actually runs better..not perfect like you said but way better. Originally it really looked like garbage! Lol

Haha. Shows what I know! I tried restarting over and over to fix the audio crackling in a later chapter, but it didn't fix a thing. I'm actually surprised that a console restart would aid performance!

jjonez18

Watching Netogir stream this on Live from Playstation and I gotta say, it is pretty engrossing. Especially with a good commentator/reactor and how he gets chat involved by letting us choose the outcomes just adds to the whole experience. Some legit twists, turns, and freaky stuff in this game.

I doubt the scores will matter much in terms of sales. Sony has just not advertised this game well. I bet most people you ask will have not heard of the game. It's a shame, as the reviews have shown it is a good game. Hopefully with the generally positive reviews, Sony will start some sort of ad campaign, at least in North America (I saw an ad from England on YouTube).
does sony have exclusive marketing with mgs5? maybe that's why?

"bomb" is always referring to sales, or at least it should.
didn't I specify that it did not bomb in terms of reviews?

does sony have exclusive marketing with mgs5? maybe that's why?

didn't I specify that it did not bomb in terms of reviews?

I haven't seen MGS V stuff either. I think Sony just didn't know what to do with Until Dawn. They did a decently sized marketing campaign with The Order: 1886. Maybe Sony was cautious with Until Dawn. Like I said, maybe with Until Dawn getting good reviews, the might do a quick marketing campaign to advertise it. I hope, despite the game being months old by that time, they do a Halloween marketing campaign for the game. Lot's of people would be in the mood to play a game like Until Dawn around Halloween. I think it could lead to a boost in sales.

I haven't seen MGS V stuff either. I think Sony just didn't know what to do with Until Dawn. They did a decently sized marketing campaign with The Order: 1886. Maybe Sony was cautious with Until Dawn. Like I said, maybe with Until Dawn getting good reviews, the might do a quick marketing campaign to advertise it. I hope, despite the game being months old by that time, they do a Halloween marketing campaign for the game. Lot's of people would be in the mood to play a game like Until Dawn around Halloween. I think it could lead to a boost in sales.
that would be cool, but i doubt it, since we have nathan drake's collection releasing in october. unless, has sony ever marketed two big releases around the same time?

UrbanRats

After watching the full GameTrailers play through stream, this game looks pretty cool, and the best attempt so far at an Heavy Rain style game, in my opinion.
Unfortunately, it's coming out at too high of a price, and in a bad spot (one week away from MGSV).

Should've been in July at 39€.

Going by their positive reactions, I can see the Giant Bomb review being either a 4 or 5 (essentially 80 and 100 on the Metacritic scale). Brad seems genuinely enthused at how the choices seem to matter, unlike in other games where things always seem to lead to the same ultimate result. For instance, in the
Sam alone in the cabin level
he thought it always ended up with
her getting captured by the killer and lamented that it seemed as if, like I mentioned, the game would always lead to the same result. Moments later, he escape the killer and, I think at that moment, the game, which he had already liked up to that point, became an ever better game in his eyes
. He talked a good deal about the game during the latest Bombcast. Jason also seems to be a fan (he is a huge slasher movie fan). Drew seems hyped because he is a massive Heavy Rain fan. When he heard Brad say it was like Heavy Rain in terms of gameplay, he perked up.

Going by their positive reactions, I can see the Giant Bomb review being either a 4 or 5 (essentially 80 and 100 on the Metacritic scale). Brad seems genuinely enthused at how the choices seem to matter, unlike in other games where things always seem to lead to the same ultimate result. For instance, in the
her getting captured by the killer and lamented that it seemed as if, like I mentioned, the game would always lead to the same result. Moments later, he escape the killer and, I think at that moment, the game, which he had already liked up to that point, became an ever better game in his eyes
. He talked a good deal about the game during the latest Bombcast. Jason also seems to be a fan (he is a huge slasher movie fan). Drew seems hyped because he is a massive Heavy Rain fan. When he heard Brad say it was like Heavy Rain in terms of gameplay, he perked up.

Mind blown at that spoiler!

UK has to wait until tomorrow to play this, and now my pre-order is saying that it won't arrive until Saturday. But I'm delivering to my work address... FFS Amazon what do you expect me to do during the weekend now? Go OUTSIDE? Fuck that. You go outside.

nib95

Banned

Do we know when the GB review will drop? Can't say I agree with their reviews very often, but I'd be interested to see what they thought either way.

spekkeh

Banned
UK has to wait until tomorrow to play this, and now my pre-order is saying that it won't arrive until Saturday. But I'm delivering to my work address... FFS Amazon what do you expect me to do during the weekend now? Go OUTSIDE? Fuck that. You go outside.

Interesting, on the mainland we got it yesterday. Could this be why EG also hasn't posted their review yet?

(though Edge did have review code)

I saw an ad for it in the cinema. So they are doing some advertisement. Hope to be able to get it soon.

driver116

Saw an ad on Film4 as it's frightfest season.

They advertised it during the Champion's League qualifier game in the UK last night, too. It strikes me that they were probably a little bit wary after The Order: 1886, but once the good reviews started flow, decided to go ahead with the marketing push.

In the UK they're advertising it as part of a £299.99 PS4 bundle. It's a decent advert, too. I have to imagine this game is probably going to exceed expectations to be honest, and it may have some legs through Hallowe'en with the right kind of push, too.

Loudninja

They advertised it during the Champion's League qualifier game in the UK last night, too. It strikes me that they were probably a little bit wary after The Order: 1886, but once the good reviews started flow, decided to go ahead with the marketing push.

In the UK they're advertising it as part of a £299.99 PS4 bundle. It's a decent advert, too. I have to imagine this game is probably going to exceed expectations to be honest, and it may have some legs through Hallowe'en with the right kind of push, too.
People seen ads before release.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm either getting this or Gears next week, I wonder which one would go better with a 50+ hr playthrough of MGSV.

Finished my first run last night.

This game will definitely go down as one of those 'not on the radar at all' games that has turned out to be one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in years.

Absolutely fantastic. Great work, Supermassive!

Ploid 3.0

People dying in this game gives me a horrible feeling that games and movies don't usually give me when people die. They did well in doing something very right.

I'm either getting this or Gears next week, I wonder which one would go better with a 50+ hr playthrough of MGSV.

I personally like to supplement gameplay-intensive games(MGS) with games that you can just sit back and enjoy in the same way you would a TV show, like Life Is Strange and seemingly this

sjay1994

I'm genuinely surprised the user metacritic for this game is in the green. Typically games like these are blasted for trying to be movies, especially when they ask for full retail price.

But I've seen two playthroughs of this game, and its great. The story is really well told.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm genuinely surprised the user metacritic for this game is in the green. Typically games like these are blasted for trying to be movies, especially when they ask for full retail price.

But I've seen two playthroughs of this game, and its great. The story is really well told.

It is a movie. The developers haven't been coy about that at all.

Top Bottom