• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US-S.Korea performs joint bombing drill over Korean Peninsula as a SOF

They conducted a mock bombing drill, which simulated a surgical strike of key enemy facilities, over the Pilsung Range in the eastern province of Gangwon.
In a statement, US Pacific Command said the flyover was a "direct response to North Korea's intermediate range ballistic missile launch."
"North Korea's actions are a threat to our allies, partners and homeland, and their destabilizing actions will be met accordingly," said Gen. Terrence O'Shaughnessy, commander of Pacific Air Forces.
North Korea labeled the flyover "a rash act," according to KCNA, the country's state news agency.
It said that the "wild military acts of the enemies" were as a result of the county's recent ballistic missile launch.

At a news conference Thursday, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Hua Chunying seemed to be referring to the largely simulated drills when she said the situation in the Korean Peninsula "is not like a movie script or computer game."
"It is real. It exists," she said. "It is an important and serious issue that directly affects people's safety in the South and North. And it also affects the peace of the whole region. We hope every side makes rational judgments and wise decisions in a responsible manner for the people and regional peace and stability. "

Stay safe Korea/Japan/Guam GAF!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/31/politics/us-bombers-korean-peninsula/index.html

Joezie

Standard procedure in the great dick waving stand off.

Though the presence of the 35's is a notable addition. Usually it's just the Bone's or BUFF's on their own.

brian577

Banned
At a news conference Thursday, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Hua Chunying seemed to be referring to the largely simulated drills when she said the situation in the Korean Peninsula "is not like a movie script or computer game."
"It is real. It exists," she said. "It is an important and serious issue that directly affects people's safety in the South and North. And it also affects the peace of the whole region. We hope every side makes rational judgments and wise decisions in a responsible manner for the people and regional peace and stability. "

Piss off China

MogCakes

4thrz.gif

brian577

Banned
They’re not wrong. NK is obviously in the wrong but the US and SK are happily throwing oil into the fire with these drills training a decapitation strike on NK.

Bomber flights are pretty standard though.

While NK keeps shooting missiles off and threatening to nuke Guam. What do you expect them to do? Ignore it. China doesn't give a shit, they never have. They will continue to prop NK up until it does something stupid and then everyone will be blaming them.

If they really want to be a world leader then they need to step the fuck up and stop blaming the victims.

Xando

While NK keeps shooting missiles off and threatening to nuke Guam. What do you expect them to do? Ignore it. China doesn't give a shit, they never have. They will continue to prop NK up until it does something stupid and then everyone will be blaming them.

If they really want to be a world leader then they need to step the fuck up and stop blaming the victims.
How about not worsening the situation with unnecessary drills and provoking NK?

China has no interest in war on the korean peninsula that’s why they call out all sides. Just like they called out NK a few days ago.

China is pursuing its interest by trying to keep the status quo. Just like the US is pursuing its interests by provoking NK with these trained invasions

brian577

Banned
How about not worsening the situation with unnecessary drills and provoking NK?

China has no interest in war on the korean peninsula that’s why they call out all sides. Just like they called out NK a few days ago.

China is pursuing its interest by trying to keep the status quo. Just like the US is pursuing its interests by provoking NK with these trained invasions

If NK succeeds in miniaturizing a warhead US nukes stationed on the peninsula is going to start looking very tempting to Seoul. How's China going to like that?

They're not wrong. NK is obviously in the wrong but the US and SK are happily throwing oil into the fire with these drills training a decapitation strike on NK.

Bomber flights are pretty standard though.

They train for everything, every single year regardless of what they currently claim.

NK throws a fit every single year when the exercise approaches and then you get dumbasses claiming it is an escalation on the US's part by doing stuff they had planned a year ahead and been doing for years.

Xando

If NK succeeds in miniaturizing a warhead US nukes stationed on the peninsula is going to start looking very tempting to Seoul. How's China going to like that?
I don’t know where this myth comes from that NK is suddenly gonna invade the south just because it has nukes that can reach the US.

SK is still under the nuclear umbrella of the US.
If SK gets attacked that’s it for NK.

Dopus

Banned

North Korea already have the technology to do that.

Beyond the rhetoric, the purpose of their nuclear weapons program is one of deterrence. They don't have expansionist policies. They feel threatend by the United States and after what happened in Iraq and Libya, they're pretty determined to solidify their bargaining position. Regarding China, they have zero desire to see a regional war, but beyond that they certainly don't want an American presence on their doorstep in North Korea itself.

Do you actually believe that by having nuclear weapons they're going to attack South Korea and thereby ensure the destruction of their state?

To try and contextualize how completely beyond recovery this scenario is:

The response we made to North Korea launching a simulated explosive and nearly hitting the land of an ally, was to drop enormous amounts of actual explosives on the land of an ally, and this is completely rational and expected.

brian577

Banned

The response we made to North Korea launching a simulated explosive and nearly hitting the land of an ally, was to drop enormous amounts of actual explosives on the land of an ally, and this is completely rational and expected.

NK does simulated bombing too, stop talking nonsense.

Wamb0wneD

I'll never understand hard on's for anything regarding military. Especially not in a thread about North Korea and the whole fucked situation, and how the orange turd handles all of it. But I'm german so what do I know...Jack off the the millions of taxpayer money wasted if that makes you happy I guess.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'll never understand hard on's for anything regarding Military. Especially not in a thread about North Korea and the whole fucked situation, and how the orange turd handles all of it. But I'm german so what do I know...Jack off the the millions of taxpayer money wasted if that makes you happy I guess.

I like military hardware, and I like responses besides "strong words" to firing missiles at other nations.

And hey, if a NK missile flying overhead and sending a missile alert warning to my phone at 6am was considered "dick waving" by some where and not as something to worry about, then a show of force surely can't be that bad.

JZA

Couldn't the US/ROK disable North Korea with cyberwarfare and save some money? Or am I naive to assume that North Korea has technology sufficiently advanced to even be hacked in the first place?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I mean would you want the US and SK to drop these explosives on North Korean land instead?

The US and Soviet Union also technically bombed themselves in the 70s as a show of force.

kmfdmpig

Only sense means closing your eyes all while propping up North Korea to help them continue doing what they're doing? They're being self serving, not acting with sense.
Exactly. China has supported and aided NK for decades. They have very much been part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Wamb0wneD

I like military hardware, and I like responses besides "strong words" to firing missiles at other nations.

And hey, if a NK missile flying overhead and sending a missile alert warning to my phone at 6am was considered "dick waving" by some where and not as something to worry about, then a show of force surely can't be that bad.

I was one of the guys telling these "just dick waving lul" people to think about what they are saying for a second.

These "responses" are essentially just a huge waste of money though. Either Kim Jong-Fuckface feels threatened by it and things escalate, which nobody really wants, or he doesn't give a fuck.
Because no matter how people looked at the missile flying over Japan, this simulation is pure dickwaving and leads nowhere. Not sure what's there to like tbh.

And well..liking military hardware is foreign to me. No matter what it is or how it was developed and built, at the end it was made to kill people as efficiently as possible.
World would be a better place if that shit didn't exist.

Joezie

Couldn't the US/ROK disable North Korea with cyberwarfare and save some money? Or am I naive to assume that North Korea has technology sufficiently advanced to even be hacked in the first place?

North Korea's networks are largely isolated from the rest of the world. While they aren't quite up to say the levels of USA/Russia/Israel, Cyber capability is actually a field in which NK displays a rather large degree of competence in.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I was one of the guys telling these "just dick waving lul" people to think about what they are saying for a second.

These "responses" are essentially just a huge waste of money though. Either Kim Jong-Fuckface feels threatened by it and things escalate, which nobody really wants, or he doesn't give a fuck.
Because no matter how people looked at the missile flying over Japan, this simulation is pure dickwaving and leads nowhere. Not sure what's there to like tbh.

And well..liking military hardware is foreign to me. No matter what it is or how it was developed and built, at the end it was made to kill people as efficiently as possible.
World would be a better place if that shit wouldn't exist.

In a vacuum I just enjoy technology, military hardware being a part of that, but I guess it can come across as sociopathic to "enjoy" machines bombing nothing in a war-could-break-out scenario.

I dunno about the last part though. The world would be a better place if these things didn't exist, provided no one in the world was ever doing anything bad.

dubc35

They train for everything, every single year regardless of what they currently claim.

NK throws a fit every single year when the exercise approaches and then you get dumbasses claiming it is an escalation on the US's part by doing stuff they had planned a year ahead and been doing for years.
Yep, timing isn't the greatest but it was planned.

turmoil

Banned

Anyone knows that the US's capabilities are enough to easily destroy the regime. NK is the one that needs to show off.

This is just escalation, I wonder what kind of response they expect from NK doing this other than them speeding up their tests.

World would be a better place if that shit didn't exist.

It's an exercise with a foreign military force, all the practice is very important.

Yep, timing isn't the greatest but it was planned.

It only seems that way because NK acts up specifically around the time of exercises... every single time.

Don't have an issue with this, the provocation was met with a suitable response and you got to simulate a bombing plan. you also had the ROK and US military working together so it shows united.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait hold up: everybody needs to agree that China just 'many sides!'d the North Korea situation and that is absolutely unacceptable. Anything less is billshit.

Wamb0wneD

In a vacuum I just enjoy technology, military hardware being a part of that, but I guess it can come across as sociopathic to "enjoy" machines bombing nothing in a war-could-break-out scenario.

I dunno about the last part though. The world would be a better place if these things didn't exist, provided no one in the world was ever doing anything bad.

Yeah your post and it's tone came across just a bit bewildering considering the context of the thread and what happened before that. But maybe that's just me, at least it seems noone else took it that way.

I mean there surely is a difference between someone doing something bad or an industry of gigantic proportions that thrives on unstable governments, destruction and death, no?
There are a lot of people who hate the NRA but love all things military for some reason. I really don't get it. Maybe it's tied to patriotism?

It's an exercise with a foreign military force, all the practice is very important.

I guess the timing is just really really bad.

Sadly that's not enough. China has to be more than a voice of reason right now.

This is true. Practices makes perfect. If the military didn't take the time to participate in exercises, all this fancy equipment would be useless. Dry runs and live fire exercises are extremely important for readiness. In combat, nothing goes right half the time and everything goes to shit. That's when all this practices pays off. It's all about muscle memory so you can still function in a stressful environment. So no, this isn't dick waving or a waste of munitions. It's much needed training in order to keep an effective readiness posture.

I guess the timing is just really really bad.

As I said earlier in the thread,
timing is irrelevant, NK starts acting up every single time in the run up to major US-SK exercises, etc.

This will die off like it always does (unless they accidentally hit something) and next year the exact crap will start again a little over a month before next year's exercise starts

NK does this and tries to claim it as retaliation escalation by the US-SK.

Top Bottom