• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US-S.Korea performs joint bombing drill over Korean Peninsula as a SOF

AJLma

Wait hold up: everybody needs to agree that China just 'many sides!'d the North Korea situation and that is absolutely unacceptable. Anything less is billshit.

Yea uhhh probably best not to apply the logic of the bullshit going on stateside to actual war drills and scenarios. These are real countries with military might, not just disgruntled and confused civilians being emotionally manipulated by their local news media. Korea is still in Asia, so whatever fuckery the US and NK get into,no asian country is going to be looking forward to the fallout, and there are others who would look to maximize. You guys seem to be in some fantasy world where every country on the planet is truly a US ally who's scared to death of offending us and ready to kamikaze into our "enemies".

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
How does regional instability help China? It doesn't. Not especially one literally on its doorstep

Then they should stop causing it in the South China Sea and sovereign Bhutanese territory.

In reality, they care enough about flexing their muscle than causing a little instability. What bothers them is only when other countries cause it.

Weetrick

4thrz.gif

I shouldn't be laughing but I did.

You're probably right. "Special Operations Forces" was just what came up when I searched for the acronym.
OP probably should have written out the words.

No room in the title, I hit the character cap. It is Show Of Force. I really wanted "in response to missile firing over Japan" but that fit even less :)

China should be more pissed at NK. They flew a missile over another country's airspace.

Trump pissed China off by spouting off more trade war stuff the last couple weeks, they aren't in the mood to back the USA on anything, but don't want war near them either.

Dopus

Banned
Gaf has a defense force for everything.

Criticising the United States isn't a defense of North Korea.

Truth be told, there's nothing more lazy than to say that "China just 'many sides!'d" when discussing the issue of North Korea and their military posturing, and ending that sentence with it being "absolutely unacceptable" is pretty ridiculous.

What we're talking about here is the potential for a war that could very well spiral into something far worse if diplomacy and de-escalation aren't put at the forefront. Obviously, these have limitations, but in order to understand what could provoke a response from North Korea you actually have to take a step back and actually attempt to understand it.

Regarding China, right now all we have is 'China needs to be doing more', 'this is their responsibilty' and so on and so on. On the surface there isn't anything wrong with this. I mean, we saw the loophole that China used in the last UN sanctions with the coal exports - but the issue here is this. After Kim Jong-il had died, the relationship between the two nations took a shift in direction. China has never wanted North Korea to aquire nuclear weapons, but at the same time they've also wanted the regime to be stable. With Kim Jong-un as leader, both of these have fallen by the wayside and this is concerning for all parties, including China. If China were to adopt harsher measures and slowly cut ties to an already strained relationship then that works in opposition to regional stability in the Korean peninsula. They don't want a war, they don't want a unstable and irrational North Korea and with the emegence of their nuclear weapons you can either push for diplomacy or you opt for brashness and posturing. Doing the latter to a regime that is failing will either result in a dramatic shift in policy from North Korea or it will result in war. This isn't even considering a first-strike scenario from the United States which undoubtedly would lead to a regional war.

Top Bottom