• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Nyoro SF

Oh so that's what they do. I thought those three were mandatory because chapter 3 (I think that was the one lol) kind of pushes them on you. Ok, I'll keep that in mind, don't want to throw away free moves.

Also, is there any where where you can see how accurate your attacks/weapon will be? In battle its like 2 shots kill 7 shots total I think and its effectiveness but it'd be nice if there was some kind of indicator of "that enemy is a bit too far, you're gonna miss".

When entering aiming mode, you should see an orange circle around your crosshair; that's your spread chance. The bigger the circle, the more likely you are to miss.

The accuracy stat is on the weapon, you can see it when picking them in the barracks. Each unit also has a hidden "innate" accuracy that they don't show you that factors into the accuracy of a shot.
When the game fully calculates out the accuracy, it takes the final percentage and gives the shots those odds for a direct shot down the center.

-Horizon-

When entering aiming mode, you should see an orange circle around your crosshair; that's your spread chance. The bigger the circle, the more likely you are to miss.

The accuracy stat is on the weapon, you can see it when picking them in the barracks. Each unit also has a hidden "innate" accuracy that they don't show you that factors into the accuracy of a shot.
When the game fully calculates out the accuracy, it takes the final percentage and gives the shots those odds for a direct shot down the center.
OK I'll look into that when I start playing it again. I never really paid attention to that color indicator or the size of it lol

Nose Master

Lol. Chapter 9 is so simple.
Just had Alex(?) (dude what has night vision) camp behind a crate til the second turn. Stored some moves til the next, just had him stand behind it and dump for 7 turns and got an A. I think I missed some dialogue. Oh well~

Wagram

Just finished the main campaign. Loved it as much as I did the first time. Now onto the Platinum. This is a trophy that must be obtained!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Post chapter 7 the gameplay has changed completely. I'm doing basically every mission with a single scout. Sometimes with tank support or a sniper as well. It's disappointing to realise the game actively discourages using more than one unit via the ranking system. It feels like some kind of turn based fps rather than a strategy game now. On the other hand the setting, characters and story are continually impressive. It's a classic for sure but it's not really the strategy game I expected. It's pretty unique and enjoyable still don't get me wrong I am enjoying it constantly. The actual gameplay just turned out different from what I expected.

Baalzebup

Post chapter 7 the gameplay has changed completely. I'm doing basically every mission with a single scout. Sometimes with tank support or a sniper as well. It's disappointing to realise the game actively discourages using more than one unit via the ranking system. It feels like some kind of turn based fps rather than a strategy game now. On the other hand the setting, characters and story are continually impressive. It's a classic for sure but it's not really the strategy game I expected. It's pretty unique and enjoyable still don't get me wrong I am enjoying it constantly. The actual gameplay just turned out different from what I expected.

"Post chapter 7" covers quite a lot of ground, which includes some missions where scouts alone do jack and shit, even with a little support, but yes, scouts are often the key due to their overtly high movement rates and there is some truth to the "lol scouts" comments when people ask for advice on the game. However, they are not the answer to *every* problem in the game, so you do need to make use of the other units as well.

And on the non-scout subject, I've been noticing something that I have not realized before while playing the PS3 and PC versions, though I'm convinced this affects those versions as well: Female Shocktroopers have a slower rate of fire compared to their male counterparts. This is most telling when wielding the Ruhm due to the unique sound it makes, but it is there for all the weapons.

I just tested it out with a 30 bullet T-MAG, and the firing sequence for the ladies was at least 30-40% longer in comparison to that of the dudes, and this is being generous due to my inaccurate method of measuring. This makes the males superior at intercept fire, but on the occasions that you get to line up several enemies for a double kill shot, the slower rate of fire means less bullets wasted on the corpse as they still have full hit detection at 0 hp. Weird.

muteki

Up to chapter 5 now. Game really opens up once you get access to HQ and can build your squad, upgrade and level up. I was really analyzing all the personal traits of each potential team member before it got too daunting and just said screw it for now. Everyone leveling up the same is the best thing ever, hate having to focus on individual units in other games.

I've done the first skirmish ~5 times or so and have it down to a science, really good for experimenting and trying things that the early missions don't really give you unless you save and reload. Can beat it now really with just a scout and shock trooper and one turn. Realistically could probably just use one scout now that I think about it.

With all that EXP and money I bought all the equipment upgrades in the store and have my scouts at Lvl 5, shock troopers at 4, and the rest at 2 or 3. I bought the first thing the reporter offered up to me but wasn't sure what it actually unlocked, and the elderly guy at the graveyard offered me a new order for tons of exp I didn't have. Is it worthwhile to hold back EXP for him?

But really having fun, can't wait to get back. Love how the tank upgrades make minor visual changes to the tank itself.

mamoui

With all that EXP and money I bought all the equipment upgrades in the store and have my scouts at Lvl 5, shock troopers at 4, and the rest at 2 or 3. I bought the first thing the reporter offered up to me but wasn't sure what it actually unlocked, and the elderly guy at the graveyard offered me a new order for tons of exp I didn't have. Is it worthwhile to hold back EXP for him?

But really having fun, can't wait to get back. Love how the tank upgrades make minor visual changes to the tank itself.

The things you buy to the reporter are extra episodes (there is a blue marker in the boom mode). They give extra back story to the main cast (I think the first one is about largo). They usually include a battle (the 50 000dct does not, save your cash). You also unlock potentials for those character, so its worth it.

About the old guy, some order are very useful, some less. I would say it's worth it. It's not so expensive compared to what it will cost you to upgrade soon anyway.

N30RYU

When does the difficulty of this game peaks?? I had understood that at some point the game became quite difficult and the ppl gives up.

kromeo

When does the difficulty of this game peaks?? I had understood that at some point the game became quite difficult and the ppl gives up.

I forget what mission no it is but the one where you have to blow up the train was where I remember the difficulty ramping up

Nyoro SF

The orders you can receive from the "Aged Gentleman" are:

Retreat (Lets you save a unit from a potentially bad situation where they will get downed and die)
Medic Request (Pulls a downed unit off the field, not bad if you're really far from a downed unit)
Healing Request (If a unit is in a pinch and needs more health, does have uses)
Sniper Support (Attacks a unit with set 100 damage, extremely situational, it's kind of impossible to balance this so I can see why they removed it form later games)
Heal All (Heals 80HP to all units, extremely situational... not very useful. However it can heal your tank, which may be useful in a pinch if you've blown your treads out)
Awaken Potential (Makes potentials far more likely to be activated, broken if you can apply it properly, excluding its broken uses it's very useful if you plan on using one unit many times that has good potentials)
Recon Request (Makes all enemy units on the field visible. Extremely useful for certain maps, but only learnable in NG+... by that time you probably don't need it anymore lol)
Mortar Support (200 damage to enemies in range. Like Sniper Support, very situational with very few uses. Does vsPers damage so no sandbags will be destroyed)
Awaken All (See Awaken Potential. A little more situational since it costs more but can be useful in certain challenge maps)
Artillery Support (Just like Sniper and Mortar Support, very very situational (due to its cost). Deals 100 damage to all units on the field)

So while most of the Orders he teaches has use, the Support orders can be safely passed without worry.

And on the non-scout subject, I've been noticing something that I have not realized before while playing the PS3 and PC versions, though I'm convinced this affects those versions as well: Female Shocktroopers have a slower rate of fire compared to their male counterparts. This is most telling when wielding the Ruhm due to the unique sound it makes, but it is there for all the weapons.

I just tested it out with a 30 bullet T-MAG, and the firing sequence for the ladies was at least 30-40% longer in comparison to that of the dudes, and this is being generous due to my inaccurate method of measuring. This makes the males superior at intercept fire, but on the occasions that you get to line up several enemies for a double kill shot, the slower rate of fire means less bullets wasted on the corpse as they still have full hit detection at 0 hp. Weird.

That is such an unusual thing to discover. If I have time this weekend I'll take a look at it. There's a lot of hidden stuff in this game... you can tell it underwent a long development cycle.

Baalzebup

That is such an unusual thing to discover. If I have time this weekend I'll take a look at it. There's a lot of hidden stuff in this game... you can tell it underwent a long development cycle.

I think I only noticed it now because I've mostly defaulted the Ruhm to Rosie, Lynn or Jane, but this time around, I have passed it around to others as well. The sound it makes is very distinct and noticeably more snappy and loud compared to most of the gunfire sounds. The difference between the women and men shooting it is very telling, both sound-wise and how intense the steam of bullets spitting from it is.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
"Post chapter 7" covers quite a lot of ground, which includes some missions where scouts alone do jack and shit, even with a little support, but yes, scouts are often the key due to their overtly high movement rates and there is some truth to the "lol scouts" comments when people ask for advice on the game. However, they are not the answer to *every* problem in the game, so you do need to make use of the other units as well.

Good point! I should've said chapters 7-13ish. After that it's changed a lot again but I hadn't got that far yet. I just finished chapter 15 and this ending section of the game has been my favourite so far. Feels like things are finally coming together well

Nose Master

Man, I really slopped my way through C13. I had Largo and a sniper just run up on the base camp like idiots and capture it as a last ditch effort. And I got an A for it. That ranking system, though.

Is there something you have to do to unlock more personal reports in Castlefront? I haven't gotten any since
WHOOOO SPRING BREAK /flash

Baalzebup

Man, I really slopped my way through C13. I had Largo and a sniper just run up on the base camp like idiots and capture it as a last ditch effort. And I got an A for it. That ranking system, though.

Is there something you have to do to unlock more personal reports in Castlefront? I haven't gotten any since
WHOOOO SPRING BREAK /flash

You'll get a bunch of em after a chapter or two.

Nose Master

You'll get a bunch of em after a chapter or two.

This Rosie one sucks. Heavy Ace's with evasion are really stupid. Somehow missed the 15/20 despite the head being perfectly lined up, and the dude turned around so he evades and one shot counters everyone. Ugh.

sora87

God damnit chapter 11.

2776340-6508971450-Big-B.gif

Nose Master

Chapter 14 is pretty dumb if you've done it before.
I just parked both tanks on those corners and claimed the base when I had a full action bar on the next turn. :V

jennetics

I can't really find the answer anywhere so I'll try asking here.

Are there trophies for VC that require A ranks for story missions? Is there better than an A ranking? I know you can't redo story missions (outside of reloading and trying again) so hopefully A ranks aren't necessary.

Baalzebup

Are there trophies for VC that require A ranks for story missions? Is there better than an A ranking? I know you can't redo story missions (outside of reloading and trying again) so hopefully A ranks aren't necessary.

Eh, you need A ranks from all story missions AND all Skirmishes on all difficulties, including Hard which is only unlocked after completing the game once (not EX-Hard thought). You also need to play through the story twice anyhow as some other trophies demand playing through the NG+ and getting those A ranks is far easier on NG+. You can also replay the story missions as many times as you like in NG+, unlike in NG (discounting the very last mission, which will always finish the game no matter how many NG+ cycles you go through edit: ... or maybe that was only if you activate the final cutscene after the battle, I've honestly forgotten and I'm not in NG+ yet in the PS4 playthrough).

And no, there is no higher ranking than A-rank (it equals S rank from the Japanese version).

Ponn

Banned

I want to say there is but i'm not sure about the trophies part. There isn't a better ranking then A. As far as redoing story missions for the A ranking you are better off just doing that on a new game plus playthrough. Less frustrating and you will want to play through the game again anyways.

jennetics

Eh, you need A ranks from all story missions AND all Skirmishes on all difficulties, including Hard which is only unlocked after completing the game once (not EX-Hard thought). You also need to play through the story twice anyhow as some other trophies demand playing through the NG+ and getting those A ranks is far easier on NG+. You can also replay the story missions as many times as you like in NG+, unlike in NG (discounting the very last mission, which will always finish the game no matter how many NG+ cycles you go through edit: ... or maybe that was only if you activate the final cutscene after the battle, I've honestly forgotten and I'm not in NG+ yet in the PS4 playthrough).

And no, there is no higher ranking than A-rank (it equals S rank from the Japanese version).

Yikes, that sounds like some work. Time to hunker down and get this done lol Thanks for the info :)

I want to say there is but i'm not sure about the trophies part. There isn't a better ranking then A. As far as redoing story missions for the A ranking you are better off just doing that on a new game plus playthrough. Less frustrating and you will want to play through the game again anyways.

Gotcha, thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Nose Master

Is there a point to the Edy DLC? The map itself was pretty decent, but goodness that story is poop from a butt. The voice acting certainly didn't help, but maaaan.

I think there are aces in the Edy Skirmishes, do you have to beat the main Edy DLC to access them?

Alucrid

Banned

Last mission won't finish the game.

Baalzebup

Is there a point to the Edy DLC? The map itself was pretty decent, but goodness that story is poop from a butt. The voice acting certainly didn't help, but maaaan.

I think there are aces in the Edy Skirmishes, do you have to beat the main Edy DLC to access them?

The point was to make an episode focused on the (Japanese)fan favourites. The fact that the combat scenario is decent it almost like a side bonus. The Edy detachment challenges are a completely separate affair and can be accessed any time you have access to the skirmishes.

Nose Master

The point was to make an episode focused on the (Japanese)fan favourites. The fact that the combat scenario is decent it almost like a side bonus. The Edy detachment challenges are a completely separate affair and can be accessed any time you have access to the skirmishes.

Ah. Also this Lancer one is pret-ty rough.

Edit: Fuck this. I don't care about this sniper rifle. It could give out handjobs and cotton candy and it wouldn't be worth this mission. Twelve tanks that one shot literally anything besides Lancers from across the map? Okay. Escalated pretty quickly from "find dudes in the grass" to "lol all the tanks and also they get 20 action points cause fuck you". I'll just wait until one-shot lances like, apparently, every "guide" I've seen on YT thus far. AKA never do this garbage mission. :mad:

Yikes, that sounds like some work. Time to hunker down and get this done lol Thanks for the info :)

Gotcha, thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

That being said, saving during missions helps if you're trying to shoot for an A rank. It's certainly possible to get all A ranks during your first run of the game, but if you want to enjoy it you could take your time in your first playthrough and look up strategies during your second.

Wagram

The Platinum for this isn't that bad really. NG+ is a breeze and all the A ranks besides the hard skirmishes aren't difficult. Just time consuming. Probably a 35-45 hour Platinum, but it must be done!

My copy finally arrived. The "steelbook" is gorgeous. One of the nicest I have ever had. I am really impressed Sega. Don't have time to play tonight, but this weekend will be grand!

brainslug

A little off topic, but I'm currently playin VC2 on Vita, and Jesus what a boring grind fest it is. And the plot and characters are so bad compared to the first game. I don't know if I'll even want to finish the game, but playing it has reminded me once again how great VC1 is. And it's only been a year since I played the PC release, but I already want to get this PS4 release so bad! One of my favorite games ever.

Finished the game (for the first time) yesterday, and honestly, it was good, but not great. The ranking system is completely fucked up, but unless you want to grind skirmishes for EXP you have to do, what it wants you to do.

The game would be 10 times better if there were more ways to get a good rank besides number of turns, or at least if the missions were more diverse.

IpsoFacto

There are a couple of missions that are rough for first time players. Mainly because you have figure some stuff out on your own.

Chapter 8 (particularly Part I) is hard, since you have only two characters with one being severly limited in movement. That alone is a tremendous handicap.

Chapter 9 also seems unreasonably hard until you figure out the trick.

Chapter 13 and 14 are the toughest, period. Even with maxed out characters.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game (for the first time) yesterday, and honestly, it was good, but not great. The ranking system is completely fucked up, but unless you want to grind skirmishes for EXP you have to do, what it wants you to do.

The game would be 10 times better if there were more ways to get a good rank besides number of turns, or at least if the missions were more diverse.

I also finished it last night. The story, setting, graphics, characters are all great but I was surprised that I found the actually game and maps to be pretty hit and miss. I agree the ranking system doesn't really work. The last few missions are by far the best for me though and it felt like the game finally came together.

Overall it's a classic game but I kind of wish they had gone in and rebalanced things. It's not just that Scouts end up overpowered but on many maps other classes just can't move far enough to be useful. Anyway I did really enjoy it, I think if the ranking system took things other than just turns into account things would be really improved though.

So is VC2 really that bad? I could play it on my Vita but people seem pretty down on it.

El-Suave

I imported two steelbooks for me and a friend and now my nephew also wants one, too. If I order now at Amazon will I still get one? The description leads me to believe I won't so I might as well get our Europa edition - but then again the first run surely won't be sold out already?

This game is dirt cheap, how is the remaster? I loved the game on ps3 but never got round to finishing it or owning any dlc and as I'm in the mood for picking up remasters I might get this too.

How the heck do you get a normal box copy for this game? I didn't know I was getting a steelbook. If it's just a first print thing then I'm going to sell my current steel copy and rebuy it.

Baalzebup

This game is dirt cheap, how is the remaster? I loved the game on ps3 but never got round to finishing it or owning any dlc and as I'm in the mood for picking up remasters I might get this too.

As far as remasters go, pretty much perfect. Runs at 1080p60 with zero technical issues of any kind and with improved IQ compared to the PS3 days. The pre-rendered cutscenes don't look as good in comparison to the rest of the game as they are as they were in the PS3 version, but are still purdy.

There isn't anything exactly new content-wise, beside the DLC.
How the heck do you get a normal box copy for this game? I didn't know I was getting a steelbook. If it's just a first print thing then I'm going to sell my current steel copy and rebuy it.

You either import from outside of NA or wait until the first print stuff is gone.

Owensboro

Made it up to Chapter 11 yesterday, man I forgot just how much I really love this game. I somehow managed to, again, have horrible problems with Mission 7 thanks to Largo missing 2 of his three opening shots, my tank missing a shot, and my sniper (forget who I had in) also missing 2 of 3 shots. It didn't end up nearly as bad as my first go at this game forever ago, but god it brought back bad memories.

I had completely forgotten about the dynamic between Largo, Rosie, and Isara. (Chapter 10-11 spoilers-->)
Rosie not being able to get over Isara being a Darcsen is just spectacularly sad, but at the same time I really love her “I’m not big enough to change that quickly statement”. Also, that scene when Isara tries to give her and Largo a doll is just so sad. Damn it Rosie, I know what’s about to happen and you’re killing me

This time through the game I’ve been leveling every class up equally and while using every class effectively is a lot more fun, it’s sure a lot slower. Having to haul a Sniper or Lancer all the way across the map is kind of a drag, especially when the enemy decides it needs to move all its troops in circles for no reason on its turns. I’m getting dangerously close to just rushing scouts up the ladder again, especially since I’m finally start to get more accurate rifles again. PS. That overpowered machine gun from Selvaria’s DLC mission is a heck of a lot of fun to use, even if it is broken as hell.

I’ve always thought of the ranking system as more of a challenge mode than anything and never bothered with them on my first play through. There is something fun about trying to figure out ways to beat a mission as quickly as possible. It’s a real bummer the ranks are tied to needed rewards (money and XP) though. I'd almost prefer a reward (gun or something) for rank and XP tied just to enemies and missions beaten.

muteki

Up through chapter 5. I haven't had troubles my first attempts at story missions, though I definitely see things getting more difficult. I do make lots of mistakes though in unit placement, and other dumb mistakes. So far it hasn't caused a game over yet.

I feel like I need to get a hang of all the potentials, grouping people together that like each other, special attacks, etc. soon because the game is hinting at them now but I haven't really put a lot of thought into it. At least I can see that next mission is a desert mission and I should pull out all the people with sand allergies or whatever it is.

IT CAME! IT FINALLY CAME!

Photo%20on%205-27-16%20at%204.59%20PM.jpg

along with it as I got home I saw another package waiting for me, got this neat modded dualshock 4 with xbone thumbsticks. hopefully it works well.

Photo%20on%205-27-16%20at%205.00%20PM.jpg

Top Bottom