• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Revolution |OT| Azure Arbitrators

I wonder, which was the worse "Bad Bet Localization" bomba of 2017, This or Akiba's Beat?

Like I'm a guy who's all for more proactive localizations that get announced well before Japanese release as opposed to after Japanese release or barely a few days before - but then things like this and Akiba's come along where the localizers announce a title for localization without actually vetting the game, and find themselves obliged to localize a Famitsu 20/40 bomba.

Nyoro SF

Indeed, I was shocked to see the price fall so quickly. Especially since other bad games (some much worse than this one) managed to hold their price for longer. The only explanation I can think of is that Sega over-ordered on stock, or maybe they made a regular order and people still weren't interested enough.

The Valkyria name still has brand power, but they really need to invest properly into it with a good vision. Maybe they should have given the spinoff to Platinum Games to develop and called it Valkyria Automata. :)

Man, it's going to be so fucking cruel if that VC3 remake rumor is true and this cost us localization of VC3 AGAIN.

But hopefully they were wise when they realized this was a critical and commercial bomba in Japan and did like Sega Japan did by slashing the localization budget at every corner to mitigate the loss.

And you know what, this could have been a decent game, at worst maybe just "average" if that first demo was strictly behind closed doors per industry standards and the budget wasn't slashed so hard. Whenever someone asks why Press Exclusive demos are a thing, I point them no further than This Game and what happened to it.

Oreiller

But hopefully they were wise when they realized this was a critical and commercial bomba in Japan and did like Sega Japan did by slashing the localization budget at every corner to mitigate the loss.

Doubt it, they ported the game on Xbox One for the West. Don't know what they were thinking about there.

SephLuis

I wonder, which was the worse "Bad Bet Localization" bomba of 2017, This or Akiba's Beat?

As someone who reviewed both games, Akiba's Beat is much, much worse than Valkyria Revolution.

Revolution has sometimes where it's unconventional battle system works. Akiba's Beat is an extremely poor carbon copy of the Tales of series combat.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd probably give in with the price at this point, but sadly, I don't think it's the launch edition with the pin & CD, which would make the purchase way more tempting, not to mention I've just got way too much coming in Sept. that this would be in the backlog & will probably go even lower.

If anything, I might give in at $10 just because sometimes you need to play a bad game in order to appreciate when games do something right.

As someone who reviewed both games, Akiba's Beat is much, much worse than Valkyria Revolution.

Revolution has sometimes where it's unconventional battle system works. Akiba's Beat is an extremely poor carbon copy of the Tales of series combat.

Well I mean in terms of sales expectations vs. money wasted on localization before it was clear that someone made a huge mistake.

The way I heard it, XSEED went all in on budgeting Akiba's Beat as their single most expensive localization ever because of the success of Akiba's Trip before the verdict was out on the game in Japan, and when it bombed critically and commercially in Japan they were stuck with a bad investment.

Likewise, Valkyria Revolution was announced for localization with Dual Audio and an Xbox One port under basically the same circumstances as Akiba's Beat. And then it got brutalized by even bloody Famitsu and basically failed to chart.

(BTW, anyone have sales records for Valkyria Remastered in comparison to those of Azure Rev?)

Well I mean in terms of sales expectations vs. money wasted on localization before it was clear that someone made a huge mistake.

The way I heard it, XSEED went all in on budgeting Akiba's Beat as their single most expensive localization ever because of the success of Akiba's Trip before the verdict was out on the game in Japan, and when it bombed critically and commercially in Japan they were stuck with a bad investment.

Likewise, Valkyria Revolution was announced for localization with Dual Audio and an Xbox One port under basically the same circumstances as Akiba's Beat. And then it got brutalized by even bloody Famitsu and basically failed to chart.

(BTW, anyone have sales records for Valkyria Remastered in comparison to those of Azure Rev?)

those will be interesting Numbers

Olengie

Didn't think the price drop for this game would be so bad. I regret buying this Day 1. ><

I still want a Chronicles 4. :T

Sillution

So silly question. I picked this up for $15 dollars at Best Buy last week but haven't opened it yet. Persona 5 is on sale this week there... Is this game worth keeping for $15 or should I just return it back and put that towards Persona?

cwistofu

So silly question. I picked this up for $15 dollars at Best Buy last week but haven't opened it yet. Persona 5 is on sale this week there... Is this game worth keeping for $15 or should I just return it back and put that towards Persona?
Get persona

Dunkley

hgGsLEG.jpg

Jesus christ the Valkyrur must have backs made out of the steel.

This is painful to look at.

Avallon

This game was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. I really wish more people played it, because it was actually fun.

I'm working on the platinum trophy, even though it's a bit of a grind.

I seem to be the only one with anything positive to say about the game, though.

This game was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. I really wish more people played it, because it was actually fun.

I'm working on the platinum trophy, even though it's a bit of a grind.

I seem to be the only one with anything positive to say about the game, though.

This makes me happy that someone has something positive to say. I haven't played yet as I'm moving which means the vicious cycle of packing up the gameroom starts.

Top Bottom