• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni- comes to Steam on June 20th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxhygNSoCE

The game really benefits from being at 60fps. It looks so much better compared to the Vita version.

EDIT: Via Gematsu

During launch week, Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni will be available at a 10 percent-off discount its original price of $29.99, with an additional 25 percent-off for those who already own Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus on Steam purchasing the $39.99 ”Combined Edition," which includes all of the available downloadable content. Conversely, if you purchase Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni, you will get 50 percent-off discount to purchase Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus.

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/valkyrie-drive-bhikkhuni-pc-launches-june-20#3lyU7slXYDG51iuk.99

Steam page is up

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550080/VALKYRIE_DRIVE_BHIKKHUNI/

And courtesy of Marvelous, a 4k screenshot from the game

8a5GVao.png

Also relevant to the topic, Takaki revealed some stuff his company is working on

During the interview, Takaki mentioned that other than Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura, the studio has another title for Switch in development that makes use of the system’s functionalities. This other title will be a packaged release, unlike Shinobi Refle, which is an digital-only release, and will also make use of Switch’s HD rumble functionality.

Additionally, Honey∞Parade Games is working on two PlayStation 4 titles. The first title may be able to be released this season. The second title is relatively big and is planned for the next term.

Other than those, several small things and mid-scale titles are also moving forward, which Takaki says should all be present next term. There’s a traditional smartphone title, and about two new and existing TV anime he’s working on. Takaki wants to announce all of his upcoming titles collectively around the summer, and is currently in preparation.
http://gematsu.com/2017/05/honey-pa...wo-ps4-titles-development#bDAACxyzyIlV7K66.99

The fact that I can access the Steam page at all despite the game being unrated (aka banned) here in Australia is a good sign. Note that the same can't be said of, say, Hotline Miami 2. I guess if that doesn't change before release, I can snatch it up and give one big middle finger to the censors.

T-G: VALKYRIE DRIVE: Bhikkhuni's plot centers around Liberators and their supporters, Extars. What was the impetus behind giving VALKYRIE DRIVE this kind of hierarchy?

Takaki: The SENRAN KAGURA games focus on battle and communication, with each team containing five characters on average, and in more recent games we've added many more characters with even livelier personalities, but that has also meant that the focus on each character becomes shorter and less-personal. I (and also other SENRAN KAGURA fans too) have gradually come to feel sorry about this aspect.

So when developing VALKYRIE DRIVE, I decided to create a new way of thinking when creating the story drama by describing more about the relationships and the minds of the characters. In Japan, it is a very popular trope to have a cast of ‘Top' and ‘Bottom' for a pair of characters and the thought of the character in the ‘bottom' role taking initiative in the battle scenes was a very exciting proposition.

There was one idea that never came to fruition but sadly I couldn't make it happen, but I wanted to make it possible that each pairing of characters, rather than the defaults, would each have a unique weapon mode, but due to their being seven characters, that would mean many unique and possible combinations to contend with outside of the defaults.

http://www.tech-gaming.com/qa-with-takaki/

That does explain a lot.

How obnoxious is the fanservice in this? I hear it's a decent musou game, but I'm not into the fanservice at all. I couldn't get into Senran Kagura for the same reason; fanservice that gets in the way of the gameplay. Can it be skipped at least?

Tohsaka

How obnoxious is the fanservice in this? I hear it's a decent musou game, but I'm not into the fanservice at all. I couldn't get into Senran Kagura for the same reason; fanservice that gets in the way of the gameplay. Can it be skipped at least?

You're not going to like this game if Senran Kagura's fanservice bothered you, it's pretty much the same stuff.

Same level as SK and it's less of a musou.

n051de

Couldn't finish the Vita version because of the frame-rate so I'll probably pick this up pretty soon.

If you played any of the Senran Kaguras is on par with Shinovi Versus and slightly more than the 3DS entries.

That said, most of the fanservice is done on completely skippable cutscenes. The only thing that can't be skipped are the scenes that show when you destroy the clothes of your opponents but you have to actually put on effort on that, so is possible to go through the game without triggering them.

Mesoian

If skinship is an actual problem for you, you should just skip this game.

Chorazin

Do do you feel about clicking on each girl's "zones" while she protests for a while but then gives in and you click more? And by a while I mean A WHILE.

MUnited83

For you.
has native DS4 support, neato

Also seemingly the game has some kind of VR support in the plans or something? Might be just remains of the engine but there is openVR and Oculus DLLs on the folders of the game.

Pejo

Gold Member
Out of all the things they were taking from SK, I was hoping the story structure wouldn't be one of them, but it is. I hate the fixed characters in a fixed order type playlist.

Ah well, gameplay is pretty good this time around, though I don't like how touchy the lock-on mechanic is, and it seems to heavily favor doing the pursue and charge dash moves for anything tougher than a basic enemy.

Out of all the things they were taking from SK, I was hoping the story structure wouldn't be one of them, but it is. I hate the fixed characters in a fixed order type playlist.

Ah well, gameplay is pretty good this time around, though I don't like how touchy the lock-on mechanic is, and it seems to heavily favor doing the pursue and charge dash moves for anything tougher than a basic enemy.

They did take some lessons from SK and now you always play the winning side on fights, avoiding the "I wasn't trying" that plagued SV and EV.

As for the lock on, is matter of getting used to it.

I actually played through most of this on a PSTV because squinting at my Vita playing it was pretty awful. Upgrading the resolution from PSTV to 4K seems like it would be amazing. I might have to pick this up again, ugh.

Was this game actually good though?

It was actually very fun, though it inherits a lot of repetitiveness from the musou genre. You actually have a lot of combos you can use but you can also hit X to clear the game, just more slowly.

I actually played through most of this on a PSTV because squinting at my Vita playing it was pretty awful. Upgrading the resolution from PSTV to 4K seems like it would be amazing. I might have to pick this up again, ugh.

It was actually very fun, though it inherits a lot of repetitiveness from the musou genre. You actually have a lot of combos you can use but you can also hit X to clear the game, just more slowly.

You had a 4k screen right? I'm struggling to get the game to downsampled aside from setting my desktop resolution to 4k :/

Momentary

Banned
So... The port is pretty well done. I'm able to play the game a +60fps which gives a very smooth experience and the game is capable of running around 5K @100-144FPS on my hardware. The game's AA option smooths the game up so much that it's really not necessary to run the game at 5K. Plus above 4K there are some graphical issues that start to pop up.

The only thing that I don't like about this game is that there isn't an option to prevent clothes from ripping off like in the Senran Kagura series and is way more lewd than I expected it to be. Also, the game just doesn't do cinematic cuts and animation as well as Estival Versus does during special attacks. Combat in Estival Versus just seemed more satisfying to me. Although, combat mechanics in this game are a bit more fleshed out which allows you to do some nice chains. With that said I would consider this more of a brawler than a musou experience.

Yeah, Bhikkhuni has an approach closer to the hack and slash genre than to the Musou take the Versus series has. Personally I found Bhikkhuni to be much more satisfying but then again, I don't like Musou games so I'm biased to begin with.

Top Bottom