• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve rep: No Steam Dev Days this year, not likely next year either

@tomgvalve will there be Steam Dev Days this year?

Response: Definitely not in 2017 and not very likely for 2018. What sort of things would you want to hear about at any future Valve events or talks?
Source: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...ays_this_year_not_likely_next_year_either.php
https://twitter.com/tomgvalve/status/912152188419416064

Which is interesting because...
"Although we're not going to treat Dev Days this year as the place or the time to make big product announcements related to the content that we have in development at Valve for virtual reality, I do think that once it becomes time to do that next year, nobody in this room is going to be disappointed," said Coomer.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-3/valve-upcoming-games
https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/786256424208916481

I know there's still time... But if Artifact and the knuckles controller is all we'll have seen from Valve by the 9th-12th of October, I'm pretty damn disappointed. Steam Dev Days would've likely fallen on the 10th anniversary of the Orange Box's release too.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Very unfortunate, but not entirely unheard of. Valve skipped 2015 entirely and had a heavy focus on VR-centric content in 2016 due to the Vive.

Still, not a good look considering the bad press they've had this year, from the Half Life 3 news to the negative reception of Artifact. Not to mention the high profile staff departures and raw talent they've bled out over the past few years and increasing number of reports of questionable workplace issues. I'm still personally waiting for the client overhaul that was slated for summer, which has seemingly completely vanished.

Can someone explain what dev days are and why I should be disappointed?

Basically Valve's own GDC where they interact with developers and show off new tech (Steam Machines in 2014, OpenVR in 2016) and it was implied we'd be seeing some of those three VR games that Valve is developing this year, which makes me think their VR experiments have failed.

Mikey Jr.

Basically Valve's own GDC where they interact with developers and show off new tech (Steam Machines in 2014, OpenVR in 2016) and it was implied we'd be seeing some of those three VR games that Valve is developing this year, which makes me think their VR experiments have failed.

Ohh, ok.

Thought it was valve showcasing other devs or something.

So Valve essentially has nothing to show this year, and probably not next year either.

Shocking.

He only said they would make announcements this year, not at this year's SDD. Valve announcing games at SDD would detract from that conference as it's not a consumer oriented event.

Burger

It’s strange that a company like Valve, with so much money embark on ambitious projects like Steam Machines, Steam OS, Steam Link, Steam Controller and sort of leave them in v0.1 and you never really hear about them again.

Steam Controller has received amazing software support from Valve but that should be v2 hardware by now. Steam Link is 30 megabit HD limited range video. That should be version 2 hardware by now.

Literally couldn't even count to a third conference.

giphy.gif

I have this bad feeling that Valve is just going to fade away and we will one day hear Steam was sold to Vivendi.

Par Score

mpKZg.png

I mean come oooon.

This isn't even about announcements, although they were promised, it's about Valve seemingly stepping back further from public life.

I really enjoyed Steam Dev Days last year. Mostly hanging out with other Steam Devs and drinking good coffee and eating good food. The talks were interesting but not worth the flight.

collige

Banned
This tells me that they're either busy working on content with nothing new to say about R&D or that something is seriously wrong. Not great news either way

This tells me that they're either busy working on content with nothing new to say about R&D or that something is seriously wrong. Not great news either way

They also skipped 2015. There was one in Jan 2014 and Oct 2016. It was expected they would skip this year. If they have nothing to show and talk about now then that's that.

Honestly this isn't big news, some are overreacting.

daninthemix

It’s strange that a company like Valve, with so much money embark on ambitious projects like Steam Machines, Steam OS, Steam Link, Steam Controller and sort of leave them in v0.1 and you never really hear about them again.

Steam Controller has received amazing software support from Valve but that should be v2 hardware by now. Steam Link is 30 megabit HD limited range video. That should be version 2 hardware by now.

I partly agree - in that a new version of Steam Link would be welcome, but the existing product is completely fantastic, stable and reliable - my Nvidia Shield goes unused compared to this thing, even though its limited to 1080p.

And the controller led us to Steam's controller support, which we're all using now for Dual Shock support.

So yeah, Valve aren't actually sitting on their hands.

Steam Link V2 is kind of an App. Every Samsung TV can download the Steam Link SmartApp.

But GAF told me they're ready to announce those 3 massive VR projects any day now. They're totally still making games that aren't aimed at whales. Believe.

TimFL

Still waiting for an official Source 2 SDK. AFAIK it was scheduled for late 2015 (or at the very least "news on Source 2" was).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But GAF told me they're ready to announce those 3 massive VR projects any day now. They're totally still making games that aren't aimed at whales. Believe.

Steam Dev Days is, as the name suggests, a collection of various information sessions and discussion panels geared towards Steamworks partners. It is not and has never been a platform for Valve to talk about upcoming games.

Zia

Expect more of this going forward.

It’s a vicious cycle of Valve becoming somehow less communicative, putting less consumer-facing effort into everything they do because they don’t have to, people becoming more vocal and Valve just going silent. See: Artifact Twitter account.

JaseC

Expect more of this going forward.

It's a vicious cycle of Valve becoming somehow less communicative, putting less consumer-facing effort into everything they do because they don't have to, people becoming more vocal and Valve just going silent. See: Artifact Twitter account.

Keep in mind that SDD skipped 2015, too. Really, there's nothing to infer from this news other than "Valve feels the Steam platform hasn't evolved enough since the last SDD to justify committing to another event."

I think plans for that have been silently canned.

https://twitter.com/BadMetaphor/status/849033677472358401

There'll almost certainly be a Source 2 SDK, but I doubt it'll arrive ahead of the first "proper" Source 2 game as I don't think Valve has any intention of wading further into engine licensing than what has already been said. Basically, the option of releasing a Source 2-powered mod or game as a commercial product will be there for those who want to do so, but Valve won't try to push the engine as an alternative to, say, Unity or UE.

mpKZg.png

I mean come oooon.

This isn't even about announcements, although they were promised, it's about Valve seemingly stepping back further from public life.

The thought of Valve slowly becoming their own little corporate hermit kingdom with a weird inscrutable culture all its own is discouraging.

Zia

Keep in mind that SDD skipped 2015, too. Really, there's nothing to infer from this news other than "Valve feels the Steam platform hasn't evolved enough since the last SDD to justify committing to another event."

I’m aware of that, it’s just discouraging they’re already likely writing next year’s event off given the long overdue Steam update and controller revamp, as well as the next evolution of SteamVR which I think most expected this holiday season. Not to mention data they’ll have collected with the transition to Steam Direct. They should have plenty to talk about...

JaseC

I'm aware of that, it's just discouraging they're already likely writing next year's event off given the long overdue Steam update and controller revamp, as well as the next evolution of SteamVR which I think most expected this holiday season. Not to mention data they'll have collected with the transition to Steam Direct. They should have plenty to talk about...

I don't think the upcoming client revamp is going to represent much in the way of change from a third-party partner perspective as there's been nothing about it on the Steamworks forum despite the beta presumably not being far off (Valve said at the beginning of the year it'd "probably" kick off in Summer), but, yeah, I'm sure quite a bit could be said about how user engagement with the Steam Controller, Steam Link and Vive has informed the design processes of their respective revisions* and the effect Direct has had on the store.

* Steam Link 2.0 hasn't been confirmed.

Top Bottom