• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's voice actor: HL3 not in dev for several reasons; insufficient Mo-Cap tech.

KaYotiX

Banned
Pretty sure valve just doesn't care anymore about half life.

I know I've moved on and I loved HL2 when it first hit PC.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Valve is, for all the jokes about Valve Time, actually very efficient. After F-STOP was canned in favour of a chronological Portal sequel with Chell and, uh, portals, the Portal 2 as we know it was content complete in just two years, and the team size maxed out at around 80 people.

Worse of all is that Valve Time applies almost always. Although I'm not sure if they have applied with recent TF2 and Dota 2 updates.

HL3 will be released after Rapture :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Worse of all is that Valve Time applies almost always. Although I'm not sure if they have applied with recent TF2 and Dota 2 updates.

HL3 will be released after Rapture :(

Oh, sure. I didn't mean to suggest that efficiency makes up for the delays that creative changes necessitate. Valve is very good at working towards a common goal -- it's having one in sight that won't significantly change that's the issue. ;)

Probably too busy making low risk high return products like TF2 items, Dota 2 items, the upcoming CSGO items as well as adding new features to Steam.

Valve is, for all the jokes about Valve Time, actually very efficient. After F-STOP was canned in favour of a chronological Portal sequel with Chell and, uh, portals, the Portal 2 as we know it was content complete in just two years (December 2008 -> December 2010), and the team size maxed out at around 80 people.

Portal 2 was created by an 80 man development team? This really blew my mind, that game has fantastic production values and lots of content. Wow.

Anyway, didn't a recent leak show that 35 or so people are working on HL3; or am I remembering that wrong?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, sure. I didn't mean to suggest that efficiency makes up for the delays that creative changes necessitate. Valve is very good at working towards a common goal -- it's having one in sight that won't significantly change that's the issue. ;)

Oh, of course! I just wanted to mention how Half Life 3's release will coincide with the Second Coming according to Valve's Wiki, right?

Portal 2 was created by an 80 man development team? This really blew my mind, that game has fantastic production values and lots of content. Wow.

Anyway, didn't a recent leak show that 35 or so people are working on HL3; or am I remembering that wrong?

About 40, yes. Maybe those 40 are the most productive of the entire studio!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, there were around 40 people in the HL3 JIRA group, but the common assumption is that since there were no sub-groups (L4D3 had several, for example), the project is still in the early stages.

I don't believe that they aren't working on HL3 at all. They might not be doing mo-cap at the moment, but there's a lot more to the game than that.

Maybe Valve are sick of these corridor cinematic qte pos that pass as good games these days.

Once the industry is cured of this affliction they will make us the game we deserve, not the game we want.

Sinfamy

Call me insane or oblivious to the facts, but I believe.
I keep believing, because it's real to me God dammit. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, but I truly believe HL3 is being worked on, as a full fledged game, and it's going to be massive, and beautiful. Ending the trilogy, it's a lot of work to do, I predict much time spent on Xen, and large scale worlds full of Combine armies, something not able to be done on Source Engine 1.

Skinpop

I don't mind this at all. I'm confident Valve will release HL3 when they feel they have something new and fresh that will blow our minds. HL is not the kind of game you develop and release just to progress the story, it's the kind of game that evolves gaming.

John apparently heard about this 2 years ago, so this seems like it's not really relevant now. Gabe has said "“Everyone who was working on Ricochet 2 continues to work on Ricochet 2.“ and other things about the game since then.

Termyte19

Neo Member
Valve makes millions of dollars on micro transactions now. They tried to make a single player story driven game(Portal 2) work with micro transactions and it didn't make them anything close to what DOta 2 and TF2 have. Why would they be remotely interested in a single player, story driven game like Half Life 3?

~Kinggi~

Banned
To hear its not even in development is ridiculous. Valve is gonna have some bad backlash if they choose to ignore it for another 5 years.

Valve makes millions of dollars on micro transactions now. They tried to make a single player story driven game(Portal 2) work with micro transactions and it didn't make them anything close to what DOta 2 and TF2 have. Why would they be remotely interested in a single player, story driven game like Half Life 3?

Because they're still awesome games? When you make dat Benjamin you can do whatever the fuck you want. They're not publicly traded, so they don't have to be focused on return maximization.

As others have said, its been leaked there is a significant team on the project. Mo-Cap interactivity is in all likelihood just a challenge that has contributed to the longer lead time. The depth of the Source 2 team perhaps indicates they've been also waiting on a tech revamp.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
He dun goofed
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/425089/voice-actor-misspoke-about-half-life-3-freeze/

"Sorry I gave the impression I know what's going on"

The voice actor who claimed that Half-Life 3 was no longer in development now claims he "misspoke" about the project.

John Patrick Lowrie, who voiced Odessa Cubbage in Half-Life 2 and is married to GlaDOS voice actress Ellen McLain, recently claimed that "as far as I know they are not developing HL3 now for several reasons".

It was suggested that Valve has suspended work on its follow-up to Half-Life 2: Episode 2 due to a technical hurdle it has yet to overcome in the field of motion capture.

Lowrie has since removed the comment on his personal blog, replacing it with an explanation on why he has reneged on his previous claim.

"My comments just seemed to cause a whole bunch of confusion and when I tried to minimize the confusion I misspoke and caused a whole bunch more confusion," he said.

The voice actor suggested he is not an authority on the subject.

"The most important thing to know about voice actors is that we're the last to know anything. We don't find out about a project until we get hired to do voices for it.

"What I was trying to say before (and failed) is that whatever Gabe Newell has to say about a project is the best info you're going to get. He owns the company and knows what's going on.

"Sorry that I gave the impression that I know what's going on. I really wasn't trying to and I really don't know."

Valve has not answered requests for comment sent by CVG.

The lack of concrete information regarding Half-Life 3 has led to ongoing rumour, speculation and misinformation. In July, a games blog claimed it had discovered the Half-Life 3 release date, though a spokesperson for Valve described the article as "bogus".

Hermii

Im going to start writing a trilogy of books, end the second book with a major cliffhanger and never get around to writing the third one. Then make a movie of said books and stop going after 2.

Yes Im salty.

Saty

He 'misspoke' when he specifically said he had a conversation with one of Valve's employees who told him mocap tech is one of the reasons?

He 'misspoke' when he specifically said he had a conversation with one of Valve's employees who told him mocap tech is one of the reasons?

Gabe-Newell-Teases-Half-Life-3.jpg
Gabe had a word with him.

Kule

At this point i'd seriously settle for Gabe to just come out and tell us how HL3 would have ended.
All the teasing in the portal games made everyone hopeful and yet nothings come from it so far.

nkarafo

Here's an idea... how about the character who speaks to you doesn't look at you 100% of the time but more like 80-90% of the time? One can speak at you while looking somewhere else from time to time. If one speaks at you for 2 minutes and stares at you 100% of that time it becomes annoying and awkward in real life and a bit creepy in video games. It looks robotic and fake when the NPC just head-tracks me wherever i go as if i'm going to steal stuff from his bedroom.

HL3 waiting for some revolutionary mo-cap advancement to commence development would be the 2nd worst reason for this game not being made right now. The first being "They don't feel like making it."

Both unacceptable. You don't leave people hanging after Episode 2 for those reasons. Good thing it's obviously in development alongside Source 2.

Arkanius

Maybe Valve are sick of these corridor cinematic qte pos that pass as good games these days.

Once the industry is cured of this affliction they will make us the game we deserve, not the game we want.

I actually believe this for some years.
How do you make a sequel to HL1 and HL2 that can be a success when their target segment hates those games nowadays?

It's hipster nowdays to say HL1 was bland as fuck and boring. I cry everytime I see this.

Top Bottom