• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details multiple devkits evolution of Orbis

Nothing new really, more confirmation.

http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-devkits-roadmaptypes/

Currently, there are 3 types of devkits:

1) R10 boards with special BIOS, running in generic PC’s

2) “Initial 1″ — Early devkit

model number: DVKT-KS000K
SCE-provided PC equipped with R10XX board
Runs Orbis OS
Available July 2012

3) SoC Based Devkit: early version of the ORBIS hardware

Available January 2013

Time to look inside of each devkit:

R10 Board (with special BIOS) assemble in a Generic PC

Requires Windows 7 64 bit edition
Recommend
Sandy Bridge (Intel) or Bulldozer (AMD)
Minimum 8 GB RAM (system memory)
650 Watt PSU
VS2010 SP1
DWM (Desktop Windows Manager) must be turned off
Application will use Windows services for everything except GPU interface
SCE will provide “Gnm”, a custom GPU interface

Do you remember the first Durango’s pictures? This is a very early devkit based on Windows.

DVKT-KS000K (“Initial 1″)

Runs Orbis OS
CPU: Bulldozer 8-core, 1.6 Ghz
Graphics Card: R10 with special BIOS
RAM: 8 GB (system memory)
BD Drive
HDD: 2.5 ” 160 GB
Network Controller
Custom South Bridge allows access to controller prototypes

3tayMoW.jpg

SoC Based Devkit

Available January 2013
CPU: 8-core Jaguar
GPU: Liverpool GPU
RAM: unified 8 GB for devkit (4 GB for the retail console)
Subsystem: HDD, Network Controller, BD Drive, Bluetooth Controller, WLAN and HDMI (up to 1980×1080@3D)
Analog Outputs: Audio, Composite Video
Connection to Host: USB 3.0 (targeting over 200 MB/s),
ORBIS Dualshock
Dual Camera

The last devkit is the closer one to the retail console. Expect a machine with these specs or similar to these ones. Obviously, Sony could introduce changes in this features, but don’t expect deep mods.

doesn't tell us much, just semi-confirms our expected specs.

only interesting thing is if thuways possible downgrades come to fruition.

Striek

Thought they were going to have a more detailed breakdown ala Durango, oh well.

Edit: I don't like the sound of dual cameras. No gimmicks next-gen please guys.

i-Lo

The part where you separated "Durango" confused me. Thanks for the rectification.

So it seems like 4GB (in all likelihood GDDR5) UMA is the final deal.

Thank you.

EDIT: Are they simulating 4GB GDDR5 with 8 GB GDDR5 in the dev kit because I assume those kits then will be very expensive, will they not?

Mario007

Pretty much confirms everything we know about the system, which is nice. I was hoping they'd give a nice run-through the whole chip as they did with Durago, though.

nib95

Banned
Not very detailed, and doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know.

Hoping that 8GB is GDDR5, which would pretty much confirm at least 4gb GDDR5 for final.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

*reads Thuway's post history*

Well, I guess if not upgrading to 8 GB in the retail console counts as a downgrade, but I'm not sure I'd categorize it that way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The part where you separated "Durango" confused me. Thanks for the rectification.

Thank you.

EDIT: Are they simulating 4GB GDDR5 with 8 GB GDDR5 in the dev kit because I assume those kits then will be very expensive, will they not?

Developers need more RAM than the final product because they have debug code and unoptimized games which eat up more RAM than their final product will.

If they don't have more RAM, they can't test effectively on the development kit.

Volotaire

Hmm if this is true its quite interesting, I was expecting about 6GB for the nextbox and 4GB for the Orbis, but it seems they might be more in parity than i thought.

EDIT: Oops completely misread thought this was about nextbox not Orbis Doh!

Elios83

Basically what we know but they confirm that Kotaku is legit this time and they were talking about a previous devkit.

Edit: They also say that the control system will be based on a depth camera + new controller.

Thank you.

Dev kits are always pricey; a larger quantity of memory is negligible to overall cost.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
*reads Thuway's post history*

Well, I guess if not upgrading to 8 GB in the retail console counts as a downgrade...

I think he was worried the kit that Kotaku was reporting on was the new January kit, and might indicate they weren't going to make it to 4GB. But looking at the vgleaks info, that kit was actually old, the Jan kit is targeting 4GB for the final box.

i-Lo

Developers need more RAM than the final product because they have debug code and unoptimized games which eat up more RAM than their final product will.

If they don't have more RAM, they can't test effectively on the development kit.

Oh I understand that much. I was just curious whether they are using the same type or were compensating using some other method, because how does one go about putting 8GB GDDR5 in a PC which does not use custom motherboard (or does it)?

slider

A few folk commented on Bulldozer (from the Kotaku article) so good to see that potentially cleared up. Nothing on the rumoured extra CUs though?

i-Lo

And remember fellow readers, it is 3.5GB not 4 (if the OS figures are true, given, iirc, proelite alluded to it not having a bloated one) is available for game development.

10k to buy one according to superdae

About the same price as the first PS3 devkit.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Thought they were going to have a more detailed breakdown ala Durango, oh well.

Edit: I don't like the sound of dual cameras. No gimmicks next-gen please guys.

I would not sweat a couple camera's. This is still going to be a all in 1 box and having a few cameras make sense. I wonder if 2 are for 3d pictures. People need to accept the idea all 3 systems are not only competing in console space but competing with apple tv, google tv and other set top boxes under the TV.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh I understand that much. I was just curious whether they are using the same type or were compensating using some other method, because how does one go about putting 8GB GDDR5 in a PC which does not use custom motherboard (or does it)?

That's a good question, but yeah, I'd assume a custom motherboard since devkits can be upwards of like $20K to buy.

Bleh, Move.
GDDR5 or not, give me clear answers.

How reliable are these leaks now?
In all likelihood GDDR5.

Considering multiple outlets are arriving at the same information, presumably not all from the same sources, they're "reliable." But nothing is confirmed until it's confirmed really.

thuway

If this is indicative of final silicon, than I assume Sony has reached its target. However, I am not holding my breath until the units ship. PS3's RSX was downclocked in a last minute change. Still 4 GB UMA all over my face. Let's just hope Sony can hit 192 GB/S like they were initially intending.

I want to hear more about the new Dualshock.

Top Bottom