• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

videocardz: Rumor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with 10GB memory

The problem is that the shift to GDDR5X resulted in a 12GB Titan card. Thus, the traditional "halve the RAM of the Titan" would result in a 6GB card... which is less than the 8GB 1080. So the two "easy" options were - 6GB GDDR5X (less vram = non starter), or 12GB regular GDDR5 (possible but still not ideal). 10GB with an... oddly shaped bus I guess is a third solution, also less than optimal.

Animator

I'll admit the scene itself is staged. I can render almost anything when it falls between a certain polygon limit. But once it reaches something like say, 8 million polygons then my card fails.

I also kinda expect that too because I'm not running a renderfarm.

Switch to redshift asap, you will thank me later. Iray is trash.

Considering how 1080 was £550-600ish, I'd be surprised if it's that cheap, especially considering they have no competition for now.

Yeah I would be a little surprised too, £700 on such a GPU is just about justifiable to me as a Titan X OC'd is almost as fast as a GTX 1070 SLI setup, and two 1070s would cost around £700-800. Maybe I'd stretch it to around £750 but not much more than that as spending that much on a GPU is a little crazy to me lol.

The most I've spent on a GPU is £280 with my GTX 970 which I bought almost 2 years ago, and I liking upgrading to a 2x or more faster GPU.
A 1080 Ti with Titan X performance is like 2-3x faster, oh man!

I might even sell my GTX 970 for £150 or so to bring the cost down.

Spaghetti

Still kicking ass with my 980, but I'm heavily looking at an upgrade this time next year.

Not going to have a 4K tv by then, but hopefully I'll be in downsample heaven with the 2080 or whatever it'll be.

This rumor still makes no sense many days after it was originally posted on Videocardz.

Why would Nvidia compete with themselves? They own the high end, and there's no reason to undercut their own New Titan X with no credible competitor to try and beat. That's what the Ti is typically reserved for, after all.

How exactly are they supposed to get to 10 GB of RAM? That's not a multiple of anything at all, unless they are gunning for a 320-bit memory bus on the Ti to fit in between the 256-bit bus on the 1080 and the 384-bit bus on the New Titan X. I guess that's the only sensical theory.

I'm assuming this thing will start at $999 to slot between the $599 1080 and the $1299 New Titan X. With no competition, it wouldn't make sense to displace their own 1080 in pricing and no one should expect that they will do this.

Either way, I'm not crying about my 1080. I'll wait until Volta before I upgrade again at this point.

Renekton

I doubt 1080 owners will lose sleep over this given the already smallish gap with Titan Xp

In fact 1080 let's you better hold off the purchasing impulse until Volta.

scoobs

I've told myself all along I'd wait for the 1080ti, but now I'm thinking I just hold out for Volta. Its really not that far off. Or I'll buy the 1080ti cuz I'm a weak, weak man.

SliChillax

This rumor still makes no sense many days after it was originally posted on Videocardz.

Why would Nvidia compete with themselves? They own the high end, and there's no reason to undercut their own New Titan X with no credible competitor to try and beat. That's what the Ti is typically reserved for, after all.
What do you mean? I really want to upgrade but the 1080 isn't a big upgrade for me but I also don't have enough money to buy a Titan so the 1080ti fills in the spot perfectly.

scoobs

What do you mean? I really want to upgrade but the 1080 isn't a big upgrade for me but I also don't have enough money to buy a Titan so the 1080ti fills in the spot perfectly.

If you don't have enough for a Titan, you likely won't have enough for a 1080ti. The 980ti was $650, the 1080ti will likely be $850-$950.

Trojan

How exactly are they supposed to get to 10 GB of RAM? That's not a multiple of anything at all, unless they are gunning for a 320-bit memory bus on the Ti to fit in between the 256-bit bus on the 1080 and the 384-bit bus on the New Titan X. I guess that's the only sensical theory.

I'm assuming this thing will start at $999 to slot between the $599 1080 and the $1299 New Titan X. With no competition, it wouldn't make sense to displace their own 1080 in pricing and no one should expect that they will do this.

Either way, I'm not crying about my 1080. I'll wait until Volta before I upgrade again at this point.

I have always thought the same thing and wasn't convinced they'd introduce a 1080ti. However, I think cannibalizing their own sales will still benefit them because
  1. People are aware of Nvidia's release structure and know this is the last high-end card of this architecture (and best value if they follow their own precedent) so it's a carrot on a stick after Titan X sticker shock

2. The Titan X Pascal holds a unique place as a workstation card for technology jobs and it's got more inelastic demand than mid-range gaming cards

Looking at this thread, there are a lot of responses from people who seem to have been waiting to buy this card because it's the last stop before Volta. Still seems weird but I'm sure Nvidia has done the math.

SliChillax

If you don't have enough for a Titan, you likely won't have enough for a 1080ti. The 980ti was $650, the 1080ti will likely be $850-$950.
It wont be 950. 850 is way lower than a Titan. Also the 1080ti might introduce a price drop for the 1080 so Nvidia can price it from 750-850 which is around how much the 980ti was.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

The rumor doesn't say when this would be releasing. If the Videocardz rumors of AMD's Vega releasing in Q1 2017 with 16 GB of HBM2 and some beefy processing power are true, then I imagine this card would be a response to that. Depending on how Vega turns out and how it is priced, I'd guess the 1080 (and 1070?) might get a price drop as well, which would leave more room for this chip to enter at a lower price.

1080Ti could launch at a higher price than 980Ti and then get a price drop to position it adequately when AMD launches high end Vega.

Next year, Nvidia can refresh the lineup by going with GDDR5X on 1060/1070 and discontinue the original lineup completely. Not sure if they can go with HBM2 on the next Titan X, but that would be a significant performance boost along yield cost efficiency enhancements due to perfecting the 16nm process they use.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
1080Ti could launch at a higher price than 980Ti and then get a price drop to position it adequately when AMD launches high end Vega.

Next year, Nvidia can refresh the lineup by going with GDDR5X on 1060/1070 and discontinue the original lineup completely. Not sure if they can go with HBM2 on the next Titan X, but that would be a significant performance boost along yield cost efficiency enhancements due to perfecting the 16nm process they use.

Well, memory bandwidth is only one piece of the proverbial puzzle. Just look at the Fury X, for instance.

Renekton

http://digiworthy.com/2016/12/18/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-for-980-ti-owners-first/

Targeted Spot Prizes To Drive Sentiment, Reward Behavior, And Grow Advocates

• Free game codes for users who report a confirmed bug or contribute useful feature enhancement requests
  • Free game codes to our most active Share and GeForce Forum users
  • Free game codes to users who rank most negative and most positive on our sentiment tools
  • 980 Ti users get first spot in line for 1080 Ti pre-orders, or “Step Up” offer

ghibli99

This is the card I eventually want to replace my 980 Ti FTW with, but I won't be there day one, even if my card gets me to the front of the line.

• 980 Ti users get first spot in line for 1080 Ti pre-orders, or “Step Up” offer
Only for reference models bought from nvidia's website I hope. They better not waste people's time on founders shit again.

Unless there's some insane price mistake on a 1080 someday within the next year or so, I'm probably just going to stick with my GTX 970 until the 11-series.

Top Bottom