• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viewtiful Joe: Boss battles suck

DrLazy

Rented the game. Like it a lot. Bit corny, but fun corny. Love the action, hate the bosses. Why can't I see them. A shark is going to bite me, yet I don't know what direction he's coming from. The camera needs to learn from SSBM. Unfair and frustrating. Otherwise, cool game.

Anyanka

The sound in the boss fights is just terrible. I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying before, during and after fights.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The game totally needed subtitles. Too bad they're only enabled when you're Silvia, in which the characters speak gibberish

Fire Leo rocks, I like fighitng against him. After you figure out how to hurt him, that is. Damn was it a bitch trying to beat him the first time without consulting a FAQ

Socreges

Banned
I sympathize with you. The bosses got frustrating at times. Generally a matter of playing them several times, and mastering the sequences and weaknesses. Not a method I particularly like, but at least they were really, really well designed.

Wario64 said:
Fire Leo rocks, I like fighitng against him. After you figure out how to hurt him, that is. Damn was it a bitch trying to beat him the first time without consulting a FAQ

which is probably which I haven't beaten the asshole. but back on topic

VJ boss battles ro><><or.

soft gamers -1

Ramirez

Heh,I tried beatin the Helicopter like twice and got frustrated with it,haven't touched the game since Christmas,lol...

Ninja Gaiden was a cake walk compared to what I played of VJ =\

ElyrionX

Ramirez said:
Heh,I tried beatin the Helicopter like twice and got frustrated with it,haven't touched the game since Christmas,lol...

Ninja Gaiden was a cake walk compared to what I played of VJ =\

Uhhhh no.......

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You just gotta know how to cause maximum damage to bosses. Once you figure it out, it's not all too difficult. Especially since the slow feature can pretty much save you in almost all situations. Like the helicoptor, wait until the baddies comes out of the helicoptor. Go near one of them and dodge its attacks, slow then launch the baddie to the helicoptor, as well as the other enemies. Helicoptor will go down in a few seconds :p

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
ElyrionX said:
Uhhhh no.......

Er... Yes. Ninja Gaiden is not hard. It's all about patterns and watching for the cues where the unbolckable attack will get you. I cleared it easily in 3 days. Viewtiful Joe on the other hand - much as I enjoyed it - was hard because the camera kept zooming out and cutting the action out of my sight. I got up to the boss compilation stage and simply gave up as it was so damn frustrating.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Meier said:
Never could beat Fire Leo :( Ninja Gaiden is easy as shit compared to Viewtiful JOE.

Yup. Fire Leo is easy once you figure out the pattern. The Shark guy is the fucker. Has an unblockable attack that would be easy to spot if:
A - the screen didn't do that weird rotate shite
B - The screen didn't zoom in and out to block you from seeing him

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Which unblockable attack? I got the shark boss pretty much down. In the beginning, jump over him as he pukes his BIZARF. Go into zoom, slow, hit punch repeatly until your VFX power runs out. Do this again and his power bar should be down signicantly. When he raises the water level and spews out those bombs, go near a bomb so that he eats it up. Hit the bomb, slow, and zoom + punch. After about 4 punches, run to the opposite direction and slow if needed to avoid his attack. Water level should go down, and he should start chomping like crazy again. Try to get him to chase you horizontally so that you can jump over him and mach speed to the ground quickly (to keep him chasing horizontally, making his moves predictable). When he gets tired, zoom + slow + punch. Rinse and repeat

I assume the unblockable attack is when he chomps all over the place, right? Yeah, that's probably the hardest part. But if you can make him so he chases you around horizontally, it can easily be avoided. If you have him going all over the place, it's a bit tougher to avoid

Hero

Viewtiful Joe is not for the meek.

And for the Shark guy, just lure him into his own bombs, slow+zoom+punch the bomb = big damage.

I really need to beat Ultra V-Rated sometime. Fire Leo is extremely cheap on UVR. You don't get skulls anymore to let you know if he's swinging up or down.

Ramirez

Uhhh No what Elyrion?

And Kids mode was so painfully boring I didn't even bother with it,lol...I mean I suck,but with like 10 hearts it was absolutely no challenge :p

Saurian

Yeah man I proper love off that game!!! Such a shame some people slate the game for their own lack of skill. There's a lot of things to think about during the setups but once you've got it down you can work insane stuff out on the go.

(basics)

A combo will start when you dodge and stun an opponent, most enemies will be stunned after just one dodge but there are some with different properties - like the black enemies which need 4 dodges. So the first thing is to learn how to dodge & stun each enemy type.

Once the combo initiates an unseen countdown begins (when you get a V sign below your VFX bar, combo has started). You reset the timer by hitting a stunned enemy or dodging another, this is where you build up points and setup your and their positions for the VFX finish. What's important here is to learn how many hits each enemy type can take before they die - you want to stun all enemies on screen and inflict maximum hits on all of them. The standard white enemies can take 3 taps, the spinning ones can take 5 - the rest you can work out
So work out a sequence setup where you stun an enemy, inflict maximum damage without killing, move to next one, stun - and so on until all have taken it *only then do you start using VFX*

When the setup is finished hit Slow and hold it (the combo ends when you release Slow). Now each enemy you hit while in slow will multiply the combo points you scored during the setups by 1 - so with a good setup where you hit lots of enemies within Slow you can max the combo at 9999Viewtifuls.

So suppose you setup 4 enemies and that gives you 340Viewtifuls - hit all 4 in Slow and that takes it up to 1360Viewtifuls.

Movement during Slow is an art! Animation cancels are vital if you want to fully rinse it, the rule is that kick cancels punch and vice versa. You can get Joe to track sideways quickly in 3 ways: 1. Rapid kick/punch cancels so that he keeps stepping while just about ready to attack. 2. Sliding to uppercut cancel, Sliding is down + kick (when you buy it) uppercut is down and punch - cancel the end of Sliding into just a couple frames of the uppercut then back to Sliding and so up (it's quick when you get the timing). 3. Hold Mach Speed within Slow for extra speed while running. Attack type is vital in Slow - Kicks will send enemied diagonally while punches Vertical or Horizontal depending if it's an uppercut or not. So Make sure you dont smash enemies into eachother, smash them away from eachother so you dont have to move about to reach all of them. Red Hot Kick will always send enemies diagonally up, standing kicks or sweeps both launch 45degrees - punch is simply straight forward, uppercut straight up. Once you learn how to aim enemies and position them during the setups you can smash them up into unreachable areas to get more V cans to fill the VFX bar.

Zoom-In is a shift-key for extra attacks, Zoom + punch is rapid punch, + kick is 360Kick, + Down+punch is rapid uppercut, Zoom + Red Hot Kick is Dragon Kick, Zoom + Jump is a rising attack, Zoom on the way down from a jump is a stomp. All these attacks are VERY powerful in Slow, against bosses are is nothing stronger than Zoom + Slow + punch/down and punch. When you earn them: Ukemi is a tech roll which is just Zoom when you hit the floor, Viewtiful Forever is a counter which you actvate by hitting Zoom when in a slow motion dodge (autoguard within Slow)

You can use Mach Speed during your setups, it acts exactly like normal attack and wont affect your combo but be careful as it's easy to kill enemies accidently. During a lot of sections extra enemies jump in after existing ones go, so a good tactic here is to kill the extra ones during the setup so that once you finish in Slow no more jump in - It's worth learning the numbers!!! As the kills will add decent points to your total.

As long as you follow the rules the combos are easy to keep going and the setups are up to your imaginaton. You gotta keep at Joe so you'll be on form for when Joe 2 comes out!

Ramirez said:
Uhhh No what Elyrion?

And Kids mode was so painfully boring I didn't even bother with it,lol...I mean I suck,but with like 10 hearts it was absolutely no challenge :p

speaking of you. Didn't you start that thread that the said the gamecube was the worst console this gen and that you got 5-10 hours playtime in 2004? Its not cause the gamecube titles aren't great or not enaging. Its just cause you suck. Helicopters. Pfffft

Saurian

Someone mentioned the helicopter battle being difficult?

It's not - The helicopter only has one attack that you should get out of the way from and that's the vulcan, you simply run forward under the machine. To inflict damage you just dodge an enemy or two it throws out and smash them into the helicopter as they are dazed - it only takes a couple hits.

The Jokers: They are not an issue, just wait for that laugh then hit slow, dodge his attack - zoom then punch and that's a 1 hit KO.

Charles III (The bat) - He can be beaten in 3 seconds or so - start the fight: simply throw a bomb, then throw a Voomerang, hit Slow, zoom-in then punch and that's KO with a D V V ranking. Just skip using the bomb for a V V V rating.

Viewtiful joe is not a difficult game at all - compared with the older scrolling beat em ups and platform games it's easy. It's the fact that the game requires the player to learn the system and many abilities Joe has in order to get good at the game rather than just put time into travelling towards the ending sequence. Games in general now are so east that whenever something challenging comes along it gets slated - it's sad.

Put the effort into learning the game properly, it doent take much and I think you'll find the game incredibly rewarding if you do.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I agree with the original poster actually, the camera can be annoying during bosses. I suppose you could claim it's like that to challenge your reflexes (being that kind of game), but I think it's a rather cheap trick in that case. The bosses themselves aren't too hard once you've learned their patterns and how to beat them, but the camera view sometimes makes it harder.

They should add the ability "zoom out" for Viewtiful Joe 2. ;)

Saurian

How does "camera" come into it?

Viewtiful Joe is a side on 2D scrolling beat em up, there is absolutely no need for a twisting/panning camera to track anything within the game at any time. It's not a cheap trick or whatever - it's the way the game, infact the whole genre works.

All you lot want is the dumbing down of games to carry on, input from the player's skill and imagination rendered pointless and games that hold you by the hand constantly instead of offering a challenge. Every complaint about Viewtiful Joe is due to players too big headed to admit that they need to learn tactics and skills within games to get the most out of them so they take the bitches way out and slate it.

Judging by the number of threads actually about PLAYING games on this forum it feels not many people here are into playing games at all.

SantaC

Hey I am stuck on Midnight Thunderboy on level5 (adult) gimme some hints how to beat him people!

The bosses are incredible hard, but I love it!

SantaC

Another Joe was hard, but I never gave up. And after like 3 days I finally beat him. The key here is keeping him busy so he never launch his pesky clones.

ced

I quit at the shark boss. I'll get back to it one day, but it is just lacking something to drive me through the frustrating bosses. I cant say what it is, but NG had it in spades, I kept going till the end.

Ill be the first to admit Im weaksauce nowadays though. I just dont have the skill or patience I used to when I was younger. I even went to kids mode when you had to fight two copters or harrier jets, cant remember.

Mega Man : Network Transmission is another game I didnt play past one or two bosses.

ge-man

The problem with Viewtiful Joe is that you need to know how to damage characters. You will not get ANYWHERE just punching and kicking your way through the game--learning how to manipulate the VFX for special moves is the most efficient way of getting through the game and will likely make the game a more enjoyable experince. And if you want Rainbow V ratings, it's actually neccesary. There's no way you can be a boss in time for a RV without at least using the red hot one hundred technique. Well, at least in my experince I don't see how it could be done.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This is the first time I've ever heard a complaint about the camera in the game. I had no problem at all playing the game. Even if the enemies are off screen, I can usually use the sound effects as cues.

I hope Capcom doesn't dumb down the next game. The difficulty on Adults mode was perfect as it is. Viewtiful Joe fucking rocked

I don't get how there could be any problem with VJ's camera. It is a freaking side-scrolling 2D fighting game. The only problme u can have is enemy shooting at you from outside the screen which almost never happen in the game. If you zoom-in in this game, you are freaking invulnerable, so again, there is no problem that you might get hurt somehow. Plus, it is an obvious strategy tradeoff to lose track of enemies that are not closed by when you are zoom-in because you want to deal the maximum damage, something gotta give.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'll probably be forever stuck on the Magnificient Five in Adults Mode, but I'd rather have that than breeze through the game in an hour.

Ristamar

human5892 said:
I'll probably be forever stuck on the Magnificient Five in Adults Mode, but I'd rather have that than breeze through the game in an hour.

I'm at The Magnificient Five in V-Rated... well, I have been for about 6 months, and I haven't touched it in awhile. Another Joe is the most annoying boss, IMO, even more than Fire Leo. He can be frustrating even if you're aware of his patterns.

Ramirez

speaking of you. Didn't you start that thread that the said the gamecube was the worst console this gen and that you got 5-10 hours playtime in 2004? Its not cause the gamecube titles aren't great or not enaging. Its just cause you suck. Helicopters. Pfffft

Naw man,you have me mixed up with someone else,never said that,I love my NGC :)

SantaC

I actually was able to beat Another Joe without him launching his clones once! The key is to keep him busy everytime he appears, if you do that he wont have the time to launch the clones! Use the speed button to get hold of him as soon as he dissapears.

I really love this game.

Ristamar

SantaCruZer said:
I actually was able to beat Another Joe without him launching his clones once! The key is to keep him busy everytime he appears, if you do that he wont have the time to launch the clones! Use the speed button to get hold of him as soon as he dissapears.

I get greedy and go for all the V-Reels, so he inevitably gets a couple clone attacks off...

DrLazy

Well I'm on Another Joe now, and yes he's hard. I beat the shark after a little practice this morning (now playing sober). It's funny someone mentioned Mega Man Transmissions, because this game is exactly like Megaman in my opinion. I'm playing on adult, and there is no way I'm restarting now. My gripe about the camera during boss fights still remains.

Question: Should I be trying to hit Another Joe in the electric pit? And when the clones are released on me, my only defense is zooming in and repeatedly doing the spin kick. Is there a better defense?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My method of killing Another Joe: Don't let him release the clones, ever :p

Once you know how he attacks, it's not very difficult to stop him from releasing the clones. But when he does, I find tha the zoom + spin kick is the best defense...I've tried to find another way to avoid them but it usually ends up in me dying. And I never try to hit im into the electric pit since it doesn't really do much damage. The flying Six Machine can make things complicated too if you're not paying attention

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Beating Viewtiful Joe is a test of man-hood. =)

I loved every moment of it. People these days get frustrated far, far too quickly, and most games have been much easier than they should of for the last few years.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Necroscope said:
I don't get how there could be any problem with VJ's camera. It is a freaking side-scrolling 2D fighting game. The only problme u can have is enemy shooting at you from outside the screen which almost never happen in the game. If you zoom-in in this game, you are freaking invulnerable, so again, there is no problem that you might get hurt somehow. Plus, it is an obvious strategy tradeoff to lose track of enemies that are not closed by when you are zoom-in because you want to deal the maximum damage, something gotta give.

OF COURSE it's an obvious strategy tradeoff to zoom-in, but I wasn't even talking about that. I was talking about the regular view.

Seems like there's a problem with semantics here too. Let's not call it "camera", let's call it "view" - what you see when playing the game. There's always a VIEW in games, no matter if it's in 2D or 3D.

Enemies attacking from outside the screen definitely happens quite a few times in Viewtiful Joe, both projectiles and enemies starting their attacks from outside the screen. Some people find it challenging, while others just consider it to be cheap. I'm somewhere in-between, but I can see people getting frustrated with it.

Ristamar

Kiriku said:
Enemies attacking from outside the screen definitely happens quite a few times in Viewtiful Joe, both projectiles and enemies starting their attacks from outside the screen.

Thankfully, most (all?) enemies with long range/projectile attacks have discernable audible cues just before they execute the move. I think Capcom did it's best to allow the skilled, attentive gamer to avoid almost any sort of cheapness.

My only problem with the boss battles was that I couldn't understand a freaking thing any of them said. Between their bizarre voices and the fact that they'd never speak over the music, it was just an exercize in frustration. They really need to take care of that in the second one.

yoshifumi

Banned
all the bosses have a distinct and simple pattern they follow or at least have a distinct strategy you have to use...once you figure them out, it's relatively easy.

Top Bottom