• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vince Zampella in charge to save the Battlefield franchise

.Pennywise

Banned
Too Late Grandhotelabc GIF by ABC Network

For 2042 at least

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Zampella's dudebro, deep as a puddle COD games are the reason I was drawn to the other franchise in Battlefield in the first place.
Now Im supposed to be excited that douche is in charge of Battlefield?

The OG creators of Battlefield are long gone - as is all hope the BF franchise will ever reach its original heights.

Last edited:

EDMIX

This is a debatable one.

On one hand moving on to a new project from the ground up with new leadership can get us a new BF faster, on the other hand its hard to even market a new BF title with the promise of support off the heels of dropping support from the last title.

Let them use 2042 to see what the series needs in regards to changes and feedback and let that feedback guide the next BF, vs the next BF being their FIRST time with that director. I think BF needs the long term approach and shouldn't be a every other year type thing anymore.

Zampella's dudebro, deep as a puddle COD games are the reason I was drawn to the other franchise in Battlefield in the first place.
Now Im supposed to be excited that douche is in charge of Battlefield?

The OG creators of Battlefield are long gone - as is all hope the BF franchise will ever reach its original heights.

I greatly disagree on all fronts...

Titanfall isn't like Call Of Duty, Call Of Duty wasn't 100% like Medal Of Honor, Fallen Order wasn't like Call Of Duty. He directs based on what the project is, not based on "COD gamez", if he can't bring BF back to glory, I'd say its more so on EA, as something they want from the IP has more to do with this odd direction then a person with a proven track record of making solid titles.

So this whole idea of a person making a game and assuming something else they make will be like that game is silly, or are you expecting Fallen Order 2 to play like APEX?

A great amount of the past BF developers still exist at DICE as you are free to look them up in the credits, based on whats going on at EA, I believe its overall irrelevant to any of this. The fucking people who made some of the best maps for BF3, BF4, BF1 etc worked on 2042, easily some of the worst maps in BF history, that doesn't mean they didn't make great maps in the past, it means them being there is fucking irrelevant if EA is OKing a designer to do any and every wrong with IP by directing those map designers to make massive maps at all cost or something. I've even read people say shit like "if only they had the person that made the maps for BF4" like the fuck? They did, a lot of those same people literally are making those maps in 2042 lol

This is a debatable one.

On one hand moving on to a new project from the ground up with new leadership can get us a new BF faster, on the other hand its hard to even market a new BF title with the promise of support off the heels of dropping support from the last title.

Let them use 2042 to see what the series needs in regards to changes and feedback and let that feedback guide the next BF, vs the next BF being their FIRST time with that director. I think BF needs the long term approach and shouldn't be a every other year type thing anymore.
There wasn't many people who were as fired up about 2042 as I was even saying it was going to be a COD killer this year and I preordered the Ultimate Edition

Then we had the beta...

But they told us many of the bugs were fixed as it was an old build.

So thankful we had the 10 hour trial

I almost could have forgiven stuff up until this point but when they called the community toxic, threatened to shut down Reddit, complained about our high expectations even going so far as to blame Halo Infinite as hurting 2042 just did me in

I hope they can maybe fix 2042 and get player count back up.

I hope even more the next BF is great and they learn from this

I hope the very most we get another 10 hour trial for the next BF as I don't believe a damn thing they say right now

Battlefield will always have potential, but so far it just hasn't materialized, it feels like an ubisoft IP, they have interesting directions that they can go, but they just don't. Game ends up being generic by result, and the sequels are then stuck not even going as far as they initially went. It quickly becomes a conveyor belt leading to a dead end.

Last time they were close to fully realizing what they should aim for was battlefield bad company 2... So, 12 years ago.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Shooter developers are off to the races every year, with 2042 there was a lack of effort and detail you saw in Battlefield 1, V.

[Sigma]

Eh, I thought this was already known and no I dunno if he can save anything. I dunno what his vision is and sadly, too many have left at this point so I have 0 confidence in this DICE.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I'm not a Battlefield fan because it takes u a bit to "get to the fun".

Speeding that portion will be both a step in the right direction but also a step away from what makes it Battlefield.

EDMIX

There wasn't many people who were as fired up about 2042 as I was even saying it was going to be a COD killer this year and I preordered the Ultimate Edition

Then we had the beta...

But they told us many of the bugs were fixed as it was an old build.

So thankful we had the 10 hour trial

I almost could have forgiven stuff up until this point but when they called the community toxic, threatened to shut down Reddit, complained about our high expectations even going so far as to blame Halo Infinite as hurting 2042 just did me in

I hope they can maybe fix 2042 and get player count back up.

I hope even more the next BF is great and they learn from this

I hope the very most we get another 10 hour trial for the next BF as I don't believe a damn thing they say right now

Completely agree.

This is a put up or shut up type situation where 2042 needs to be fixed so they have a great argument for the next BF as many will just state "support? Didn't ya'll drop 2042?" lol, so I'm still hype to see what Zampella can pull off with the IP, but they have a lot to prove and I believe the BF series simply can't be having several entries a generation.

I legit think they should put out 1 BF a generation, as in the next BF next gen only and leave it at that until PS6 or something and make that one next...next gen only as well. They can't do cross gen games without a laundry list of issues and putting out many games is pointless if they are having issue after issue.

NO more experimenting, leave BF as the base concept and leave those new ideas, to NEW IP. I think the BF series is done with that phase and should have never been used to even support many of those ideas.

theclaw135

Banned
What fresh territory is left that'd belong in Battlefield? They've already been to Vietnam and WW1. Mechs? Oh, done that.

Varteras

Gold Member
While I know a lot of people "resigned" after the shit show commenced, Vince is going to need to remove a whole lot more people or scare them straight. I recall Tom Henderson saying most of the people responsible for Battlefield left shortly after the release of Battlefield 1. For the last 6 years, that franchise has increasingly been in the hands of arrogant, untalented douchebags who somehow believed telling your fanbase to get bent if they didn't like it and just do whatever they wanted wasn't going to backfire on them. They paid the price during Battlefield V but apparently didn't learn their lesson and now 2042 is the butt of most FPS jokes.

I remember it was said there was an internal e-mail where an EA exec said, "We believed we were ready for launch through mock reviews, and our testing, which showed strong service stability. Our critical reception was initially strong - in the low 80s."

These people took a huge shit on the floor and stood around it until they convinced themselves it didn't really smell that bad.

tusharngf

so everything comes down to Vince? They dont have enough people to run the studios? whats happening at EA? anything goes wrong lets give this task to Vince. At this rate he will become president of EA. EA needs to get some talent now. Everything cant be done by Vince alone.

Dr.D00p

I just want something like the BFBC2 campaign again

I loved BFBC2 as much as the next guy....for its multiplayer fun.

The campaign, like every single BF campaign, was a boring, scripted, corridor shooter that was never completed by the vast majority of those who started it.

Inviusx

There is a top tier battlefield game buried within 2042. The visuals, the setting, the chaos of the 128 player mode, I hope they can get it back on track. I enjoyed my time with it but it could be soon much more than it currently is.

Leyasu

Banned
Simple class based 64 or 84 (if they want to up the player count) player battlefield akin to 3 or 4 is all the need.

People will flock back

Top Bottom