• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice chat on the Switch will consist of a paid app on "smart" devices (your phone)

We have no clue

Reggie doubled down on the whole Smartphone app does everything im not even sure he knows what future functionality plans are

Its really up to whoever is engineering this new ecosystem they are building

Im.... not confident in what we have seen so far

Peltz

I'm pretty confused. Didn't Wii U allow for voice chat via the gamepad in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? Why is that not the model for voice chat on Switch?

Berordn

I'm pretty confused. Didn't Wii U allow for voice chat via the gamepad in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? Why is that not the model for voice chat on Switch?

The game supported it, but the Wii U had no infrastructure for in-game chat. Might be that the system can support it but only if the software does all this themselves.

For the record this would be terrible if they expect people to pay for online on the system.

i'm confused with nintendo's messaging. i know you will be able to voice chat with a smartphone app. but will you be able to voicechat without a smartphone? like just through the console?

latest

I think its the same story here

We believe the Switch Audio port supports inline mics as well as wireless mics over bluetooth

So they may allow Devs to add voice and support it themselves.... which would be better than what they are trying to do with the dumb app

However the switch itself doesnt appear to have a mic on the outside and Pro Controllers/Joycon Grips do not have audio jacks

So Wireless would be the ONLY option in console mode

The Jutty

This is still my biggest gripe with the switch. I'm not paying for a service that i have to hear everyone's TV blasting through party chat.

GcRayden

Although this is speculation, watching this video does not leave me with much faith. I transcribed his answer as best as possible for anyone who wants to quote this for further speculation.

https://youtu.be/mLAu113idcs?t=2m56s

GameSpot: How will the smartphones tie into the Switch?

Reggie: The smart phone app that we're creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that's how you'll voice chat, that's how you'll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it's a very elegant solution because if you've taken your switch on the go, you've put yourself in a hotspot, you're looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we've got an elegant solution. That's a very specific answer to your question.

The wording in this video is very specific, as even Reggie points out himself.

Kyoufu

Although this is speculation, watching this video does not leave me with much faith. I transcribed his answer as best as possible for anyone who wants to quote this for further speculation.

GameSpot: How will the smartphones tie into the Switch?

This interview made me mad. Saying they've listened to criticism and then doing the opposite of what people want. Ninteno are so incredibly out of touch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The wording in this video is very specific, as even Reggie points out himself.

It's very clear what their strategy is. Only people in a deep denial won't understand this.

I don't know Reggie, maybe a better solution would have been launching a less bulky gaming headset maybe?

AndyD

aka andydumi
This interview made me mad. Saying they've listened to criticism and then doing the opposite of what people want. Ninteno are so incredibly out of touch.

In all honesty, there is a certain element of elegance on the go.

You might have your Switch in your backpack, but your smartphone is always in hand. You get an invite on your phone, set up a party/lobby and initiate a game session. And only then you get out the Switch and go straight into play (especially since battery is an issue).

That said, there could be a lot less elegance as to the headset, if you decide to use one, and definitely at home or if you don't have a smartphone. Essentially, it could be a cool companion app but should not be the exclusive method for any of those functions. Which coincidentally is the way MS/Sony approached it.

brad-t

The app honestly sounds really cool. Being able to access the online services without taking out the Switch is great.

But it should also be on the Switch. I suspect (hope?) it eventually will be.

Kyoufu

You might have your Switch in your backpack, but your smartphone is always in hand. You get an invite on your phone, set up a party/lobby and initiate a game session. And only then you get out the Switch and go straight into play (especially since battery is an issue).

That said, there could be a lot less elegance as to the headset, if you decide to use one, and definitely at home or if you don't have a smartphone. Essentially, it could be a cool companion app but should not be the exclusive method for any of those functions. Which coincidentally is the way MS/Sony approached it.

I wouldn't even use party chat on the go, not in a crowded public place at least.

And no, my smartphone is not always in my hand. It'd be in my pocket when I intend on playing a Switch/3DS/Vita game.

It should definitely be optional, not the only way to do something so basic in 2017.

Oregano

I almost feel sorry for Reggie because he won't have made this decision but has to defend it. Almost.

I wouldn't even use party chat on the go, not in a crowded public place at least.

And no, my smartphone is not always in my hand. It'd be in my pocket when I intend on playing a Switch/3DS/Vita game.

It should definitely be optional, not the only way to do something so basic in 2017.

Yup, it's a great option. Especially in regards to being able to voice chat over a smart device when docked at home but the thing has a 3.5mm jack FFS.

deleted

As someone who has to resort to basically the same method from time to time, I don't see the big downside.

When I'm out of town for work and I want to play some Rocket League on my Laptop with some friends, I use TeamSpeak over my phone. I usually don't take my bulky headset along and my Laptop transmits the fan noise (the mic is placed stupidly close to the vent).
So I just plug in my phone-buds and talk over TS while playing on my Laptop. Works pretty well..

I can see that it's not an ideal solution like on PS4 e.g. but let's just wait until we know all the variables until we throw it all out. It could work just fine in the end.

Peltz

This is already how I set up racing with my friend in MK7. He texts me and we grab our 3DS systems and start. We also chat over the phone.

The key is that we do this for free right now.

As someone who has to resort to basically the same method from time to time, I don't see the big downside.

When I'm out of town for work and I want to play some Rocket League on my Laptop with some friends, I use TeamSpeak over my phone. I usually don't take my bulky headset along and my Laptop transmits the fan noise (the mic is placed stupidly close to the vent).
So I just plug in my phone-buds and talk over TS while playing on my Laptop. Works pretty well..

I can see that it's not an ideal solution like on PS4 e.g. but let's just wait until we know all the variables until we throw it all out. It could work just fine in the end.

Yea, but that sort of solution (talking over a phone) is free.

The way Reggie keeps talking describing it, it sounds like he is expecting people to use their phone's speaker to voice chat, which would just be annoying as fuck (especially in public), otherwise what is the point of continually bringing up the "bulky gamer headsets"? Unless you want to use your phone as a speaker you are still going to need to plug your headset (bulky or otherwise) into your phone. How is that more "elegant" than just plugging it directly into th Switch? I really feel Reggie having to sell this stupid idea as some kind of advantage. Nintendo really making him work for that paycheck.

Guys I think Switch will support wired and Wireless headphones

They just have no intention of building OS level party chat at this time

However they could add OS functions in the future so maybe if we request it strongly enough?

Also it remains to be seen if Third Parties can allow Voice Chat in game on their end

Either way the situation is still looking pretty shitty across the board until they tell us something different
Failure @ the bolded

If you don't plan that early in the design of the machine , it's very difficult to add it later as the PS3 proven us.

Of course third parties can add voice chat in their games , but if there is no-unified vision on the console ( as right now it's without the console ) , it's a failure

Interfectum

More confirmation that voice chat is only enabled from your smartphone and not built into the system:

And as for voice chat, it sounds like that functionality will only be in the smart phone app, not something that is actually going to be part of the Switch system itself.

“Right,” Young said. “That’s what we’ve been discussing, is that this app will allow you [to use] the voice chat.”

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/18/n...ility-battery-life-leaks-and-the-3dss-future/

So fucking dumb.

Effect

And why the hell is it a "paid" app when you're already paying for the subscription service?

You're paying for the online service and the app is apart of the package you're getting. In theory you could pay the online fee and just ignore the voice chat on the app if you wished and use discord, etc. You're not paying separately or just for the app. The app's functionality is likely determined when you log into your Nintendo account. So if you haven't paid you only get access to the free services.

I gotta hope some of this stuff is added to the system in the future. I also have to hope they fully explain why they've gone in this direction and what other options people will have for running this service because not everyone has a smartphone. Also what mic are they offering because everything being speaker based is bad.

Raet

I hope so too, just not taking anything for granted with Nintendo considering the greed they've been showing lately (like with $90 docks?).

Effect

I do think, paid or free, this app is going to be a big hub to their entire ecosystem. Switch, mobile, advertising, etc. I just really need to know if this app can be downloaded on tablets (especially Kindle Fires), ipods, chromebooks, etc.

Watching this gamespot video, now makes a ton of sense, why they are doing this through an app. Without LTE built in, voicechat and communication can be done from a hotspot if need be. At first I thought this solution was crazy but now makes more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAu113idcs#t=2m30s

I don't see how that makes any sense. What is the scenario where your Switch is not connected to the internet but you need to voice chat on the Nintendo online service?

hilarious that they call that elegant, i'd call it doublespeak but it's just delusional

I mean, this is an elegant solution really.

It's elegant as an option though, as a replacement it's terrible. Not that they can't add in this functionality later, but it's very, very weird that someone thought this was a good idea, at least for launch.

Trace

Banned
Watching this gamespot video, now makes a ton of sense, why they are doing this through an app. Without LTE built in, voicechat and communication can be done from a hotspot if need be. At first I thought this solution was crazy but now makes more sense.

Nope still doesn't make sense. This is how it should work when you're at a hotspot: You take your switch. You plug your headphones with mic into the top. You voice chat with friends through the console itself. No "bulky gamer headset" required. Their way I need two separate devices, both consuming power, that I now need to juggle to do a basic console function.

abbyabs

I don't get this whole "Carry a bulky headset around with you argument"

Ninetendo are selling the Switch as home console?

Why I can't just plug in my "ear buds" as Reggie puts it into the switch?

What if i want to listen to the game audio and chat via headset?

Make no sense come on Nintendo for once give up party/chat options like Sony and Microsoft .....

Interfectum

This makes it sound even worse. Matchmaking done in the app? So I gotta juggle two screens and a headset that attaches to my phone to do online multi? How is this a more elegant solution than the Switch handling everything?

I mean, this is an elegant solution really.

It's elegant as an option though, as a replacement it's terrible. Not that they can't add in this functionality later, but it's very, very weird that someone thought this was a good idea, at least for launch.

I don't even think this will be available for launch. My understanding is that it will launch in the fall when their "paid" service actually goes up. From launch date until then the service is a "free trial" apparently. But I'm not too clear on what this does or doesn't include

Edit: ok so the app is launching in summer apparently. still doesn't indicate how the online will work on launch day though

Mindlog

The 'bulky gamer headset' line still boggles when it comes from someone trying to sell a 'single purpose bulky gamer tablet.'
Connect your Bluetooth headset to your phone. Done.
But the Switch has Bluetooth.
I don't see how that makes any sense. What is the scenario where your Switch is not connected to the internet but you need to voice chat on the Nintendo online service?
Exactly. Also PSN and XBOX Live already let you send text from your phone to their respective services.

Top Bottom