• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr the Viking coming to PS4/WiiU/Vita/3DS

HeeHo

Bought it on PC a few weeks ago because it was taking too long to come to ps4. It is really hard, I've never been good at anything remotely like Ghouls n Ghosts. I still like it and need to put more time into it.

casiopao

Yesyes
yes
yes.

I remember asking for this game on whether it is going to be released on 3ds or wii u in future and the dev said still no idea. And here we are. Going to get on 3ds to play it on the go. Do we know if it is going to have cross buy or not?

Rubikant

It's not 240p native, and there's a decent amount of camera zooming/panning too. I kinda wonder how they're gonna handle that on 3DS.

For technical reasons I won't go into detail about here, the game's actual native resolution is 512x288, so a bit bigger than the 3DS's 400x240. This means at 1x scale the 3DS shows less surroundings than the other versions of the game do. We are experimenting with possible alternate camera systems for the 3DS version to help compensate for this.

Amazing little game, only let down by the last level which went against the rest of the game (constant checkpoints and not much going on).

If you do try it and you should, know that the second level is a huge hump. It gets much easier after that.

It took me a while to struggle my way to the boss of the second stage, then the control system made it harder than I wanted (where I knew what I had to do, but executing it with the weighty jumps was a challenge in itself) and I gave up.

Did have some fiddly issues with getting turned around occasionally when I ducked, but it was hard to replicate, and the dev did try to work with me over Twitter about it, which was nice. (Didn't @ them or anything.)

Edit: Oh right, there they are.

Game is too hard.
It's got the retro feel nailed down in visuals and sound, but this is 2015, I dont need any shitty unfair difficulty bullshit to keep me playing a game. It actually does the opposite and keeps me away.
Shovel Knight did every thing Volgarr was trying to do....and made it also fun and enoyable.
Volgarr = Battletoads
Shovel Knight = Megaman

It took me a while to struggle my way to the boss of the second stage, then the control system made it harder than I wanted (where I knew what I had to do, but executing it with the weighty jumps was a challenge in itself) and I gave up.

Did have some fiddly issues with getting turned around occasionally when I ducked, but it was hard to replicate, and the dev did try to work with me over Twitter about it, which was nice. (Didn't @ them or anything.)

Edit: Oh right, there they are.

That is a very good point. The default control scheme sucked, and I did much better once I customised it a bit especially for throwing.

Shovel knight = mega man? I know what you are saying, because it is accessible. However any challenge it throws at you can be easily bypassed. Volgarr actually makes you overcomes things, which makes it a rewarding experience.

Too hard? No. Maybe too demanding for a lot gamers but I admire it for that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The game is incredibly well-designed. It's one of the few games that I've really wanted to get good at, and the feeling of getting through the game without dying is just incredibly satisfying.

Definitely worth playing if you like a challenge.

If you judge difficulty solely by how many times you die, Volgarr isn't for you.

You're expected to die here and there, but the point of the game is to make the most damage-free run through a level you can. You inch forward bit by bit and sometimes get waylaid by something unexpected. But you're not going to get hit by it again unless you're not paying attention.

It's The Perfect Run turned into a video game.

duckroll

"Shitty unfair difficulty bullshit" is the last thing I would use to describe this game. It is actually amazingly fair considering the intention to be a hard game. I would also disagree that Shovel Knight does "everything it tries to do". I like both games, but there are lots of things it does which Shovel Knight clearly doesn't even try to approach. Volgarr is about learning how to master a specific and fixed move set, and using it to overcome all challenges throughout the game. The character never gets stronger or learns new moves, the player does. Having way less checkpoints while pacing stages so they don't feel too long on their own is also a big difference between the two games. It requires players to pay more attention to what they're doing, and concentrate more without making stupid mistakes.

Shovel Knight is definitely more fun to just casually play because it offers lots of different subweapons, fun distractions, and it doesn't feel like it's kicking your ass too much so you can progress even if you suck at the game, and feel good about that. But for me Volgarr is a far more rewarding game to play, even if it can be stressful for long periods of time. Accomplishing something in Volgarr is more satisfying because you know the game wouldn't hand it to you anyway if you performed worse.

I won this here on GAF, and it's hard as nails, but I love it. I'll definitely double-dip on a console version because I think I'd do better on a bigger TV in more comfortable surroundings.

El Sloth

Banned
If you judge difficulty solely by how many times you die, Volgarr isn't for you.

You're expected to die here and there, but the point of the game is to make the most damage-free run through a level you can. You inch forward bit by bit and sometimes get waylaid by something unexpected. But you're not going to get hit by it again unless you're not paying attention.

It's The Perfect Run turned into a video game.
The first time you can make it through world 1 without losing a single piece of armor is an amazing feeling. You feel like digital Conan.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
this game is too hard for me and I'm a babby and I hate it

RM8

Will double dip for 3D.

My only issue with the game was that it was a bit ugly, but not that it was unfairly challenging.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This game is super hard but I like it, in the same sadistic way that I like spelunky. I HATE IT

Ape

Banned
Great game, finished it on Xbox. It's all about memorization and timing, it ends up not being too difficult once you get the hang of it.

pvpness

Was about to get grumpy about people saying it's unfair but duckroll nailed it already. Don't be a scrub and this game will sing. I will definitely double dip on 3DS.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Played it right at the start when it was available with GwG on Xbox One. Couldn't get through the first level and stopped trying.
A couple of weeks ago I got bored and thought I'd give it a try again and I've succeeded. Finished the first level and worked my way to the boss in the second level and that's where I'm stuck at :/
Played for many hours then and had a lot of fun despite dying many many times.

Game is too hard.
It's got the retro feel nailed down in visuals and sound, but this is 2015, I dont need any shitty unfair difficulty bullshit to keep me playing a game. It actually does the opposite and keeps me away.
Shovel Knight did every thing Volgarr was trying to do....and made it also fun and enoyable.
Volgarr = Battletoads
Shovel Knight = Megaman

Shovel Knight is a piece of cake, though, especially compared to Mega Man. At least for me. I don't think Shovel Knight was trying to be hard at all.

I played Volgarr on Steam last year, and loved it. Despite the difficulty, it had an intelligent level design. I am willing to spend my money again for the PS4 version.

Will definitely double dip, probably for Vita.

This is one of the absolute best "throwback" games, right up there with Cave Story, Shovel Knight and Bleed.

This is the one indie game I've really been waiting to hit the big time on consoles.

If the 3D is really cool, then 3DS version it is.

Same. Already have it on PC and loved what I played of it, but having it as a portable game will allow me to actually dedicate time to it. Hopefully the 3D will be as good as Shovel Knight's.

lcap

1000/1000 this on games with gold. And came out 10 years older with an epic beard and chest hair. My favourite game on Xbox one.
No longer have Xbox one so will actually buy this for my PS4 and hope there is a platinum.

played the first level so many times that it became pure muscle memory.

http://xboxclips.com/Footos22/3e0cb479-3dca-4af8-ab7b-25eb299af3f4

Great footage, that's some high level play you did there.

I've heard about this game but this was the first time I've seen footage of it,how is it? Are the controls tight and responsive? Do you have a life bar or is it one hit kill?

Puru

This game was pretty good, one of the games i enjoyed the most last year.
I didn't felt it was unfair, i felt really rewarded when playing it calm and focused.

ArjanN

Great footage, that's some high level play you did there.

I've heard about this game but this was the first time I've seen footage of it,how is it? Are the controls tight and responsive? Do you have a life bar or is it one hit kill?

Great.

Yes, they're deliberate but responsive.

You can take a couple of hits if you've collected some armor, sorta like Ghost 'N Goblins.

Top Bottom