• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voodoo Vince Remastered (XB1/PC, Early 2017)

NEO0MJ

Hopefully this means that we will see more Original Xbox games appearing on PC and Xbox One, I would love to play some games like Crimson Skies, Brute Force, Jade Empire, Blinx, Kotor etc

Send me to the original Xbox days if old

You can already play the bolded on PC. Most laptops can run them perfectly these days.

Parsnip

Wait, I thought MS owned Voodoo Vince? If they didn't this probably would be releasing everwhere.

They owned it, but not sure they do anymore. All their registered VV trademarks seem to have been canceled or abandoned, and they'd have to have used the ip in order to keep common-law tm rights.
In which case maybe Beep owns the tm through common-law just by using it now?
I'm certainly not a lawyer though, so take that whichever way you choose.

But considering they are going through id@xbox and have steam greenlight page up, Beep is seemingly self publishing.

I actually think it would be somewhat awesome to see Beep bring this to Playstation also, if they truly own the rights (MS seems to have abandoned all trademarks for Voodoo Vince).

Would just be pretty cool to see an original Xbox game (that was IP owned by MS) remastered and released for PC,XB1,PS4

They owned it, but not sure they do anymore. All their registered VV trademarks seem to have been canceled or abandoned, and they'd have to have used the ip in order to keep common-law tm rights.
In which case maybe Beep owns the tm through common-law just by using it now?
I'm certainly not a lawyer though, so take that whichever way you choose.

But considering they are going through id@xbox and have steam greenlight page up, Beep is seemingly self publishing.

Just because a trademark runs out doesn't mean you don't own the IP. Trademark is only there to protect the brand. Not every game is in the Trademark registry. MS still owns the IP of Voodoo Vince.

I actually think it would be somewhat awesome to see Beep bring this to Playstation also, if they truly own the rights (MS seems to have abandoned all trademarks for Voodoo Vince).

Would just be pretty cool to see an original Xbox game (that was IP owned by MS) remastered and released for PC,XB1,PS4

MS still owns it, Beep probably worked out a deal with them just like how MS worked a deal with Mechwarrior franchise with the original developers.

Parsnip

Just because a trademark runs out doesn't mean you don't own the IP. Trademark is only there to protect the brand. Not every game is in the Trademark registry.
I'm aware.
I'm specifically wondering how common-law trademark rights work in this case. As far as I understand it, even with an abandoned/canceled mark you hold the rights to it as long you keep using it. But MS hasn't used Vince I guess since the original release.

In any case, obviously a deal was made, but since Beep is seemingly self publishing, I wonder about the specifics of the deal and if indeed MS still owns it. It would be weird for a MS owned game go through id@xbox, no? Surely there would be a small print MS or text somewhere in the trailer too?
Maybe they sold it for a dollar.

I actually don't really really care, as long as it's coming to Steam I'm all good. It's just curious is all. Voodoo Vince of all things.

I'm aware.
I'm specifically wondering how common-law trademark rights work in this case. As far as I understand it, even with an abandoned/canceled mark you hold the rights to it as long you keep using it. But MS hasn't used Vince I guess since the original release.

In any case, obviously a deal was made, but since Beep is seemingly self publishing, I wonder about the specifics of the deal and if indeed MS still owns it. It would be weird for a MS owned game go through id@xbox, no? Surely there would be a small print MS or text somewhere in the trailer too?
Maybe they sold it for a dollar.

I actually don't really really care, as long as it's coming to Steam I'm all good. It's just curious is all. Voodoo Vince of all things.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. What I mean is that even though MS abandon the mark, it doesn't mean that I can take the game and release it without permission because it would be violation of their copyright.

Also even though its MS own game, Beep is probably self funding it which is why it's being released through id@xbox. I've personally contacted MS before about using one their IPs which they haven't renewed the trademark on and I was told that the game would have to be released through id@xbox because I would be self funding and self publishing.

Top Bottom