• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Democrats are falling for fake news about Russia

Air

Banned
It's kind of incredible how the internet as a tool to inform people has become an ever increasing pool of disinformation.

shamanick

Yep, I keep trying to tell people that Louise Mensch is full of shit, but it doesn't help when people like Bill Maher and Keith Olbermann et al give her a platform.

and Joy Reid and the NYT

I haven't seen any of these stories on my social media groups, while I've seen the Seth Rich thing from some of my friends on the far left who have been refusing to believe anything Russia related.

For what it's worth.

I haven't seen anything on the "far left" websites I read about Seth Rich, so maybe your friends are not really representative

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Xe4

Banned
It should be noted that Taylor was correct regarding the closed door sessions in the Eastern District of Virgina federal court. Many took the approval by the court for US Marshalls to begin an operation linked to Russia inteference in US election as meaning they would start arresting suspects. That's not what was being suggested. We do know that there are sealed indictments linked to TrumpRussia issued by the same court as well. We know for a fact that there are multiple investigations into GOP operatives and their cosy relations with the Kremlin/Russian intelligence. The Taylor/Mensch piece was a garbled mess that doesn't do their credibility and favours. But it's worth clarifying what was being said....

I don't take Mensch seriously but Taylor and Schindler do have extensive contacts within the judicial and intelligence communities.
Taylor and Schindler frequently cooperate with Mensch, and have no reason to properly vet their sources. Furthermore the majority of their presictiona can either be right or not wrong. There is no falsifiability with their claims, and no properly vetted sources. I don't think they qualify as fake news (crazy made up bullshit), but its no better than a high school rumor mill, and the inveatigation would be better off without them. I see no reason to see Taylor and Schindler as more trustworthy than Mensch.

Rembrandt

Banned
I read this and part of just thinks, "good". Fake news has served the gop well for 30 some years now. If a fake story is what it takes to get your friend to the voting booth... I can live with that I think. If the Dems don't do it, a fake gop story will likely get them there to vote for Ronald McDonald or whoever they running this year instead.

Gonna get annoying real fast if distrust of traditional, credible outlets continue to drop.

I never heard of the site, the authors or the rumors before this article. But these fake news sites are absolutely going to take advantage of the trump/russian connections for hits and ad revenue. We just don't need a left wing tea party or something.

It's kind of incredible how the internet as a tool to inform people has become an ever increasing pool of disinformation.
I remember making a thread back in 2010 or so saying that it feels that this has become an Era of Misinformation. I remember noting with the growing prevalence of smartphones Internet connectivity was high and that you could now find a community for any topic, viewpoint, hobby, etc. Also that they essentially created people trapped in social bubbles.

Lime

For a lot of Democrat politicians, it's more important to talk about Russian conspiracies than single payer healthcare or taxing the rich.

I guess it's easier to blame some outside force than it is to fix one's own problems. No wonder the Denocrats seem so completely out of touch.

Good. There are people who are gonna hide themselves away from rational society and tinfoil hat themselves through life anyway, may as well trick them into doing something good with their vote. The right has preyed on them exclusively for too long.

Just wait for the left to get power, then worry about how they got there and wring your hands over the morality of exploiting the uneducated later.

Top Bottom