• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait, a NEO GEO flash card? wtf?

I thought the system was basically a collector's piece, is there any demand for a flash card? I know some Neo Geo carts are very expensive, but woa, isn't it a little too late for this?

768 Mbits of flash memory, enough to hold the largest officially released games, plus some extra space for system software.
ARM Cortex M4 at 168MHz, 1MB flash, 128KB RAM. For SD access, Flash programming, cartridge control and original cartridge protections emulation.
2x Lattice XP2 FPGA. Flash based, instant-on, low power, high density FPGAs. For bus decoding and multiplexing, flash access, bank switching, programming help.
Supports micro SD & SDHC cards up to 32GB. FAT32 with long file names.
User friendly game selection menu with game screenshots.
Instant boot to the last flashed game. It appears as an original cartridge to the board, and can use the bios softdips configuration with the original cart.
Runs original games unpatched, emulating the original cartridge protections in hardware.
Ability to boot to the game flash menu from in-game (configurable trigger combination)
Can be used for game development. Allows the homebrew games to access expanded hardware features (S rom banking, increased bank area space).
Updateable system software and firmware for future additions and features.
Switch cartridge region without needing special bios.
MVS board AES emulation without needing special bios.

http://vgleaks.com/review-neosd-mvs/

flash me if old

Peltz

I thought the system was basically a collector's piece, is there any demand for a flash card? I know some Neo Geo carts are very expensive, but woa, isn't it a little too late for this?

flash me if old

Collectors like flash carts, too. There is nothing shocking about it.

Half the people who post in the Retro-GAF Unite thread use flash carts regularly. Even I have one for the Virtual Boy to play the Bound High! (never released) prototype ROM. It makes way more sense than purchasing reproductions of unreleased material.

There's no better way to play unreleased stuff and fan translations (although this is less relevant for Neo Geo games) than on original hardware through a flash cart.

Jebusman

Banned
I can't imagine demand was high (or even existent), but it is still definitely impressive.

And yeah it definitely helps for a collector who owns some/all the titles but does not want to risk harm to them in the system. Just slap the roms for all your games on a single flashcart and away you go.

Speaking of which though, is there even still a reliable way to dump NeoGeo carts?

Thanks for reminding me to eventually blow all my money on a Neo Geo. It's one of my all-time favorite systems, even though I've never owned one.

This flashcart costs $380, so basically just as much as a NeoGeo AES, maybe even more.
Wow.

Sadly, I have neither the console nor arcade board to be able to utilize this flashcart.

flash me if old

Because of the high prices demanded for many NeoGeo games there is a HUGE demand for a NeoGeo flash cart.

If this is the same flashcart that's been in development for a bit the price is going to be 400 US last time I saw it mentioned (at 380 euros right now thats about 417 US so same difference). They're starting with the MVS version and then going to do an AES version. Flash carts aren't cheap. The Genesis and SNES everdrives are just under 200 US, and the NeoGeo having 2 boards and a way more complicated set up (in regards to rom chips and such) is going to make it more expensive.

Vitacat

Some of those guys are paying thousands of $$$ for Neo Geo carts, so (1) they have money, and (2) a flash cart lets them keep their originals pristine.

ToD_

The load times can be a little long, which is sort of understandable given the size of the romsets, and the price is high. However, some MVS carts are more expensive than the flashcart, so it could be of value to some.

That stretched 16:9 image on the LCD screen looks hideous.

Cleve

Yep, I'm in. Shame about the 4 min flash times, but I'll deal with it. Kinda wish it had several banks of flashed games to swap between more quickly.

This thing is MVS only? That seems weird since AES games are the ones with the crazy prices.

I own an MVS, but $500 seems to be a crazy asking price, though I guess that's inline with pricing of flash carts like the Everdrives. Isn't the SNES one like $200?

Anyways, I'd think multicarts would be a better investment.

Price; ouch. I have a good selection of games but a flashcart would be great for the few expensive carts but for this price a cheap 100?-in-1 for ~$100 is probably more within reason.

lherre

Accurate
Price; ouch. I have a good selection of games but a flashcart would be great for the few expensive carts but for this price a cheap 100?-in-1 for ~$100 is probably more within reason.

But those are bootlegs right?

Cleve said:
Yep, I'm in. Shame about the 4 min flash times, but I'll deal with it. Kinda wish it had several banks of flashed games to swap between more quickly.

Only in the process to flash a new game. If you want to play the last game flashed it is instantaneous.

L.O.R.D

so,every time you want to change the game you have to flash the cartridge?
if that true,wont that hurt the cartridge if you flash it too many times?

IrishNinja

okay, so FPGA - is this gonna be the go-to one we've been waiting for? ive seen some cool 151/etc in 1's but have always been told like half are hacks/etc, id kill for a fully compatible flashcart for an AES

That bios-free region switching sounds awesome.

oh yeah, this'd be amazing too!

ToD_

okay, so FPGA - is this gonna be the go-to one we've been waiting for? ive seen some cool 151/etc in 1's but have always been told like half are hacks/etc, id kill for a fully compatible flashcart for an AES

Some, or maybe all, of the multi game carts have some issues. Besides a good chunk of the games being hacks, even some non-hacked versions have issues like sprite glitches or sound problems. Nothing game breaking, I believe, but not entirely faithful either. And, of course, all of the multi game carts are missing games so you will still end up having to switch carts with them.

I'm hopeful this flash cart will get some thorough testing and will prove to be as good as it sounds. I'll likely bite once there is a positive consensus.

I too would like to see one for the AES, since those carts are the most expensive. I wonder if it works with one of those MVS->AES converters.

lherre

Accurate
Some, or maybe all, of the multi game carts have some issues. Besides a good chunk of the games being hacks, even some non-hacked versions have issues like sprite glitches or sound problems. Nothing game breaking, I believe, but not entirely faithful either. And, of course, all of the multi game carts are missing games so you will still end up having to switch carts with them.

I'm hopeful this flash cart will get some thorough testing and will prove to be as good as it sounds. I'll likely bite once there is a positive consensus.

I too would like to see one for the AES, since those carts are the most expensive. I wonder if it works with one of those MVS->AES converters.

This is the thing I was refering in my previous post. I'm sure the multi-cart games have a lot of issues that this kind of thing won't have.

This thing is MVS only? That seems weird since AES games are the ones with the crazy prices.

I own an MVS, but $500 seems to be a crazy asking price, though I guess that's inline with pricing of flash carts like the Everdrives. Isn't the SNES one like $200?

They're starting with the MVS version and then going to do an AES version.

Serge85

Well....first of all there are way, way more users of MVS than AES (specially now that consolizing a MVS is trendy)

And second, MVS games are rising up in price (they aren't crazy as AES, but they aren't cheap either), for example, Garou mark of the wolves : 200 USD, Metal Slug 5 : 250 USD, Pulstar : 300 USD, Wind Jammers : 200 USD.

TimeKillr

Well....first of all there are way, way more users of MVS than AES (specially now that consolizing a MVS is trendy)

And second, MVS games are rising up in price (they aren't crazy as AES, but they aren't cheap either), for example, Garou mark of the wolves : 200 USD, Metal Slug 5 : 250 USD, Pulstar : 300 USD, Wind Jammers : 200 USD.

What? Garou is now worth 200USD? Where did you see this?

I have a bunch of MVS carts (including Garou, heh). Maybe I'd make a killing selling them. I paid like 50 bucks for it too, so I really have a hard time understanding why MVS prices are steadily going up.. This makes no sense, really. Windjammers was routinely under 100$ as it's not even that rare to begin with, but it just sells stupid quick whenever someone puts one up for sale.

Serge85

What? Garou is now worth 200USD? Where did you see this?

I have a bunch of MVS carts (including Garou, heh). Maybe I'd make a killing selling them. I paid like 50 bucks for it too, so I really have a hard time understanding why MVS prices are steadily going up.. This makes no sense, really. Windjammers was routinely under 100$ as it's not even that rare to begin with, but it just sells stupid quick whenever someone puts one up for sale.

Check completed listings on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Gyrian

so,every time you want to change the game you have to flash the cartridge?
if that true,wont that hurt the cartridge if you flash it too many times?

They say they're using flash rated at 100,000 cycles, meaning you could swap games 10 times a day for 30 years.

Galdelico

I've always used flash carts, means I don't have to touch my games and get them dirty :)

As weird and disturbing as it sounds (to me, personally, of course), that doesn't seem an uncommon mentality. A good friend of mine recently blown almost a grand on a complete KoF2003 AES set, just to... Put it on a shelf, never get the plastic of the cart scratched by actual usage with his NG console, and keep playing the game on an emulator. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guess he would be all over a flash cart for the system.

Serge85

Well it is what it is....some mvs games are very expensive....this flashcart have a market, (those multicarts for example, are missing a lot of games)

Not that surprising as while the system is newer the best GBA flash cart just came out this year. The Everdrives I've bought have been great purchases and would recommend them.

Still seems ass backwards to me.

If I remember right I believe the developer also said that MVS was the easier one to dev first and that the AES one would be harder.

*edit* Looks like this isn't Darksoft's board I thought it was my complete and total fuck up there so I don't know if these particular devs are going to make an AES one. Darksoft is working on an MVS and AES solution as well.

Do you think krikzz would ever make a Neo Everdrive?

He's been asked about it but I think he said it would be too expensive for him to consider it. I'll have to double check that.

IrishNinja

looks like i'm gonna have to pay off some bills & find an AES whenever that thing's done! was leaning towards kevtris' FPGA thing but id rather play on OG hardware where i can

related: what's a good arcade stick for the NG?

Do you think krikzz would ever make a Neo Everdrive?

He's been asked about it but I think he said it would be too expensive for him to consider it. I'll have to double check that.

yeah, i wanna say i also recall him mentioning far more specialty chips across what's gotta be the longest gen, and how prohibitively expensive it might be - i specifically recall him saying it's doable, but that he's not interested

related: what's a good arcade stick for the NG?

The SNK AES and Neo Geo CD arcade sticks are pretty good, but I use one of these and love it:

LUkCI7F.jpg

IrishNinja

whoah, that looks sharp - what's the build quality like? and are those rapid fire buttons?! cause if so, i'm sold! hopefully that thing's not hundreds of dollars, haha. god knows ive a great PS3 stick i wish i could use on more systems like this somehow!

Build quality is solid, definitely an advantage over the SNK sticks, and yes those are rapid fire toggle switches.

You can find them for around 50-90 bucks on ebay.

Top Bottom