• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros CEO: "Suicide Squad Release was a disappointment"

Dazraell

Warner Bros execs figuring out why Suicide Squad flopped is like in that skit from South Park with Kanye figuring out the fishsticks joke

At least the title of the game got something right: justice. Justice at its finest.

I hope a bunch of people get fired after this in order to prevent a complete studio shutdown after the next inevitable failure.

ProtoByte

Zaslav is a disappointment for humanity.

You fucking think, you cancerous ghoul?

Zaslav is a disappointment, and needs to go.

Sadly, now most likely this means RIP Rocksteady.

Is he the last person to find out or something?

Game was in development years before Zaslav or Discovery were in the picture.

As has also been pointed out, this wasn't necessarily forced on Rocksteady. That being said, previous management was stupid to let them do this.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
this is how we do it right? We make these big shots lose money when they make bad games. I didn’t buy this or Gotham Knights. What we will get is probably some stupid Batman mobile game.

Last edited:

stn

Apparently they're running MK into the ground slowly, too. What a bunch of useless fucks running that company.

Guilty_AI

First I dont think I dont think we going to see "crash" and even we do is not gonna magically fix industry's problem.

Also there is also good solution without the "crash" exist and GAF is not gonna like it. Do what Godzilla Minus One did, we dont need stupid amount of money to make high quality games like having highest tech graphics and hire celebrity for games.

Armored Core VI is one favourite games this gen, it was SUPER FUN it didn't need crazy budget to make it......in fact most Japanese developers stopped chasing graphic race and they are better for it.
We already are seeing signs of decay. You and others ignoring the western AAA market are indicators of such already. And you aren't alone, even younger generations are slowly dropping the "big shiny games", shifting towards either older or more budget titles like the ones i've shown you - or the ones you're refering - because they offer so much value for far more affordable prices, even if this shift hasn't happened fully yet. Not surprising given the current economical state of the world.

Companies like EA, Microsoft, Ubisoft, even Sony to certain degrees, have grown too bloated, their management going out of control because the people manning the ship don't understand the videogame market very well. They spend and waste too much money making games and have harder time justifying their costs. As a result their output suffer while chasing larger publics, in many cases even trying to pass the cost on to costumers, and said costumers aren't having it anymore.

The reason the JP market is still sustaining itself is due to the corporate culture of Japan. It's very common there for workers to remain on the same company for their whole carrers. That means the likes of Nintendo and Capcom have been retaining and nurturing talent that understand the inner and outer workings of an esoteric industry like videogames for a long time. Unlike in the west where cycling through employees is a common practice for large corps.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How is that going to fix anything? Will crash suddenly make corporation less greedy towards money? Is the AAA games going cost less?
The AAA industry has turned into a machine that makes prohibitively expensive, bland, low risk, woke, soulless, same-y entertainment products.

Of course a crash wouldn’t make corporations less greedy or make AAA games cost less, but it would hopefully mean that less of this soulless shit gets made, and many of the talented and passionate people working for shitty big corporations would move on to smaller and more sustainable game studios. While all the grifters, bean counters, useless middle managers, and activists would be forced to get a job that benefits society (such as flipping burgers, or perhaps cleaning + maintaining the burger flipping robots).

Hey, I can dream.

hinch7

Chasing the golden goose. Gets shit in return. Good.

They didn't deserve Rocksteady.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I am going to "sadly" them. They really had no choice but to follow the live service shit model that WB is pushing on all the big franchises. Look at MK1 also as another example. NRS had no choice but to follow it also and the live service garbage is a part of MK1 also.

WB and Zaslav are trash

The blurb literally says the WB management did not force any ideas on them and it was Rocksteady's own decision.

They, themselves, wanted to chance the trend and it didn't work out for them. WB and Zazlav are bad, but not in this particular example.

• The “live service looter shooter” angle was reportedly not forced by management, but it was Rocksteady’s leadership who made the decision to pursue the game instead of alternatives.

Neon Xenon

Suicide Squad is one of the most cynical game releases that I've seen in a while. I'm happy to watch its continued failure.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ah the usual, if it weren't for the menz we'd be driving flying cars or the whole Earth would be Wakanda (the fictional Africa that has to exist because of the state of the real one).

What the heck is this about? Why we gotta stoop this low with trash comments like this? So no Africa has to be in your crosshairs too?

The blurb literally says the WB management did not force any ideas on them and it was Rocksteady's own decision.

They, themselves, wanted to chance the trend and it didn't work out for them. WB and Zazlav are bad, but not in this particular example.

Rocksteady doesn't exist in a vacuum. Warner Bross's wokeness is only surpassed by Disney. Rocksteady has replaced highly capable individuals by trash-tier ones, as a result of an HR policy that cascades down from the top. It's cynical of them to pretend they are not involved in this failure.

The same applies to big corporations like Amazon, MS or Disney, which have an official code of production imposed on all the creatives across their different divisions.

Top Bottom