• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

leeh

It's in no dev's best interest to be platform exclusive, but that doesn't stop platforms from having exclusives.

What you're saying basically amounts to platform begging, and unless I missed something it's against the rules on this forum.
Its completely in their interest considering how much visibility/publicity MS have gave this game. They're indie devs with a huge public presence, they must be very grateful towards MS with that, feeling they have a lot of confidence in their title.

This game will easily become as successful as Ori has been.

It's almost time! maybe I just completely missed it in my excitement for this game but has anyone else realized this is going to be a digital-only release?

If any indie game had the charm of needing a physical release, including a collectors edition with a couple of mugs its Cuphead in my opinion, this game is art.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just want to say it seems the game's really blowing up, I hope it does well for the whole Cuphead team since I know making the game was a struggle. And right now since it's in the spotlight, I thought it was worth bringing up this thread and info again.

gamz

I just want to say it seems the game's really blowing up, I hope it does well for the whole Cuphead team since I know making the game was a struggle. And right now since it's in the spotlight, I thought it was worth bringing up this thread and info again.

I was thinking about this thread this morning. I'm sure they are doing cartwheels right now. Looks like a big hit.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
seems to be doing really well! i'm happy for them.

i will definitely pick it up but i have too many games to play right now.

I got it on GOG. The art style is unique even though it's a replication of ye olde times. Being a fan of old water-colour background cartoons, I approve!

Excellent news for the team. Cuphead seems to be arriving with power and magnitude so hopefully it'll be a massive hit for them and continue to make waves.

It's in no dev's best interest to be platform exclusive, but that doesn't stop platforms from having exclusives.

What you're saying basically amounts to platform begging, and unless I missed something it's against the rules on this forum.

Its completely in their interest considering how much visibility/publicity MS have gave this game. They're indie devs with a huge public presence, they must be very grateful towards MS with that, feeling they have a lot of confidence in their title.

This game will easily become as successful as Ori has been.

Yeh it's complicated, generally it would make sense to be in as many places as you can be. But even if you minus the additional programming, testing, certification, costs etc for launching on multiple platforms simultaneously — you still need publishing and promotional assistance to make your indie game known from the oceans of others competing for attention. For a smaller studio, that can make an insane amount of differ nice to the success of your game.

Anyways glad to see that their gamble has worked out for them.

The decision to not put this on PS4 is baffling. Do these guys not like money? Learn from the Tomb Raider situation, that did not work out well and its already an established franchise. Seems like they shot themselves in the foot here.

PS: No fanboyism I own both consoles so I can play it either way.

What's the lesson from RoTR? Game sold well on Xbox (1 million just in the holiday period), likely continued to sell well after that and it did well on other platforms after as well.

There are way worse case studies for exclusivity not paying off, such as SFV, that didn't grabbed the sales or the staying community...

DJwest

What's the lesson from RoTR? Game sold well on Xbox (1 million just in the holiday period), likely continued to sell well after that and it did well on other platforms after as well.

There are way worse case studies for exclusivity not paying off, such as SFV, that didn't grabbed the sales or the staying community...
Come on, ROTR did not do well. I remember it didn't even chart during its month of release in the US. The reboot in 2013 sold way more. And yeah, SFV is also a major disappointment.

Keinning

I love how the "don't the devs like money?" argument always pops up for games not being on playstation but never for playstation exclusives not being on other consoles because... xbox, pc and nintendo owners money isn't really worth it i guess?

Every game would benefit more if they could have versions for every platform known to man but the reasons they aren't are diverse and might include a platform holder supporting/straight up paying for the game, development costs, no interest from the devs in doing a port, etcetera etcetera. It's pointless to narrow it down to "devs leaving money on the table", devs are way smarter than most gamers give them credit for.

DJwest

I love how the "don't the devs like money?" argument always pops up for games not being on playstation but never for playstation exclusives not being on other consoles because... xbox, pc and nintendo owners money isn't really worth it i guess?
Really? How long have you been on this board? You really only see port begging for non PS exclusives?

Keinning

Really? How long have you been on this board? You really only see port begging for non PS exclusives?

long enough. with the excuse that the devs don't like money? yeah, it's mostly playstation users (since they have the bigger userbase to use as "proof"). switch users talk about portability and xbox users... dunno, the cloud?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
long enough. with the excuse that the devs don't like money? yeah, it's mostly playstation users (since they have the bigger userbase to use as "proof"). switch users talk about portability and xbox users... dunno, the cloud?

As a primary PC gamer but one who owns most consoles (and all current ones), I can say PC Gamers do it just in a different way. PC Gamers (as a general whole, there obviously will be exceptions) less want things to stay exclusive on PC as much as they want exclusives on consoles to come to PC. So it's different, but it's own form of it I guess. Sort of, "look, we don't mind and in fact like previously PC exclusive games to go to consoles to find new successes, but you better dang bring over those console exclusive games to PC. Money sitting on the table."

I wonder if the similar but different generalization is because PC games library is fucking huge and just grows over time, though.

katsais

Interesting story. Good thing MS was available to fund help with funding.
/s

I guess I’ll wait for th sequel since I don’t own an Xbox One.

kubev

It'll be interesting to see sales figures for this (assuming that we get to see them). I think it was a wise move to release the game on Steam, although I bought it on Xbox One because of Play Anywhere. I'm really enjoying the game so far, and I really hope that this game is popular enough to have made it worth it for the developers to take such a risk.

Sami+

Every game would benefit more if they could have versions for every platform known to man but the reasons they aren't are diverse and might include a platform holder supporting/straight up paying for the game, development costs, no interest from the devs in doing a port, etcetera etcetera. It's pointless to narrow it down to "devs leaving money on the table", devs are way smarter than most gamers give them credit for.

Why tf is this even happening for this game anyway? It's on PC and doesn't have high requirements. The devs signed a deal that worked out for them and the PC availability makes it pretty easily accessible.

Van Bur3n

Why tf is this even happening for this game anyway? It's on PC and doesn't have high requirements. The devs signed a deal that worked out for them and the PC availability makes it pretty easily accessible.

Indeed. Don't see why we're getting all of this "platform questioning" when basically anyone can play it if they have a computer (you should have a computer).

Come on, ROTR did not do well. I remember it didn't even chart during its month of release in the US. The reboot in 2013 sold way more. And yeah, SFV is also a major disappointment.

It might not have been a sales monster, but it did well, even SE said they were ok with the performance.

And of course the Reboot sold more, it launched on more platforms, and has a longer time on the market with more sales.

But given the 1 million during holidays Ms reported and the current 1.7 million units on steam (the second best TR to date on steam, behind only the 2013 reboot) that's 2.7 million for 2 platforms alone. A potential extra 200-500k for 360 and tail sales for xbone, and another million on Ps4 and over 4 million units isn't that far fetched.

That's like, a completely different league from SFV.

hzsn724

I bought it and couldn't be happier. I am completely addicted and obsessed. Its one of those "just one more time" kind of games, but this is one is pretty special. It's like a schizophrenic nightmare and I just can't wait to see what's next. Brilliant game and worth every penny if you like challenging run and gunners.

Rizific

Hopefully these guys can pay off their mortgages now and then some. Their game is fucking great and deserves recognition and massive success.

mas8705

Hopefully we'll get a followup to this story after Cuphead has been out for a while. I'd like to think that if the demand or Cuphead was so high that the Store servers crashed for a couple hours, that might be a good sign (although you had people giving Cuphead 1 star just because "WE CAN'T DOWNLOAD IT!" when it was more on Microsoft's side than the Developer's)

N7.Angel

The only problem I have with this game, is that it's probably too hard for the casual players. ( and no online coop, real bummer here )

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Man, returning to this thread and regarding the OP---congrats to the developers. This is an amazing cinderella story.

The only problem I have with this game, is that it's probably too hard for the casual players. ( and no online coop, real bummer here )

I had my mother play Cuphead with me yesterday, and it took us about half an hour to do the frog fight together. She got frustrated but she told me she stayed for the art!

Yes it's anecdotal but I do think the artstyle is a real pull for casual players.

Artanisix

????

not trying to start console wars in a cuphead thread but the amount of times i've seen a random gaffer post "wow dis game wud be great on the switch" is ridiculous. it's like passive-aggressive port begging in literally every thread with a non-nintendo game

kswiston

It might not have been a sales monster, but it did well, even SE said they were ok with the performance.

And of course the Reboot sold more, it launched on more platforms, and has a longer time on the market with more sales.

But given the 1 million during holidays Ms reported and the current 1.7 million units on steam (the second best TR to date on steam, behind only the 2013 reboot) that's 2.7 million for 2 platforms alone. A potential extra 200-500k for 360 and tail sales for xbone, and another million on Ps4 and over 4 million units isn't that far fetched.

That's like, a completely different league from SFV.

The first reboot Tomb Raider was at 3.4 million by the end of March 2013 (its launch month)

Hope the devs make enough to make all their dreams come true. Just completed the second world and it’s been a long time since I’ve played a game that gave me these feelings. Super impressed with not just the graphical style and rewarding gameplay, but the overall polish too. Recommended it to all of my friends after playing about 10 minutes!

Kinyou

It's one of those games where you can really see the passion poured into it. Hope it does really well

Interesting story. Good thing MS was available to fund help with funding.
/s

I guess I’ll wait for th sequel since I don’t own an Xbox One.
Not sure what you mean by that. They're not the game's publisher

Indelible

Bought this on Steam last night, the artistic vision of this game is astounding. I really hope it pays off for them and they can make more games in the future.

sirdudeoi

Neo Member
Congratulations to the devs! I've been playing with my daughter, and even though it's a tough game we are both having a blast.

Cynn

I swear now the moment they release this on disc I will buy a Xbox one just for this and Ori 1/2

(Collector)
You’re taking this “collector” thing a bit far. Refusing to play or support a game because you can’t plop a hunk of plastic on the wall is silly. I’m a collector as well but I don’t let that stop me from supporting great studios. I just buy a disc later when someone like Limited Run produces one.

sibarraz

Banned
I hope that cuphead sells a lots of units, this most be one of the most well crafted games that I had ever seen in my life, you can really tell that both brothers and their team had a lot of pasión for cartoons, 2d videogames and run and gun games

As much as Microsoft has made lots of questionable decisions regarding AAA games, I have to give props to them for sticking with some awesome AA games like Cuphead or Ori, this kind of games are great pulls for their play anywhere initiative

DMiz

Massive kudos to them. The game looks amazing and has been winning some great critical praise as an indie darling that has been elevated to a certain status.

Looking forward to their next works! I imagine that they are going to take a break for some time, unless there were already plans/moves to make a sequel. I'm not sure how eager its current fan base will be -- but I'm always up to be surprised with more indie success stories.

Top Bottom