• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

dickroach

they should have released Cuphead as the boss rush game they had ready two years ago, and then used the profits from that to develop Cuphead 2 :\

Gestault

But that's not true. They have been supporting and updating the game. There is no evidence that it has been "kept firmly out of the spotlight by Sony". There's no evidence that Sony has even been involved in any way since after launch.

Respectfully, if you don't see a difference in how the communications have been handled before and after the post-launch backlash, I don't think anything I can say would convince you. I'm not talking about game updates.

Granjinha

The design of the game doesn't really mesh with taking on the kind of risk they did.

Their target demographic is too niche. This is not at all like No Man's Sky.

The public's responde disagrees with you. It's also kinda silly to say that something "doesn't really mesh with taking risks" since we don't really know what is going to be a hit or not. Especially in the indie scene.

I'm pretty sure Cuphead is going to do fairly well, especially if it's a quality product (which i think it is)

RomeoDog

Banned
They could have released the boss rush mode a 3 person team for cuphead 1 and than expand for cuphead 2.

That's how some do it. Than again I bet the boss fights are really refined and rewarding at this point.

Kei-

I have this pre-ordered on Windows store/Xbox One, if someone buys this on Steam, will w3 be able to play together?

Shin

Banned
The game looks great and it's one out of 4 XBOX titles I'll be buying, I'm wondering something though.
With so much at risk why did they go for exclusive instead of more platforms instead of XB/PC, seems a bit odd.

WadeitOut

I just can't see this game not selling well. Even if it ends up being a mediocre game the hype alone will sell it.

I can't wait to play it.

Wereroku

Did Microsoft sponsor them in some way (regarding "fantastic get by Microsoft)?

It was announced as a Xbox lifetime exclusive along with Ashen. However Ashen is now a console launch exclusive but I haven't seen any updates on Cuphead so I assume it is still exclusive. The conference footage didn't say anything at all about exclusivity only that it was a play anywhere title.

The game looks great and it's one out of 4 XBOX titles I'll be buying, I'm wondering something though.
With so much at risk why did they go for exclusive instead of more platforms instead of XB/PC, seems a bit odd.

The exclusive stuff was announced with it's original reveal and scope when they were a 3 person team doing a boss rush game. I haven't seen any updates so I just default to exclusive still. Sadly it was one of the few games at their E3 conference that said nothing about exclusivity.

I hope it does well for them. Every year at E3 since its reveal I've gone "Oh yeah, Cuphead exists, and it looks awesome!" Can't wait for it to finally be out.

hawk2025

Respectfully, if you don't see a difference in how the communications have been handled before and after the post-launch backlash, I don't think anything I can say would convince you. I'm not talking about game updates.

Respectfully, I genuinely don't understand what yours or his point is, then.

If it's about release product quality, how is drawing a parallel between a released and an unreleased game relevant?

Really hope that MS don't screw these guys over like they did to Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Nothing major comes out on September 29th other than Fifa 18. It'll probably be the only indie game released on that day on Xbox. MS isn't gonna screw them. Every Xbox One owner has been waiting for this since it was first revealed back in 2014.

Leatherface

These guys made the RIGHT choice. I seriously can not fucking wait to play this. As far as I'm concerned and even without playing a single minute, Cuphead is already an artistic achievement of epic proportions. This game can completely suck and I will still love it just for that reason alone.

It's a gamble that could easily have backfired on the brothers. Hello Games and its overly ambitious No Man's Sky is a prime example of a studio throwing everything they have at the game and, for the most part, failing to meet expectations
Err... The game was a massive success and with the number of copies sold I'm absolutely sure they made a profit off of it.

People need to stop calling games they dislike unsuccessful. The game was overly ambitious and didn't meet expectations in terms of what we expected from its gameplay loop, but in terms of devs quitting jobs and remortgaging houses, meeting the sales of No Man's Sky would be a win.

Hello Games made out like bandits.

They should hope they "fail" like Hello Games.
Ahh... Someone else already said it.

Trup1aya

Even if the game is trash I'm gonna buy it just because of how beautiful it is...

looks like I'll enjoy myself, so I'm not worried

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
That is quite the bet. I hope it pays off for them but quite frankly this is not a game I would put all my money in. I love the art, that's it. It will probably sell ok on Steam but I don't see it selling more than 20.000 copies on console. It's as niche as they get.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Thais is the reason why I think I might buy this game regardless.

While it looks stunning, from a gameplay perspective it's really not vibing with me. But fuck man, these guys have risked it all to make this happen and I know if I was in their shoes, I'd want every single sale possible so I think I might buy this anyway.

EmiPrime

01.jpg

I am ready. Roll on September.

Rhete

Banned
I think you guys are massively overestimating how much appeal a run and gun platformer has outside the enthusiast market. No Mans Sky isn't a fair comparison at all, that game had mainstream appeal, you had Sean Murray doing talk show appearances for gods sake.

For a more fair comparison, Hollow Knight came out this year, was also developed by a 3 person team, and has sold 280k~ copies on Steam, with half of those being the last few days during the steam sale. Not bad by any means, so hopefully Cuphead will be profitable with sales roughly in that ballpark.

Top Bottom