• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We really need a game with Dinosaurs

SToRM

It is not out yet, but VR game Robinson: The Journey, which was announced at Sony's Paris Games Week conference, looked pretty good.
The trailer is very impressive and really gave me that Jurassic Park vibe.

I was watching JP yesterday, and yes it's time, the technology is here, it just feels right for a triple A game that involves Dinosaurs to be made asap. I can't keep going back to snes jurassic Park any longer man.

Anyone?
Ever heard of Horizon:zero dawn?

Also, the goombas in the Mario games are actually evolved dinosaurs!

Xane

Nah, I think the feathers make them legitimately more unsettling to look at. It's unnerving to imagine running from something that skirts the line between bird and reptile, and to be honest I think the feathers could really help with the horror, especially in a well animated game that knows how to make use of the movement of bristling feathers on a very pissed off and hungry dinosaur who just saw you hiding in a bush. Shit would be terrifying.

Feathers all day.

You know it, brother. #TeamFeathers

H178uBP.jpg

And there is a thread here.

sappyday

I would actually love a first person survival game that takes place after the dinosaurs get loose in Jurrasic World. It's just you and all these dinosaurs on this island.

drotahorror

This is sort of off topic but this thread reminded me of it. Wasn't there a game shown at last years E3 where you play some sort of primitive human, this is frustrating I really can't think of the name of it or any more details. I thought it was shown at the ubisoft conference but I never could find it in their upcoming games. I want to say it had the word 'wild' in it but I don't think so.

Ok, it was called WIld hah - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_(video_game)

ajim

Why in all the years of gamin we still don't have anything like Dino Riders? Who wouldn't wanna be riding bad ass dinosaurs shooting laser beams and fighting and whatnot? It would be the greatest.

Somebody is finally going to make the great dinosaur game we've always wanted, and for the next 5 years every creatively bankrupt game will have dinosaurs too, and then we'll all hate dinosaurs like World War II.

I'm currently playing LEGO Jurassic World with my son and we're having quite a blast with it. You can play as the dinosaurs you find (amber) in the stages, which is quite cool for doing duels between a T-Rex and Spinosaurus, for example.

Jobbs

Banned
We need more than just a game that has dinosaurs. We need a horror game about dinosaurs. I want scary dinosaurs.

header.jpg

Unless you want a linear chest high wall fake movie.

I'd rather a dino game that's more enjoyable than scratching your eyes out with razor blades soaked in rubbing alcohol personally. There's a few out there yeah, but none of the recent stuff is particularly decent quality.

Is Ark online only?

Online only, one of the least optimized and unbalanced games on the market and it was supposed to be finished this month when announced and it's barely even at the halfway mark, if you can even call it that. There are massive progression affecting bugs that have been in since launch and still remain such as falling through the groun on death and losing all your items. Seriously, don't waste your time. I'm still ashamed for backing this trash.

NoblerThanWork

Neo Member
I want a Turok reboot that does the same justice to the originals as Doom has this year. Just super fast paced, knifing the shit out of dinosaurs and blowing away cyborg future savages.

Liljagare

Online only, one of the least optimized and unbalanced games on the market and it was supposed to be finished this month when announced and it's barely even at the halfway mark, if you can even call it that. There are massive progression affecting bugs that have been in since launch and still remain such as falling through the groun on death and losing all your items. Seriously, don't waste your time. I'm still ashamed for backing this trash.

It runs smooth as butter on both my 860M and 7870, it's been optimized fairly well. On my R390X, which also hosts, every setting is on ultra.

It also has private server mode, which is online offline, still requires a connection.

IMHO, no other game has come close to making the dinos look alive like ARK. :)

Fudo Myo

This thread then begs the question, what is the greatest dinosaur game of all time? For argument's sake, let's relegate this to "pure" dinosaurs, i.e. no Horizon or Monster Hunter.

It runs smooth as butter on both my 860M and 7870, it's been optimized fairly well. On my R390X, which also hosts, every setting is on ultra.

It also has private server mode, which is online offline, still requires a connection.

IMHO, no other game has come close to making the dinos look alive like ARK. :)

You must be joking right? I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously when you call this optimized. I can run the Witcher 3 on Ultra at 60. I can run Arma 3 at 60 on High. I can even get 60 out of Star Citizen on high and ARK runs at 20~ on medium/high. Oh and that 25% performance boost has been 'coming soon' since close to launch this time last year. I seriously doubt your 860M is outperforming my 970 and other peoples 980's which can't max it.

It has private servers but their netcode is a complete joke, the game suffers 10-30 second long pauses each and every time the server saves as a result. To further that they've spent the whole year trying to make their officials not run like crap and still failed at that goal repeatedly. It has offline but the game is practically unplayable in this sense since it's not balanced for it at all.

If we're talking lifelike dinos. I can hardly call a walking, running and biting animation lifelike especially when the AI is nothing more than run at person and attack with zero layers on top of that. They can't even figure out how to get around a rock because going any direction but straight forward isn't programmed into the AI.

Liljagare

You must be joking right? I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously when you call this optimized. I can run the Witcher 3 on Ultra at 60. I can run Arma 3 at 60 on High. I can even get 60 out of Star Citizen on high and ARK runs at 20~ on medium/high. Oh and that 25% performance boost has been 'coming soon' since close to launch this time last year. I seriously doubt your 860M is outperforming my 970 and other peoples 980's which can't max it.

Sorry, not joking, sounds like you had a bad experience. I still stand by and recommend it for people who want to see Dino's.. :)

Tried and tested on numerous computers, guess I had a lucky run.

We definitely do. But I there has just been one fantastic game with dinosaurs released on Wii U: Yoshi's Woolly World.
Gt0.1280x720.jpeg

Wooly World is a really good game, but despite the fact that Yoshi is considered a dinosaur, he's never scratched that dino itch for me.

My wife and I have been playing Ark. It's an interesting game that seems to be attempting to be a photorealistic take one games like Don't Starve or Minecrat but with dinosaurs. It's a fairly frustrating game. Items have a timer that determines when they vanish when not in a chest or on your person, which means that if you are killed, your stuff is probably gone. The progression is also gated by an experience system, which means that even if you have the materials to make something, you may note be able to until you grind out some XP (which thankfully comes from everything you do).

You can play offline in single player and couch co-op, but the game is not optimized for the co-op, so the text is neigh unreadable and the draw distance goes to shit.

Overall, I find it fun, but the game is not without major flaws. It is also not beginner friendly. Choosing the wrong area to start at can have you dying constantly to the more vicious dinosaurs.

This thread makes me really really wish that B.C. never got cancelled, that game sounded amazing.

For those that don't know it was a lionhead game that they were working on, the goal was that you would help guide a tribe of people throughout the era, helping them survive and evolve, with tribe members gaining experience and having their own classes. The game was set in the prehistoric time period and dinosaurs were a big part of it, along with another group of humanoids that were meant to be your main enemies.

Ptoponline was able to get a lot of footage from the game and gives a great overview of things we'll (sadly) never get to play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK9G4gZ0hMw

Part 2: (with dino's)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zGoPs_dkbI

Part 3: (Quest/npc interaction later in development).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdjnvqDsFLk

Saurian seems like our best hope for a new dinosaur game, I do hope it turns out well.

Amazing, never heard of this game.

I wish we could do a remake of this game with today's graphics :)
wPjgdOy.jpg

VMOKS28.png

Top Bottom