• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome @Majornelson to NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpance

His user name is the same as J Allard's XBL name. And he posted "see you at the office :)" before quickly editing it to something random. He's also been registered for ages and only posted for the first time today.

So potentially 3 high level MS PR execs recently joining in to conversations on GAF all at once. We could not be dream to be so lucky!

Iacobellis

Apparently Stealth edits of "see you at the office" happened, but there is no fast quote of said stealth edit post to catch that. And "Hiro Protagonist" is J's X-box Live Gamertag. But even then the "see you at the office," if true, is weird: J. left Microsoft years ago. And they didn't exactly announce him coming back and no one has said anything about him being back. So...

I'm just fueling the fire with accusations and he/she isn't confirming/denying they are/aren't J.

Wario caught my reply with the original post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80743765&postcount=1048

His user name is the same as J Allard's XBL name. And he posted "see you at the office :)" before quickly editing it to something random. He's also been registered for ages and only posted for the first time today.

He's also the main character of a fairly famous book.

I got a good question: Microsoft said they will not provide any personal information collected from the Kinect to any government agency. However we know they will share some of this info with their advertising partners. WHAT GUARANTEE DOE MICROSOFT GIVE US THAT THOSE 3rd PARTIES WON'T GIVE UP OUR INFO TO AGENCIES LIKE THE NSA.

it's ok, i can wait for your answer.

A prolix response is all you would get for this.

His ninja edits were sharingan'ed :O

dat Naruto love, spotted.

nib95

Banned
The thing about 'official reps' is well, NDAs, inherent (public) bias, and... their jobs on the line. ( that OS leak has probably cost someone his job)

It's probably the main reason why some people are kinda 'meh' on Larry being here. There's just more juiciness and drama coming from unofficial reps/anonymous company execs/leakers, whereas official reps will only repeat the official company line, clarify queries or share some non-NDA breaking inside stories at best.

People want more CBOATs & Verenduses, heck they'll even make do with more GopherDs.

There is a difference though. Insiders are not necessarily company employee's, spokes people or PR reps, just people with inside knowledge, often not personally affiliated with any said company or console.

Not to out Gopher, but afaik he's actually a developer. Which is why he posts so rarely, as he likely has a very strict NDA he has to abide to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
he can pop out of a cake for all i care haha

"Here's to you Mister Ballmer!"

(Oh god, what am I doing...)

Could Be Worse said:
He's also the main character of a fairly famous book.

Right, which is why I'm fueling the fire. I basically said the same thing in a fashion "anyone can take that handle. What makes people think it's J. himself besides that stealth edit? J's left MS. He hasn't been there for years."

Hence fueling the fire for some megaton they're waiting to pull or something. :p

Well, Nerd famous at least. It you've read Neuromancer you've probably read Snow Crash, but I don't know that many people who have ready Gibson to start with.

Gibson is Neuromancer. Gibson isn't Snow Crash. That's Neal Stephenson. ;)

JABEE

Right but the attitude towards his professional job is often disturbing.

I would say there are plenty who take it too far, but someone like Major Nelson and Albert are the face of their products. They take the interviews and they are deeply invested in this project.

There is nothing evil about doing the job they do, but as a consumer of information, you should always be aware of the reason something is being said.

If tomorrow, Adam Boyes started posting in every thread about PS4, I would be just as skeptical of their opinions and how on message they are.

He has a job to do and he does it. He functions as a community manager on his blog, just as people like Jeff Rubenstein used to do on the PlayStation Blog.

If those guys started wading into threads and tried reminding people about how powerful the PS4 was and how they were the #1 box for Netflix, you would be skeptical about whether it was his opinion as an individual or a talking point that his company wants to introduce to the equation.

I think people can take it too far and it doesn't seem like Major Nelson is even doing that. I think it's just an accumulation of the skepticism and mystery surrounding the product.

I think you would see the same reaction if someone like Bill Trinen came here and started talking about how the Wii U was more powerful than people thought and that you would see it when the games come out. Trust me. People would be right to be skeptical, especially if all evidence points to the opposite conclusion.

chadskin

After the E3 fiasco and in before the reorg, there was speculation J Allard could return to MS:

"On Windows Weekly ep. 315 (at the 1:44:13 mark) Mary Jo Foley shared a rumor that J. Allard might be making a return to Microsoft."

Link

That'd be cool, J Allard did good things for the original Xbox (and well, let's not talk about Zune and Kin and Courier, okay?)

TheSeks

After the E3 fiasco and in before the reorg, there was speculation J Allard could return to MS:

"On Windows Weekly ep. 315 (at the 1:44:13 mark) Mary Jo Foley shared a rumor that J. Allard might be making a return to Microsoft."

Link

Right, but there hasn't be announcement or anything since then, right? Either they're stealthily reintroducing him back to the X-box team with little fanfare or...?

That'd be cool, J Allard did good things for the original Xbox (and well, let's not talk about Zune and Kine and Courier, okay?)

To be fair, Zune was just bad timing with the iPod launching and dominating/too little, too late. Kine and Courier were kinda-neat ideas but didn't fully flesh out.

CoG

I doubt J Allard is coming back. It's even a worse place then when he left. Seriously spend your days burning through your millions doing sporting stuff or come back and report to Stephen Elop and Julie Larson-Green. Fuck that.

Here's a tough-but-fair Q for Mr. Hyrb: what's the logic for placing non-Microsoft services, such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, or Amazon Prime, behind the Xbox Live Gold pay-wall?

I understand there's some opportunity cost associated with a consumer spending time watching Netflix (and not buying and playing a game on Xbox, thereby shorting Microsoft whatever licensing fees the company would earn if the customer chose to spend his time differently), but virtually every other platform has gone the other way on that decision. Competitor game consoles, handhelds, phones... they all allow unfettered access to third-party streaming apps. It strikes some customers as unfair to charge a subscription fee (Gold) to access another service with a subscription fee. Fees to access fees.

Perhaps if Netflix on Xbox streamed at a higher bitrate or if there were Xbox-exclusive movies or TV shows on Netflix, placing the app behind a pay-wall might make sense. It certainly does for Microsoft-created content (Halo TV, 1 vs. 100, etc). The only logic I've seen on this point is that Microsoft seeks to create significant incentive for customers to purchase Gold. This makes sense for Microsoft's bottom line, but as an end consumer, it incentivizes me to watch streaming TV on other devices--counter the unique selling point of the new system ("One box, input one").

I suspect this is one of those "anti-consumer" policies that contributed to the recent backlash during the XB1 policy reveal. Customers were already uneasy with the Gold pay-wall for online multiplayer, but at least we justified it as the cost of occasional dedicated servers or upgrading Azure. Can you walk us through the decision calculus for sequestering third party apps like Netflix?

And welcome to GAF!

Barzul

Link

That'd be cool, J Allard did good things for the original Xbox (and well, let's not talk about Zune and Kin and Courier, okay?)
I remember seeing that but didn't make anything out of it at the time. J Allard might actually be back at the Xbox team.

Ronabo

Hey Major Nelson, important question.

Do you prefer Barbara Eden as the blonde Jeannie or as the brunette evil Jeannie?

I need my blazer and hoodie fix.

2524918-7597798465-alg-j.jpg

TheSeks

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's probably the main reason why some people are kinda 'meh' on Larry being here. There's just more juiciness and drama coming from unofficial reps/anonymous company execs/leakers, whereas official reps will only repeat the official company line, clarify queries or share some non-NDA breaking inside stories at best.

That's the issue... and not just because this is a MS rep... at the end of the day, it's their job.

They will be on message, they will deliver the talking points, they will spin... they're here to PR and will remain here as long as it is useful to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom