• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect of Resident Evil 7?

tesqui

I hope for something of a mix between Revelations 2 and REmake. Since those 2 games have proven to work and review way more positively than RE6.

We're probably getting RE6-2 though.

While this isn't everything you've asked for, I think you might like Revelations 2 if you haven't tried it. Notably it got better with each episode, as well.

No fixed camera angles or even what I'd consider tradition survival-horror, but it had some of the things you asked for right there, and I thought was enjoyable at least.

I certainly do appreciate that they did consider bringing a little bit of that traditional survivor horror back. One of the focal points in my post was about how fixed camera angles are important to traditional survival horror, to me. I would appreciate having these elements in place as they are what help to enhance the experience. I want to be scared, I need to not be in control. Fixed camera angles slows the game play down. The player can't simply walk forward and shoot at will. They have to plot their path out in front of them carefully and cautiously. Traditional horror mechanics reinforce the this game play style.

Regardless, I do think I will check out Revelations 2. I am still really hungry for some form of Survivor horror. And wouldn't mind something a little different to spice things up. I do fully expect not to have my palette of personal tastes completely filled in this day and age.

Just look at what Revelations 2 did and do something similar with AAA budget.

mb6MGsu.gif

sublimit

Banned
At its core i'm expecting another action shooter (although toned down a bit from RE6) with a superficial horror setting.

xVodevil

More horror, and atmosphere!
More "be glad for every single bullet, manage and survive!"
Less action and shooting everything that moves...

Yeah, pretty much. Everyone thinking you can't do horror/atmosphere in an action game are not people I agree with at all. Revelations 2 added some cool stuff to the RE lore while being very creepy at times but it played like an action game.

REV2 satisfied me from a story/atmosphere/gameplay standpoint whereas RE6 only satisfied me from a gameplay standpoint.

I'm expecting more of RE6 (and I hated RE6). It may have been critically panned but it sold well, and that's ultimately what matters most to a business. If they're smart they'll gravitate more towards RE5 and 4 for inspiration, both of those were fun even if they weren't scary.

I'm looking forward to Revelations 3 far, far more than RE7. And if they really are looking at Tomb Raider as inspiration, RE7 sounds like it will appeal even less to me than 6 did. Tomb Raider 2013 was an unbearable QTE-riddled mess.

Something closer to what REmake did, specially on the atmosphere part, at least the Revelations titles try to do that.

And Jill, I need some more Jill in my life lol, it's been like 6 years (storyline) since we knew something about her (apart from the mail to Barry on Rev2)

I'm expecting something along the lines of RE6, but with more of a horror focus. More than once, Capcom acknowledged that fans wanted a return to horror, and that Leon's campaign was the most well-received. At the same time, they've also expressed that they want the main series to have a broader appeal and more of an action focus than the sub-series (Revelations, and now REmake 2).

I'm fine with it, personally. I actually like modern Resident Evil games. They're a lot of fun, but it helps that I only really play them in co-op.

Revelations 2 was great and Capcom can really build on that.
The first post RE4 Resi that actually has working co-op partner duos that do not detract from the horror and tense atmosphere (rather adding to it, just google Glasps). Two guys/girls armed to the teeth just eliminate any sense of threat, making one of them almost completely helpless but still absolutely vital in many situations and exploration (while regularly splitting them up from their armed partner) was a great idea. If Capcom does it like that in RE7 then I'll actually be happy with if it, if they go back to RE5/RE6 shootybang-dudebro co-op they can throw the game off a cliff for all I care. Same with the 'Michael Bay approach to horror', though I really hope that they learned their lesson with Rev2. Sure, the game was more Silent Hill at times than classic Resi, not that that's a bad thing though.

Sure, Resi 0 did work with an armed partner system... but only because it was single-player only and constantly forced you to split the characters up. it was still a single-player experience through and through.

ONT2ams.png

(More thrills please! And puzzles!)
You missed the sexually suggestive imagery that makes up a true Resident Evil giraffe.

Gurish

Great OP man, personally I expect a more slower RE6, including stealth option TLOU style, more horror atmosphere but still lots of action, won't be close to the classics, they build REmake 2 for that.

Too bad during the entire marketing campaign of Revelations 2 they've stated only in a spinoff they could do ,,what old fans want".
RE6 still is the second best selling Capcom game. So it's probably gonna keep being pretty bad in the main series.

Too bad during the entire marketing campaign of Revelations 2 they've stated only in a spinoff they could do ,,what old fans want".
RE6 still is the second best selling Capcom game. So it's probably gonna keep being pretty bad in the main series.

Didn't Capcom say they were looking to go back to the horror roots in some capacity after the 6 backlash? Not that I believe them... but we could be surprised.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Didn't Capcom say they were looking to go back to the horror roots in some capacity after the 6 backlash? Not that I believe them... but we could be surprised.

Read the OP, I collected everything they've said, and yes, they've said it on multiple occasions over a span of 3 years.

Now what they consider horror is up in the air (and I personally don't really trust Capcom's definition of horror), but at the very least they want to try to make it more horror than RE6 is and think they should go a darker, more horrific way.

They've been backpedaling a bit on RE6 since its initial release and in talking about future direction, so I'm not sure how much of it will carry over.

It's safe to assume that they'll continue the action route, and iirc they've said as much. Whether or not it will be at the same level or higher is debatable, given that they've also spoken of reinforcing the horror and atmosphere elements ofrom the series alongside it. This has been said in the past between the development of RE5 and RE6, so take that with skepticism.

Co-op is in the bag. The series has always played with multiple playable characters, and co-op was part of their successful marketing campaigns of RE5 and RE6. The number of characters will likely be decreased to two pairs or just a single pair again.

Mercs still in.

The marked difference, at least hopefully, that I can expect is a much tighter and polished game with a clearer focus. It's likely to be its own experience as well, instead of trying to copy moments of past titles.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They've been backpedaling a bit on RE6 since its initial release and in talking about future direction, so I'm not sure how much of it will carry over.

It's safe to assume that they'll continue the action route, and iirc they've said as much. Whether or not it will be at the same level or higher is debatable, given that they've also spoken of reinforcing the horror and atmosphere elements ofrom the series alongside it. This has been said in the past between the development of RE5 and RE6, so take that with skepticism.

Co-op is in the bag. The series has always played with multiple playable characters, and co-op was part of their successful marketing campaigns of RE5 and RE6. The number of characters will likely be decreased to two pairs or just a single pair again.

Mercs still in.

The marked difference, at least hopefully, that I can expect is a much tighter and polished game with a clearer focus. It's likely to be its own experience as well, instead of trying to copy moments of past titles.

I want to clarify something, I don't expect Resident Evil 7 to not be an action game of some kind, I guess it's just debatable of what KIND of action game. Like, is this game going to be action-adventure more-so and increase the adventure game elements? Is it going to go bombastic like RE6 or beyond? Is it going to tone down the bombastic and go for a more atmospheric kind? There is no way in hell they are ditching co-op, and to be honest I am 100% okay with that, I like co-op games, and I think they know part of the reason for the recent series success is due to the co-op functionality.

This said, I'm not quite sure they're going RE6-2 or anything. They may make a completely new set of mechanics, or streamline it a bit. I don't know why, but I'm painted with an impression they're really trying to shake up the foundation of the series again, ala' from RE3/Code Veronica > RE4. I think Capcom have more than anything within the last few years talked about "examining the series" in terms of RE, and trying to think how to modernize & realize things about it to a broad audience while also appealing to long-time fans. Capcom even went out of their way to say they need to observe less of what other series are doing, and more what they can do for the legacy and continued success of their franchise.

I guess I'm painted with the impression than RE7 is going to be them trying to do a new take at the series again, but something that's trying to capture what they think older fans wants while also appealing to that broader audience. So I think gunplay will be in it, and be important, and I think co-op isn't going anywhere, but I'm kind of expecting the bombastic to be shifted down a tad from RE6 and them to be trying to go in some more Gothic Horror direction. I partially say this since they kept on describing RE6 as such before release, and they acknowledge Leon's campaign was received the best by most, along with the surprise successes of REmake HD and the Revelations games I guess.

Do I expect it to be scary? Not really... But I guess my expectations are:

-They're going to try and reinvent the wheel a bit again. How successfully is to be seen.
-The game is going to be an action game with co-op.
-...HOWEVER, I think it may be at least trying to be more atmospheric and horror-y than either RE5/RE6, to what extent and what Capcom considers to be horror is out there, though. At the very least I think it'll come off as being much darker.
-I think it'll be scaled back to one or two campaigns, and probably more polished. I get the impression that the biggest thing they pulled from RE6 was it being bloated and not really refined; RE6 had the biggest staff for any Capcom project ever working on it, and they developed it relatively quickly after RE5 (the game came out something like 2-3 years after it started development), Capcom had said they wanted to quicken production of its titles, but evidently that didn't go through with RE7. RE7 seems it'll release four years after it started development, which implies either they've taken a lot of time to refine it, which RE6 didn't get, or maybe they did the classic RE thing of scrapping a whole build or big parts of it and starting again to go in a different direction. At the very least, I do think this will be a much more polished title than RE6.

It's to see what exactly they have cooked up, but those are my expectations. And since RE is basically well known for its bonus content at this point, you can bet there will be bonus content.

Andrain18

Banned
i expect it will be like in Jurassic Park when Ian walks up to the big pile of shit and says,"That's one big pile of shit".

PaulBizkit

I want zombies back, not being able to move while shooting (or move very slowly) and being able to move sideways while not aiming.

More puzzles like "get this key to open the next area, but find the add-on for the key that allows it to open many more doors".

Since we already explored:
city, police station, ship, not-spain forest and castles, africa, military facilities and mansion...

We can try:
shopping mall, northern town with snow, airbus a380 (biggest commercial airplane), jail, not-chernobyl (past umbrella testing grounds), not-london, maybe establish a new "raccoon city"*

*as in, a particular setting where one or two games can take place.

Disappointment mostly. All joking aside after Resident Evil 6 I worry that they've gone too far from what made RE4 great and RE5 totally alright to really reel it back in. I think this is a franchise that desperately needs a good decade before they fully reboot it. I can't imagine Capcom is in a position to do that though.

Karu

They mentioned The Last of Us in 2013 - and I think RE7 will probably be Capcom's take on that particular game. It was revered by pretty much everyone to put it lightly, it sold great, it was dark, had action, but also the survival aspect their fans crave (If it's exactly the one their fans actually crave is a whole nother matter). If the final game will come anywhere close, I dunno, but I think it's likely they went down that road...

Kazuhira

I want a better level design like dark souls for example,shortcuts,multiple paths,puzzles,rewards for exploration etc
No ammo/health drops,no more shops,maybe not even weapon upgrades in the traditional sense(exp,stats etc) but more like hidden weapon parts(like they did it in dino crisis 1)
At this point,i dunno if they can make it scary anymore but a good creepy atmosphere will be enough for me.
No more QTEs,over exaggerated explosions,redesign the cover system and dodge mechanic of RE6,more interesting bossfights(shoot the glowing yellow weakspot!)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I've given this some thought.

1) The expanded moveset of RE6 stays. Many people enjoy it, it actually is fun, and Mercs can't give it up
2) I expect a more intimate story. Capcom is aware of fan feedback regarding horror, tone, and pacing. I wouldn't expect QTEs simulating control of a trans-Pacific Airbus again. RE6's global outbreak scenario will be replaced with a story that is more personal. I expect that the sense of isolation present in the early games will return. With Revelations 2, they proved that a "smaller" story still works in the Resi universe.
3) ...isolated in pairs, that is. Of course it will be co-op
4) Based on very little, I expect (and want) to hear from Rebecca Chambers (RE0 remaster and upcoming film both prime conditions). Some sort of Jake appearance makes sense after the end of RE6, but I'd rather not see him as a protagonist.

OH. Obligatory mention of the RE community thread. Come see us!

Riposte

I honestly don't know what to expect.

Made some good points on why there won't be as much QTEs.

lol at people using this thread to say what they want it to be.

The Last of Us, Capcom edition

Co-op, but only two protagonists to follow. Mostly takes place in one city. There will be keys(or the equivalent to keys) to grab to open doors/gates you passed 30 minutes ago. There will be puzzles to solve. There will be big action sequences with humans and monsters alike. There will some shitty inventory system thing, like RPG loot drops for 10% fire damage on your MP5 and this will be sold as bonuses you can buy online.

They tend to keep "RPG" stuff to the additional modes, namely Raid Mode. You are partially describing Revelations 2, in fact.

Bl@de

A bad game, lots of marketing, tons of DLC and maybe some microtransactions in mercenary mode. Anything else would surprise me.

Darkangel

I don't trust Capcom to make a hardcore survival horror game like REmake (too niche), so I'd rather they just go full action without pretending. Half-measures like the Revelations games suck.

I just remembered that RE2make might be at E3...

Psyfer

Like most others, I expect RE 6.5/6-2

But I would love if it was more like 4 with co-op.

My best friend, who I have been friends with since we were kids, claims RE as his favorite series. He has most if not all of the books, the movies, the games, etc.

I'm kind of a coward, so I really only ever watched him play RE 1, 2, & 3, but I did play and beat 4, and we beat 5 together the night it came out. 6 took us a while because of conflicting work schedules, but we played that mess through too. We also put a lot of time in to RE5 Mercenaries mode. We kind of sucked at the beginning, but then at some point we stopped just trying to survive until time ran out, and started pushing for high scores, which was a crazy amount of fun, running double Weskers and Cobra Striking everything to death..

I guess I just want a co-op campaign more like 4, spooky and creepy, but not out right horror, and a Mercenaries mode that is as fun as 5.

JunkoEve

I wanna see RE6 Leon's campaign & gameplay style for RE7, and that means with Leon as the protagonist and with local co-op function.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Part of what made the older games scary was ammo scarcity. Not that there were ever that many enemies around at the same time, but you never felt like you could just waste ammo. I've been wondering for a very long time if, with todays tech, it wouldn't be possible to recreate such a scenario but with an environment (such as a city or a lab) choking with zombies. You could design a lot of environmental puzzles around luring away roaming hordes, finding ways around them, trap them in certain places, etc.

You simply never have enoug bullets to kill them all, so you have to pick your battles. Risk versus reward: try to clear a path, find another way, only pick off small groups/individual targets? Favour silent kills in certain situations, just leave a lot of enemies be completely, etc. Maybe try to build upon the threat Nemesis posed by adding a completely or semi-random herd dynamic to groups of zombies that roam the map which could pop up at unpredictable places.

The only recent games I can think off that really put numbers on-screen are Dead Rising and Dying Light. But both games are going for a very different approach. I guess I'd like to play around with the threat the roaming herds in Walking Dead pose. .

ffvorax

Not asking for a "classic" RE, but also not for an action game like RE6.
I think RE5 was quite good both in action than in "survival" feeling...

They should study better the game, not aiming for a long campaign but for a more refined one.

I just continue to remember that in the first RE zombies can be shooted when they appear dead in the floor, and in 6 it's scripted that you can't kill them if they are supposed to live on after you pass over them... that's absurd.

This and more of this kind of details can make the difference, but until there will not be a very good designer working on it, we will have only good -> likeable games, nothing more...

KiLLaDeZo

I would like and expect a single campaign rather than 4 separate stories and also the ability to mod/upgrade your weapons again.

Lanrutcon

Pros: Expecting a smaller cast and a more focused campaign.

Cons: Expecting more of an evolution towards a third person shooter (cover and gunplay), more multiplayer elements..

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
“I think the big numbered titles are where we try the big sort of experiments, bold new things,” Okabe said. “We see what sticks, and continue to refine those ideas. I think with the spin-off series we have the opportunity to do something a little different."

That makes no sense and tells you everything about what the franchise has become. RE6 was a failed experiment, another one of those and the franchise will be on life-support like most of Capcom's other series.

Of course you can try new things in the main series but the jump from RE4/5 to RE6 was completely deranged. It still needs to be a Resident Evil game.

Akiller

RE6 with better pacing,QTEs, scripted sections and a tutorial.

Jake solo campaign and an unlockable one starring Jill.

Ok, those sound more like hopes than expectations rofl

Top Bottom