• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't know, undecited between going forward with me3 from the legendary collection or going forward with mh sunbreak or playing some hfw to get acquainted with the combat again before the expansion comes out.

Aenima

Started playing Immortals Fenyx Rising, and im enjoying it alot.

The world is big but not too big, and is super dense filled with puzzles and challenges. So while moving from point A to B to complete a main quest i also "trip" in a bunch of stuff to do along the way. This to me is one of the most rewarding and most well crafter worlds Ubisoft did in recent years.

Combat is simple but feels good, the game is gorgeous to look at, the story so far seems just ok, but im enjoying it as its filled with funny stuff, moving around also feels nice either by using ur wings to glide, or by having the ability to tame a variety of mounts that you can then summon to move on the ground faster.

Thers a good amount of interactivity with the scenario, as you can cut trees down and use the logs as trowing objects against enemies or you can use them as weight to activate pressure plates to solve a puzzle. Alot of stuff is also hidden behind bushes so swing ur sword or axe to clear the bushes might reveal some resorces to gather.

Wish more Ubisoft game was build with this kind of density and interactivity.

Last edited:
Just finished Hivebusters (Gears 5 DLC). It was great fun and liked it even more than the actaul G5 campaign. Today I started on Return To Monkey Island. Im hooked on the gameplay but I still cant get over the art style. Looks so cheap like some flash game from NewGrounds.

Fredrik

Hello old friend

1Ueznk1.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why do that to yourself with those last two?

And by the state of the PC port, the second one too.

Returnal, though. Chefkiss.

Avengers they gave all the suits out, so I don’t mind revisiting it. Just playing it as a high budget super hero beat ‘em up.

Greedfall is very good. Not sure if you tried that one, but it’s very enjoyable for a AA game.

Last of Us runs fine for me.

Fbh

Ghostwire on Ps5: I know people say it grows tedious and repetitive later on but at least the first few hours have been pretty fun, I like the vibe, the enemy designs are cool and the combat is simple but enjoyable. It does feel a bit like a colectathon rather than an interesting built open world but I guess that can change over time

Chained Echoes on the Switch: Only a few hours in but so far this is pretty great, love the visuals, the music is pretty nice too, I like a lot of the ideas of combat and overall it's really impressive that a lot of this was made by 1 guy.

Damn, have to play this game, I have it even installed but never got to play it. Which is strange cause i'm a huge Remedy fan.
I think one of the reasons is it doesn't have traditional weapons but this transformable gun. I don't really like that.

Play it, you won't regret it, the world-building, story, and gameplay are excellent.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Beat RE4 and I have to say between Metroid Prime, Dead Space, and RE4, this might be my favorite Q1 of gaming ever. I haven't thought about it extensively, but 3 of my all-time favorite games all redone better in one gaming quarter. Hard to top. And the next 3 months aren't going to be too shabby either with Star Wars, Zelda, and then FF16.

RaduN

Re4 remake (chapter 8 i think)

..and also trying hard to get into Killer7 on GC. There is something under all the bloat and the extreme weirdness, that is strangely compelling, but i didn't get into the groove ...yet.
Hopefuly i will, because it definitelly seems the kind of experience that ultimately rewards patience and commitment.

Been playing

Vagrant Story (Vita)

About 6 hours in

I'm at the Abandoned Mines B1 Section

I got past the annoying Dragon

I had to get past these 2 annoying Knights and 1 mage outside

Story is interesting
Graphics still hold up, looks fantastic
Gameplay is tough but so far am able to get through it

GrimGrimoire OnceMore (Switch)

Runs great on Switch
Looks fantastic
Appreciate the fact that it's fully English Dubbed. The cast does a great job
Nice WAIFUs

I'm on Day 2 Part 2
The Dragon the enemies keep on summoning kills my army. I have to summon a Dragon but I still have trouble.

This game control wise would work better with a mouse and keyboard

I don't like the RTS gameplay here

Chained Echoes (Switch)

Good game, around 7 hours in. So far I'm particularly invested in the game. It's still a good game but I've played better RPGs

void tRrLM(): //Void Terrarium (Switch)

I played an hour of this and I'm enjoying it
The Visuals are beautiful looking. Gameplay is simple but fun.

Paltheos

I'm done with DMC: Devil May Cry.

Beat the main campaign with Dante on Normal. Both the Slurm Queen and the Fox News host are fantastic bosses and easily the highlights of the game. Second half of the game... is decidedly weaker, both on the boss front and overall. The giant, demon baby is an easy damage sponge and the strobe, disco lights got irritating after a few minutes. The disco level itself on the other hand was pretty neat, and I liked the floor gimmicks for forcing certain classes of attacks. Final bosses were disappointments on opposite ends of the spectrum - the first one is way too easy, and the second one is annoying in that way that one-on-one duels in action games can often be, where the boss gets to decided when you can attack and it's too infrequent, where he can interrupt and punish you in the middle of combos, and in general doesn't have to play by the same rules you do even though it's supposed to be a duel. Late-game enemies were more annoying too - tankiness of enemies was more palpable, and I hated the assassin dudes who (you might notice a pattern here) could just break your combos and have very low hitstun ceilings that encourage just mashing to maximize damage. Assassin dude could also just jump into a dimension portal and force you to wait until he's done attacking. I really don't like these dudes - my first thought was that these are Ocarina of Time tier enemies in a game that came out ~15 years later. The new weapons you get in the latter half of their game are more fun than the ones in the first half though, so... eh. Not all bad.

I played the Vergil DLC too and had a much better time with that. I beat the game on every difficulty except the hardest (Hell and Hell). I beat Very Hard (Son of Sparda) without using any items too! I had an easier time getting into flow state playing Vergil. Rapid Slash positions me behind enemies instead of leaving me in groups like Stinger does, which made combo management easier. Spiral Swords is a way cooler use of Devil Trigger than Dante's "Lift enemies up and just thwack them in the air". A big part of getting through levels (without using items) was figuring out how to optimize my meter use (and also who and how to best knock off ledges for enviro kills). Unique enemies for this mode were generally better too. I like the ghost that you can hit only after sniping with a sword who periodically becomes intangible again - Threatening but with clear tells and importantly you can still actually counterplay against them whenever. Only part of the DLC I didn't like is the one-on-one duel near the end that has the same problem as the final boss of Dante's story. It's what killed my Hell and Hell run with Vergil too. I'm not dealing with that shit where it seems like he can just end my run on a whim.

Fredrik

Finished another playthrough of Elden Ring today 🥳
Somehow managed to beat Mohg the Omen without getting the boss achievement. Annoying. Thought I would get a specific achievement for Age of Order too but apparently you don’t get anyone for that ending. Oh well, slayed Malenia at least with my fairly swift medium roll Bloodhound Fang build which I kept til the end.
iyZaObf.jpg

Crayon

I was watching random side tournaments on yt last nite so this morning I found soul calibur 6 on ps+. Lord I have to get out of this story more it's PAINFUL lol. Thankfully I just finished a section. Now looks like I could have quit and saved part way through though. Oh well. I'm going to try another mode. I never knew how to play sc. I know the buttons and the barest basics, that's it. I'm just here to press buttons for an hour so it's not like I'm going to learn.

... i forget to hit post and some time goes by...

Played through some arcade mode. That's much better. I'm going to search for a ranked and see if anything comes up. It's been looking for about a minute now, though. There might be just nobody playing this anymore. Maybe I'll look up some metacomment... of I got a match!!!

My god that connection was unplayable. Lets look for one more. I've been itching for fighting games the last few days. I cana tell I'm antsy because now I'm already jumping online with this while I can hardly move the character. Oh! Match!

... awe biiiitch. That was an okay connection. I got washed but they didn't rematch. This is kinda a waste of time. I picked up kof 15. That's probably a better place to look for online fights. Even better would be to watch some action on youtube. I got shit to do!

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
15 hours in Tales of Vesperia. It's good but still not as good as the other Tales I've played. It drags a bit but the cast of characters are fun. Just beat Gigalarva, a tough fight, and went back to Dahngrest where Don declares war on the Empire. I hope the story picks up now.

Played some classics the NSO. I'm thinking of revisiting the Kirby-games, starting with Kirby's adventure on NES. I played a couple of levels and it was fun. I want to see how the game has evolved leading up to Forgotten Lands.

I also played some Earthworm Jim 2. It's a terrible game. The graphics are its only saving grace. The levels are just too flimsy and lack focus. It could be a fun platformer, but instead the game is marred by shit design where the developers injected every crazy idea they had, just to make the game "varied". It's basically a bunch of mini games, where some semblance of coherence is glued together by two or three normal platforming levels. Absolute garbage.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Outer Wild's Echoes DLC, Undertale Genocide Run (San's is insane, still havnt got him yet but im close, I seriously think this might be the hardest boss in a game I've ever fought and I solo'd Malenia twice so.. :S), BOTW DLC, and F Zero SNES (I wish I knew how to get good at it lol).

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Just got to the lake in Resident Evil 4 - I‘m finding the local shooting gallery quite addictive, but I haven’t managed to hit all 8 of those skulls yet. Great game though.

I’m also still loving GT7 VR. Just raced on Highway 1 in the Cobra 467 and the way that the sunlight blinds you as it reflects off the bodywork is incredible.

Vyse

Gold Member
Started playing Immortals Fenyx Rising, and im enjoying it alot.

The world is big but not too big, and is super dense filled with puzzles and challenges. So while moving from point A to B to complete a main quest i also "trip" in a bunch of stuff to do along the way. This to me is one of the most rewarding and most well crafter worlds Ubisoft did in recent years.

Combat is simple but feels good, the game is gorgeous to look at, the story so far seems just ok, but im enjoying it as its filled with funny stuff, moving around also feels nice either by using ur wings to glide, or by having the ability to tame a variety of mounts that you can then summon to move on the ground faster.

Thers a good amount of interactivity with the scenario, as you can cut trees down and use the logs as trowing objects against enemies or you can use them as weight to activate pressure plates to solve a puzzle. Alot of stuff is also hidden behind bushes so swing ur sword or axe to clear the bushes might reveal some resorces to gather.

Wish more Ubisoft game was build with this kind of density and interactivity.
Really enjoyed Fenyx. Wasn’t a big fan of the DLC.

Vyse

Gold Member
Working my way through BOTW and really enjoying the game. Picked it up so many times over the years. Happy to finish up before the next Zelda comes out.

Vyse

Gold Member
Outer Wild's Echoes DLC, Undertale Genocide Run (San's is insane, still havnt got him yet but im close, I seriously think this might be the hardest boss in a game I've ever fought and I solo'd Malenia twice so.. :S), BOTW DLC, and F Zero SNES (I wish I knew how to get good at it lol).
Haven’t tried the OW DLC. Will check it out.

I'm replaying The Evil Within, great survival horror game...alot of parts in this game have the player in tense stressful situations. It's really atmospheric and immerses the player on an audiovisual level as well as on a gameplay level

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was going to do another playthrough of fire emblem 3 houses but coming back to that game after being used to 4K 60fps on PC... oof the game looks and runs rough. I decided that one playthrough was enough and now I'm back on COD.

Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. Clearly not even close to being finished and feels like some huge corners have been cut but some great ideas.

A current gen version that is less janky and more feature complete but with the same underlying design philosophy? Yes please.

Looks clean enough on PC at 4k.

reektann

I always wanted to play Alien Isolation as I love the Alien movies and how great the set design is. I decided to finally play it so I watched Alien again in HDR before then went straight into Alien Isolation on PC. That was a wild experience as it all looks so true to the films - just everything oozes atmosphere. I quite enjoy survival horror but this was my first “run and hide” style which took some getting used to.

Finished it the other day and overall thought it was the greatest game from a movie franchise ever. It is hard to believe it’s quite a few years old for how good it looks. They nailed it.

Also finished up Chained Echoes yesterday on Switch - I was absolutely shocked I spent 55 hours in what was an indie game made literally by one person ( aside of the music ) and was such a reasonably low price - especially when I’m used to seeing £59.99 everywhere lately.

I found some of the difficulty spikes frustrating at first, but realised you have to treat the hard situations like a puzzle and tweak your load out etc. Story was really quite deep and very adult in areas and the art and animation really won me over. The collecting items on the map part also stroked the Xenoblade part of my brain. There are certainly some things I would change just in how the UI is used etc - switching out items and gems was a chore as they didn’t move between armour or weapons etc but overall it was a great experience and I really really enjoyed it. Oh it also has a whole “mech” system with its own gear too. Mental.

Last edited:

Osthyvel

That's been in my backlog for like 4 years :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

I'm a degenerate and went back to WoW classic.
Maybe its time to play now then :)

I love Dead Island/Riptide, have not played since Ps3, bought the collection on xbx because of that fps boost :)

Its like 4$ now, i hope that DI2 can keep the magic from the first two games.

Kev Kev

Just rolled credits on Kingdom Hearts 2. I was going to platinum it but I came across too many endgame frustrations with ridiculously hard super bosses and challenges that rely on dumb luck even with the best strategies known. Nah, I'm good. I had my fun with the game, time to move on.

Wasn't sure what I was going to play next, then I noticed this just released on Xbox One a few weeks ago...
NNK2_Xbox_1920x1080-387765dc3eadf9578cc2.jpg

And it's on GamePass? Done. Click. Let's go.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Not wo long Fallen Dynasty.

I must be seriously disconnected these days because wtf is this shit.

It looks like an early last gen game, enemies stand fucking still until you approach them and the animations Jesus Christ.

Uninstalled after 10 minutes thank fuck it was game......PASS!

Just finished DBZ Kakarot on Steam; still have the post-game quests, Mira, and the DLCs left. And wow, what a game!

Sure, it's not a masterpiece, far from it; but so far it has to be the best DBZ experience video games have to offer, it feels like you're actually playing the anime... with all the wrong parts too (lots of padding at times, I think during the World Tournament near the end I actually spent 15 minutes watching dialogues before I got to play). The fights are super fun, the system is actually pretty deep (or you could just grind, be over-leveled, and button-mash your way through most battles, I guess, if that's your thing), and the boss fights are super cinematic. The final battle against Buu, with Head Cha-la in the background, was :messenger_ok:.

Fredrik

Returnal. I just beat it, so its time for the challenge towers. Great game.
I started off hating on it but it’s seriously my favorite Sony game ever now when using the cloud save trick to remove some of that extreme frustration. It’s such a shame it didn’t sell. It’s not fair.

Nico_D

Sniper Elite 5 on gamepass. Not as fun alone as playing SE4 with a friend was but the game is mostly the same. Not overly impressed after one mission.

LastBattle

Not wo long Fallen Dynasty.

I must be seriously disconnected these days because wtf is this shit.

It looks like an early last gen game, enemies stand fucking still until you approach them and the animations Jesus Christ.

Uninstalled after 10 minutes thank fuck it was game......PASS!
If you enjoy souls like games or Nioh, I’d advise giving it another chance. I was a little unsure at first as well. Especially coming from Sekiro, which I absolutely loved. The more I play, the more I’m hooked. I’ve also found that some areas look really nice graphically and some a bit average, but generally the visuals have also really grown on me.

On a side note. I’m playing…Wo Long! Just beat the Hanshui River level. Cool level design and atmosphere, boss was a pushover though.

Top Bottom