• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happens to everyone's steam library if Steam closes?

Durante

I think "they said it's going to be fine" is a very weak argument in a discussion of long-term preservation. On the other hand "here's a link to the crack" is a strong one.

I think "they said it's going to be fine" is a very weak argument in a discussion of long-term preservation. On the other hand "here's a link to the crack" is a strong one.

Yeah, in a world where people are porting XBLIG titles to the PC without any input from the creator because they have some weird sense of moral entitlement, I'm really not too concerned that someone isn't going to be able to write something that verifies things that aren't true about steams servers.

I'm also not going to be concerned what will happen to an account for a service that is no longer functioning as a result.

Telepathy

Banned
Anyone here who knows bankruptcy laws knows that anything against whats said in the publishing contract between Steam and the developer/publish, would not fly. And even if the contract included a kill switch it would most likely not be accepted in court.

But Valve, after bankruptcy or prior to, letting eeryone dld their games without DRM would at most put Valve people in big trouble. There is no way, to demand back the dlds though.

This aint Checkers bitch, it's Chess. And Gabe is playing for Kings. 15 years from now Valve will control everything and Gaben will rule from a thrown of hats. At which point the only thing that will be able to take down Steam is the Apocalypse. And I like Gabens chances in that fight too.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What happens to your music or movie library if Apple, Google or Amazon closes (or even better, when you opt not to buy an iPhone/Android/Amazon device anymore)?
What happens to your books if Amazon closes?
What happens to your games library if Sony closes?
What happens to your application library if Google closes?
What happens to your no online DRM CD games when the CD scratches?
What happened to your Halo 2 map pack purchases when Xbox Live closed for the Xbox One?
What happens with your 50's car when the only restoration auto shop in your city closes?

You move the fuck on.

We all download cracks for our games.

Second post gets it right.

Top Bottom