• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Not a fan of the blue zelda RDS case I got. A ton of useless space in the top. Think I'm going to try the updated Butterfox case next.

Will the Switch Joycons activate when buttons are pressed if they are attached to a powered off Switch?

Oresama

reposting my other thread post.

I wanna give a shout out to this case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XJ...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Im no fan of thick zipper cases or hard cases i find them unattractive and bulky.
I prefer simple slim sleeves that are the precise handheld measurements.
If you were a fan of the vitas OG sleeve this is exactly that but for the switch.

Its dirt cheap and prime eligible and in 2 color options to match your joycons.

Bit the bullet and ordered this sleeve.

I'll post pics and opinions once I receive.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I needed a new bag for my work commute, and ended up with a Waterfield Staad Attache bag. I ended up throwing their Switch Pouch in with the order too:

Switch-GP-Canvas-front_1024x1024.jpg

It's definitely pricier than many similarly functional alternatives, but it's even nicer than I expected it to be. I like the simplicity of it since I generally just want the console with joycons attached and room for maybe a USB cable and an extra SD card or two. It fits perfectly inside most any bag.

My first day / commute to the new office is in the morning, so we'll see how it goes. But I'm already loving the pouch and bag I got from them. If the price doesn't scare you off, rest assured the quality is there.

Will the Switch Joycons activate when buttons are pressed if they are attached to a powered off Switch?

When the Switch is in sleep mode it doesn't respond to any buttons except for the recessed power button.

Even then, there's an option to have it ask you to press the same button three times to use it. Otherwise, it eventually goes back to sleep automatically.

Lgndryhr

When the Switch is in sleep mode it doesn't respond to any buttons except for the recessed power button.

Even then, there's an option to have it ask you to press the same button three times to use it. Otherwise, it eventually goes back to sleep automatically.

It will respond to the power button or the home button when in sleep mode.

derder

So many options. What is the top offering for:

• Hard shell
  • Space for USB Battery Pack
  • Space for extra pair of joycons
  • Space for 4x Joycon grips?
  • Trigger protection
  • Screen protection

I don't need memory card/gameholder/headphones

Tom_Cody

I needed a new bag for my work commute, and ended up with a Waterfield Staad Attache bag. I ended up throwing their Switch Pouch in with the order too:

It's definitely pricier than many similarly functional alternatives, but it's even nicer than I expected it to be. I like the simplicity of it since I generally just want the console with joycons attached and room for maybe a USB cable and an extra SD card or two. It fits perfectly inside most any bag.

My first day / commute to the new office is in the morning, so we'll see how it goes. But I'm already loving the pouch and bag I got from them. If the price doesn't scare you off, rest assured the quality is there.
Do you have any feedback on this yet? I want to get a pouch, but my hesitation is the lack of structure to protect the joysticks. The other Waterfield case has a bit of support built in for the joysticks, so I want to know if this is an issue with the pouch before I place an order.

Does anybody use one of those DSLR camera bags for moving their Switch around (everything including dock)? Was debating getting one, since I don't really like the Nintendo/Switch branding on these huge bags. Plus it's nice to have those removable velcro dividers. Can anyone recommend a good bag?

taparoo

Do you have any feedback on this yet? I want to get a pouch, but my hesitation is the lack of structure to protect the joysticks. The other Waterfield case has a bit of support built in for the joysticks, so I want to know if this is an issue with the pouch before I place an order.

I use this pouch every day, I play on my lunch break at work. I haven't had any problems, but as you mentioned it does not have any extra protection for the sticks. I have a waterfield field muzetto messenger that has a padded compartment for laptops, and I throw the pouch in there. I don't think I would use this pouch if I wasn't putting it inside another bag though.

Does anybody use one of those DSLR camera bags for moving their Switch around (everything including dock)? Was debating getting one, since I don't really like the Nintendo/Switch branding on these huge bags. Plus it's nice to have those removable velcro dividers. Can anyone recommend a good bag?

I got this one when it was on sale for $15 a couple months ago, but it's only $20 now:

http://www.focuscamera.com/zinc-dslr-camera-messenger-bag.html

I keep my Switch in the RDS case inside the bag. The bag also has room for the dock, HDMI cable, battery backup, a set of extra joycons, a couple joycon grips, wrist straps, the Pro controller (in an Xbox One controller case), Surge joycon grips, and Switch charger. I bought some Tupperware-type containers at the dollar store to keep my wrist straps in, and a separate one for the joycons. The bag's pretty full at this point, and I can't really use the velcro dividers, but I have everything neatly packaged anyway, so there's no need for the dividers.

I bought a Hori Tough Case and I like it. My concern is the lil stretch loop where the games go. I had the slide on attachments for the joycons in there and when I close it it seems a lil tight...think that's ok? Not putting any pressure on the joycons themselves just more pressure on the screen itself(which has the case padded area and screen protector on it)

Tom_Cody

I use this pouch every day, I play on my lunch break at work. I haven't had any problems, but as you mentioned it does not have any extra protection for the sticks. I have a waterfield field muzetto messenger that has a padded compartment for laptops, and I throw the pouch in there. I don't think I would use this pouch if I wasn't putting it inside another bag though.
Ok, thanks. I think I'll go for the other Waterfield case then.

Jams775

Same. I have been thinking about getting this one instead from Amazon.

edit: mine's a bit different... it has a little pouch on the top part.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAUKS62/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's the one I got but it was branded Orzly on US Amazon. It's... okay.

It has enough room to store the joy con straps, some games, and some accessories. I have the hori car adapter, the joy straps, and a pair of earphones. It has a dumb stretchy strap to hold down the switch but it gets in the way and is kind of annoying to get it in and out, so I just sit it on top and it's fine.

Oresama

Fastnail Switch Sleeve via Amazon here

Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Fast shipping via Amazon Prime
  • Simple
  • Snug fit
  • Thin profile
  • Adequate protection when inside bag/backpack
  • Fastsnail "Claims" a 12 month warranty and willingness to correct any issues when contacted via Amazon.

Cons:
  • Smells weird?
  • "For Switch" branding is awkward, exposing, and unnecessary.
  • button flap leaves open gaps on corners (possible debris entry?)
  • Plastic button exposed on inside of sleeve could potentially scratch the screen if you have no screen protector and insert your Switch with screen facing away from "For Switch" branding
  • protection is not not adequate in my opinion for anything other than tossing it in a bag/backpack

Overall Opinion: Meh, I think its ok. I dont regret it or anything, but if i could do it over again, I would've gotten this case instead.

I have the RDS case now but have recently come to like using hte Switch in tabletop mode enough that I'm thinking of buying the Hori stand to put it at a better angle, however the RDS Case's accessory pocket is small and couldn't hold it. Does anyone know if the Butterfox case will hold the Hori stand, or if there's other good options that have enough accessory space for it?

Epcott

Wish there was a case to hold the screen by itself, and a separate one for the two Joy-cons. That way it's small enough to put into two separate pockets.

Jelle

I'm rocking the minimalistic Slim Hard Pouch from Hori, the NSW-007.

hori01fcbmr.jpg

hori02ojbzu.jpg

It's sturdy and pretty small. I like it. I'll pack game cards and other accesories separately.

I got sick of waiting for the Big Ben / RDS case to be stocked in the UK so I went with the Hori Tough Pouch instead. I've three games and both Joy Con Straps as well as the console itself. There's barely any movement and it's tough enough that no buttons have been pressed by accident. I throw it in my work bag and just like that I've got a console to play on the bus ride!

Got my 2nd pair of joycons today, went to see if my Surge case could fit em

And its quite the tight fight, and with any force you can click the stick on the extra left joycon

Anyone have a pack that works great for extra joycons, and even a usb-c cable & battery pack, without too much extra space/stuff rattling around?

Is there any middle ground between the messenger bag/backpack and a pouch that only holds system? The big carrying bags hold the dock, and I won't travel with that but I'm finding trouble finding something smaller that also holds the AC adapter

Is there any middle ground between the messenger bag/backpack and a pouch that only holds system? The big carrying bags hold the dock, and I won't travel with that but I'm finding trouble finding something smaller that also holds the AC adapter

The Butterfox case is perfect for carrying the switch while also having just enough room for an AC adapter.

The Butterfox case is perfect for carrying the switch while also having just enough room for an AC adapter.
Oh is it? I figured that was gonna be my case of choice, but then I read an Amazon review that specifically stated it couldn't hold the AC adapter. If you're confirming it's good, then I'm definitely ordering-- price is right!

Okada

I love the Butterfox case and have been using it since launch. There's loads of room in a form factor that's still pretty portable.

I currently carry the following in it:

• Switch console with Joycons attached
  • Game carts (room for around 20?)
  • 1 spare Joycon (could probably squeeze in a second)
  • Joycon wrist straps
  • Anker PowerCore 20100
  • USB C Cable
  • Microfiber cloth

Anyone have issues with the HORI 24 card case? Am interested in getting one but some of the reviews mention game cards being too snug, maybe even ruining some of them from having to pry them out of the case. Theyre only $10, but still. Just curious is all.

D.Lo

Thought I'd post my setup which I personally think is the ultimate.

This is my 'mini multiplayer kit'. Bigben case, with Splatoon stickers. I vastly prefer removed joycons in the case, so there is no pressure on the joycon rails in transport, and you get a much smaller footprint for the case this way.

The main unit is inside a sleeve I made as a kid for the original Game Boy from tracksuit fabric, in a strange case of historical symmetry, it fits perfectly.

The joycons and games section. There is normally empty space to the side of the joycon part, above the games,so using velcro loops I have created a system to store joycon 'straps' with the strap/cord itself removed (makes for more comfortable Mario Kart but nobody needs actual wrist straps). All with no contact/potential damage to the stored game cards.
As well as a little case (with velcro on the back to it attaches securely) which holds headphones
I'm actually re-formatting now that I have an Ankler power bank for the Switch, it will replace the headphones case. I also have a small USBC cord coming that should fit down the side of the power bank. Maybe I can still squeeze headphones in as well.

Darko

I got this case off amazon, it fits the dock,cables, console and 1 controller ..you can fit an additional grip in there as well.. or a nes pro controller in the included pouch. I love it

japtor

Anyone have issues with the HORI 24 card case? Am interested in getting one but some of the reviews mention game cards being too snug, maybe even ruining some of them from having to pry them out of the case. Theyre only $10, but still. Just curious is all.
I've had it for a while now, it's tight but seems fine. Just kinda stick your finger in the slot and pop out the card, maybe bend the plastic while you're at it.

Course I don't actually use the whole case. I popped out one of the "pages" (holds 12 games, 6 on each side) and just put that in the front pocket of the bag I use.

ttate90303

Neo Member
What power bank do you suggest? I'd greatly appreciate some recommendations.

Is the one in the link a good option?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I4KI0B8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't have that one, but I did pick up the Anker Power Core + 20100 found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Very solid unit - not light but it does fit in my Waterfield CitySlicker travel case. Love this case (long time SFBags patron) for traveling with my Switch. Has plenty of space and adequate protection. It fits in either a backpack or my Filson 256 Briefcase.

bumpkin

That case looks like the cases Blockbuster and Hollywood Video would rent out consoles in. Brings back memories. 😢
That was exactly what popped into my head too. That is a serious looking case though, for sure.

I've been rolling the Shiekah Slate case that came with the Zelda SE. I actually ordered one of the Hori slim hard pouches, but decided to give it to our nephews and niece instead with a Neon Switch we were able to find and are holding onto for Christmas.

ecosse_011172

I'd like a quite minimalist case with good protection, just for the console and a small Usb charger cable, I'm digital only so won't have any game carts.
Any recommendations?

this Orzly one looks ok but bulkier than I need.

The official one gets very mixed reviews.

jts

...hate me...
3 months later (and after preordering it at launch) finally got my Nintendo Switch official case, off the new batch that just came out.

It's as great as I expected. Don't get the hate tbh. Compact, discreet, sufficient protection for my needs (don't need/want a hard shell), some storage and a smart little stand. Love it!

Moments hunter

Neo Member
I'd like a quite minimalist case with good protection, just for the console and a small Usb charger cable, I'm digital only so won't have any game carts.
Any recommendations?

this Orzly one looks ok but bulkier than I need.

The official one gets very mixed reviews.

I should receive that Orzly case on 9th. Will take some pictures and try to describe my feelings about it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my 2nd pair of joycons today, went to see if my Surge case could fit em

And its quite the tight fight, and with any force you can click the stick on the extra left joycon

Anyone have a pack that works great for extra joycons, and even a usb-c cable & battery pack, without too much extra space/stuff rattling around?

Swap your top joycons and turn them upside down. The sticks should have a lot more room since they shouldn't be bumping into the lower joycon sticks when closing.

In my Surge case, I can fit an extra 2 joycons as well as a 10,000mAh Pro Huawei battery pack and cable. Works pretty well. It's a snug fit for sure, though.

Just picked up the RDS Deluxe Travel Case w/Link on the cover.

I don't usually buy systems or accessories with game designs on them, but Breath of the Wild has been such an awesome experience that I made the exception this one time. I have a trip to Chicago, so this will be the first time I take a system on a plane since my Vita days.

What's everyone's solution to additional/extended battery options?

What's the best case for the Switch under $30 Canadian Shipped? (Willing to go up to $40 if it's really something special.) Would prefer something slim rather than bulky, but whatever's best in the end works.

What's everyone's solution to additional/extended battery options?

Curious to know this too - looking at the Anker Powercore+ (20,100mAh) currently.

Iced

Top Bottom