• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to buy next on GC?

Ok, I know, there's lot of choice, but listen.

I bought a GC recently, and I bought it with Rogue Leader (awesome, awesome game). But, I need something more. Perhaps something bigger. I thought about Metroid Prime, now that it's a Player's Choice, but then I read about The Wind Waker. I'm a weaksauce, so I need a game that isn't too cheap with me. I heard Metroid Prime WAS cheap, but I also heard they fixed some things with the Player's Choice version.

So now I'm in a dilemma. Which one? Or any other choice? I will buy Wario Ware (GC) later for sure, but now I don't have money for extra controller so it's pretty useless.

So what do you think?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
There is really only one section of MP that is "cheap"

Now if you want to talk about things being another kind of cheap, and acceptable kind ;), then I suggest MP which as you mentioned is a players choice and much less expensive a game than zelda. I recomend zelda as well but MP is definately more bang for you buck at the moment.

edit: oh yeah fZero, cheaper than MP in both regards but still a great game. :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'd buy Metroid Prime. Tales of Symphonia comes out in about 2 weeks.

Ristamar

Metroid isn't cheap. Who told you that? I can't recall any part of the game where I felt shafted.

If that's the route you're going, though, I can tell you what NOT to buy -- F-Zero GX. Honorable mention goes to most other racing games (Mario Kart included), any given sports title (even if there is a 'No CPU assistance' option, the AI always fucking cheats), and Super Mario Sunshine (I loved it, but the camera in certain areas is tedious, at best).

Soul4ger

belgurdo said:
How is Space Raiders? I could use an arcadey game

It's pretty neat. Not deep in the least, just simple, arcade shooting action, but since most EBs have it for like $15 pre-owned (but in new condition), it's worth a purchase.

AniHawk

Anyway, good starter games:

Super Monkey Ball $20
Super Monkey Ball 2 $30
Sonic Mega Collection $20
Super Mario Sunshine $30
Luigi's Mansion $20
Pikmin $20-$30
Animal Crossing $30
Mario Golf $30
Metroid Prime $20
Resident Evil $20
Resident Evil 0 $20
Eternal Darkness $15
Super Smash Bros. Melee $30

Skies of Arcadia Legends also received new shipments, so you can find that game in stores like Gamestop and EB (probably) for about $20-$30.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:

Super Monkey Ball $20
Super Monkey Ball 2 $30
Super Mario Sunshine $30
Luigi's Mansion $20
Pikmin $20-$30
Animal Crossing $30
Mario Golf $30
Metroid Prime $20
Resident Evil $20
Resident Evil 0 $20
Eternal Darkness $15

Skies of Arcadia Legends also received new shipments, so you can find that game in stores like Gamestop and EB (probably) for about $20-$30.
Yeah, all of these are fairly safe bets unless they are gametypes you don't like to begin with (Animal Crossing)

Hero

Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur II, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, and Sonic Mega Collection are all great Player's Choice titles and can be bought for 15 dollars at Best Buy. (After gamer's gift card)

Going up a little in price, you can get Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Wario Ware Mega Games, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and Mario Golf. These retail for 30 dollars, but at Best Buy can be brought down to 25.

I would say get one of those to hold you over till Tales of Symphonia. I expect LoZ: Wind Waker to go Player's Choice right before the holiday season.

Edit.

Alcibiades

Metroid Prime isn't cheap, but like Mario Sunshine, it's quite a bit of a challenge...

that said, I'd recommend it and using the internet if you get stuck...

If you want something easy and light, I'd go with Pikmin, but like Luigi's Mansion (also higly recommended at PC price), it can be finished in a weekend...

If you need time-wasters, I say go for Super Monkey Ball (that goes from very easy to very hard, but you can choose 3 difficulty levels) or especially Animal Crossing (which doesn't have a difficulty level)...

AniHawk

Hero said:
Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur II, and Sonic Mega Collection are all great Player's Choice titles and can be bought for 15 dollars at Best Buy. (After gamer's gift card)

Going up a little in price, you can get Super Mario Sunshine, Wario Ware Mega Games, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and Mario Golf. These retail for 30 dollars, but at Best Buy can be brought down to 25.

I would say get one of those to hold you over till Tales of Symphonia. I expect LoZ: Wind Waker to go Player's Choice right before the holiday season.

I think it might go during August or September. The sales have definitely slowed down a lot. I think it'll go PC along with Mario Party 4 (to $20) and Mario Party 5 (to $30), and SSBM will drop to $20.

Hero

AniHawk said:
I think it might go during August or September. The sales have definitely slowed down a lot. I think it'll go PC along with Mario Party 4 (to $20) and Mario Party 5 (to $30), and SSBM will drop to $20.

I don't recall the latest sales of Wind Waker, but last I do remember it was still selling over 10K copies a month. Although shipments have dried up, as my store has maybe gotten 10 copies of it within the past month. I think Nintendo is getting rid of all the regular cover copies so they can start printing the new PC ones. I guessed Mario Party 4 would've gone down in price a bit before Mario Party 5 came out but who knows why it didn't. At one point we had both games next to each other at the same price. With no new Mario Party this year, I can see 20 and 30 dollar prices for 4 and 5 respectively. And I do agree with the 20 dollar price drop for SSB:M. I think that, Super Mario Sunshine, and possibly Animal Crossing and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle will all go down to 20.

Alcibiades

AniHawk said:

for some reason, I think Nintendo is just goint to keep mum on the Mario Party games because they want people to buy a new version and not the old ones (at least, I think that is what happened last year when they kept Mario Party 4 at $50) and just let shipments run until Mario Party 6...

that said, maybe MP6 will be so different and revolutionary Nintendo won't have a problem dropping the price on MP4 and MP5 (which are both technically at $50 MSRP and neither is Player's Choice)...

I think SSBM will drop to $20 when sales slow down big time (like Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, MP, etc...), so probably not this year...

The Wind Waker on the other hand, is the most likely of the 4 games mentioned to see a drop this fall, although sales drops could be attributed to uneven distribution (some stores carrying game others not), and hopefully a Player's Choice price would convince retailers to restock good quantities for Christmas...

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Get MP used, and wait for Zelda to drop in price. Then get that used too. Some of the boss fights in MP are hard, but nothing that an experienced gamer cant handle.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
belgurdo said:
How is Space Raiders? I could use an arcadey game

For the average person, it isn't worth the disc that it's printed on IMO. As a collector I bought it because it will end up being somewhat rare but as a gamer I found it to be disappointing. I reviewed it on the old GAF. I gave it a 4/10.

AniHawk

Hero said:
I don't recall the latest sales of Wind Waker, but last I do remember it was still selling over 10K copies a month. Although shipments have dried up, as my store has maybe gotten 10 copies of it within the past month. I think Nintendo is getting rid of all the regular cover copies so they can start printing the new PC ones. I guessed Mario Party 4 would've gone down in price a bit before Mario Party 5 came out but who knows why it didn't. At one point we had both games next to each other at the same price. With no new Mario Party this year, I can see 20 and 30 dollar prices for 4 and 5 respectively. And I do agree with the 20 dollar price drop for SSB:M. I think that, Super Mario Sunshine, and possibly Animal Crossing and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle will all go down to 20.

Last month, TWW was something like 7.5k.

Alcibiades

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Get MP used, and wait for Zelda to drop in price. Then get that used too. Some of the boss fights in MP are hard, but nothing that an experienced gamer cant handle.

for $2 more, get Metroid Prime NEW please...

Oh yeah. Pikmin. But should I wait for Pikmin 2? I tried Pikmin 1 and loved it, but didn't like the fact that I needed to sit for 20 minute each time.

So I think that'll be Metroid Prime. I'll buy WW when it'll come to PC price.

Thanks you all for your help!

NWO

AniHawk said:

Super Monkey Ball $20
Super Monkey Ball 2 $30
Super Mario Sunshine $30
Luigi's Mansion $20
Pikmin $20-$30
Animal Crossing $30
Mario Golf $30
Metroid Prime $20
Resident Evil $20
Resident Evil 0 $20
Eternal Darkness $15

That about sums it up. And Pikmin is PC so its going to be $19.99 not $30.

AniHawk

Littleberu said:
Oh yeah. Pikmin. But should I wait for Pikmin 2? I tried Pikmin 1 and loved it, but didn't like the fact that I needed to sit for 20 minute each time.

So I think that'll be Metroid Prime. I'll buy WW when it'll come to PC price.

Thanks you all for your help!

Pikmin 2 sounds like it'll be better in every way, but it's like SMB to SMB 2. Both are fun. For $20, Pikmin's worth it.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
efralope said:
for $2 more, get Metroid Prime NEW please...

Yeah, why would you buy a used game for 17.99 when it sells new for 19.99??

Top Bottom