• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think the PS5 Pro "launch games" be? What would you want?

darthkarki

There has been lots of talk about the PS5 Pro specs, which will be interesting to see once officially announced. Seems like a more moderate, less "brute-force" update than the PS4 Pro was, with more specific improvements for things like upscaling and RT.

But you can't launch a new console with nothing to show it off (...right?). So realistically, what do we think might possibly be ready for launch?

Updates to existing games​

Most likely we'll see patches for various games already out, with improved resolution/upscaling being the easiest thing to implement. RT is more complicated though. What games already out do we think are likely to get an RT boost, and what would it be? Jedi: Survivor is one possibility that comes to mind that I would like to see updates for. It already has RT so it's not like it needs to be added from scratch. If we could get a solid 60fps mode with better resolution/image quality and RT, I'd be a happy camper. Alan Wake 2, FFXVI, A Plague Tale: Requiem... plenty of existing high-end games where it would be great to see some nice improvements in image quality and RT. But somewhat expected, and not terribly exciting.

New launch window games​

What I'm really curious about is new games. Sony hasn't announced anything first-party in a while - could they be waiting to show off something in conjunction with the Pro? The first possibility that popped into my head was the rumored Horizon Zero Dawn remake. This seems somewhat plausible to me for a few reasons:
  • It was first rumored a while ago - around the end of '22 I believe. If it was indeed in production, end of '24/early '25 should be a sufficient amount of time for the project considering it's not a brand new game.
  • The Horizon franchise and Guerrilla (whether or not they are actually leading production) have always been associated with high-end graphics. It would fit the pattern to continue that with the PS5 Pro.
  • The original Horizon Zero Dawn was one of the main examples used to promote the PS4 Pro. Perhaps purely circumstantial and coincidental, but I like the idea of using a remake to promote the PS5 Pro. It feels right.
Now, as unnecessary as it probably is, I was looking forward to a remaster/remake regardless of the Pro as I love HZD and much prefer it to Forbidden West, but there's no questioning the stunning beauty of the sequel - I would be very happy to merely be able to play HZD with the same quality. And that's what I figured the remake would more or less deliver. BUT, what if it went further?

The main benefits of the Pro are upscaling and RT, right? And one of the main criticisms of Forbidden West is the lighting model. I wouldn't be surprised to see better upscaling added to FW, but I doubt they're going to go as far as adding RTGI or anything like that - that would be a massive amount of work. But if the HZD remake is being developed alongside PS5 Pro with full knowledge of its capabilities, planned to be shown off as a prime example of the Pro's power, perhaps this is the perfect place for Guerrilla to test out some "next-gen" RT updates to Decima? HZD with the quality of FW and RTGI would be something to behold.

Of course, Sony said they "do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year like God of War Ragnarok or Marvel’s Spider-Man 2", but maybe a remake/remaster falls outside of this? Again, they need something to show off the Pro with, right?

It makes sense in my head anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Fredrik

No idea what they’ll launch it with but they’ll 100% show it off with a new Uncharted, planned for release in 2025.

Then they’ll have high end versions of Wolverine and Death Stranding 2.

And they’ll show a new trailer for GTA6.

As for myself I just want to see what I might get on PC at higher framerates. Pro versions should upgrade upcoming PC versions by default, right now they’re far too close to the base PS5 version.

They'll partner with 3rd parties. And some 1st party stuff will get patches. I think last time inFamous SS got a patch right away. Games like Monster Hunter World were receiving buzz.

Mortisfacio

I'd like a new Naughty Dog game. Not a remaster of a remake of a remaster, but a new game. Preferably not just the next in a series like an Uncharted 5 or TloU 3, but a new IP.

I'd expect Death Stranding 2 or something similar, though. The game(s) that launch with it being any good I'd expect to be a 2nd priority, but more a visual showcase being the top priority. Death Stranding is perfect for that because it's incredibly boring, but visually stunning.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
assuming the AI stuff actually results in tangible benefits, hopefully DD2. i would do crimes to have it on PSVR2 (as is, in third person).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Patches_pic.PNG

Audiophile

Launch Window:
  • Many updates to First Party Titles
  • Some updates to Third Party Titles
  • Astrobot '2'
  • AC Red & Star Wars Outlaws

Throughout Next Year:
  • Death Stranding 2
  • GTAVI
  • Ghost Of Tsushima 2
  • Additional Third Party

Last edited:

DragonNCM

We already know what game it will be.....The Last of US part I & II - remaster...from remaster...from remaster...from remaster...from remaster.......

S0ULZB0URNE

Black Myth: Wukong

PS5 exclusives as in all or most of them.

Elden Ring: as it should automatically get a boost with resolution scaling.

Remnant 2

Lords of the Fallen

tommib

This is what I’m hoping for:

Elden Ring - Quality mode at locked 60
Rise of the Ronin - Graphics mode at locked 60
GT7 - Native 4K at 120
Last of Us Part 1- 4K locked 60
FF16 - Graphics mode unlocked at 60 with VRR

Sw0pDiller

Same games, but better. And every game that had trouble keeping 60fps in performance mode will bump to 60 in the highest resolution. Perfection!

schaft0620

My guess for compatible games during the "release window"

Astrobot
Silent Hill 2
Call of Duty
NBA 2K
Spider-Man 2
God of War Ragnarök
Rise of the Ronin
Dragons Dogma 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Final Fantasy 16
Horizon Forbidden West
Horizon Zero Dawn remaster
Until Dawn Remaster
The Last of Us Part 1
The Last of Us Part 2
Gran Turismo 7

What I want:
Physconauts 2
Call of Duty
Helldivers 2
Silent Hill 2
Rise of the Ronin
Star Wars Outlaws
Astrobot
Black Myth Wukong
Gravity Rush 1+2 Remastered
Gran Turismo 7

Last edited:

tommib

Hopefully they add Raytracing during races in GT7.
Not happening. Weren’t DF showing that ray tracing in Forza looked worse than the GT7 current solution?

I just want the 120hz mode to run at native 4K instead of the current checkboard solution which shows jaggies.

Killer8

I believe this thing could potentially do path-traced Cyberpunk (at 30fps with a lot of optimization). It would be a good showpiece of what can be done and would basically just involve money-hatting CDPR to put out another patch of the game.

SHA

Launch Window:
  • Many updates to First Party Titles
  • Some updates to Third Party Titles
  • Astrobot '2'
  • AC Red & Star Wars Outlaws

Throughout Next Year:
  • Death Stranding 2
  • GTAVI
  • Ghost Of Tsushima 2
  • Additional Third Party
I'm afraid xbox series won't have it's own GTA and the elder scrolls, even the Witcher.

nial

Gold Member
Patches for Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Gran Turismo 7, Rise of the Ronin, etc. Probably releasing along with a new Astro Bot game.

Last edited:

darthkarki

Not sure if GTA6 will be released just in time for PS5 Pro launch but I'd bet they are going to showcase the new hardware with a big Spider-man 2 patch showing both PSSR and new RT features.

Insomniac are definitely great at pumping out updates, so I would certainly expect something. I figured improved resolution/upscaling for all modes which would be great - I would love fidelity mode at 60fps - but it would be super cool if they actually added some new kind of RT also. Would it make sense to go full RTGI when the time of day is static? Maybe the extra bounce lighting on dynamic objects would be worth it. Or maybe better shadows/AO. Could be cool. :messenger_sunglasses:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
My guess for compatible games during the "release window"

What I want:
Helldivers 2
I don't see any scenario where HD2 'isn't' in the release-window updates. I'd be willing to make a modem-eating bet on that one.
Also some of the others (TLOU games, Spiderman games) are 100% happening - it's what they did for original Pro launch too - not terribly exciting to me unless Insomniac does a CDPR and releases a path-tracing patch for Spidey or Ratchet.
I'd also bet SH2 will launch with Pro support - no patches needed.

Anyway personally I want GR2 and Returnal.
120fps patches for some VR titles would be nice - but I'm not holding my breath there.

The rest - I'd rather take new games over recycled stuff, we've had enough of it this gen already. Like make some of those future XBox ports Pro enabled like Shenua - that'd be more appealing than more upresing of old games.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is what I was thinking about. Could be a Console Buyer. Bloodborne Remaster upgrade with all QOL features running full RT / 60fps?
it would certainly be enticing. then drop it on pc months later to vacuum up cash when it doesn't seem to be a big factor in moving pros any longer. they would surely make profit.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I feel like there won't be any game specifically made for the Pro at launch. But we'll definitely see games that supports the console with higher def and fps and handful of PSVR2 that utilise its power.

Maybe like, Wolverine bundle? That would be good.

Edit: I can't remember if the PS4 pro had anything new to go with it?

Last edited:

yurinka

C'mon, it's just a console revision with slightly bigger horsepower, which only a few games will use. No "launch games" needed.

This one. I'd add Mario Odyssey 2.

Maybe like, Wolverine bundle? That would be good.
Wolverine is a 2026 game. The big Sony fall 2024 release will be Concord. Being serious and realistic, "big launch games" could be this, Until Dawn remake and something from Ubisoft (AC Red or Star Wars?).

Last edited:

RCU005

Let's be realistic: If the PS5 PRO is real, is only because of GTA6.

All other games will still be the same but with 4K/60 fps option. Which in turn, practically the majority of PS5 games are still PS4 games.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got a PS4 Pro at launch and it had a patch for Infamous SS which just made the IQ of that game, which was a launch PS4 game, phenomenal, and Horizon Zero Dawn which looked amazing.

But Horizon came out that year and as we all know Sony doesn't have jack shit in 2024 lmao. I would say Spiderman 2 and Gran Turismo 7 patches are guaranteed, HFW patch maybe, probably not God of War Ragnarok (the game leans heavily on baked lighting)

Three

Not happening. Weren’t DF showing that ray tracing in Forza looked worse than the GT7 current solution?
Ok but what's that got to do with raytracing in GT7? Raytracing in GT7 looks good in replays and the Pro might allow it in the gameplay hopefully.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I just want the 120hz mode to run at native 4K instead of the current checkboard solution which shows jaggies.
Forza sucks though, and is made by people who don't give a shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom