• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What To Expect on Day One with Xbox Game Pass Core

We’re almost there – tomorrow we’re excited to bring to life all our updates for Xbox Game Pass Core! As we shared last month, this is our latest evolution of what was previously known as Xbox Live Gold. Same great online experience, new name, and an added library of games!

When we announced Xbox Game Pass Core, we shared that this membership would come with more than 25 high quality games from the Xbox Game Pass library – we’re thrilled to share that there will be 36 games available to play on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One starting tomorrow! We’ll get to the full list – starting with some truly iconic multiplayers, games with incredible storytelling, and influential indies.

Check out the most recent single player Fallout game, Fallout 4, and use your continued access to multiplayer in Fallout 76. Traverse the backyard in Grounded or explore Tamriel in The Elder Scrolls Online. Play the absolute mind trip that is Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (get some headphones for this one!). These are only a few of the Xbox Game Studios games for you to dig into tomorrow.

We’re also thrilled to share games that will be available from our creator partners. Check out the roguelike Vampire Survivors, or on the other end of the gaming spectrum, cozy game Stardew Valley. We also have some unhinged co-op fun with Gang Beasts and Golf With Your Friends.

Let’s look at the full list of games coming tomorrow! (Note: Game Library may vary over time and by country)

• Among Us
  • Astroneer
  • Celeste
  • Dead Cells
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • DOOM Eternal Standard Edition
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Firewatch
  • Forza Horizon 4 Standard Edition
  • Gang Beasts
  • Gears 5 Game of the Year Edition
  • Golf with your Friends
  • Grounded
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Human Fall Flat
  • INSIDE
  • LIMBO
  • Ori & the Will of the Wisps
  • Overcooked! 2
  • Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
  • Powerwash Simulator
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Slay the Spire
  • Spiritfarer: Farewell Edition
  • Stardew Valley
  • State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition
  • Superliminal
  • The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge
  • Unpacking
  • Vampire Survivors

We plan to update the Game Pass Core library 2-3 times a year. If you’re interested in the full library that updates more frequently, check out other Game Pass memberships .

Game Pass Core will continue to provide the benefits you had with Xbox Live Gold, including the ability to play together with online console multiplayer, deals and discounts (up to 50% off select games!), and access to Free Play Days for select fully featured games. All of that is the same. As a reminder, the price isn’t changing from Gold to Core, and there is no action required for you to change your payment or make adjustments to your membership. Xbox Live Gold cards in retail stores will remain purchasable and redeem for Game Pass Core, while supplies last. For more details, check out the Game Pass Core homepage here.

As always, you can keep up with the latest updates for Game Pass (now including Core!) on Twitter and Instagram, or right here on Xbox Wire. We’re excited to see what you all play first!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let’s look at the full list of games coming tomorrow! (Note: Game Library may vary over time and by country)

• Among Us
  • Astroneer
  • Celeste
  • Dead Cells
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Firewatch
  • Gang Beasts
  • Golf with your Friends
  • Grounded
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Human Fall Flat
  • INSIDE
  • LIMBO
  • Overcooked! 2
  • Powerwash Simulator
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Slay the Spire
  • Stardew Valley
  • Superliminal
  • Unpacking
  • Vampire Survivors

I mean .. this is already a massive improvement over the trash they were shoveling on Games with Gold for the last couple of years. Plus they'll add more.

On paper it seems like an improvement over Gold. But they should have homogenized the GP tiers and made base-GP into the low-end offering and Ultimate as the high-end.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm confused. So GP Core will be $9.99 per month? And standard Gamepass, which includes the full library of games, is exactly one dollar more at 10.99 per month? Am I missing something glaring here?

MadPanda

Banned
I'm confused. So GP Core will be $9.99 per month? And standard Gamepass, which includes the full library of games, is exactly one dollar more at 10.99 per month? Am I missing something glaring here?
Core includes online play, aka live gold. Standard game pass doesn't include it. That's it.

This is a decent lineup, much better than those games with gold they were giving.

Dr_Ifto

I thought standard gamepass was like 15.99 a month

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think this is $60 a year still also, but could be mistaken. I can't keep up with all these changes.

Chukhopops

A bit of a weird selection when GP Core is for online play, why not add MCC, Sea of Thieves AoE 2?

I kinda like the logic of having a base selection of online games in a pay-for-online subscription but it seems they didn’t go all the way through.

BlackTron

a new gamepass package? I don't get it? these games already part of the service from what I can see.

Gamepass Core: replaces Xbox Live Gold. Includes online play, and this small batch of select titles, for $9.99.

Standard Gamepass: Access to the full catalog of GP games on your Xbox console for $10.99 per month, but no online play

PC Gamepass: Access to the PC catalog only for $9.99/m

Gamepass Ultimate: All of the above benefits for $16.99 per month

PHEW.

Edit: You can also buy a card/code to redeem from a reseller for $60 for 12 months of Gamepass Core/Xbox Live Gold. But MS will not show you this option on their Web site. You need to get a code or call them and talk to a real person to get this price. If you see a card at a reseller for Gold it is the same thing, it will be redeemed for Core now.

Last edited:
Gamepass Core: replaces Xbox Live Gold. Includes online play, and this small batch of select titles, for $9.99.

Standard Gamepass: Access to the full catalog of GP games on your Xbox console for $10.99 per month, but no online play

PC Gamepass: Access to the PC catalog only for $9.99/m

Gamepass Ultimate: All of the above benefits for $16.99 per month

PHEW.
Thank You Very Much. :messenger_peace:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Can you elaborate on what tricks, workarounds, Microsoft points, support agents, blood money etc is necessary
No, it's just clearly listed as an option if you google it. I assume they'll have gift cards and the usual options. No idea.

The only trickery is if you upgrade from Core to Ultimate, you still can stack 3 years of Core. It just now converts to 2 years of Ultimate instead of 3. But that's a whole other topic.

Last edited:

BlackTron

No, it's just clearly listed as an option if you google it. I assume they'll have gift cards and the usual options. No idea.

I tried researching it by looking for a year and found was old discussions of people saying MS try to hide it., I needed to search for "12 months". I also spent too much time on Microsofts own Web site trying to find information and all they will tell you is 9.99/m.

You need to buy a card to redeem from a third party or possibly call a support agent to get the $60 for a year, but you are correct. Editing post.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If I was still on Xbox I would be pretty happy with this. GP is overkill for me, but this is a nice lineup of games and wont be changing constantly. As long as you can pay $60 a year for it of course, although that will likely increase because of Sony.

NickFire

If you can still pay 60 annually then MS is offering more for same price, while Sony appears to be offering just a much higher price for online access. Huge +1 for MS in terms of respecting their consumers.

Edit reserved in case it turns out monthly is the only option.

sainraja

I tried researching it by looking for a year and found was old discussions of people saying MS try to hide it., I needed to search for "12 months". I also spent too much time on Microsofts own Web site trying to find information and all they will tell you is 9.99/m.

You need to buy a card to redeem from a third party or possibly call a support agent to get the $60 for a year, but you are correct. Editing post.
I found this news article by MS where they say it is going to be $59.99 a year.

8D4zHdM.png

Link

Last edited:
I mean .. this is already a massive improvement over the trash they were shoveling on Games with Gold for the last couple of years. Plus they'll add more.

On paper it seems like an improvement over Gold. But they should have homogenized the GP tiers and made base-GP into the low-end offering and Ultimate as the high-end.

No, not really "add more". They will cycle out some games and replace them with other games, and maybe grow the cap to 50 games in total.

I found this news article by MS where they say it is going to be $59.99 a year.

8D4zHdM.png

Link

Yeah and this is the version with online play. So, technically it is cheaper now than PS+ Essentials, its closest equivalent on the Sony side.

Last edited:
adamsapple adamsapple I know, I know. Just hoping people expecting Core to hit the total number of available titles the other tiers have, keep their expectations in check. I don't see MS increasing total number of available titles at a time beyond 50. So there'll be a mix of new titles added by simply increasing the count, and others added by cycling out current offerings.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You can pay for Core at 60 USD per year unlike standard.

Given that this was very clearly inspired by the PlayStation Plus collection - I would have thought it would have included better games.

Massive upgrade over gold, but still not as good as I thought it would be.

Banjo64

cumsessed
  • Among Us
  • Astroneer
  • Celeste
  • Dead Cells
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Firewatch
  • Gang Beasts
  • Golf with your Friends
  • Grounded
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Human Fall Flat
  • INSIDE
  • LIMBO
  • Overcooked! 2
  • Powerwash Simulator
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Slay the Spire
  • Stardew Valley
  • Superliminal
  • Unpacking
  • Vampire Survivors

Whilst a lot of these aren’t new or expensive games, you can’t deny there’s a lot of quality here. In fact practically the whole list is very good.

A good base option that immediately shits on GWG.

Still overpriced for accessing your own internet connection for P2P multiplayer, but that’s MS and Sony for you.

I don't even know what I expect from these companies anymore, but this ain't it. Are Microsoft and Sony colluding to squeeze the most money out of people while giving the least possible value? $120 a year for online access and two dozen single player games that we played on PS3 or PC six years ago?

BlackTron

Given that this was very clearly inspired by the PlayStation Plus collection - I would have thought it would have included better games.

Massive upgrade over gold, but still not as good as I thought it would be.

I think it's just to throw you some non-zero slate of games while you pay for online, if you want the full helping, they have GP standard or ultimate

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

• Among Us
  • Astroneer
  • Celeste
  • Dead Cells
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Firewatch
  • Gang Beasts
  • Golf with your Friends
  • Grounded
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Human Fall Flat
  • INSIDE
  • LIMBO
  • Overcooked! 2
  • Powerwash Simulator
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Slay the Spire
  • Stardew Valley
  • Superliminal
  • Unpacking
  • Vampire Survivors

How many games on this list have been passed around for free

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you can still pay 60 annually then MS is offering more for same price, while Sony appears to be offering just a much higher price for online access. Huge +1 for MS in terms of respecting their consumers.

Edit reserved in case it turns out monthly is the only option.
well, sort of, Sony is continuing to give out "free" PS+ games. It's obviously hit-and-miss but they do "give" quality games. Obviously this benefits longtime subscribers more and you dont get anything day one on the service, but it is a perk of subscribing.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Whilst a lot of these aren’t new or expensive games, you can’t deny there’s a lot of quality here. In fact practically the whole list is very good.

A good base option that immediately shits on GWG.

Still overpriced for accessing your own internet connection for P2P multiplayer, but that’s MS and Sony for you.

I will say that, at least it is a curated quality list. If you are buying in to Xbox and signing up for the minimum, you almost can't pick something bad to play. Whereas if you have access to the full catalog you have option overload -you could pick the wrong game at random and "lose engagement". Might be a silly concept on gaming boards but who knows how deep they take these decisions.

Beechos

I guess this is similar to what sony had/was offering when ps5 was launched with access to a bunch of older 1st party and 3rd party stuff

I don't even know what I expect from these companies anymore, but this ain't it. Are Microsoft and Sony colluding to squeeze the most money out of people while giving the least possible value? $120 a year for online access and two dozen single player games that we played on PS3 or PC six years ago?

Pretty sure GPC is still $60 for the whole year if you buy it annually. Meanwhile PS+ Essentials is $80 a year buying it annually.

You can get both for cheaper on sales, of course.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why would they want to lose so much revenue?

That is true from a commercial point of view, I was looking at it from a "make it easier on the end-user point of view" but companies gonna company.

Core is the same price as Gold, $59.99 a year.

Vicious Attack Llama Apocalypse is mine forever though.

Sad Feelings GIF

I missed adding that to my library :(

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It literally feels like a (paid) demo - 1 or 2 games from each IP owned by Microsoft to get you going (and hopefully upgrade). Still better than most of GWG's offerings from the last 1-2 years though. You could tell they spent 95% on GPU games and 5% on the rest.

NickFire

well, sort of, Sony is continuing to give out "free" PS+ games. It's obviously hit-and-miss but they do "give" quality games. Obviously this benefits longtime subscribers more and you dont get anything day one on the service, but it is a perk of subscribing.
I know that. Point was Sony is jacking up price without adding value, while MS is adding value for same price.

No way to sugar coat this. Sony is being a dick and MS is not on this issue. But they're both still assholes for charging for online in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom