• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

Thanks for the new OP. Out of all of the new bits of info, number 8 is the most important to
me.

8. Kimishima clarifies that the reason NX is releasing after the holiday season is because they want software to be ready for launch, and also to continuously release titles after launch. (Source (Q&A 5))

Nintendo consoles are always my 'primary' (normally considered secondary) consoles w/ PC in tow and any other consoles if I want to play their exclusives. Since nintendo owns my favorite IP, nintendo consoles are always a must buy for me and the fact that nintendo seems to be doubling down on software output is a good thing. It may not be what makes NX successful (though it might be), but it'll be enough to make me happy with my purchase, and this is coming from someone who was happy w/ his wii u.

Anth0ny

another year of speculation to go

fucking brutal

at the very least we're probably going to have to wait until september for the big nx blowout

nintendo pls

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I'm excited for the Nintendo Palm and Trii. It sounds like the NX portable and console versions will come out the same day, which is very interesting.

Can you imagine the hype if Nintendo announced a Nintendo Direct -with unique coloring As well- to reveal their upcoming NX system.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

fucking brutal

at the very least we're probably going to have to wait until september for the big nx blowout

nintendo pls

6 months tops.

fucking brutal

nintendo pls

Hopefully a lot less brutal since it isn't even a year and they stated they would be releasing info in 2016...

fucking brutal

nintendo pls

It won't be a year though. You even said there will be a blowout probably by September the latest lol

It's more of an indirect hint at cloud saves possibly being a thing on NX. I thought it was worth including.

I think the implication is that your Nintendo ID will be used for NX as an online account, and will link to multiple Mobile Apps, but the wording is horrendous if that's the case.

While I agree that these two should happen, unless Nintendo drops the ball yet once more, implying their possible existence from the fact that Miitomo links to Nintendo ID is a stretch. There is nothing in that would suggest that Nintendo IDs could lead to cloud saves or NX using Nintendo ID as an online account (whatever that means).

Still sounds a lot like a hybrid to me. Just imagine it, all the disadvantages of a handheld combined with all the disadvantages of a home console, all in one expensive, underpowered and unwieldy package.

Perfection.
While I know you're joking, a lot of people keep bringing it up without realizing what a bad idea it is. Sure, you no longer have to split the fanbase with two different systems, but it'll result in a system that over $500 while underperforming and still requiring the extra work to take advantage of the hardware.
Unless all you do is essentially make a Vita that can be plugged into a base but that doesn't fit with what Iwata said about having multiple form factors

Rösti;202522855 said:
I'm expecting additional information about NX to be made available prior to or during Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016.

:/ ehh..
I wouldn't bet on it. It's possible they talk a bit about it at E3 like Iwata did 12 years ago but we'll see.

ffdgh

fucking brutal

nintendo pls

September? May as well expect december. Don't want to be too optimistic.

openrob

I love how Koei Temco still call it 'Nintendo - Code name'
Thing's out in less than a year - it should have a name haha

September? May as well expect december. Don't want to be too optimistic.

Just need to turn off our brains for the rest of the year

Its not like we dont have plenty to keep us busy in the interim

.... unless you only game on Nintendo systems that is...

Thank goodness this thread is back; It's so nice to have it as a central hub for NX discussion. I worry it will devolve into rumor mongering again seeing as we still have many months left until launch, or even new information.

Pinky

Banned
Nice to see a new NX thread, though my participation will probably be limited. I'm looking forward to NX and will be there day 1, but last week really delivered some jabs that I didn't expect. I was certain this fucker would be at E3 and I would've bet my account that this thing would release before 2017. So, I'm just gonna sit back and take it easy until solid info and legitimate details start to surface. I won't invest myself in this like I did before. Just bring the goods, Nintendo. I'll wait.

The last line in #8 stuck out to me:

We are planning for this to be a platform that consumers can enjoy for a long time.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this sounds like they're hinting at an iterative approach to consoles, not unlike what Sony and MS seem to be doing.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this sounds like they're hinting at an iterative approach to consoles, not unlike what Sony and MS seem to be doing.

If this means I never have to re-buy Super Mario Bros. ever again I'll be ecstatic.

LewieP

They've explicitly said that, wanting to avoid starting from scratch with a library of zero games when they create new consoles.

Might mean they make a clean break from supporting old hardware at some point, and new hardware has full BC, although their last two consoles have managed this, so it wouldn't be much of a change in strategy.

udivision

It won't be a year. We'll hear about NX sometime this year, probably around June/July.
I'm pretty sure the NX not being at E3 means the wait for the reveal will be more substantial than a month. Unless it really was "we don't want to share space with Neo/1.5" and nothing else.

Logash

I'm actually pretty excited about this. The fact that they delayed the launch so that games will be ready for launch "and beyond" is a great sign. I'm ready for a new Nintendo with a fresh start. I am a Nintendo fan who has missed out on Nintendo games this gen because of the Wii U so I don't mind the whole fresh start thing as much as the people who are upset that the Wii U is pretty much being abandon. I say put the resources you can on this new thing and make it amazing with amazing software.

Blues1990

The last line in #8 stuck out to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this sounds like they're hinting at an iterative approach to consoles, not unlike what Sony and MS seem to be doing.
I would be fine with this approach, as I can wait to see how it does the following months after the system launches. Unlike the last time, I can make my decision if it's worth my money, & I can choose from a healthy library of software.

Jinketsu

4. The Wii U version of the new The Legend of Zelda will also be the ONLY playable game from Nintendo at E3 to allow "complete immersion". (Source)

11. You can use Miitomo as the same user across multiple mobile devices if Miitomo is linked to your Nintendo Account. (Source (under System Options))

Not sure what either of those have to do with facts about the NX specifically, as we don't have facts that Zelda will have a playable NX version at E3, nor that Miitomo will exist on the NX platform.

Absolutely great thread otherwise.

Logash

Not sure what either of those have to do with facts about the NX specifically, as we don't have facts that Zelda will have a playable NX version at E3, nor that Miitomo will exist on the NX platform.

Absolutely great thread otherwise.

As Zelda is going to be a NX game, I think having a playable demo of the game on the Wii U is relevant. As far as the Miitomo thing? I have no idea.

Davey Cakes

As time goes on, I actually grow more and more excited by the prospect of having to wait for NX. I know that sounds weird.

Kimishima seems dead set on avoiding the pitfall of unpreparedness. That's refreshing. Strong launch and launch window are key to getting NX off the ground.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

That could be the Supplemental Computing Devices.

Eradicate

A little nugget from the recent Macronix presentation (I'm still waiting on some sort of transcript of their audio presentation)...in a language I can't understand:

非挥发性记忆体厂商旺宏(2337)昨(28)日公布第1季每股净损0.25元。旺宏董事长吴敏求表示,“最糟情况已过”,预期今年第3季很有机会摆脱亏损,届时大客户任天堂订单将有关键性影响,该公司目标全年损益平衡。

由于旺宏到第1季底净值仅4.84元,已低于5元,未来恐遭打入全额交割股。另外,关于减资议题,吴敏求表示,今年不会减资,要做也是明年,将慎重考虑。

旺宏首季毛利率明显改善,是近六季高点,达15%,季增7个百分点。旺宏也持续减少投片,目前产能利用约八成,库存水位降到近11季低点,到首季底的库存金额82.31亿元,吴敏求评估,大约会继续降到60至70亿元的水准。

过去旺宏全年业绩高峰大多出现在第3季,第4季则会下滑,但吴敏求指出,因为任天堂已宣布新平台将于明年3月推出,应会提早备货,旺宏今年第4季营运可能和第3季一样好。

旺宏首季营收50.86亿元,季减9%,但年增8%,税后净损8.91亿元,比上季亏损16.6亿元大幅缩小,每股净损0.25元。旺宏表示,首季是淡季,营收呈现季减主要是季节性因素影响到市场对唯读记忆体(ROM)与编码型快闪记忆体(NOR Flash)产品的需求。

吴敏求指出,在任天堂新平台推出之前,今年ROM营收估计持平,但有成长潜能。至于NOR Flash业务,全球市占到去年已达21%,位居第二位,预期在今年接下来的某一季,有望跃升为第一大。旺宏预期今年75奈米以下NOR Flash制程产品会提升至五成,并销售更多高容量产品,车用领域业绩也会持续增加。

旺宏开发SLC NAND领域,前两年业绩扶摇直上,吴敏求认为,今年仍会快速成长。 吴敏求也提到,12寸厂在过去几年拖累该公司营运,但接下来对公司成长会有很大帮助。旺宏目前ROM产品以32奈米制程为主,预期未来新制程会转进3D ROM,NOR Flash现在则以55奈米制程为主,规划后续会转进48奈米制程。

该公司 NAND Flash将从36奈米制程转进19奈米制程,估计今年底或明年初可送样,后续2017或2018年再进一步转入3D NAND。

Found here: http://laoyaoba.com/ss6/html/83/n-598783.html

8534_stupid-movie-confused-matthew-perry-reading.gif

Google translation:

Non-volatile memory vendor Macronix (2337) yesterday (28) announced first quarter net loss per share of 0.25 yuan. Wu Min, chairman of Macronix demand, "said the worst situation has passed," the third quarter is expected a good chance to get rid of loss, when Nintendo large customer orders will have a critical impact on the company's full-year profit and loss balance target.

Since the end of the first quarter of Macronix net only 4.84 yuan, it has fallen below $ 5, fear of being the next to enter the full delivery shares. In addition, with regard to capital reduction issues, seeking Wu Min said that this year will not reduction, but also to do next year, will be carefully considered.

Macronix first quarter gross margin improved significantly in the last six seasons the high point, up to 15%, by 7 percentage points quarter. Macronix has continued to reduce the cast sheet, currently about eighty percent capacity utilization, inventory levels dropped to nearly 11 low season, the end of the first quarter inventory amount 8.231 billion yuan, Wu Min seek to assess, in approximately continue down 60-7000000000 yuan level .

Macronix peak performance over the year mostly in the third quarter, the fourth quarter will decline, but Wu Min seek pointed out that because Nintendo has announced that the new platform will be launched in March next year, should be ordered in advance, the fourth quarter operating Macronix It may be as good as the third quarter.

Macronix first quarter revenue of 5.086 billion yuan, quarter by 9%, but the annual growth of 8%, after-tax net loss of 891 million yuan, 1.66 billion yuan the previous quarter loss narrowed sharply, net loss per share of 0.25 yuan. Macronix said that the first quarter is the low season, showing revenue quarter by major seasonal factors affecting the demand for read-only memory (ROM) encoding type flash memory (NOR Flash) products.

Wu Min seek noted that before the introduction of Nintendo's new platform, this year sales are estimated ROM unchanged, but there is growth potential. As for the NOR Flash business, accounting for the global market has reached 21 percent last year, ranked second, is expected in the next year, a quarter, is expected to jump as the first major. Macronix expects the following 75 nm NOR Flash process products will increase% to 50% and to sell more high-capacity products, vehicles will continue to increase with field performance.

Macronix development SLC NAND field, the first two years performance skyrocket, Wu Min ask that this year will continue to grow rapidly. Wu Min seek also mentioned 12-inch plant in the past few years, it dragged down the company's operations, but then on the company's growth will be very helpful. Macronix currently ROM products to the 32 nanometer process-based, expected future processes will turn into 3D ROM, NOR Flash Now they are 55 nanometer process-based, follow-up plan will turn into the 48 nanometer process technology.

The company's NAND Flash from the 36-nanometer process turn into 19-nanometer process, estimated at the end of this year or early next year to send samples, the subsequent 2017 or 2018 and then further into the 3D NAND.

...thanks Google?

Anyways, it looks like Macronix for sure is going to be doing gangbusters with Nintendo before too long!

Jinketsu

As Zelda is going to be a NX game, I think having a playable demo of the game on the Wii U is relevant. As far as the Miitomo thing? I have no idea.

It's relevant in that we'll get to see a rudimentary, hopefully lesser version of an NX title, but not in the sense of a thread about NX facts. At least from my perspective, anyway.

Are we thinking more of a September reveal? Does Nintendo usually hold a "holiday preview" Nintendo Direct around then? It seems like they're cutting a reveal and expecting sales pretty close to the mark... anyone else feel like they've lied to investors about that March release date in order to keep them invested, prepared for a "Please understand" statement around that time for a holiday release next year? :(

Anth0ny

6 months tops.

you guys must be new here, this is how it works:

1. mindless speculation about new Nintendo console for months

2. they finally give us new information months before launch

3. we discuss the new information for about a week

4. mindless speculation about new Nintendo console for months until launch

we have that to look forward to. even when they show off the nx for real, possibly in september, the insanity doesn't end until the thing is in out hands.

bman94

I've said it constantly that it would be dumb financially for Nintendo to release the NX this year cause they would have the same problems that the Wii U had. Though I'm slightly perturbed that Zelda is being delayed yet again. Just release the Wii U version already, those who want the NX will get Zelda with it anyway.

Pokemaniac

A little nugget from the recent Macronix presentation (I'm still waiting on some sort of transcript of their audio presentation)...in a language I can't understand:

Google translation:

...thanks Google?

Anyways, it looks like Macronix for sure is going to be doing gangbusters with Nintendo before too long!

Hmmm, this does seem to suggest that there will be NX carts in some form releasing in March. Whether they're for the console, handheld or both remains to be seen.

LewieP

Hmmm, this does seem to suggest that there will be NX carts in some form releasing in March. Whether they're for the console, handheld or both remains to be seen.
Whist I think NX using cards instead of discs is most likely, it could be ROM chips for the console itself rather than for games.

Pokemaniac

Whist I think NX using cards instead of discs is most likely, it could be ROM chips for the console itself rather than for games.

That could contribute, although, they seem to be making a pretty big deal about this. I know Nintendo is one of their biggest customers, but it seems a little bit unlikely that only ROM chips in the console would be enough for how big a deal they're making.

Eradicate

That's what's interesting about it all. But, it's also what's confusing because not only is it tech-talk, but it's in a different language from a different country, so I have no clue what they are talking about! Generalizing it, I thought it was cartridges for 3DS or something first, but then with the 4th quarter as well...as well as this:

It could be for the hardware too!

Oh, oh, and I LOVE that "platform" still pops up!

What's kind of crazy for me to think about though is this thought...have they not built anything for the NX yet at all? If ROM isn't ready, then what else is/could be? What was with all that talk about "14nm won't be ready" when the ROM isn't either?! That's the strange thought for me to grasp!

I guess, unless the ROM is FOR game cartridges...right?....RIGHT?! Help me TechChineseTranslatorGAF!

Google translation:

...thanks Google?

This pretty much confirms that the console will be using some type of cartridge medium.

Google translation:

...thanks Google?

This could be big news if it is an outright confirmation. Damn

Deku89

I think that the NX launch titles will be announced during E3, which is why Zelda is the only playable game (since the NX won't have been revealed yet, we won't see playable versions yet).

I believe NX will be shown off in August/September and released in April.

My biggest hopes for the NX would be a shared account with Wii U games, where if you bought the digital version of the Wii U game, you can play it on the NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom