• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

More than ever I hope Nintendo does away with backwards compatability and believe me I have been trying to find out information pertaining to see if this is the case but we all know what the answer to that is (TIGHT NDA). However this generation of new Nintendo consoles I want to see drop the old, inject new innovation and surprise people with a Rolls Royce of a product that is head and shoulders over the competition.

Its a sad day for me today as I look at all my old and ps3 games, some I have hardly played, but because I have had my console for nearly 10 years now, I knew this day would come. Nintendo I feel different about, as I would still keep wii u if Nintendo went without BC because the games on that are ageless! They are HD already and I feel as if I have my own personal video game arcade , plus all the old wii games that I purchased while waiting for Wii U releases.

Nintendo bring forth the new NX era and take back the innovation top dog you are!
Did you hear anything about the NX Handheld at all or does that fall under the "TIGHT NDA" category?

Ok, thanks. Is there any chance of it releasing this year? I'm a lapsed Nintendo fan and I always will give them another chance.
Nintendo has backed off from giving the Wii U & 3DS any major support, which will be more apparent in the back end of 2016. We'll probably get an NX device this year, but nothing is confirmed at this time. If it was, it would be in the OP.

i really hope NX launches without a Bluray drive. I mean, half of the WiiU is taken up by one and we all know how much Nintendo love small power efficient consoles.

Flash memory is now at a point where it could cost effectively replace Bluray in terms of capacity and speed.

I would like the controller to double up as their next handheld. It likely will have a freeform display at 720p resolution.

All software sold should work on both devices. No more droughts.

Hopefully both will contain AMD chipsets with the NX producing visuals at least on par with PS4.
If I recall, one of the insiders on GAF said that the next handheld's resolution would be "higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope", which led to speculation that the NX Handheld's resolution would be 540p. It'd make sense, since it'd be easier to scale up to 1080p from 540p.

All my contribution I have given is pertaining to home console as far as I know? or NX platform as that is all I have been told.

As I said I really hope that NX is really revolutionary, and that this makes this Nintendo generation even better than the last as I did enjoy wii u games.

I still think there will be games announced for wii u but I think these will be say a step down from NX platform, I consider maybe this is what iwata meant by absorbing the Wii u architecture.

Because it's a "brand new concept" (maybe not one traditional handheld/console) Nintendo doesn't see it as the successor to the Wii U/3DS?

Hmmm. I suppose that makes sense. I'd be gutted if we didn't get 'proper' consoles and we got like, a smartphone, or a dedicated mobile games device.

AmyS

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but if the NX isn't a successor for existing hardware... what is it? What does that mean?

What some people are thinking, is that NX is a whole new hardware architecture / OS / ecosystem for Nintendo hardware, software, online gaming, cloud, etc.
NX could be an umbrella that covers all future Nintendo hardware: a home HD console, handhelds / portables both large and small, and other devices that may or may not fit into an existing category.

So while the name 'NX' doesn't itself mean a successor to 3DS or Wii U, it seems there will probably be a specific piece of NX-based hardware that will be a successor to Wii U (Nintendo's next home console) and specific NX-based hardware that's a successor to 3DS (the next handheld).

Plus other things that haven't been done before, like the Supplemental Computing Device, which is described and illustrated as a separate box that connects to the home console, providing additional processing power and storage beyond what the console alone has. The patent seems to show it can be plugged into the console directly, but also work over the network. How and if this actually gets implemented by Nintendo for their next console, could be really interesting.

This is a lot of speculation and could be way off, but it represents some of the most reasonable interpretations of Nintendo's communication on their future plans and what NX is.

AmyS

Imagine if they're implementing it for the WiiU instead, ha ha.

Haha

6w0YLSL.jpg

hi again!

I really think we will get some news on NX come first week in February, then more at the GDC conference.

I also would like to say that the poster that said local co-op is dead nearly is so wrong IMO! I think this is still a major reason why people still love Nintendo and I hope that even though there is multiplayer online , there will always be local co-op in Nintendo in their games as this is what made me want and my (wife) a Nintendo console in the first place! My Wife is a major gamer but totally hates Playstation now because the lack on innovation and especially local co-op missing !

NINTENDO for NX DO NOT LOSE this USP!

Don't get me wrong here. As I said, I for one like to play together with my kids on our big TV. What I am saying is, that from a marketing perspective it seems to be unwise to tailor your strategy for a 2017+ platform around a traditional family/friends concept alone. They can still adress this group, but should also focus on online gaming and sharing experiences, like Sony does.

Neoxon

Would the next direct even be about NX? Could just about the smaller Wii U/3DS stuff.
They have to get their remaining Wii U & 3DS news out of the way somehow. Plus The Pokémon Company is probably gonna officially reveal Pokémon Z at some point for the 3DS (likely between February & May).

andthebeatgoeson

Thanks for the links.

I think power will be important, as well as a new effort to get third parties. You had be to be in the same league. Adding a 'mobile unit' is just asking for trouble. Make people buy it.

Branding is important but a $100 on a mobile unit puts you behind. I think the differentiation is 'look at this new Nintendo that is better than a ps4 power wise' 'look at this new Zelda', not another ham strung console with dated tech. But we'll see.

Neoxon

Thanks for the links.

I think power will be important, as well as a new effort to get third parties. You had be to be in the same league. Adding a 'mobile unit' is just asking for trouble. Make people buy it.

Branding is important but a $100 on a mobile unit puts you behind. I think the differentiation is 'look at this new Nintendo that is better than a ps4 power wise' 'look at this new Zelda', not another ham strung console with dated tech. But we'll see.
Put it this way, Nintendo is no longer capable of supporting multiple platforms on their own. The "mobile unit" part likely refers to the NX Handheld, especially when coupled with Iwata's "like brothers" comment. Power can only go so far, & it alone won't bring western third parties back. Nintendo needs to be able to support the NX Platform on their own if they have to. This way, any additional third party support would be icing on the cake. Not to mention that the 3DS is on its last legs while the Wii U is barely hanging on. Both need successors soon. And if Nintendo backing away from major 3DS & Wii U support is any indication, I think they know it.

This brings me to my question. How would the NX Handheld (in theory) be asking for trouble or result in dated tech?

Nice compilation of info in the OP. I do believe this quote from the last investor q&a is fairly important as well:
Genyo Takeda (Senior Managing Director said:
I understand that, thanks to the evolution of computer technology, aiming to realize a virtualized software development environment that does not depend on specific hardware is becoming the technological norm today. Simultaneously, regarding input and output technologies, I believe that it is also in line with the current technological trend that Nintendo should challenge itself with the creation of a unique user interface.
Take this as you will, but I see them moving towards another unique and simplified input device.

This is pretty much guaranteed. I do not expect a mainline Pokemon title to end up on Nintendo's next console.

However I do expect Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and many of their platformers to be playable on both for obvious reasons. I just hope Nintendo implements some type of remote play or allows me to use their next handheld as a controller.
I don't know about that. There's really no reason for it not too, the only reason why we haven't seen it earlier is because porting is difficult and the Pokemon company does not want to make a console exclusive mainline title.
And if it's fear of fracturing the user base, look no further than MH3U which seems like a very basic version of this idea.

I'll look over the new points posted over the past day. :)

Also, I want to revive an idea/speculation of what form the console and handheld will take.

The handheld should have two components. The first is the main unit being essentially a traditional mobile device, only it's not a phone. The unit will use carts and MicroSD cards.

The second is an attachment to a traditional console controller, this controller is also the main controller of the console.

This allows for easy portability if you don't mind removing the controller, and very mobile-user-friendly. I'm thinking an OS in appearance and function (but not tech) like Android would look really nice. And it gives people the comfort and control they're used to in console gaming. Too often I hear people are having discomfort with handhelds without grips at least.

And the console, using the same cartridge slot of the handheld for the speculated "one game works on both" method, this means no disc drive adding bulk, which should allow for the unit to be this:

Support of course includes MicroSD cards and also an external HDD via USB, among others, with at least support for two but it'd be cool if they can fit two more without adding bulk, or just release a USB hub that adds more.

beril

Ok, thanks. Is there any chance of it releasing this year? I'm a lapsed Nintendo fan and I always will give them another chance.

Sure there is. PS4 was officially announced in February 2013 and released the same year. Xbox One wasn't revealed until May the same year it launched. Admittedly both those consoles had a lot more solid rumours going about before the reveal than what we have for NX still, but let's face it, third parties aren't nearly as involved with the NX so there's less chances for leaks.

"Third Pillar" again. Meaning it's definitely a successor to existing hardware, but they're hedging their bets before going all in on NX.
Or at the least it means not following the wii/ds lines.
With two dying platforms I think there is too much riding on it to do the 'third pillar' talk, third pillar would be their mobile endeavours.

"Third Pillar" again. Meaning it's definitely a successor to existing hardware, but they're hedging their bets before going all in on NX.

Yeah, this is what I'm wondering as well. Part of it could be PR speak, but from what we've heard, NX sounds like it could be what Wii U should have been back in 2012. I don't think that's enough anymore.

Hermii

Yeah, this is what I'm wondering as well. Part of it could be PR speak, but from what we've heard, NX sounds like it could be what Wii U should have been back in 2012. I don't think that's enough anymore.

What should the Wii U have been? Tighter integration with 3ds?

Deku89

Crazy idea; what if retailers allow you to download the console assets on a USB drive that can then be installed on your console when you get home? I would think stores would have good internet to make this possible for folks who don't have internet or a poor connection at home?

Or, if the handheld has a USB port, just download the assets using the handheld onto the drive when outdoors at any place with free Wi-Fi.

I had that same thought a little while ago but dismissed it to logistical reasons. Basically, there'd be a booth where the Nintendo section is in places like GameStop, Best Buy, Target, etc. You could type in your Nintendo Account and insert the usb device (or whatever it is) to download the game. Problems would be it would be hard and expensive to get the booths into every store and people might not use them.

It would be interesting if it would double down as a demo station and after you finish playing says: would you like to buy this game now? And then download it immediately.

Someone brought up a good point on the disc drives and Nintendo's low power/small form factor priorities.
Disc drives take up a lot of room and use a reasonable amount of power. They can likely keep the NX relatively small without having to downgrade it as much as the Wii U.
Also, despite the shared library taking away a lot of reasons to buy both machines, I think it can also be the first time the two systems are closely linked.
If they enable cross buy and cross play for most titles the consumer will find themselves with an library to play day one on their new systems with added benefits (boost performance on console/portability on portable)
They can use the controller for Off TV play and as a second controller for local multiplayer (like in Smash) to save them from having to buy more controllers.
Stuff like that.

What should the Wii U have been? Tighter integration with 3ds?

To put it one way. The Gamepad was just too restrictive in not having any functionality away from the main device. The Wii U never in practice supporting more than 1 was also damaging to its perception early on. Finally, it didn't look very attractive and the screen was not impressive.

Then, we get to other problems like the lack of storage and the poor development tools, but we could go on all day.

I'm mainly thinking of the WSJ article and the Free Form patent in predicting NX features, btw.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Crazy idea; what if retailers allow you to download the console assets on a USB drive that can then be installed on your console when you get home? I would think stores would have good internet to make this possible for folks who don't have internet or a poor connection at home?

Or, if the handheld has a USB port, just download the assets using the handheld onto the drive when outdoors at any place with free Wi-Fi.

I had the same idea. Especially since Nintendo's own games on the Wii U have been comparatively small, if I remember correctly. So at least for their own games, download times could end up being comparatively small. Additionally, a disk drive adds quite a bit to the BOM and increases the size of the console significantly. And many games force you to download huge patches anyway. I can totally see why Nintendo would want to get rid of a disk drive and see such download booths—or a download-to-USB-Stick feature in general—as a viable alternative.

I had the same idea. Especially since Nintendo's own games on the Wii U have been comparatively small, if I remember correctly. So at least for their own games, download times could end up being comparatively small. Additionally, a disk drive adds quite a bit to the BOM and increases the size of the console significantly. And many games force you to download huge patches anyway. I can totally see why Nintendo would want to get rid of a disk drive and see such download booths—or a download-to-USB-Stick feature in general—as a viable alternative.
A lot are <5GB-10GB. Very few are much higher like Xenoblade and maybe Zelda?
I think 3D World is like 1.5GB.
I think it averages out at 10. I'm pretty sure the cartridges should be around 10GB or higher, the big 3DS can support up to 8GB so it could be fine.
Anything bigger could be console exclusive or have the extra assets as something downloadable

ElTorro

I think it averages out at 10. I'm pretty sure the cartridges should be around 10GB or higher, the big 3DS can support up to 8GB so it could be fine.

In order to keep online retailers on-board, cartridges based on NAND flash could be a viable alternative. Bulk prices for 16GB of NAND flash are ~2-3 bucks. That's still more than for pressing a disk, but it sounds doable. Not sure how the situation would look like for 64GB cartridges that would rival Blu-Rays and would be necessary for many third-party AAA titles, assuming that Nintendo is trying to get them on board. That might be a bigger issue. Such physical games for NX would basically cost ~10-15 bucks more to offset the cost.

It just means the NX console won't be called Wii 3, and the NX hand held won't be called the 4DS. Nintendo will introduce a new brand for them.
Yep. Something likely connecting the two systems making them seem like the same family of products like iPhone and iPad, and removing any prior baggage related to the old systems (especially Wii)
I imagine they'll keep Miis, though.

Someone brought up a good point on the disc drives and Nintendo's low power/small form factor priorities.
Disc drives take up a lot of room and use a reasonable amount of power. They can likely keep the NX relatively small without having to downgrade it as much as the Wii U.
Also, despite the shared library taking away a lot of reasons to buy both machines, I think it can also be the first time the two systems are closely linked.
If they enable cross buy and cross play for most titles the consumer will find themselves with an library to play day one on their new systems with added benefits (boost performance on console/portability on portable)
They can use the controller for Off TV play and as a second controller for local multiplayer (like in Smash) to save them from having to buy more controllers.
Stuff like that.

Wii U's disc drive draws something like 2w-5w max (we did the math in the old GPU thread. Things got pretty heated. haha). It's really not that big a factor in power draw. In fact, having that optical drive in there probably helped them with heat dissipation, as a fatter box allows for more airflow and larger fans than an ultraslim device. Gamecube is probably the nicest example. Xbox One vs. PS4 is the latest display for core gamers, as many complain about the PS4's jet engine fans. They need to spin fast because of how slim Sony designed the case.

I'm still conflicted as to what type of storage solution I expect Nintendo to take. They could very well stick a Gamecard slot on the NX console (or controller), but 64 GB cartridges still seem to belong in the realm of fantasy. Some of you may want to read some of the posts in this Beyond3D thread on the topic. Digital downloads are what Nintendo want to move towards and possibly in combination with a small capacity Gamecard or NFC "key" for authentication. For games requiring a large amount of storage, besides digital, optical media is still the cheapest way to go. It's best for the consumer, publisher, and retailer. Nintendo will figure out a way to pull off crossplay (if that's truly what they want for most games) that does not require a 64 GB "cart".

Wii U's disc drive draws something like 2w-5w max (we did the math in the old GPU thread. Things got pretty heated. haha). It's really not that big a factor in power draw. In fact, having that optical drive in there probably helped them with heat dissipation, as a fatter box allows for more airflow and larger fans than an ultraslim device. Gamecube is probably the nicest example. Xbox One vs. PS4 is the latest display for core gamers, as many complain about the PS4's jet engine fans. They need to spin fast because of how slim Sony designed the case.

I'm still conflicted as to what type of storage solution I expect Nintendo to take. They could very well stick a Gamecard slot on the NX console (or controller), but 64 GB cartridges still seem to belong in the realm of fantasy. Some of you may want to read some of the posts in this Beyond3D thread on the topic. Digital downloads are what Nintendo want to move towards and possibly in combination with a small capacity Gamecard or NFC "key" for authentication. For games requiring a large amount of storage, besides digital, optical media is still the cheapest way to go. It's best for the consumer, publisher, and retailer. Nintendo will figure out a way to pull off crossplay (if that's truly what they want for most games) that does not require a 64 GB "cart".

32GB is far more than enough. Just allow download of optional data packs for the home console.

Neoxon

But then comes the issue of the world not being ready for a digital-only console being the only option. After what happened with the Xbox One, I doubt Nintendo would risk putting themselves in a similar position. And if 64GB Micro SD Cards exist at a relatively low price, then a 64GB cartridge isn't outside the realm of possibility.

32GB is far more than enough. Just allow download of optional data packs for the home console.

But then comes the issue of the world not being ready for a digital-only console being the only option. After what happened with the Xbox One, I doubt Nintendo would risk putting themselves in a similar position. And if 64GB Micro SD Cards exist at a relatively low price, then a 64GB cartridge isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Even 32 GB requires Nintendo develop a whole new distribution format rather than including a bog standard optical drive (even an external one would work). This post goes into some of those costs

This post goes into some of the problems with the store download kiosk setup. Then there's the time it takes for a manufacturer to write and verify a cartridge based media vs optical, also mentioned in that post.

There's just alot weighing against such a distribution method. That's not even getting into the problem of excess inventory, which is also brought up in that thread.

ElTorro

I actually like the idea of download booths to usb-sticks for those who cannot or do not want to download a game. The only obstacle I see here&#8212;and its a pretty big one&#8212;is that this model would leave out online retailers like Amazon. Unless they would send you a USB stick that you would then have to send back. But that would be silly.

Neoxon

Even 32 GB requires Nintendo develop a whole new distribution format rather than including a bog standard optical drive (even an external one would work). This post goes into some of those costs

This post goes into some of the problems with the store download kiosk setup. Then there's the time it takes to write and verify a cartridge based media vs optical, also mentioned in that post.

There's just alot weighing against such a distribution method. That's not even getting into the problem of excess inventory, which is also brought up in that thread.
I didn't argue for such a distribution method. But at the same time, Nintendo can't risk going digital-only or they're gonna get eaten alive by the general public like what happened with Microsoft.

I didn't argue for such a distribution method. But at the same time, Nintendo can't risk going digital-only or they're gonna get eaten alive by the general public like what happened with Microsoft.

They're going to keep some form(s) of physical around for those people restricted by their ISP and for collectors who like the idea of "owning" a disc (even though many discs will prove useless in the future anyway thanks to rot and DRM). As I said, I'm not sure how they're going to do it, but there are too many problems with a large Flash-based format at this moment in time.

Neoxon

They're going to keep some form(s) of physical around for those people restricted by their ISP and for collectors who like the idea of "owning" a disc (even though many discs will prove useless in the future anyway thanks to rot and DRM). As I said, I'm not sure how they're going to do it, but there are too many problems with a large Flash-based format at this moment in time.
There's also an issue with doing a shared platform with separate physical formats. Sure, it's not impossible, but it causes unnecessary complications.

McHuj

Maybe they create some sort of hybrid approach. Both physical and digital download.

The next handheld will be cart based and almost assuredly bigger carts will be necessary, maybe even upto 16GB. This is the game you buy for both.

For the console, you can download higher quality assets if you wish.

There's also an issue with doing a shared platform with separate physical formats. Sure, it's not impossible, but it causes unnecessary complications.

Having a Gamecard or even SD card slot on the home console would largely do away with such complications. If there do end up being scaleable games, the largest assets would need to be downloaded for those who purchase the handheld version. That said, they need a non-digital solution for large games and for that, BD is still their best bet.
What about digital only for the handheld and disc based or digital choice for the stationary unit.
That would be optimal imo, seeing as that most people are used to downloading smaller games to their smart devices. Nintendo would be excluding some people with that setup, however, and I don't think they want to do that.

This. They still have a lot of titles which are purchased by a younger audience. An audience that doesn't have credit cards. Who whish to find some cool games under the Christmas tree. So, no, Nintendo will still rely on classic retail formats. Which does not mean they wonnt provide digital or innovative retail 2.0 channels. But downloading games at retailers, with all due of respect, that sounds silly.

If Nintendo really wants to get 3rd parties back on their platform, they need a Blu-Ray drive. It's as easy as it sounds. For 3rd parties, every penny matters. They wont pay 5US$ on a NAND or any other storage device if a single Blu-Ray costs a fragment of that. No chance.

Neoxon

This. They still have a lot of titles which are purchased by a younger audience. An audience that doesn't have credit cards. Who whish to find some cool games under the Christmas tree. So, no, Nintendo will still rely on classic retail formats. Which does not mean they wonnt provide digital or innovative retail 2.0 channels. But downloading games at retailers, with all due of respect, that sounds silly.

If Nintendo really wants to get 3rd parties back on their platform, they need a Blu-Ray drive. It's as easy as it sounds. For 3rd parties, every penny matters. They wont pay 5US$ on a NAND or any other storage device if a single Blu-Ray costs a fragment of that. No chance.
As stated earlier, going for a separate physical medium compared to the handheld for a shared platform probably isn't the best decision on account of the fragmentation that it would cause. Plus there would be benefits in every other front by going with cartridges (fewer moving parts for the NX Console, saved money that could go towards more powerful tech, etc.). And even if Nintendo did use discs, it'd be their proprietary Blu-Ray-esque discs to avoid licensing fees.

Kimawolf

Or Nintendo could just front the cost for 3rd parties. Call it an incentive or something.

Rödskägg

Neo Member
I had that same thought a little while ago but dismissed it to logistical reasons. Basically, there'd be a booth where the Nintendo section is in places like GameStop, Best Buy, Target, etc. You could type in your Nintendo Account and insert the usb device (or whatever it is) to download the game. Problems would be it would be hard and expensive to get the booths into every store and people might not use them.

It would be interesting if it would double down as a demo station and after you finish playing says: would you like to buy this game now? And then download it immediately.
Well, they've done it before.
That's for SNES, and there was something similar for the Famicom disk system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom