• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"what will be the biggest story of 2015?" Jason Rubin:"the launch of the Oculus rift"

Krejlooc

Banned
http://vrfocus.com/archives/10220/ces-2015-emerging-trends-gaming-liveblog-jason-rubin/

Jason Rubin, founder of naughty dog, is head of Oculus' first party game studio. This is the second major hint today from Oculus staff that the launch date will be announced soon, and the first definite evidence that the headset will launch in 2015.

Earlier today, palmer luckey cryptically hinted "we're now 3 years old. Year one, we shipped dk1. Year two we shipped dk2. Year 3... we're 3 years old."

Abriael

Banned
He's totally not biased on the issue.

(I tried to write something more on point than the instinctive response: "HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA, Yeah, Sure")

Krejlooc

Banned

(I tried to write something more on point than the instinctive response: "HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA, Yeah, Sure")

...The point is they just said the headset is launching this year. Brandon iribe just hinted at a launch date announcement as well.

It will indeed be the biggest story, and not only for gaming.

Naysayers can already go hide in a corner.

Hopefully it releases soon but ready. No need to rush it out.

I'm ok with a fall 2015 release.

Abriael

Banned
...The point is they just said the headset is launching this year. Brandon iribe just hinted at a launch date announcement as well.

I understood the point perfectly. The answer is still comical though, considering how many big stories are brewing for this year.

TI82

Banned

Are you trying to say that the Rift isn't pretty huge? Because if so, lol.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It better fucking be. It feels like my eyes are actually ITCHING with hype at this point.

Krejlooc

Banned
It will indeed be the biggest story, and not only for gaming.

Naysayers can already go hide in a corner.

Its hilarious watching the doubters with their fingers in their ears. Regardless of whether or not vr is a success, it's clear that 2015 will be focused on vr across multiple industries.

King_Moc

Banned
I understood the point perfectly. The answer is still comical though, considering how many big stories are brewing for this year.

Such as? I don't see anything bigger than vr this year. Unless you really love UC or Halo that much or something. But I really don't see how they're bigger than an entirely new way of experiencing games.

King_Moc

Banned
Everybody is playing catch up to Oculus in the consumer vr realm. Its not even close, they have so much infrastructure set up.

Due to the FB acquisition, they don't even need to sell at a profit either. They've come out and said units will be sold at cost price.

Are Facebook hands off?

That's what they said. They've already confirmed that they won't restrict Oculus enabled content to their own marketplaces and that it'll be effectively open for devs to do whatever they want. FB seem to be more interested in social media applications.

Guevara

A few smart people have predicted that 2015 is the year VR hype meets reality... and fizzles. Either way, he's probably right: it will be a big story.

Krejlooc

Banned
Are Facebook hands off?
For now at least. Zuck sees this as a decades long investment. They have a blank check to operate, intend to sell cv1 at cost, has no dream of profitability even in the near future.

He wants to own an industry long term. He sees this as the biggest shift in computing since the birth of the internet.

After trying the Rift for myself at last year's EGX London I'm sold and am ready to fully experience the future of virtual reality gaming.

Hopefully they meet that rough $300 target they had before.

King_Moc

Banned
A few smart people have predicted that 2015 is the year VR hype meets reality... and fizzles. Either way, he's probably right: it will be a big story.

You need to bear in mind, it's going to be for early adopters with fairly high end PC's for a few years, at least. How many people can game at 90fps and a resolution of 1440p, even at medium settings? It'll make waves, but it's not gonna hit with a bang. Think of it as like how the introduction of 1080p TV's was.

Abriael

Banned
Such as? I don't see anything bigger than vr this year. Unless you really love UC or Halo that much or something. But I really don't see how they're bigger than an entirely new way of experiencing games.

Which is and will remain an extremely limited niche for years to come.

VR is cool. It could even be game-changing for some. Big, it is not.

Caronte

Thank God he finally found a job so the press can stop calling him the founder of Naughty Dog all the time.

UrbanRats

It'll definitely be for me, assuming the CV1 comes out this year.

What else do you have anyway? A couple of good sequels coming out?

Krejlooc

Banned
Which is and will remain an extremely limited niche for years to come.

VR is cool. Big, it is not.

You're blind. Vr is ruling ces. Its dominating sundance. Fox just declared vr is their future. The nba is all in on vr. Palmer lucky is currently on the cover of forbes and finance times, and was on the cover of time magazine a few weeks ago.

I get it, you don't care for vr. Its still very clearly the biggest buzz in the industry at the moment.

Krejlooc

Banned
Right, so Facebook want the tech to flourish before wading in with their money making ideas.

Facebook will never own vr entirely. There are too many players now that the power is divested. The announcement of osvr has ensured vr will not belong to any single company.

I appreciate Facebook doing legwork, and their ambition is smart. From the perspective of a developer, their attempt to stake claim in vr early on is doing more unintentional good than harm.

Abriael

Banned
You're blind. Vr is ruling ces. Its dominating sundance. Fox just declared vr is their future. The nba is all in on vr. Palmer lucky is currently on the cover of forbes and finance times, and was on the cover of time magazine a few weeks ago.

And none of that will matter when customers will see the price tag of all that.

I get it, you don't care for vr.

No, you don't. I love VR, but that doesn't mean I can't size its actual market impact beyond the industry hype, which means very little.

Its still very clearly the biggest buzz in the industry at the moment.

So was 3D. It was also costly, cumbersome, had worse visuals and it wasn't very accessible, exactly like VR.

Bizzquik

Biggest story in gaming?

Yeah, I think he's spot-on. Sony and Microsoft have shipped their consoles. Nintendo seems to be in no hurry to release a WiiU successor. Steam still hasn't figured out their Steam Controller, much less how to work with companies to market the Steam Machines.

Will we see big AAA game titles announced and shipped this year? Sure, same as any year.

So....I don't see what else could be the lead story in video gaming in 2015 besides new tech, and that means Oculus Rift.

I don't really find myself being too excited about VR (I imagine it's one of those "You have to use it to truly grasp how cool it is" things) but that Lucky Palm guy's game of the year list had a lot of stuff I approve on it, so hopefully that's a sign that gaming on VR won't just be a bunch of Naughty Dog-style spectacle or a bunch of fully realized detailed 3D virtual worlds where you don't do jack squat excet look at stuff

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I like Jason, but he doesn't half spout some utter shit. IIRC he was one of the biggest name's saying that 'consoles are dead' about 2 years ago. I don't think something so high-end is gonna be a big deal for the time being.

I get it, you don't care for vr. Its still very clearly the biggest buzz in the industry at the moment.
So was 3D a few years back, and we saw how that went.

Put me into the doubter camp with VR. I don't get this whole trend and despite what everyone is saying I don't think the market is ready for it. It requires too much power to be commercially successful at this point in time. I also don't like the isolation aspect of the system+ other issues I see with it.

Krejlooc

Banned
And none of that will matter when customers will see the price tag of all that.

So, in your mind, you somehow think "Oculus rift fails to sell" wouldn't be enormous news?

So was 3D.

That you lead your paragraph with this after extolling your supposedly discerning eye is funny. You have just demonstrated the most superficial analysis of the market possible.

Abriael

Banned
So, in your mind, you somehow think "Oculus rift fails to sell" wouldn't be enormous news?

Not really. A niche product failing to sell in the droves is not surprising, nor very big news.

That you lead your paragraph with this after extolling your supposedly discerning eye is funny. You have just demonstrated the most superficial analysis of the market possible.

...Because you say so. I don't think "I'm right because I'm right" is a very compelling argument, sorry.

Top Bottom