• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whedonite Apocalypse: BUFFY Rights Holders Set For Whedon-Free Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i666afabc28491e6a5d5861d83ae30855

A new incarnation of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" could be coming to the big screen.

"Buffy" creator Joss Whedon isn't involved and it's not set up at a studio, but Roy Lee and Doug Davison of Vertigo Entertainment are working with original movie director Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, on what is being labeled a remake or relaunch, but not a sequel or prequel.

While Whedon is the person most associated with "Buffy," Kuzui and her Kuzui Enterprises have held onto the rights since the beginning, when she discovered the "Buffy" script from then-unknown Whedon. She developed the script while her husband put together the financing to make the 1992 movie, which was released by Fox.

Kuzui later teamed with Gail Berman, then president of Sandollar Television, bringing back Whedon to make the TV series, which was produced by Fox TV and launched on the WB in 1997. Kuzui and Sandollar received executive producer credits on "Buffy" and its spinoff, "Angel."

The new "Buffy" film, however, would have no connection to the TV series, nor would it use popular supporting characters like Angel, Willow, Xander or Spike. Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."

One of the underlying ideas of "Buffy" allows Vertigo and Kuzui to do just that: that each generation has its own vampire slayer to protect it. The goal would be to make a darker, event-sized movie that would, of course, have franchise potential.

The parties are meeting with writers and hearing takes, and later will look for a home for the project. The producers do not rule out Whedon's involvement but have not yet reached out to him.Speaking from Tokyo, Fran Kuzui said the company is constantly approached not only about sequels but theater, video games and foreign remakes for "Buffy." When Vertigo's Lee contacted them, they were intrigued.

"It was Roy's interest in taking Buffy into a new place that grabbed us," she said, noting that original exec producer Sandy Gallin also was consulted. "It was based on our respect for what he does, and his particular sensitivity to Asian filmmakers, that we wanted to work with him."

Kuzui, who is prepping do direct a movie in Japan in the fall, added: "Everything has its moment. Every movie takes on a life at some point, and this seems like the moment to do this."

And I thought the Dollhouse reactions among the Whedonites were epic....

COMICON '10: THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

gdt

BenjaminBirdie said:
Seriously. They're not burning the original DVDs. Just kick back and watch the dusters fly.

;D

I know, I know.

I'm just scared of what they'd do to my Angel :(.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
shepherdbook.gif

Dies Iræ

BtVS, as a franchise, is indistinguishable from Whedon's characteristic wit, humour, and avant garde approach. A "reset" or "remake" could only succeed insofar that it manages to completely remove itself from the source material - something both inconceivable given the franchise's entrenched image and unwarranted, given it's amazing quality.

Why reproduce near-perfect art? According to this article and the people involved, mainly for the profit incentive. That's a recipe for disaster.

Ripclawe

Banned
Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."

What have you unleashed JJ Abrams. Its not just remaking films like Cliffhanger anymore, its this sort of creative hell.

G-Fex

Ripclawe said:
What have you unleashed JJ Abrams. Its not just remaking films like Cliffhanger anymore, its this sort of creative hell.

Nah leave JJ alone, let's go back to blaming Nolan.

maharg

idspispopd
Meh. I'm intrigued. The original movie was quite different from the series, and in spite of its unpopularity with Whedonites I loved it before there was even a tv show to compare it to. I think there's plenty of room for different visions in the basic concept.

Ripclawe said:

I wouldn't blame JJ necessarily for it, Star Trek most definitely needed that kind of radical change, but Buffy (at least in my head) exists purely in those 7 seasons, with those characters. I could understand maybe exploring that universe a little more but it's not like it's been 40 years since someone has played that character, we're only 6 years removed from the end of that series.

At long last, a remake or a reboot I can firmly put my foot down and say "no thanks."

Snaku

Banned
I was excited when I found out they were making a Buffy TV series. Then I was instantly turned off when I watched the first episode.

4h42fr.jpg

That's Buffy the Vampire Slayer to me.

G-Fex

I caught the buffy movie later which was a good while after I saw the tv series and I still liked it, though that and tv series are on different levels.

gdt

I'm not even a huge Buffy fan (Angel gets that spot), but I definitely don't want this. And I'm not really all that against remakes/reboots in general.

Since Angel was created by Joss (the character, not the show), do the Kuzui's own him as a character just because he was created for Buffy [the show]?

Edit: The movie was...okay. But thats really it.

maharg

idspispopd
Personally, I prefer Buffy *herself* from the movie (SMG has always come across as a bit of a hag to me, and I never for a moment believed she was an ex-cheerleader), but the TV show is generally of higher quality once it gets really going. But one is geared very much to being a one-off 2 hour movie and the other to an ongoing series, so it's really hard to compare them.

Point is, there's room in this world for more than one Buffy.

Christine

Not sure what the hell else they can do with this - the movie already did pretty much everything that can be done with the premise in ~2 hours.

Oh, wait - franchise potential. I can get behind that, most of the best entertainment has a solid business plan backing it.

Dead Man

Shockgamer said:
The same twenty years of pop culture, eternally repackaged.
1985-2005... forever.

Edit: I'm not very familiar with the lore of the TV show. They are talking in the article about a new slayer for a new generation *yawn*, does that mean she would not be called Buffy?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I bet you Whedon ends up getting involved. Although it would be interesting to see another take on the franchise.

I agree that it would be stupid to just let the franchise sit in limbo, it could certainly stand to grow. I mean right now all we have is the Season 8 comic. It's just so hard for me to imagine Buffy without the Scooby Squad. This sounds like Star Trek but with just Kirk.

I'm still surprised we haven't gotten any sort of Buffy movie. Straight to dvd, animated or otherwise.

MisterHero

they can't do a movie because of Season 8

to be honest S8 is being told too slowly for my TV series-loving tastes

I know the comic medium has limits for how much they can make a month, but it's not the same.

i was kinda expecting a buffy movie before serenity, but whatever. :p

Never saw the TV show, but really liked the movie. Given that the movie seems to be in the same "serious" vein as the TV show, I'll pass.

Well, they can't get rid of the girl power, but hopefully they can do away with all of the irritating over-the-top constant unwitty quipping that plagues everything Whedon touches.

Can you have someone answer a yes or no question with something that is wholly unexpected? Congratulations, you're capable of writing oh-so-snappy Whedon dialogue.*

*this paragraph is a word for word transcript of jane espenson's job interview

ivysaur12

Banned
Snaku said:
I was excited when I found out they were making a Buffy TV series. Then I was instantly turned off when I watched the first episode.

That's Buffy the Vampire Slayer to me.

No. Not at all. The movie pales in comparison to the television show.

I personally would be wary of anything Whedon doesn't have almost direct control over in terms of Buffy. This has the potential to be devastatingly horrible.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't like Joss Whedon. I can't believe that males over the age of 18 do. That said, remaking anything Buffy is just ridiculous. The original movie is what, 16 years old? They are already doing a remake? Leave well enough alone, damn!

Troidal

Can we expect Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry for the long awaited sequel to the movie?

I bet most kids dont even know it was originally a movie.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm shocked, SHOCKED that Roy Lee, king of remakes, is behind this :lol

When i was young i used to watch the movie all the time. It actually isn't that bad. I have a soft spot for it. Campy fun. I was excited when i saw that they made it into a tv show. God the early seasons of Buffy were so damn good.

This news sucks and i hope nothing comes of it. It does, however, leave me yearning for a real Buffy film from Whedon starring all the main players.

What's the consensus on the Buffy comics btw? Now that the horrible aftertaste of the shitacular season 7 has worn away a little, i'm thinking of giving them a try.

web01

Whedon probly doesnt wasnt in, im sure he has moved on from what he spent so many years of his life working on.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I blame Twilight. If that dreck weren't so popular, we wouldn't be in the eye of a vampire fadstorm, where anything with fangs is plastered, packaged, and sold to the salivating hounds of mass consumerism. Next up: Blade: The Re-Beginning Again.

Cartman86

Banned
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck Twilight. I sound like an old fart but damnit there are so many much better Vampire films and shows around over the past 20 years. Hell in the year of Twilight we had two much better ones (Let the Right One In, True Blood).

Cartman86

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
I don't like Joss Whedon. I can't believe that males over the age of 18 do. That said, remaking anything Buffy is just ridiculous. The original movie is what, 16 years old? They are already doing a remake? Leave well enough alone, damn!

We are what you call "pussies"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom