• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did god become a sports fan? (CNN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/wayoflife/05/25/God.sports/index.html?hpt=C1
(CNN) -- Rich Franklin cornered the man who challenged him and launched a looping kick that caught him on his jaw.

The man's face flushed red, and his knees wobbled. Franklin moved in, pounding his opponent with haymakers until he collapsed, grimacing.

Franklin, an Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight, had just scored another victory. The chiseled fighter took the ringside microphone and faced the roaring crowd.

"I want to say thanks to God, all praise to him," he said. Then he bowed and folded his hands in prayer as his groggy opponent was led outside the ring.

Was it Franklin's right hand or was it the hand of God that helped him smite his opponent? Ringside viewers may disagree, but God seems to be standing in the corner of a lot of victorious athletes these days.

Baseball players point to the heavens after hitting home runs; NFL players pray in the end zone after scoring. Competitors routinely thank Jesus, along with their sponsors, in post-game interviews.

Thanking God from the winner's circle has become so common that one British newspaper published a letter to the editor entitled: "Leave me out of your petty games --Love, God."

The British letter raised a question: Does God care who wins on game day? And, if so, do losers somehow have less faith?

Praising God or selling one's goodness?

Franklin, the UFC fighter, says he doesn't know if God cared if he knocked out Travis "The Serial Killer" Lutter in Montreal, Canada. But "it doesn't hurt to ask."

"Win or lose, I always thank God for what he's given me," says Franklin, an evangelical Christian.

Franklin says he thanks God after victories because he has felt God's presence in the midst of mixed martial arts battle.

"There are times when I've been in fights and I felt like I was about to lose and all of a sudden things turned around on me," he says. "My opponent lost his position. I wiggled my way out of a submission. I felt like there was a hand in it."

Yet some sports commentators say assuming God is a sports fan trivializes faith.

Athletes who publicly thank God for victory are often calling more attention to themselves than their faith, says William J. Baker, author of "Playing with God."

They are selling their goodness, and their brand of faith, to a captive audience, says Baker, who describes himself as a Christian.

"I don't think it's the right place and it's not the right gesture," says Baker, a former high school quarterback. "It's an athlete using a moment to sell a product, like soap."

What many of these pious athletes are also selling is an evangelical, winner-take-all gospel, Baker says.

"There are many similarities between the athletic and the evangelical take on life," Baker says. "Both are competitive, capitalistic. It's good guys versus bad guys. You have winners -- people who are saved -- and losers -- people who are going to hell."

Tom Krattenmaker, author of "Onward Christian Athletes," says many evangelical athletes who publicly thank Jesus for victory have nothing to say about other issues such as the pervasive use of steroids in sports or racial discrimination against aspiring minority coaches.

"It's an incomplete Christianity that's brought to bear on sports, " Krattenmaker says. "They are blind and silent on the larger moral issues that vex the sports sector."

When did God become a sports fan?

It's hard to pinpoint when athletes started invoking God on game day. The late NFL Hall of Famer Reggie White, the "Minister of Defense," was one of the first professional athletes to routinely thank Jesus after victories during his career in the 1990s.

Baker, the author, says that as far back as 1943, Gil "The Flying Parson" Dodds, an American distance runner, would give Jesus credit for his victories. Dodds signed autographs with a scriptural reference to Philippians 4:13 ("I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me").

One of the first professional athletes to attract criticism for invoking God after victory was Michael Chang, an American professional tennis player.

Chang won the French Open in 1989 as a 17-year-old underdog. He was booed by a Parisian crowd when he thanked Jesus for his victory at the tournament's trophy presentation.

Chang, who now helps runs a Christian Sports League in California, says he thanked Jesus not to gloat, but to show gratitude.

"When I go out there and share my faith, I'm not saying God is on my side and he's not on your side," Chang says. "The Lord loves everybody, and the Lord is on everyone's side."

He says he felt that there were moments during his French Open run when Jesus spurred him on to victory. Chang, who is Chinese-American, says his victory encouraged Chinese people who were demonstrating in Tiananmen Square during his French Open run.

"I felt like there was a much greater purpose for the Lord getting me through those matches," he says. "A lot of people don't remember that Tiananmen Square was going on."

'Jesus wasn't a metrosexual'

Athletes who publicly thank God for their victories also cite another purpose for the practice: evangelism.

Franklin, the UFC fighter, says his success shows young men that being a Christian doesn't mean being a pushover.

"Jesus was fearless, not someone you provoked," Franklin says. "He's a man's man. He was a carpenter who worked with his hands. He wasn't a metrosexual who did his nails."

Jesus also said, according to the New Testament, that the "last shall be first." So what about the losers who are trudging off the field as the winners thank God for victory: Is God punishing them for having less faith?

Mike Sweeney, a devout Roman Catholic who plays baseball for the Seattle, Washington, Mariners, doesn't accept that view of faith.

"If I'm facing Andy Pettitte on the Yankees and I'm praying for a home run, and he's praying for a strikeout, I don't think the result is going to show who has greater faith," Sweeney says.

Sweeney says athletes can sometimes reveal more about their faith when they fail.

"It's easy being a Christian when you're hitting .345, but you let me know who you really are when you're hitting .245 and going through the valley," Sweeney says.

Sweeney doesn't pray for victory or point to the heavens when he gets a big hit.

God isn't as interested in what he says as what he does, Sweeney says.

"Saint Francis of of Assisi says preach the gospel at all times and, when necessary, use words," Sweeney says. "That's something I've tried to live my whole life."

Jesus was fearless, not someone you provoked," Franklin says. "He's a man's man. He was a carpenter who worked with his hands. He wasn't a metrosexual who did his nails."

HOLY SHIT.....literally :lol

ToxicAdam

Jesus is overdue for an image change.

lumberjack.jpg

Brinbe

Rich Franklin's an idiot... :lol

But Mike Sweeney's POV doesn't sound so bad, certainly closer to how I view it too.

ToxicAdam

There's an old SNL skit that dealt with Jesus' early work as a carpenter. It shows him building a two-legged chair and a spice rack that's slanted at a 45 degree angle (and all the spices slide off). So, he decides that this profession isn't for him so he has to fall back on the messiah thing.

I was expecting the thread to be about this douche.

tim-tebow-vent.jpg

I can't stand it when idiot athletes wear their religion on their sleeve. And I say this as a Christian.

Kurt Warner blames Jesus for losing Super Bowl

Tampa, FL (KE) -- Kurt Warner, the 37-year-old veteran quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals, blamed the Christian God for the team's heartbreaking loss to the Pittsburg Steelers in Sunday night's Superbowl XLIII. Speaking to a pool of gathered reporters outside the team's locker room, Warner stated, "I always credit God for my victories and earlier this week I said I had an advantage in tonight's game because of the power of Jesus. Clearly, however, Jesus let me down. And so I am not responsible for tonight's loss. If you want someone to blame, this one is 100% on the man upstairs."

For a while, it appeared that God would give the Cardinals their first Superbowl win in franchise history. But with time running out at the end of the second half, the Steelers, trailing by a field goal, managed to score the game-winning touchdown.

"Did you see the way that Santonio Holmes came down with that ball?" Warner asked sports reporters incredulously after the Superbowl. "Both his feet touched the inside of the endzone before he went flying out of bounds. You can clearly tell that invisible angels pushed his toes into the turf to give him that touchdown completion. Clearly, God made us lose."

God's abandonment of Kurt Warner and the Arizona Cardinals was foreshadowed at the end of the first half, when Warner attempted a touchdown pass from the Steelers' one yard line, which was intercepted by Harrison and run back for a 100-yeard interception return and a touchdown. "That's really when I started to suspect that God and Jesus had forsaken me," Warner admits. "I walked in the faith of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. And how does he repay me? By feeding the fucking ball to Harrison and turning a Cardinal touchdown into a Steeler touchdown like it was water turning into wine."

Warner is also quick to notice that if that play had not been intercepted, the Cardinals would have won by ten points instead of losing by four. "God cost us the Superbowl," Warner stated, matter-of-factly. "It's as simple as that."

:D

ckohler said:
So, rather than admit that there simply is no god when the concept fails him, he'd rather believe he was forsaken?! People like this are outside my realm of comprehension. It's like they have superstition so far up their ass they can't even shit straight.
That actually read like a joke where someone was making fun of the concept of thanking God for the win by inverting it, not an actual serious thing.

edit: Tags: Recommended, Super Bowl, Kurt Warner, Arizona Cardinals, God, Pittsburgh Steelers, Jesus, Satire, Snark (all tags) :: Previous Tag Versions

ckohler said:
So, rather than admit that there simply is no god when the concept fails him, he'd rather believe he was forsaken?! People like this are outside my realm of comprehension. It's like they have superstition so far up their ass they can't even shit straight.

Seriously can't see the satire?

There was an old onion article with the same angle, I'll see if I can find it.

chase

I've always said this. But, as ridiculous as it is, it's one of the least stupid things about religion.

JBaird

Banned
BertramCooper said:
I was expecting the thread to be about this douche.

tim-tebow-vent.jpg

I can't stand it when idiot athletes wear their religion on their sleeve. And I say this as a Christian.

Why? They are doing something very little individuals will ever get the possibility to do, so of course they are going to feel blessed. I'd rather them feel blessed and humble than be a complete jackass and feel the world revolves around then and that they deserved to be there no matter what. It's not like Tebow is going around trying to convert people, hes just very expressive of his lifestyle.

ckohler

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Seriously can't see the satire?
There was an old onion article with the same angle, I'll see if I can find it.
I didn't realize it was satire however it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

Prayer, as I've come to understand it, is a Christian lining his will with God's will. Sure, you can pray for miracles, or a guiding hand, but it is just that - something that is guided and not as a result of you asking God for a miracle.

If God knows everything and you ask for something that he isn't going to do, does that make you not a true Christian? This touches on something that goes beyond sports really.

JBaird said:
Why? They are doing something very little individuals will ever get the possibility to do, so of course they are going to feel blessed. I'd rather them feel blessed and humble than be a complete jackass and feel the world revolves around then and that they deserved to be there no matter what. It's not like Tebow is going around trying to convert people, hes just very expressive of his lifestyle.
http://www.btea.org

What aggravates me about Tebow is when he says shit like this:

Tim Tebow said:
"We're going to win because we're going to handle it the right way, we're going to be humble with it, with God leading us."
That was right before the BCS Championship against Oklahoma. Apparently that means Satan was pulling for the Sooners.

I'm trying to wean myself off sports, it's too time consuming. I don't watch football anymore, I gave that up. I got tired of the interviews after the games, because the winning players always give credit to God, and the losers blame themselves. You know, just once I'd like to hear a player say, 'Yeah, we were in the game, until Jesus made me fumble. He hates our team.'

-Jeff Stilson

Edit: Oh wait . . . it finally happened? :lol Maybe it was a tribute to Jeff Stilson.

DonMigs85

I don't think God would care to meddle in some silly sports. Besides, if their are truly devout members on both teams, why would He play favorites?

dyls

Can't find the video, but this was a great SNL skit with Will Ferrell and Kelsey Grammar about the Lumberjack Championships

Vince Thomas: Welcome back! To ESPN2's coverage of the 1998 Lumberjack Classic. I'm Vince Thomas, here with our champion, Clive Sundstrum. Clive, your -- How does it feel!

Clive Sundstrum: Uh - well, first of all, I - I have to give thanks to the Lord for blessing me today. Uh - I was swinging great, my cuts were clean, and, with Jesus Christ at my side, I pulled it off.

Vince Thomas: Tell us about the pole-climbing competititon, that is traditionally your weakest event. But, this year, different story!

Clive Sundstrum: Yeah. Well, uh - I was halfway up the pole, I was getting kind of tired, and, uh, suddenly, just like He's done so many times before, Jesus Christ, Eternal Son of God, climbed into my arms.

Vince Thomas: Jesus did?

Clive Sundstrum: Right. Jesus. And, uh - once He was in my arms, I just, uh - zoooom!! - flew right up the pole. That was all Jesus.

Vince Thomas: Okay. Wow! Quite a display.

Clive Sundstrum: Yeah. Yeah, I know. Some day He'll sit in judgement over us all, but for now, He's helping me win lumberjack contests. It's great to have Him aboard!

Vince Thomas: Well, now, you hit a rough spot in the underhand chopping event --

Clive Sundstrum: Yep.

Vince Thomas: A few mis-hits, you swung an axe handle. What happened?

Clive Sundstrum: Yeah. I gotta say, Jesus really blew that one. Uh.. I know He had a long day - a plane went down, there was an earthquake somewhere, I think but I'm trying to win a title here! I can't afford to have Jesus fall asleep at the wheel! Okay?

Vince Thomas: Yeah. You and Jesus seemed to have pulled it together after that, though?

Clive Sundstrum: Yeah! Good ol' Jesus. He's a clutch player! The guy's a winner. He's got a lot of heart.

Vince Thomas: Right. Right. Joining us now, is second-place finisher, Bill Fromph, from Grisham, Oregon. Bill. Wow. Touch luck today, huh? What happened?

Bill Fromph: Uh, well - you can't expect to win a classic like this without a little help from, uh - J.C. on your side. You know? What can I say? I guess, uh, Clive's always hogging Jesus!

Vince Thomas: Clive, how do you respond to the allegation that you are a Jesus hog?

Clive Sundstrum: Hey! Hey, I'm not the boss of Jesus, okay? If the Son of God wants to help me climb poles and roll dudes off logs - hey, I'm all for it!

Bill Fromph: Hey, that's a bunch of crap, man! You know - if he gets Jesus, we should get Jesus! Yeah! He always gets all the Jesus! Give us some Jesus!!

Clive Sundstrum: Hey, you shut up!! Don't make me get Jesus on you!!

Bill Fromph: Alright, alright, I'm cool, bro. I'm cool. [ exits ]

Vince Thomas: [ stunned ] Once again - the power and partisanship of Jesus Christ, reeking havoc here at the Lumberjack Championship. Let's take a look at the standings.

I'm of two minds on this. I think it is a little silly that these athletes think God cares about whether they win or lose, of course.

At the same time I just like that they're out there talking about their faith, even if they do it in such a strange way. Athletes are (admittedly unwarranted) role models to a lot of people, and so I like that they're public about their faith.

Seems like it's 'cool' in pop culture to be athiest or agnostic nowadays, and it kinda makes me afraid for future generations. The more religion the better, so I guess I kinda hope these athletes keep it up.

I understand why people are critical of it though.

DonMigs85

Whoompthereitis said:
Seems like it's 'cool' in pop culture to be athiest or agnostic nowadays, and it kinda makes me afraid for future generations.
Yes indeed, and what's worse is they act all smug about it. And they must think the kooky ultra-conservative Pokemon-burning types represent most religious folks.

Tntnnbltn

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Hands up who else hovered over the link to check for The Onion.

Whoompthereitis said:
Seems like it's 'cool' in pop culture to be athiest or agnostic nowadays, and it kinda makes me afraid for future generations. The more religion the better, so I guess I kinda hope these athletes keep it up.
I can never tell if you are serious or a religious-themed version of Astrolad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom