• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think Microsoft will react to potentially losing next gen battle?

Eoin

Link.

While it only goes through 2011, you get the picture.
Those MS figures are for the entertainment and devices division, rather than just the Xbox. We have no idea how much the Xbox brand has lost or made over the years, as its profits have been obscured and its losses exaggerated by products like the Zune, Kin, Windows phone etc. As you say though the division has been profitable since 2007 even with the losses from these products, which suggests the Xbox has been making very healthy profits in recent years. Anyway past losses are irrelevant to the company, they have been long since absorbed into the share price, investors only care about the future outlook.

Biker19

Banned
Those MS figures are for the entertainment and devices division, rather than just the Xbox. We have no idea how much the Xbox brand has lost or made over the years, as its profits have been obscured and its losses exaggerated by products like the Zune, Kin, Windows phone etc. As you say though the division has been profitable since 2007 even with the losses from these products, which suggests the Xbox has been making very healthy profits in recent years. Anyway past losses are irrelevant to the company, they have been long since absorbed into the share price, investors only care about the future outlook.

Even if Microsoft made profits with the Xbox brand since 2008, it's very miniscule. 2011 was their best year in that with $1.2 Billion (just about enough to wipe out the $1 Billion from the RROD scandal).

Another graph about that here.

d9b

Banned
If Titanfall doesn't pull some massive numbers in terms of new XboxOne consoles being sold (I doubt it will) the board of directors are going to pull the plug.

Even Microsoft made profits with the Xbox brand since 2008, it's very miniscule. 2011 was their best year in that with $1.2 Billion (just about enough to wipe out the $1 Billion from the RROD scandal).

I guess that explains why Microsoft may be pulling out of gaming. Lol. Now show the graph of the same time frame for Sony and it's gaming division.

Like the above person said, previous years of losses have already been absorbed. It's not like Microsoft needs to sell assets to keep afloat or anything.

If Titanfall doesn't pull some massive numbers in terms of new XboxOne consoles being sold (I doubt it will) the board of directors are going to pull the plug.

So you think April 20th or there abouts and based on the power of a small game investment they will cancel out of a multi billion dollar console investment that gives them a view into loads of media services. Ok.

CoG

Microsoft's battle isn't with Sony and Nintendo

Who is it with then? I've been trying to figure out this whole "living room" thing ever since it was said about the original Xbox. Who are they trying to beat to the living room?

Who's winning the living room now? I'd guess it's the cable providers and as that wains it will be Netflix, Amazon, and the likes. I don't see how Microsoft competes there as they allow Xfinity, Netflix, Amazon Instant on their device rendering the Xbox a really expensive Roku.

What's their end game here?

Skeff

Who is it with then? I've been trying to figure out this whole "living room" thing ever since it was said about the original Xbox. Who are they trying to beat to the living room?

Who's winning the living room now? I'd guess it's the cable providers and as that wains it will be Netflix, Amazon, and the likes. I don't see how Microsoft competes there as they allow Xfinity, Netflix, Amazon Instant on their device rendering the Xbox a really expensive Roku.

What's their end game here?

I think I've already talked about this, originally it was to stop Sony, right now it's likely their best way to control the TV, MS would be happy with you watching lovefilm/netflix/Xfinity, as long as you have the XB1 overlay on it, It's a way to make other companies products viewed through a Microsoft product, this allows for great advertising/marketing potential and allows MS to sell an aggregation service to the consumer where MS provide the portal you view these services on.

At the moment they're competing with a hypothetical Android/iOS viewing box.

EDIT: I don't know who is winning the living room in US, but in UK I'd say Sky are winning it, a lot of people are watching iPlayer/ITV player 4od/ Sky movies on demand (basically NowTV) as well as all of the Live channels through the Sky portal, The only thing thats really missing is Netflix, which is countered by Sky's own on demand service, which in the UK, is definitely comparable to Netflix.

JackHerer

Do you actually think this? They aren't betting their entire platform on one game that is being released less than 6 months from launch. I think they are in it for at least this generation and will do what they need to for the Xbox One to become profitable. They aren't pulling the plug anytime soon with the investment they have made in developing and producing the console.

Despite the rumors and random comments about xbox being a drag, Microsoft isn't going to get rid of the Xbox anytime soon. It's fantasy-thinking, and merely acts as FUD in this era of stupid fanboys slinging mud against one another.

If it were performing less than the WiiU for a couple of years, then perhaps I could see a radical shift in thinking. As it stands now, the console is doing fine, if not PS4 numbers.

Biker19

Banned
I guess that explains why Microsoft may be pulling out of gaming. Lol. Now show the graph of the same time frame for Sony and it's gaming division.

Like I said earlier, the profits that Microsoft made with the Xbox are miniscule in comparison to Windows, Office, & even Servers as shown in that graph. Microsoft wants BIG, big profits, not tiny ones.

Plus I've already posted the other graph in which deals with Nintendo, Sony, & Microsoft in their gaming divisions earlier.

harSon

Banned
Like I said earlier, the profits that Microsoft made with the Xbox are miniscule in comparison to Windows, Office, & even Servers as shown in that graph. Microsoft wants BIG, big profits, not tiny ones.

Plus I've already posted the other graph in which deals with Nintendo, Sony, & Microsoft in their gaming divisions earlier.

I wouldn't exactly call the Xbox's profits minuscule. For a while, the Xbox division was the only division at Microsoft experiencing significant growth quarter after a quarter, and around the time of the original Kinect's release, the entertainment division pulled in around a $1 billion of profit for the year. Mismanagement of the division is the issue, not the platform's potential for meaningful profit.

Spades

LOL

People acting like the Xbox One is barely selling any units.

I can only imagine some ppl are sweating harder than an evangelical in a dinosaur museum if Titanfall doesn't sell well on bone.

I expect lots of PR damage and grouping of numbers (PC,bone,360) with no splits to hide the damage.

Look beyond their entertainment and devices and into their tool development like Visual Studio for the real income generated by their investment and focus on gaming. Yes, not all sales of VS result in game applications but a fair number of them do and it makes sense for MS to want those people using their tools to circle back and deliver content for their platforms. It is a big ecosystem and there are tendrils of it everywhere that get monetized.

Eoin

Even Microsoft made profits with the Xbox brand since 2008, it's very miniscule. 2011 was their best year in that with $1.2 Billion (just about enough to wipe out the $1 Billion from the RROD scandal).

You're confusing EAD with Xbox. We have no figures on how much Xbox has or hasn't made, which was the entire point of my post.

Biker19

Banned
Look beyond their entertainment and devices and into their tool development like Visual Studio for the real income generated by their investment and focus on gaming. Yes, not all sales of VS result in game applications but a fair number of them do and it makes sense for MS to want those people using their tools to circle back and deliver content for their platforms. It is a big ecosystem and there are tendrils of it everywhere that get monetized.

You're confusing EAD with Xbox. We have no figures on how much Xbox has or hasn't made, which was the entire point of my post.

If the entire Xbox division truly made a profit & is in the black, then why did Microsoft refuse to post the numbers about it, etc.? What are they waiting for?

GhaleonEB

That's kind of a big "if" at the end there. Magnavox and Coleco's exit from the market made way for Nintendo and SEGA. Atari's exit left the door open for Sony. SEGA stepped down to make way for Microsoft.

I would readily argue that this industry has only benefited from the failure of console manufacturers who couldn't compete effectively. I think we're pretty clearly seeing another situation where one of the current three needs to go, though at the moment Nintendo and Microsoft seem to be in a race to the bottom to decide who it should be.

Right, I didn't mean to imply no one would fill the void. My main point was that we've seen the major shifts in competition in the generational transitions more so than during them. (But not only, of course.) I had to stop writing at some point!

Then what we have is competition.

Companies don't only compete against actual competitors, they compete against hypothetical competitors. They compete against the capability for anyone and everyone to enter the market if they believe they could do a better job than the current market leader is.

If the market leader is doing such a good job that no one really believes it's worthwhile to try to beat them - as in the case of Steam - that's not actually a monopoly, it's just a market where the incumbent market leader has been sufficiently honed by hypothetical competition to stay on top of their game.

If we end up with a one-system generation, and that makes Sony lazy and stupid, then the cost to enter the market drops dramatically because you're suddenly no longer competing against a sleek and hungry market leader who's honed their business to perfection. You no longer have to price yourself into bankruptcy to offer similar products at similar prices. The barrier to entry lowers or raises based on the competency of the current market leader.

To go back the Steam example, imagine if Steam said, "We're the only show in town. No one can really opt out of Steam anymore. We can just charge twice as much for everything and get stupid rich!" Now, suddenly, someone attempting to overthrow Steam in the market isn't looking at a situation where they're going to have to spend billions to price-match Steam, they're instead looking at a situation where they can charge 30% less than Steam and still make a sizable profit; they would be able to dethrone the current market leader easily.

Frankly, at the moment it seems that Sony is responding more to the threat of hypothetical competitors - and their own past incompetence - than to anything Microsoft or Nintendo is doing. That, to me, means that we have reached the point where Nintendo and Microsoft are no longer valid competitors, and it's probably time for whichever one of the two (if not both) can't right their ship and offer something competitive to hit the road.

Fantastic post.

Freki

Then what we have is competition.

Companies don't only compete against actual competitors, they compete against hypothetical competitors. They compete against the capability for anyone and everyone to enter the market if they believe they could do a better job than the current market leader is.

If the market leader is doing such a good job that no one really believes it's worthwhile to try to beat them - as in the case of Steam - that's not actually a monopoly, it's just a market where the incumbent market leader has been sufficiently honed by hypothetical competition to stay on top of their game.

If we end up with a one-system generation, and that makes Sony lazy and stupid, then the cost to enter the market drops dramatically because you're suddenly no longer competing against a sleek and hungry market leader who's honed their business to perfection. You no longer have to price yourself into bankruptcy to offer similar products at similar prices. The barrier to entry lowers or raises based on the competency of the current market leader.

To go back the Steam example, imagine if Steam said, "We're the only show in town. No one can really opt out of Steam anymore. We can just charge twice as much for everything and get stupid rich!" Now, suddenly, someone attempting to overthrow Steam in the market isn't looking at a situation where they're going to have to spend billions to price-match Steam, they're instead looking at a situation where they can charge 30% less than Steam and still make a sizable profit; they would be able to dethrone the current market leader easily.

Frankly, at the moment it seems that Sony is responding more to the threat of hypothetical competitors - and their own past incompetence - than to anything Microsoft or Nintendo is doing. That, to me, means that we have reached the point where Nintendo and Microsoft are no longer valid competitors, and it's probably time for whichever one of the two (if not both) can't right their ship and offer something competitive to hit the road.

Really good post - should be a mandatory read for anybody who brings up the "but competition is good" argument.

Balb

Microsoft will make significant moves later this year for sure. They can't continue down the path they're on right now. Their console is $100 more expensive and word continues to spread about games running worse on Xbox compared to the PS4. The reception to Kinect hasn't outweighed the hardware disadvantage thus far. Also Xbox Live Gold isn't nearly as appealing as it used to be. PS+ offers more value despite being $10 cheaper (though I'm expecting a PS+ price increase this or next year). I expect Microsoft to add much more value to their service in response to PS+

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Here's another thing that kind of annoys me about the 'well they're not doing as badly as the Wii U so they don't really have to do anything to 'win''.

Microsoft aren't (or shouldn't) be aiming to just 'make profit', as though getting one cent back than they put in is good enough. They want to make as much profit as possible, and they're not going to do that by merely swanning through the entire generation into a cozy but distant second place with a handful of mid-tier exclusives and worse value than PS4 across the board. They're literally pissing money away by doing that, and it sure as fuck is not going to make me (or, likely, most GAFfers) buy one.

They should be hungry RIGHT NOW, when they're only ~300-500K behind, not basically unconcerned because 'ehhhh, profit', and happy to ride mediocrity for seven years. They should be planning to blow everybody who's ever made a joke about how shit their product is out of the water (and not just be announcing a new fucking Forza game and acting like I should pretend that it's mana from the gods).

There's literally absolutely zero excuse for MS to not be working as hard as they possibly can get to get as many people as possible to buy their console.

CoG

I can only imagine some ppl are sweating harder than an evangelical in a dinosaur museum if Titanfall doesn't sell well on bone.

I expect lots of PR damage and grouping of numbers (PC,bone,360) with no splits to hide the damage.

It will outsell Infamous for March ('bone + 360 + PC) so that's how it will be trumpeted.

Sydle

If the Xbox division truly made a profit, then why did Microsoft refuse to post the numbers about it, etc.? What are they waiting for?

I don't remember them reporting financials publically by product for any division. Why would they make an exception for Xbox?

Coconut

Banned
They'll react next fall just before going into holiday sales. Why worry until then when they are still snatching up those early adopter dollars. Thought if Titanfall doesn't do well it might spoke them enough to do something but nothing drastic enough to say remove the Kinect like I think we will see next fall.

Man

What's the highest attach ratio we can expect for Titanfall Xbox One? 35-40%?
If 4 million Xbox Ones has been sold to customers by end of March then that's 1.6million copies.
We might see a million copies shifted on NPD simply because it's the biggest/most important exclusive on the platform for possibly the remainder of the year.

Freki

Here's another thing that kind of annoys me about the 'well they're not doing as badly as the Wii U so they don't really have to do anything to 'win''.

Microsoft aren't (or shouldn't) be aiming to just 'make profit', as though getting one cent back than they put in is good enough. They want to make as much profit as possible, and they're not going to do that by merely swanning through the entire generation into a cozy but distant second place with a handful of mid-tier exclusives and worse value than PS4 across the board. They're literally pissing money away by doing that, and it sure as fuck is not going to make me (or, likely, most GAFfers) buy one.

They should be hungry RIGHT NOW, when they're only ~300-500K behind, not basically unconcerned because 'ehhhh, profit', and happy to ride mediocrity for seven years. They should be planning to blow everybody who's ever made a joke about how shit their product is out of the water (and not just be announcing a new fucking Forza game and acting like I should pretend that it's mana from the gods).

There's literally absolutely zero excuse for MS to not be working as hard as they possibly can get to get as many people as possible to buy their console.

Good luck trying to hammer home that point. The concept of opportunity cost is lost on many people here (and elsewhere) - the idea that that money could be used in a more efficient manner simply doesn't click with them... "Microsoft has trillions why would they care about a few billions if they are making profit..."

KingJ2002

Of course some of you may well say the war is already over, but I think only the most ardent MS fan would claim that they are selling more than PS4...

All evidence is now pointing to PS4 pulling away? is NPD reports are accurate, surely no company as big as MS would accept being outsold, I appreciate PS3 did but Sony never had the money to rectify the situation..

I am guessing Titanfall is the big one (I read a lot of people saying it wont make a bit of difference) but we don't know that, as no one can see into the future..

If as some predict Titanfall does not produce a comeback do they go aggressive and at least price match the PS4, as surely that would be a sensible move, as at least then consumers have a straight choice..

As the moment they are the same price, MS arguably would have a good shot, sure it may not be as powerful but then they 'claim' they have the multimedia extras.

So, in summary....when do they act, or could they do the unthinkable and accept being second and just do the spin they come out with each time NPD report

Way too early for this thread.

I honestly expect a lower priced SKU to come in be e3 with Kinect downplayed a bit... which will turn things around.... i think it will be a neck and neck race long term.

Sydle

Really good post - should be a mandatory read for anybody who brings up the "but competition is good" argument.

It's logical, however his conclusion about Microsoft is wrong.

Microsoft is competing against the hypothetical (and I'd argue real) competition from Apple, Google, and Amazon for all the devices and services in your everyday life, which encompasses work and play. Azure, Office, Outlook.com, OneDrive, Windows, Xbox (games, music, video), Surface, Bing, IE, Windows Phone; Gmail, Google Play, Google Drive, Chrome, Google.com, Google Glass; iOS, iCloud, iTunes, iWork, Safari, iPhone, Apple TV. They're each developing wearable technologies.

Xbox is their entertainment arm, to fight Google Play and iTunes, and arguably to go up against their cloud offerings and digital store fronts with the inevitable shift to completely digital entertainment. It's why Microsoft has been branding the Xbox 360 and One as entertainment devices. It's why they consolidated their TV, movie, music, and games initiatives all under Xbox (think back to Mediacenter, Mediaroom, Zune, Kin, GFWL, etc.). It's why Xbox is not just in the living room, but also available on any Windows 8 device. It's why they now have studios focused on original TV programs (LA Studio), others focused on cross-device games (Lift London), and pretty much all their first party studios with job postings that include cross-device experience (go look up BlackTusk, Rare, Lionhead, and 343).

Anyone suggesting MS will ditch the Xbox division is suggesting they are going to give Apple and Google competitive advantages in the consumer market. You've either got tunnel vision and can't see the landscape each of those companies are fighting on, or you're just naive.

There was already a shift in the mobile market, from dedicated gaming devices to multi-purpose devices (smartphones and tablets). The same thing will happen in the living room, away from dedicated gaming consoles and cable boxes towards multi-purpose devices. It's a matter of when, not if.

Biker19

Banned

That's exactly what I've been saying earlier.

Good luck trying to hammer home that point. The concept of opportunity cost is lost on many people here (and elsewhere) - the idea that that money could be used in a more efficient manner simply doesn't click with them... "Microsoft has trillions why would they care about a few billions if they are making profit..."

Exactly. There seems to be many posters on here that thinks that Microsoft is invincible just because they have a lot of money. I just don't get that thinking, I really don't...

What's the highest attach ratio we can expect for Titanfall Xbox One? 35-40%?
If 4 million Xbox Ones has been sold to customers by end of March then that's 1.6million copies.
We might see a million copies shifted on NPD simply because it's the biggest/most important exclusive on the platform for possibly the remainder of the year.

The X1 will not be at 4 million by march. They might reach it by the end of that month but I think April is more likely. By then the PS4 should be well on it's way to 8 million (assuming demand doesn't drastically die out).

CoG

Exactly. There seems to be many posters on here that thinks that Microsoft is invincible just because they have a lot of money. I just don't get that thinking, I really don't...

It used to be that way in the 90s and early 2000s where if Microsoft went into a market they would dominate it by pouring money into it and buying out or rolling over anyone who stood in their way.

We've seen a long string of failures out of Microsoft for the past decade (Zune, Vista, Windows Phone, OG Windows tablets, Surface RT, Kin...) The reason being when they cannot leverage their Windows monopoly all the money in the world can't do a damn to sell a product if people don't want it.

MercuryLS

Banned
There's not much MS can do, with 360 they had a year lead, lower price and lots of de facto exclusives due to being first on the market. Sony fucked up PS3's launch so badly that it gave them even more momentum. This gen Sony executed a nearly perfect launch, $100 less than Xbox, more powerful, stronger worldwide brand and demand.

The only market they are in any way competitive in is NA and they're currently being outsold here 2:1. This is going to be a rough gen for the Xbox brand, even with a price drop and dropping Kinect the only market this is going to make any difference in is NA. Sony is going to run away with this gen, the writing is on the wall.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There's not much MS can do, with 360 they had a year lead, lower price and lots of de facto exclusives due to being first on the market. Sony fucked up PS3's launch so badly that it gave them even more momentum. This gen Sony executed a nearly perfect launch, $100 less than Xbox, more powerful, stronger worldwide brand and demand.

The only market they are in any way competitive in is NA and they're currently being outsold here 2:1. This is going to be a rough gen for the Xbox brand, even with a price drop and dropping Kinect the only market this is going to make any difference in is NA. Sony is going to run away with this gen, the writing is on the wall.

They could at least try.

Look I'm fairly critical of XB1 and MS, maybe even more than I should be but this is just a silly statement. MS are rational people, perhaps a bit myopic in some of their ventures but they have intelligent individuals working for them and would have analysts already run the numbers to what the effects from TF might be XB1 sales-wise. Those estimates are going to be realistic. This sort of approach is likely why they decided to buy full exclusivity instead of timed to try and bolster sales over the time until TF 2 comes out.

In essence MS know that TF will not magically save the XB1 as no one game can.

Besides that even if TF bombed harder than DK:TF did in Japan, MS wouldn't pull the plug. One game a failed console does not make. MS have invested a lot of money into the XB1 and the Xbox brand so while people love to argue about whether sunk cost investments matter in the decisions made by corporations, execs are going to feel strongly about the brand and try everything they can to save it. It's MS after all and Xbox ain't the Zune.

A bit off topic but I really feel like the "next" xbox is going to be a service available on windows products but that's just me

MercuryLS

Banned
They could at least try.

Yeah they should at least try to do something. Right now $500 for an XB1 w/ Kinect ain't doing shit for them. It reminds me of Wii U's launch, ~3 million hardcore of the hardcore fans served at launch then demand drops off a cliff. They need to react quickly before all momentum is lost in NA.

Also, the network effect with these consoles is really really strong. People want to buy and play with friends that own the same machine. Letting Sony lead in this market by a large margin for too long will cause a lot of problems for them throughout the gen.

Freki

It's logical, however his conclusion is wrong.

Microsoft is competing against the hypothetical (and I'd argue real) competition from Apple, Google, and Amazon for all the devices and services in your everyday life, which encompasses work and play. It's why Microsoft has been branding the Xbox 360 and One as entertainment devices. It's why they consolidated their TV, movie, music, and games initiatives all under Xbox (think back to Mediacenter, Mediaroom, Zune, Kin, GFWL, etc.). It's why Xbox is not just in the living room, but also available on any Windows 8 device.

Anyone suggesting MS will ditch the Xbox division is suggesting they are going to ditch the consumer all together.

There was already a shift in the mobile market, from dedicated gaming devices to multi-purpose devices (smartphones and tablets). The same thing will happen in the living room, away from dedicated gaming consoles and cable boxes towards multi-purpose devices. It's a matter of when, not if.

I disagree - I think smartphones and tablets are becoming the multi purpose devices of the living room so in my opinion there is no need for a separate living room "all in one entertainment" device besides the monitor/tv itself.
A tablet is perfectly capable of delivering all your multimedia needs if you choose so. The only field where it falls short is gaming and that's why I think dedicated gaming hw that's capable of delivering "high def" gaming "experiences" (I feel like a marketing person now ^^) still has it's place.

So the first conclusion I draw is that MS is trying to offer something for which there is no demand now and won't be there in the future.

And then look at MS's vision for their "all in one entertainment" device. They are banking on live TV for gods sake. They didn't include a DVR (congratulations on invalidating your "all in one" strategy) and the integration of external DVR is sub-par at best from what I gather. This extremely "coherent" strategy is rounded off by the extreme focus on US needs while ignoring the rest of the world (e.g. 60Hz vs 50Hz).

Therefore the second conclusion I draw is that even if my first assertion were to be wrong Microsoft is not doing a good job at realizing its own vision.

That leaves me with a final conclusion - Microsoft's strategy wasn't sound from the beginning and is failing because of that. I think they are delivering the vision they have for Xbox one 5-10 years late.

Steffen

Banned

All I can say is thankfully you don't actually own and operate a company.

see5harp

Yes, and they will decide to pull the plug.

Steffen

Banned
Yes, and they will decide to pull the plug.

So what you're saying is you want Microsoft to pull out of the console game so Sony is its own competition? Remember what happened the last time that happened?

We got the overpriced PS3 and a Cell processor.

If anything, Playstation gamers should want Microsoft to succeed enough to keep Sony in check.

MercuryLS

Banned
The only way MS sells off the Xbox division is if they believe that it's not central to their long term strategy anymore. If they feel that their money and time is better spent elsewhere and this market is too much of a distraction for them.

The truth is, as an organization, MS doesn't give a shit about console gaming. The profits they can get from this market, even at the best of times, is a rounding error to them. The only reason they're in this market is to control the living room and everything you do on a TV. That's what drove the development of the XB1, with it's HDMI in and Kinect focus. If they don't achieve the kind of penetration they need to make this endeavor worth their efforts, I can see them selling the division. If the sales of XB1 is substantially less than Xbox 360 (my prediction is half), that will be a big failure for MS. For people arguing that it's about profit and not sales - it's the exact opposite, MS knows that this isn't a profitable venture, they're in it for household penetration and broadening the reach of their ecosystem (Skype, Onedrive, XBL, etc). That only works when you've got a shitton of consoles sold. They're going to contract HARD this gen and that's going to give investors more ammo to cut off the Xbox brand.

Top Bottom