• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you abuse the ref on Fifa when Kinect is listening...

Actually there should be. If you are a that much of a baby to swear at a video game of all things then the game should give you a minor penalty
kick
to teach you some manners.

I actually don't swear while playing games (or at least try very hard not to), but I can appreciate that many people do. This is beginning to look like infringement of freedom of speech rights (at least in Canada/USA).

People were in an uproar when they found out Kinect was always on. This, without the functionality to turn it off, is permissible?

pretty cool. they should enable that for PS4 version, unless the microphone on kinect is made from secret alien alloys and runs on the blood of virgins.

Mortemis

Banned
The reason it works for FIFA - and would also fit in NBA, Madden, NHL etc - is because that kind of language and conduct is usually deemed unacceptable in such situations as a live sporting event.

Meanwhile, saying "FUCK" a lot in a battlefield is a bit weirder to punish. Also those are rated 18.

Makes sense, plus I doubt Activision would want to deal with tons of raging customers mad they got kicked off. lol

I actually don't swear while playing games (or at least try very hard not to), but I can appreciate that many people do. This is beginning to look like infringement of freedom of speech rights (at least in Canada/USA).

People were in an uproar when they found out Kinect was always on. This, without the functionality to turn it off, is permissible?

Well as long as it's all fun and games and within certain limits like FIFA reversing controls or COD giving you time-outs it should be fine. Now if you start banning people, accounts or consoles for any length of time then it becomes a genuine issue. And a national issue if the Kinect sends the police to your door although that is an impossibility... it is right?

Reversed

I haven't seen coaches getting penalized for profanities (and I've seen them swearing live).

This gives me mixed feelings. Good for promoting the sportsmanlike attitude, but an eeh what for the rest. I'm not their client, though.

hayguyz

Banned
don't know why most of this thread thinks this is cool. i find this pretty disturbing. what else is xbone listening to?

Syril

p1qmqwu.jpg

Works a little too well

Is that it giving you a game over for swearing in its presence? What the fuck is this shit?

Minions

Between this and suspensions for what you say on Skype... creepy.

I guess no matter how hard they try to downplay it, the kinect is listening/logging what you say.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
BRB, making a "swear jar" kinect app.

Not really, but if anyone runs with the idea, feel free to kick me some royalties.

If implemented correctly, I'd enjoy this in a sports video game. If, for example, you could get a technical in an NBA game, ejected in an MLB game, and possibly fines in a career mode. Having your career majorly impacted by a firing/release is too much for foul language.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I have some questions that if the answers are right, I am more than okay with this. In fact, I might even like it.

1. Can your calls get reveresed or swung in your favor if you yell?
  2. Can you turn it off from the game?

clemenx

Banned
Actually there should be. If you are a that much of a baby to swear at a video game of all things then the game should give you a minor penalty
kick
to teach you some manners.

Says who? Developers are now moral police?

I'd use any damn language I please in my home, thanks.

Same sort of thing happens on NBA2k for PS4 and I assume xbone. Curse at a foul call gets you a technical. Immediately removed my microphone lol

Ok, now THAT'S next gen!

Or just an improvement from when you could alert guards with your voice in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory co-op.

Minions

I have some questions that if the answers are right, I am more than okay with this. In fact, I might even like it.

1. Can your calls get reveresed or swung in your favor if you yell?
  2. Can you turn it off from the game?

Unplug the damn kinect; It is being gimmicky in a bad way.... it is policing everyone that purchases the console now. 1984 style.

I thought Microsoft was trying to gloss over this stuff by saying the Kinect was not logging anything.

besada

Banned
Unplug the damn kinect; It is being gimmicky in a bad way.... it is policing everyone that purchases the console now. 1984 style.

I thought Microsoft was trying to gloss over this stuff by saying the Kinect was not logging anything.

Listening and logging are two different things. It's obviously always listening, otherwise it would be completely useless. Logging implies it's keeping a permanent record of what you're saying that can be looked at by someone. There's exactly zero evidence of that.

Minions

Listening and logging are two different things. It's obviously always listening, otherwise it would be completely useless. Logging implies it's keeping a permanent record of what you're saying that can be looked at by someone. There's exactly zero evidence of that.

If it didn't log, then people wouldn't be suspended for cursing when using the movie studio and Skype.... At the very least they are text logging skype... but I doubt they would not be listening either. After all the NSA already has an agreement to monitor skype conversions.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57593339-38/nsa-docs-boast-now-we-can-wiretap-skype-video-calls/

Minions

Yep they have 10 million NSA agents listening in to hear what you say while playing a game, people better watch it.

No need for that. Kinect picks up on certain words all the time then responds accordingly. All they need to do is flag certain words and then have it record what you say. If the Xbox one is like the PS4 you can record PAST things as well. So perhaps when it hears a word it records the past 5 minutes + the future 5 minutes. Then you only need a few people to go through the recorded footage to see if there is anything. They already do this with phone calls, twitter, and facebook.

Tratorn

That will be probably really cool the first few times (especially if you don't know this), but will be getting old pretty fast.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'd lol if after the 10th time you get this email it will be forwarded to MS and your gamertag gets flagged for inappropriate behavior.

Top Bottom