• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you keep your HDMI Black level? (Normal or Low)

CJbM0ypm.jpg

PillarEN

That's a shame, but have you tried adjusting brightness, contrast, gamma and backlight to correct it?

I think this is were I got my calibration videos that I've used on my screens: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ion.html#/forumsite/3207/topics/948496?page=1
Hmm... I'll give it a go. The thing is it's not like the image is washed out or anything on Normal so I'm not bothered by it. I am mostly concerned about losing image (crushed blacks) but I'll tinker with the settings some more to see if I can alleviate that.

iMax

OK, here's the deal.

If you're using a TV, set all your devices to Limited/16-235. If your manufacturer is ambiguous about this, you can test yourself by using a RGB range test card.

Don't bother with 0-255. If you're using a TV, you will not see any difference at all. That's because content built for TV is almost always 16-235, including Blu-Ray and broadcasts. Your TV will adjust accordingly and output a 16-black as absolute black.

If you are using 0-255 on a TV and you do see a difference, you're getting black crush. That's when there's a signal mismatch and you're essentially sacrificing shadow detail for deeper blacks/dat pop.

PS4 Auto has always been broken for me so don't bother with that either.

Hmm... I'll give it a go. The thing is it's not like the image is washed out or anything on Normal so I'm not bothered by it. I am mostly concerned about losing image (crushed blacks) but I'll tinker with the settings some more to see if I can alleviate that.

Best of luck to you.

Jesus.

Most TV's don't support full RGB, so usually on TV it should Limited/Normal on both the console and TV.

PC Monitors do support full RGB, so usually on monitors it should be Full on both the console and monitor.

Yeah, I've heard dithering come up before, but I really don't understand a lot about that.

Here's a quick example I just made in Photoshop:

n23lS8a.png

My TV: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071O4EKU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Those samsung tv's along with a few other model numbers have a hit and miss panel selection inside.
It's a random pot luck lottery which one you get with your tv, some are great whilst others are cheaper versions.
Do a google search for samsung panel lottery.
I bought one a few years back and had to return it twice until i got one with a good panel inside.
If your tv isn't that old you can return and say it has a bad panel inside, any store will know exactly what you mean and offer a replacement.
You have to keep returning it until you luck out, or check in store if possible. I have no idea how this isn't illegal because people are paying the same price for a tv which could come with so many different quality panels inside.

Samsung uses 4 different panel types from four different manufacturers - each with a substantially different technology.

You can tell which panel YOUR TV has by the "Version" on the sticker outside of the box. There's also a sticker on the back of the TV; the "Version" code is below the Model number and above the S/N. BTW, reviews can't be interpreted without the four-digit Version code because they are quite simply different TV's. Here's how to interpret them:
("x" means a number, probably from 1-4, that represents the version of that panel - higher means newer but not always better).

TH0x or TS0x: Samsung S-PVA panel (possibly just a PVA, if you're less lucky): This is what you thought you were buying. Best color, best black, best viewing angles.
HS0x: Sharp ASV panel: Lower contrast ratio, more narrow viewing angle. I read HS02 in particular has terrible ghosting.
A_0X: AOU A-MVA panel: Even lower contrast ratio.
CH0x or CM0x or CS0x: Chimea S-MVA panel: You lost the lottery. Markedly worse in every way - way worse viewing angle, color reproduction, etc. Just a terrible rip-off.

Tell me about it.

Why can't manufactures just ship their TV with the settings to look good?
1) Energy Star requires default settings that save energy not settings that give the best picture.
2) The video processing is different and Video LCD panels have different specs model to model. (see very good post above)
3) It's going to get worse with UHD Blu-ray HDR (High Dynamic Range) and with HD TVs that support HDR as seen in this PDF.
4) PS4 and XB1 do have video processing builtin. To support VR the PS4 can output a 60Hz, 90Hz and 120Hz Frame Rate which is one of the reasons it needed a custom HDMI port, the other being HDMI 2.a and maybe the coming HFR (High Frame Rate) UHD Blu-ray. Yes the PS4 will be a UHD Blu-ray player with Digital bridge.

Note: No HDMI 1.4 can support the above frame rates (90Hz and 120Hz). There are two factors in HDMI 2.0 that we need to consider for a custom HDMI port, Frame rate which we know can be supported and in each frame resolution and higher number of bits per pixel which needs a faster clock and bandwidth. HDCP is also part of HDMI 1.4 but new recommendations for HDMI 2 want the HDCP encryption to take place in the same TEE with the video processing, for the PS4 that's Southbridge.

There are noticeable differences in TVs supporting HDR and proposals to fix this issue.

KyleCross

Those samsung tv's along with a few other model numbers have a hit and miss panel selection inside.
It's a random pot luck lottery which one you get with your tv, some are great whilst others are cheaper versions.
Do a google search for samsung panel lottery.
I bought one a few years back and had to return it twice until i got one with a good panel inside.
If your tv isn't that old you can return and say it has a bad panel inside, any store will know exactly what you mean and offer a replacement.
You have to keep returning it until you luck, out or check in store if possible. I have no idea how this isn't illegal because people are paying the same price for a tv which could come with so many different quality panels inside.
Ah, so I'm just screwed eh? I bought the TV from Amazon back in 2012, no returning that.

Ah, so I'm just screwed eh? I bought the TV from Amazon back in 2012, no returning that.

You might not be, check the service menu or on some models the back of the tv.
It's a widely known huge issue with certain samsung models.
Just google search panel lottery and cross your fingers when you check your t.v

I returned my samsung tv twice in order to get a good panel, the first had a Chimea panel inside, the second one was better with a sharp panel but i really wanted a samsung one, after all paid for a samsung tv so i expect a samsung panel.
When i returned the second tv, i explained my situation and the shop told me to wait 2 weeks,i think they must have checked at the warehouse before shipping it as they then sent me a new one and the panel inside was samsung.
The difference was night and day, especially between the Chimea and the samsung panels. Almost like a completely different tv even though it was exactly the same model.
It's like paying for a samsung tv and getting a cheap knockoff asda/walmart tv hidden inside the shell of a samsung one.

check for these on the back of the t.v, if it's not there then you can check by entering the service menu...
TH0x or TS0x: Samsung S-PVA panel (possibly just a PVA, if you're less lucky): This is what you thought you were buying. Best color, best black, best viewing angles.
HS0x: Sharp ASV panel: Lower contrast ratio, more narrow viewing angle. I read HS02 in particular has terrible ghosting.
A_0X: AOU A-MVA panel: Even lower contrast ratio.
CH0x or CM0x or CS0x Chimea S-MVA panel: You lost the lottery. Markedly worse in every way - way worse viewing angle, color reproduction, etc. Just a terrible rip-off.

Theorry

Bit of a kick. But just started gaming on a monitor with my xbox one.
So the best option would be PC RGB on the xbox one with Black Level normal?

Bit of a kick. But just started gaming on a monitor with my xbox one.
So the best option would be PC RGB on the xbox one with Black Level normal?

Pretty sure most PC monitors are full RGB, so I would go with normal. Look up the model number of the monitor online and see if it's either full or limited. LCD tvs are usually limited range

ced

This shit is so confusing.

It really is, and I honestly can't ever figure out if the settings are wrong. It's like I think it's ok on one game then the next the gamma slider setting is all fucked up.

I move TVs quite a bit as well, so I leave the PS4 on auto and my main Samsung is set to normal. I have no idea if that works correctly but whatever.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I have set my TV to Normal (vs Low) and PS4 to Full. Did the test with the black and grey boxes online and can see a difference between all of them.

But what is this about BluRays being Limited? Shouldn't the PS4 output this Full when set to Full regardless if it is a Game or a Movie?

Top Bottom